CANADA Canada - Helen Robertson, 79, Burlington, Ont, 5 July 2016

Still no news? It is very sad indeed it's not looking good. It's dreadful this awful disease my grandpa died from it he used to wonder out my grandparents apartment when our backs were turned and end up lost miles away. I think gps bracelets are a good idea in this situation.

I feel so badly for this poor woman and her family. The hot weather we've been having is going to continue so I really hope they find her soon.

http://www.insidehalton.com/news-st...lington-woman-thankful-for-community-support/
Given that she has wandered off before, as an American RN with a special interest in geriatrics, it seems rather haphazard to keep mom at home alone for large parts of a day. Hoping for that quick phone call is really not a plan.
The other part of Alzheimer's that makes this wandering behavior so tough to deal with is that, until the later stages of the disease, most people look completely normal with their purse or wallet or keys. Until you attempt to talk with them at any length, you have no clue anything is wrong!
One time, coming onto a night shift, I was told of a new resident who was walking about in street clothes with her purse attempting to find her car and go home. As I passed this info onto my nurses aides, my friend Lou jumped and said,"I think I just held the door open for her to exit the building!" He immediately found her and brought her inside safely, laughing at himself. "Yeah, the houseshoes should have tipped me off!" It is easy for even professionals to miss the signs. Fortunately her car nor keys were in or at the building!

I'm sure if she had no ID they would contact the police.

Not necessarily. It would depend on how credible she appears. She may have told them that she has no family, or that she's trying to get to her home in ... Halifax(?) ... or that she doesn't want to go home. Even if hospital administrators know that her family is looking for her, privacy legislation prevents them from reporting her presence. Administrators may have decided that she has to go through testing to find out if she's competent to make her own decisions. That could take a few months! If she's at a hospital, a women's shelter or a hostel, she might not necessarily be reconnected with her family.

If it was my mom, I'd physically take posters with her picture and her family's picture, to every hospital, care facility and shelter in the city, hoping she sees it and that it triggers a memory for her that leads to her safe return home. I'd use visiting hours to look for her and not rely on the facilities to report her presence.

I doubt that she could survive on the street, and I would think that if she had died somewhere, she would have been found by now. It wouldn't surprise me that she's lost in the bewildering world of bureaucratic red tape.

Police have scaled back the search. :(

"We do not have any full-scale searches underway at this time. We have patrol officers still looking as a course of their normal duties. CIB (detectives) is continuing to investigate and receive/follow-up tips. If we receive information that gives us a place to look, we will commence further large-scale intensive searches.

"We are currently searching wooded areas but to date we have done extensive searches and utilized various resources and other agencies and have yet to find Helen," noted Hansen.

"We have fanned out Helen's photos to every police service, public transit etc. We are continually checking with hospitals," he added.
http://www.thespec.com/news-story/6764436-police-scale-back-search-for-missing-burlington-senior/

Police appeal to public in search for Helen Robertson

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/6766365-police-appeal-to-public-in-search-for-helen-robertson/

Officers involved in the search for Helen continue to look on their own time, planning runs and bike rides in unsearched areas.
The most important thing that can be done now, he says, is for everybody to join the search. That means homeowners checking backyards, sheds. Dog walkers checking parks, paths. Hikers checking trails.

Jeff and Jill now talk about their mother in the past tense. "I can't imagine a scenario where she'd be found OK," says Jeff.

So very sad.

B822605883Z.1_20160713230432_000_G701N244B.2_Content.jpg
Don and Helen Robertson, Nov. 9, 1957. It is shortly after they met and it is at a U of T football game at Varsity Stadium.

Police appeal to public in search for Helen Robertson

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/6766365-police-appeal-to-public-in-search-for-helen-robertson/

So very sad.

View attachment 98235
Don and Helen Robertson, Nov. 9, 1957. It is shortly after they met and it is at a U of T football game at Varsity Stadium.

What a beautiful, romantic photo, hope this lovely lady is located soon.

Somewhere, in the rest of the world, is Helen Robertson.

If you were to draw widening rings around Helen's lovely home in Burlington, you would mimic the search patterns of police.

Most people with Alzheimer's who wander are found in that first, small, circle. Others are found in the next, larger, circle. And so on.

But Helen, with her sturdy legs and love of walking, may be among the five per cent of missing who stroll out into the biggest circle of all.

"The rest of the world."

The phrase has stuck with Helen's children, Jeff and Jill, after hearing it at Halton Regional Police headquarters. Officers showed them maps of the many kilometres they have searched since Helen, 79, left home on July 5.

"It's overwhelming," Jill says, welling up. "That's when you notice how much brush, water is everywhere. It's impossible to search everywhere."

A massive search has taken place for nine sweltering days and there is not a trace of Helen. Not a sighting. Not a discarded piece of clothing. Not an image captured by a security camera.

I learned something very valuable yesterday regarding people with Alzheimer's or other Dementia related diseases.

An older gentleman walked into our office and asked for help. "Could I help him" he asked me through broken English. I said I would try. It was very hard to understand him but in the end he was asking me for $5.00. I asked what he wanted it for and he said, "for the bus...to go home". This was a well dressed, well groomed man. Not the kind of person that you would find typically asking for money. I was about to hand him $5.00 and then I remembered Helen and wondered if this gentleman had some cognitive impairment. Things just weren't right.

I asked him to sit in our reception, got him a drink and called Security. The first thing Security asked was if there was some family that he could call to help him...BRILLIANT - why didn't I think of that? They finally got a number, called family and had someone come and get him.

He had Alzheimer's and had slipped out of the house. They couldn't believe how far from home he had wandered.

So then I started thinking about Helen again, because I was quite prepared to give this man money to take the bus. Helen, in a confused state, may have asked someone for money, for a taxi, a bus, a train, who knows. If she ran into someone like me, who wanted to help, and just handed her some money she could have made it to Toronto or even further if she tried.

I'm actually hoping that this is what happened. I'm hoping beyond hope because I don't think Helen would be able to survive in the heat we've been having and then last night's storm.

I knew they would scale back the search eventually. It's just so sad.

Alzheimer's is a constant worry for a family, my I L, is very young ( for the disease) and attractive, one would never know, or even suspect by appearance, that they have that illness. My heart goes out to those who suffer with this memory thief and to all their worried families, everywhere.

I learned something very valuable yesterday regarding people with Alzheimer's or other Dementia related diseases.

An older gentleman walked into our office and asked for help. "Could I help him" he asked me through broken English. I said I would try. It was very hard to understand him but in the end he was asking me for $5.00. I asked what he wanted it for and he said, "for the bus...to go home". This was a well dressed, well groomed man. Not the kind of person that you would find typically asking for money. I was about to hand him $5.00 and then I remembered Helen and wondered if this gentleman had some cognitive impairment. Things just weren't right.

I asked him to sit in our reception, got him a drink and called Security. The first thing Security asked was if there was some family that he could call to help him...BRILLIANT - why didn't I think of that? They finally got a number, called family and had someone come and get him.

He had Alzheimer's and had slipped out of the house. They couldn't believe how far from home he had wandered.

So then I started thinking about Helen again, because I was quite prepared to give this man money to take the bus. Helen, in a confused state, may have asked someone for money, for a taxi, a bus, a train, who knows. If she ran into someone like me, who wanted to help, and just handed her some money she could have made it to Toronto or even further if she tried.

I'm actually hoping that this is what happened. I'm hoping beyond hope because I don't think Helen would be able to survive in the heat we've been having and then last night's storm.

Thank you for sharing this! I agree it's quite possible someone helped Helen to get somewhere farther away.

I'm again reminded of my grandmother who had Alzheimers. She used to ran off to "go home" to a particular street where she had lived when she was a young woman, before WW 2. That street did not exist anymore (it was bombed and then later the area was rebuilt, and streets were renamed), so she was never able to find it and wandered around confused. Thank God my family was always able to find her quickly.

Maybe Helen was trying to get a to a place/street/house where she used to live or work. But the family has probably considered this and has searched those areas, I hope.

This past March a man, thread below- with Alzheimer's, left his home in Toronto and was missing for several days, when a female LE, on a hunch thought to check a cottage in Midland that the man used to own years ago.
Sure enough, he was found there, just sitting on the porch, it was a huge distance from his home and the family could only speculate that he may have somehow hitched a ride to get there.
Ms Robertson has been missing longer than that, so the outcome may not be the same, although i hope there is a happy ending too.
Wonder if she head out to a sports field and tucked in under the bleachers, or to a cemetery to " visit "family?
imo, speculation.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...451968&highlight=Casto+Filazzola#post12451968

Casto Filazzola, 75, Toronto, 3 March 2016

Thank you for helping the gentleman find his way home (and for sharing the story)! :loveyou:

Cannot find any updates for Mrs Robertson, hoping that everyone is still keeping eyes open for her, the trouble is, that due to her strong ability to walk, she could be almost anywhere.
Hoping she found a pleasant spot to stop and rest, perhaps under a majestic tree, near a water fountain.
imo, speculation.

http://www.chch.com/missing-elderly-woman/
Shoe_1-300x225.jpg Shoe_2-300x225.jpg

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamil...initely-for-missing-helen-robertson-1.3690960

'We will keep searching indefinitely' for missing Helen Robertson
Helen Robertson has been missing since July 5

Jul 22, 2016
We cannot stop trying and we will not stop trying" to find her, said Sgt. Barry Milciw with Halton police.

"We will keep searching indefinitely," he said. "Unfortunately I'm not aware of any new sightings."
Relying on tips now

The nature of the search has changed.
'We searched everything. Every backyard. Every woodlot. Every pathway. We left no stone unturned," Staff Sgt. Ron Hansen told CBC Hamilton then.

Patrol officers are still keeping at eye out, collecting video and following leads. But police have done a targeted search of every possible hazard area around Robertson's home, and they've stopped.
'When you put yourself in the family's shoes'

Staff Sgt. Stephanie Jamieson asked anyone with information to call 905-825-4747 ext. 2305.

"Obviously, we don't know what's happened," she said. "When you put yourself in the family's shoes, you would hope that no one would stop looking."

Just joining you on this thread for Helen.

http://www.chch.com/bring-helen-home/
This article, dated 7/11/16, says:
Helen’s daughter told us that initial reports that her mother was wearing two different colour shoes was inaccurate and that they’re confident that she’s actually wearing black shoes. She also said her mom will be carrying a brown purse that should have her identification in it.
Also, I've read how she is very fit in other articles, and here it reinforces that by saying she's been a member of the Curves fitness gym for six years.

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/6...gton-s-helen-robertson-missing-since-tuesday/
This may jibe with the article above regarding what shoes Helen may be wearing.
While police initially described two different shoes she might be wearing — a white-and-blue Nike high top and the other a white-and-silver Reebok — they announced Saturday that those shoes were located.
I assume they mean those shoes have been located at her home and not while out searching for her, so they are not a clue to her whereabouts.

It happens so often, that someone suffering with Alzheimer's wanders and gets lost. One one hand, it's so wonderful Helen is in great physical shape to be able to walk long distances, but with her mentally confused state, it creates an added worry since she can keep walking and get a long distance away from home. I wonder if the husband just dozed off after lunch, and Helen decided to go for a walk. Easy to see that happening. I'm younger than them, but find the need to nap sometimes, too!!

Just joining you on this thread for Helen.

http://www.chch.com/bring-helen-home/
This article, dated 7/11/16, says:
Also, I've read how she is very fit in other articles, and here it reinforces that by saying she's been a member of the Curves fitness gym for six years.

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/6...gton-s-helen-robertson-missing-since-tuesday/
This may jibe with the article above regarding what shoes Helen may be wearing. I assume they mean those shoes have been located at her home and not while out searching for her, so they are not a clue to her whereabouts.

It happens so often, that someone suffering with Alzheimer's wanders and gets lost. One one hand, it's so wonderful Helen is in great physical shape to be able to walk long distances, but with her mentally confused state, it creates an added worry since she can keep walking and get a long distance away from home. I wonder if the husband just dozed off after lunch, and Helen decided to go for a walk. Easy to see that happening. I'm younger than them, but find the need to nap sometimes, too!!

Better late than never slowpoke, thanks for the additional info about HR wearing black shoes, i totally missed that one and it could be a very important clue!

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/6782737-still-missing-where-is-helen-robertson-/
Still missing: Where is Helen Robertson?
BURLINGTON — Halton Police are searching video recordings from neighbourhoods and side streets for clues to what happened to Helen Robertson, a 79-year old Burlington woman with Alzheimer's who has been missing three weeks.

The initial intensive search with canine and marine units and a helicopter after she wandered off has ended, but police encourage tips from the public and have distributed her picture to other police services.

"We never stop looking," Halton Detective Joe Barr said Monday, adding that the video search will explore places Robertson would not typically go, since they have already searched areas where she has wandered before.

She was last seen on Tuesday, July 5 at her home on Millcroft Park Drive in northeast Burlington. She has wandered off before, including in February when she left a fitness club and was found 25 km away in Mississauga.

As far as the prospect of abduction, or someone taking Robertson into their home for some reason, Barr said they are not ruling anything out but have no information suggesting those scenarios.

http://www.insidehalton.com/opinion...r-families-coping-with-an-alzheimer-s-parent/
rbbm.
The story of missing Burlington resident Helen Robertson — the woman with Alzheimer’s — really struck me.

My heart aches for the entire family.

This could easily have been my mother several years ago. She also wandered away and got lost in Millcroft, while suffering from Alzheimer’s, except that in our case a quick search was successful in finding her still in the area but quite far from home and unsure of where she was.

Sadly, the similarities in their situations are probably playing out in thousands of households in Canada and beyond.

Help your neighbours, watch out for the elderly.

I wish that caregiver spouses could be given more help from someone, whether it be their doctors or other social agencies.

Educating the public on what a dementia patient looks like and is going through could help a lot. There is a “look” that they have, that those of us who have seen this in our loved ones know too well … a blankness about them.

Someone walking on a hot July day in long sleeves and (possibly) two different shoes, who is elderly very likely might need some help.

Don’t hesitate to go up to such a person and say hello, can I help you?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back