CANADA Canada - Audrey Gleave, 73, Ancaster ON, 30 Dec 2010 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Murder arrest may lead to mental-health debate

I commend the Hamilton police force for their fine job in arresting the suspect in the Audrey Gleave homicide. I’m sure the community is relieved as well.

I hope the local media covers the story as it winds its way through the criminal justice system.

<<<<<<<<<<<<more at link>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

http://www.thespec.com/opinion/lett...urder-arrest-may-lead-to-mental-health-debate

If I recall correctly, LE said that DLS was a "fixture" in the community. Always hanging around the same places.

If that's the case, wouldn't LE and other street people know DLS fairly well and therefore his whereabouts?

I'm just trying to piece all of this together.:innocent:

DLS is indeed a 'fixture' in the community..... I would say that anyone spending time in the downtown (government workers, business owners, university students, Expositor workers, church goers, as well as people who live in the area) are familiar with him.... however, these people do NOT necessarily know him by name, and especially his last name. IMHO there are MANY people who have not yet connected the homeless person they are familiar with, with the name in the newspapers, and these people may well have seen him in the latter part of December.

If LE is seeking information from people who saw him before he was arrested in late December, they need to post a photo of him. Anything less and they are missing out on all kinds of potentially helpful (to either side) information, and you have to wonder why. It has now been a month and a half. Will the people who may have seen him around that time really remember dates and particulars at this late date, even if they post the picture now?

That's what I meant Hazel ... worked just before I made my post about it, and now it's gone.
The turquoise you are seeing is the officer's latex evidence gloves. It is much more clear in the video when you can click through it frame by frame.

ETA: This is the basic shape of what i believe i was seeing:

http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=...13&ndsp=8&ved=1t:429,r:3,s:91&biw=801&bih=445
Very odd, isn't it SB? why edit that part out?

Yep, the turquoise is the index finger and thumb of the LE officer (latex gloves) while holding up the "object" ... the other officer is holding an evidence bag, but that one we don't know what it could contain.

To me the "object" looks like a gardening tool, maybe a pruning saw? The handle and body is silver in colour, and the blade is dark (perhaps black), though the blade looks too long for it to be a pruning saw :waitasec:

Wish we could still watch that "scene" on the video clip...much easier to make up the shape while it is being picked up than on a still frame.

Not exactly how the "object" looks to me, but thought it could be a tool for cutting twigs or small branches. Cannot find anything with an extended blade though.

http://ninimakes.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8357ada6869e2013483823ddc970c-pi

shape-wise more like the one at the bottom: http://www.elegantgalaxy.com/images/stanley-hacksaw.jpg

I guess it is called: "mini hacksaw" or "utility hacksaw"? we need the expert opinion of a gentleman...Valleyboy, are you around? :)

DLS is indeed a 'fixture' in the community..... I would say that anyone spending time in the downtown (government workers, business owners, university students, Expositor workers, church goers, as well as people who live in the area) are familiar with him.... however, these people do NOT necessarily know him by name, and especially his last name. IMHO there are MANY people who have not yet connected the homeless person they are familiar with, with the name in the newspapers, and these people may well have seen him in the latter part of December.

If LE is seeking information from people who saw him before he was arrested in late December, they need to post a photo of him. Anything less and they are missing out on all kinds of potentially helpful (to either side) information, and you have to wonder why. It has now been a month and a half. Will the people who may have seen him around that time really remember dates and particulars at this late date, even if they post the picture now?

I have a question for you:
Since you concur that DLS was a "fixture" in a populated area, why do you think he'd be using that barn? Was it a 'home' for him? Were there other places where DLS could have found housing? Were there other "fixtures" who could have taken him to the barn? Was he used by someone else who was "sane" enough to commit the crime against Audrey?

I'm trying to understand why DLS (who was very much 'at home' on the public streets) would all of a sudden take shelter in the barn which was far away (relatively) from his usual hangouts.

Any info you can provide?

Thanks.

John Burman and Teri Pecoskie 6 minutes ago &#8216;Downtown fixture&#8217; found in pool of blood
Gary Yokoyama/The...SUSPICIOUS DEATHPolice are investigating the discovery of a body at the back door of a Cathcart Street home early Wednesday.
The woman found dead in the back yard a Cathcart Street home Wednesday morning has been identified and remembered as a well known panhandler and &#8220;&#8230;a downtown fixture.&#8221;

The body of 37-year-old Laura Ann Young was discovered just after 9 a.m. in a snowbank behind 116 Cathcart St., said Detective Sergeant Ian Matthews, who identified the woman Wednesday night.
read more.
http://www.thespec.com/news/local/article/486296--downtown-fixture-found-in-pool-of-blood

So, two "downtown fixtures" in Hamilton have been in the news in recent months.

First DLS, a homeless person arrested for the horrific murder of Audrey Gleave.

Now, LAY, a homeless person found murdered.

Does seem a little unusual.

So, two "downtown fixtures" in Hamilton have been in the news in recent months.

First DLS, a homeless person arrested for the horrific murder of Audrey Gleave.

Now, LAY, a homeless person found murdered.

Does seem a little unusual.

Totally agree. What are the chances of TWO "fixtures" being newsworthy in such a short period of time.:twocents:

My question/first thought:
Does *someone* have a thing against the local "fixtures"?:waitasec:

I guess it is called: "mini hacksaw" or "utility hacksaw"? we need the expert opinion of a gentleman...Valleyboy, are you around? :)
<snip>

Looks very similar to the hacksaw in the second link you provided, Hazel. I believe you are right on the colour too. I was initially thinking the handle was white plastic, but after blowing up a screenshot 500%, it does look silver. With the "extension" at the top end (between the main body of the item and where the officer is holding it with his fingertips), I would estimate the entire length, blade included, to be about 15".

Of course, we don't know 100% that the item is related, but how often do you find a hacksaw discarded in the ditch, in close proximity to the scene of a vicious crime?. I can visualize some criminal dude walking around with a knife, but a hacksaw? Am wondering if it is an item that was in the residence.

ETA: (sorry .. i'm not Valleyboy, and am not a gentleman either ;))

I have a question for you:
Since you concur that DLS was a "fixture" in a populated area, why do you think he'd be using that barn? Was it a 'home' for him? Were there other places where DLS could have found housing? Were there other "fixtures" who could have taken him to the barn? Was he used by someone else who was "sane" enough to commit the crime against Audrey?

I'm trying to understand why DLS (who was very much 'at home' on the public streets) would all of a sudden take shelter in the barn which was far away (relatively) from his usual hangouts.

Any info you can provide?

Thanks.

Don't recall where NSU, but i read somewhere (IIRC, it was in a "Comment" section of an online news article) that DLS actually "rented" the barn from the lady who owns the property. Only saw it once, so not sure that it is true, but it was posted by someone who claimed to know DLS.

Scott is 50 and Ms. Gleave was 73. When did she start teaching? Any possibility that she crossed paths with Scott at the high school? If he had special needs, he might have been around the school a bit longer than other students. In the US that would be through age 21.

Also, Ms. Gleave was known to go to coffee with her friends. Any chance that Scott did pick-up work at restaurants around town and knew her from there? The golf course, the vet's? Do we know where the vet's home is in relation to where Scott was living? Ms. Gleave had just stopped by there to pick up meds for the dogs.

FWIW, the fact that DLS's rant included reference to Northrop Frye, indicates to me that he is not an uneducated man.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northrop_Frye

Don't recall where NSU, but i read somewhere (IIRC, it was in a "Comment" section of an online news article) that DLS actually "rented" the barn from the lady who owns the property. Only saw it once, so not sure that it is true, but it was posted by someone who claimed to know DLS.
I am trying to recall where I first read that DLS was allowed to stay at the barn in exchange for cleaning it up.

Yes, I recall also that the word "rented" was used somewhere regarding DLS and the barn. Or, perhaps the phrase was more along the lines of - "was allowed to use the barn". Nonetheless, it seemed clear to me that DLS had some sort of permission to actually be in the barn.:twocents:

<snip>

Looks very similar to the hacksaw in the second link you provided, Hazel. I believe you are right on the colour too. I was initially thinking the handle was white plastic, but after blowing up a screenshot 500%, it does look silver. With the "extension" at the top end (between the main body of the item and where the officer is holding it with his fingertips), I would estimate the entire length, blade included, to be about 15".

Of course, we don't know 100% that the item is related, but how often do you find a hacksaw discarded in the ditch, in close proximity to the scene of a vicious crime?. I can visualize some criminal dude walking around with a knife, but a hacksaw? Am wondering if it is an item that was in the residence.

ETA: (sorry .. i'm not Valleyboy, and am not a gentleman either ;))

Most of the time I am not a gentleman either.

Here is a link of pictures of pruning saws and some do resemble electric knifes.

http://www.google.ca/images?hl=en&s...saw&btnG=Search+Images&gbv=2&biw=1020&bih=461

Derelict barn scoured for clues
Itinerant man in custody was squatter in barn near Lynden scene

http://www.thespec.com/news/local/article/308182--derelict-barn-scoured-for-clues
Here it is,i from LilyMacBloom's link.

The homeless man told Baillie and her husband, Dave, that he had permission to stay in the barn in return for cleaning it out.

Mike MacMillan, who also lives nearby, said the homeless man was often seen in the area, sometimes with no shirt on. MacMillan's wife once saw him holding an axe.

“You see him every now and then walking down the road,” MacMillan said.

Here it is,i from LilyMacBloom's link.

The homeless man told Baillie and her husband, Dave, that he had permission to stay in the barn in return for cleaning it out.

Mike MacMillan, who also lives nearby, said the homeless man was often seen in the area, sometimes with no shirt on. MacMillan's wife once saw him holding an axe.

“You see him every now and then walking down the road,” MacMillan said.

:clap:Good work in locating the post/comment.:clap:

However, isn't this a contradiction regarding all of the citizens who say DLS is a "fixture" in the populated area? What is it - barn living or street living?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther