GUILTY Canada - Gavin Adams, 17, St John NB, 14 Dec 2013

Thank you so much, Sandpiper. I was hoping you would take a look at that for me. :loveyou:

I am having trouble locating the parking lot. (I always found this area confusing. I can orientate myself a little from St. Luke's, though.)

So, the screenshot below is Hilyard at the train crossing? (I'm not sure if that's the train crossing. I don't remember it.)
vq5vf8.jpg

And I walked the little brown Google man underneath it. Would this be the parking lot?
2lay92c.jpg

I'll adjust my map if you think this is the right place.

Yep, I took it like that; and I agree. If I'm recalling correctly, they said they found him in a 'bank' of snow. :(

They didn't report Gavin missing until around 5:30 pm on Sunday, so I suppose that would give them some excuse for missing him.

Our storm started around 8:00 am and we had quite a bit on the ground by 5:30 pm.

Yes Truth the police were digging just behind the bus in the second picture. The truck is blocking the view of the actual spot.

Yes Truth the police were digging just behind the bus in the second picture. The truck is blocking the view of the actual spot.
Thank you!! :heartbeat:

I have it corrected.

29fz85g.jpg
http://goo.gl/maps/YFdJt

If you go to street view under "C" location, all you will need to do is to turn the wheel at the top right slightly clockwise to see the parking lot.

Marker “A” – Canada Games Aquatic Center, 50 Union Street, Saint John, NB. Gavin attend a high school swim meet then returned home around 6:00 pm, on Saturday, December 14, 2013.

Marker “B” – Orange Street. This is the approximate area of Gavin’s home. After returning from the swim meet, he then left to hang out with a friend.

Marker “C” – Location of parking lot where Gavin was found deceased at 4:30 pm, Monday, December 16, 2013.

For a quick look, I have done this screen shot.
puq9l.jpg

The last thing I want to do is make comparisons where there are none, but I can't help noticing the similarities of the final journeys these two young people made.

2hggxs9.jpg
http://goo.gl/maps/XPB0I
Gavin Adams, December 14, 2013.

34j809h.jpg
http://goo.gl/maps/ex4ML
Genevieve Cormier, September 29, 2013.

I wonder why he was walking away from downtown on such a bitterly cold night.Would the parking lot be used as a shortcut to Chesley Drive?Poor Gavin :(

2nrng3d.jpg

Gavin Jason Adams
1996-2013

Gavin was born in Saint John, NB, on April 18, 1996. Right from a very young age, Gavin showed an incredible sense of humour, which resonated with both young and old. His sensitivity and intuitive understanding gave him a gift of engaging with people. He loved his guitar, self-taught, he shared his music with an entrepreneurial spirit. Gavin's independent nature led him to explore wholeheartedly different activities in life from the swim team to choir, from science to drama. Gavin was a devoted dependable friend.

Read more: http://www.brenansfh.com/obituaries/84536

I wonder why he was walking away from downtown on such a bitterly cold night.Would the parking lot be used as a shortcut to Chesley Drive?Poor Gavin :(
Maybe my map is misleading, Jilly; and I apologize, if so.

I don't think we know what direction he was walking. He had attended his swim meet and returned home. It was reported that he left his home with a friend some time after that.

Location "C" is as near as I could put the marker to where his remains were found; but he was also seen in this same vicinity at approximately 9:00 pm, Saturday night.

I suppose he could have even left there, and somehow returned--walking all over the city, or maybe even driving a vehicle or had accepted a drive.

We have no details on what he and his friend may have done after they left the Orange Street area; and no confirmation that they were walking.

If he was walking, though, he most likely would have walked the route outlined by Google, but he could have been returning home--which would put him walking to the uptown area.

I zoomed in as much as I could on the map, but I didn't see any paths through that area. I also didn't see anything that would indicate that you couldn't walk across it, either.

I noticed his birthday is April 18th, so I don't know what that was about on his Facebook page.

I have just stumbled on these threads of the young people missing and then found deceased in the same town. I am a world away in the Australia but if something like this was happening here I'm sure we would not rest until we knew what was going on. Too easy to put down to accidents or suicides. Just too much of a coincidence in my opinion .

I have just stumbled on these threads of the young people missing and then found deceased in the same town. I am a world away in the Australia but if something like this was happening here I'm sure we would not rest until we knew what was going on. Too easy to put down to accidents or suicides. Just too much of a coincidence in my opinion .

Welcome Marg from Oz and I agree too many coincidences. Although the others were female, is this someone's way of throwing people off believing "accidents and suicides" happen? Slip and fall into water, jumping to their death committing suicide, depression... Or could it be if someone is doing this they are now letting people know it doesn't matter whether you're male or female; anyone is a target. Very troubling and sad. I just hope his autopsy was very thorough and looked at by more than one coroner kwim.

RIP Gavin. Gone too soon. :(

Thank you!! :heartbeat:

I have it corrected.

29fz85g.jpg
http://goo.gl/maps/YFdJt

If you go to street view under "C" location, all you will need to do is to turn the wheel at the top right slightly clockwise to see the parking lot.

Marker “A” – Canada Games Aquatic Center, 50 Union Street, Saint John, NB. Gavin attend a high school swim meet then returned home around 6:00 pm, on Saturday, December 14, 2013.

Marker “B” – Orange Street. This is the approximate area of Gavin’s home. After returning from the swim meet, he then left to hang out with a friend.

Marker “C” – Location of parking lot where Gavin was found deceased at 4:30 pm, Monday, December 16, 2013.

For a quick look, I have done this screen shot.
puq9l.jpg

Another area where someone could have parked their vehicle waiting for someone walking. Kind of secluded depending how they parked their vehicle. Is this just around the curve of what looks like to be a somewhat busy intersection? Just wondering if there is no perp and Gavin death was accidental; maybe it was a hit and run. Someone coming around the corner and he may have been crossing the street? Was he thrown and then the plows came out at dark and didn't see his body covering it in snow? JMO. Very sad none the less.

Another area where someone could have parked their vehicle waiting for someone walking. Kind of secluded depending how they parked their vehicle. Is this just around the curve of what looks like to be a somewhat busy intersection? Just wondering if there is no perp and Gavin death was accidental; maybe it was a hit and run. Someone coming around the corner and he may have been crossing the street? Was he thrown and then the plows came out at dark and didn't see his body covering it in snow? JMO. Very sad none the less.
Indeed--very sad, under any circumstances. :(

BBM - Yes, it can be an extremely busy intersection.

Usually they are allowed to report an accident as a hit and run. Sometimes they request the public's help in finding the driver who left the scene of the accident, as this is a criminal offense.

Surely there were working surveillance cameras somewhere near the area--it would be interesting to see what they show.

Indeed--very sad, under any circumstances. :(

BBM - Yes, it can be an extremely busy intersection.

Usually they are allowed to report an accident as a hit and run. Sometimes they request the public's help in finding the driver who left the scene of the accident, as this is a criminal offense.

Surely there were working surveillance cameras somewhere near the area--it would be interesting to see what they show.

BBM - Great thought Truth! I wonder if investigators have thought of that. May be worth someone local calling that idea in just to be certain. We need answers so people can be certain in this case (all cases actually), there is no foul play and what conclusion they came to via details. MOO.

BBM - Great thought Truth! I wonder if investigators have thought of that. May be worth someone local calling that idea in just to be certain. We need answers so people can be certain in this case (all cases actually), there is no foul play and what conclusion they came to via details. MOO.
Yeppers, Swedie!

I'm not the gambling type, but my bet is they have absolutely thought about it.

"What have they seen?" is my question.

If they had answers, my guess is that they would drop a few pearls to calm the nerves of the public.

I see a message in these empty platitudes, but not the ones their words imply.

From October 2016:

Testimony concludes in Richard Valiquette's criminal negligence trial

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/richard-valiquette-gavin-adams-trial-concludes-1.3812502

Justice Frederick Ferguson will deliver his decision on Feb. 20 on whether Richard Valiquette is guilty of criminal negligence causing death in connection with the 2013 drug-related death of Saint John teenager Gavin Adams.

The Crown concluded its case on Wednesday and defence lawyer Brian Ferguson did not call any witnesses.

Valiquette's trial on the criminal negligence causing death charge began on Oct. 3. He is accused of giving Gavin a substance not intended for human consumption and in reckless disregard for his safety.

On Oct. 3, Valiquette pleaded guilty to producing the drug DMT. Charges of drug trafficking and possession of a drug for the purpose of trafficking were dropped.

Valiquette is to be sentenced on the charge of producing DMT on Feb. 20.

Richard Valiquette guilty of criminal negligence in drug-related death of Gavin Adams

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/valiquette-adams-drug-25i-verdict-sj-1.3989237

A judge has found Richard Valiquette guilty of criminal negligence causing the drug-related death of 17-year-old Gavin Adams more than three years ago in Saint John.

Justice Fred Ferguson delivered his 164-page verdict Monday morning in Saint John's Court of Queen's Bench.

Valiquette, 28, was accused of giving Gavin a substance unfit for human consumption, with reckless disregard for the Saint John High School student's safety.

The offence carries a maximum sentence of life in prison.

A sentencing hearing has been scheduled for April 12 at 9:30 a.m., when victim impact statements are expected to be submitted.

"Given that temperatures were hovering at -25 Celsius with the wind chill that evening, when one considers the impact of the drug given to [Gavin and his friend] by Mr. Valiquette there is no other conclusion that can be reached than that Mr. Valiquette's actions, in giving the drug 25I to Gavin Adams, contributed significantly to his death," Ferguson said.

"'But for the actions of Mr. Valiquette it is impossible to conclude Gavin Adams's physical health and life would have been in any jeopardy that evening."

Crown seeks minimum 3-year prison term for drug dealer convicted in teen's death

The Crown is seeking a minimum three-year prison term for a Saint John man convicted of criminal negligence in the drug-related death of a teenager in 2013.

Richard Valiquette, 28, was found guilty of the charge stemming from the death of Gavin Adams, whose body was found partly buried in snow on Dec. 16, 2013, two days after witnesses placed the 17-year-old in Valiquette's apartment.

Court of Queen's Bench Justice Frederick Ferguson will sentence Valiquette on May 16, but he heard submissions from the Crown and defence, 13 victim impact statements and remarks from Valiquette during a sentencing hearing in Saint John on Wednesday.

Gavin's younger sister, Elspeth, who was the last one to see him alive, wrote, "What if I had done things different?"

His mother, Sonja Adams, said she also wonders what she could have done to protect him.

"How desperately I miss him," she wrote in the statement read aloud by the Crown. "He had so much potential. It crushes me."

Snowy, cold days are the worst for her, she said.

"They bring back images of Gavin's body frozen in the snow. My body aches."

Valiquette, who has remained free pending sentencing, told the court Gavin was "a really good friend."

He felt "very close" to Gavin; a "kinship," a "like-mindedness," he said.

"I feel terrible about what happened," Valiquette said. "I feel terribly. I guess that's all I have to say."

Richard Valiquette sentenced to 3 years for drug-related death of Saint John teen

Richard Valiquette has been sentenced to three years in prison for criminal negligence in the drug-related death of Saint John teen Gavin Adams in 2013.

Valiquette, 28, was also sentenced Tuesday in Saint John Court of Queen's Bench to one year, to be served concurrently, for producing DMT (N,N-Dimethyltryptamine), a hallucinogenic drug.

Outside the court, Gavin's father, David Adams, cautioned parents that the drugs of today are far more dangerous than the drugs of their youth.

"It's much, much more dangerous," he said. "And I think parents need to know that their experience is nothing like their children's experience and need to talk with their children."

Valiquette, who remained free pending sentencing, told the court during the sentencing hearing that he felt "terrible about what happened."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janisjoplin
Back