CANADA Canada - Helen Robertson, 79, Burlington, Ont, 5 July 2016

I never thought i'd know an area where someone went missing.......but strangely (as i live in UK) my sister in law lives off upper middle, near junction of Brant,only few miles from where Helen went missing, which is very close to where the jogger linked was found! Hopefully Helen will have the same outcome.

https://www.insidehalton.com/news-story/7260508-police-continue-search-for-helen-robertson/

Police confirmed with the Post, the search is not part of any new tips and simply a continuation of the area where a brown leather Fossil-brand wallet was found — inside a fenced football field at Norton Park in the area of Dundas Street and Tim Dobbie Drive, across from Dr. Frank J. Hayden Secondary School.

Members of Halton police's Search Incident Response Team (SIRT) are walking through thick brush within a culvert/stream on the rainy and cold Tuesday morning.
Police are using a search dog, a German shepherd, in their search today

http://www.chch.com/new-clue-disappearance-helen-robertson/
Police believe the wallet was discarded sometime between April 21 and April 24 because the football field is maintained after every game.

Officers were out in the area doing a ground search Monday. The wallet had Robertson’s ID in it but police would not say if any other items were missing. Police are urging the person who found the wallet to come forward.
Police say they still don’t know how the wallet ended up there and they are looking at multiple theories. One theory is that rising water levels from the recent rainfall could have washed her wallet out into the open where someone may have found it and tossed it onto the field.

Attachments

• Helen_Robertson_-Halton_police_SIRT_team_search_-_April_25,_2017___Super_Portrait.jpg
    Helen_Robertson_-Halton_police_SIRT_team_search_-_April_25,_2017___Super_Portrait.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 66
I am hitting a paywall on the Spec's website, but it says a teenager has given information about the wallet.

I am hitting a paywall on the Spec's website, but it says a teenager has given information about the wallet.

Thanks for the heads up!
http://www.thespec.com/news-story/7...ocation-of-missing-burlington-woman-s-wallet/
A youth who found a brown leather wallet belonging to a Burlington woman missing since July has come forward to say where it was originally picked up.

The young person – who is not from Halton – contacted police Tuesday evening to say 79-year-old Helen Robertson's wallet was found on an embankment while the youth was fishing in Bronte Creek.

Police said they have now redirected their search to the area near Appleby Line and Harris Court where the wallet was found.
rbbm

Bronte Creek! I just went back through the thread and realized I had made the comment that Bronte Creek was closer to Helen's home than I had realized.

I wonder if LE had searched Bronte PP before. It's a Provincial Park. Big, Bronte Creek is pretty big too. It ends up at Lake Ontario. In some places the creek is far below and a fall from above is very possible.

If that's where Helen got to, she didn't go very far.

I hope this new info finds her so that her family can have closure. This is so sad.

I'm starting to wonder about Bronte Park/Bronte Creek. It never occurred to me how close she was to the Park.

Maybe you are correct, hoping for answers soon!
The wait must be very difficult for Ms Robertson's family, imo.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=Bron...UICygC&biw=1366&bih=659#imgrc=2IhVfqvsb99IxM:

attachment.php

Attachments

• Map-of-Bronte-Creek.jpg
    Map-of-Bronte-Creek.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 54

Depending on your browser, you should be able to right click on the link - 'Open link in incognito window' (Chrome).

But didn't she go missing in July? so that means someone kept her wallet since July?

https://www.insidehalton.com/news-story/7260508-police-continue-search-for-helen-robertson/

Police believe the wallet was discarded sometime between April 21 and April 24 because the football field is maintained after every game.

Officers were out in the area doing a ground search Monday. The wallet had Robertson’s ID in it but police would not say if any other items were missing. Police are urging the person who found the wallet to come forward.
Police say they still don’t know how the wallet ended up there and they are looking at multiple theories. One theory is that rising water levels from the recent rainfall could have washed her wallet out into the open where someone may have found it and tossed it onto the field.
http://www.chch.com/new-clue-disappearance-helen-robertson/

Depending on your browser, you should be able to right click on the link - 'Open link in incognito window' (Chrome).

Lifesaver. Thanks!

Maybe the wallet has been around since July but because of the season, was difficult to find. Did the original search area include the area near Bronte Creek?

The wallet looks to be in good condition. I can't help wondering, would it look like that if it had been lying outside for almost 10 months in the elements?

I'm wondering if the wallet was inside her purse and then just recently the two got separated.

Bumping, hard to believe it has been nearly 2 years since Ms Robertson went missing.

Bumping for Ms Robertson who is still missing with this related news .
Project Lifesaver Helps Police Track Down Missing Woman
July 16 2019 rbbm.
"STRATFORD - Project Lifesaver helped Stratford Police track down a local senior suffering from Dementia who had gone missing.

The 88 year old woman walked away from her home at Anne Hathaway Residence on Monday afternoon. Police were able to use the woman's unique tracking number to search for her with a special device. Within 20 minutes they were able to find her safe and sound at a business on Douro Street.

Everyone involved in this situation was grateful for the missing person’s participation in Project Lifesaver as it certainly helped in locating her quickly and effectively."

Hard to believe that Ms Robertson has still not been located.
June 11 2020
Police getting radio technology to track missing people
''Police say the longer it takes to find people with dementia and others prone to wander off, the harder it is to find them and find them in good health.

Local police are gaining a new tool which could dramatically shorten the search time. Police will be able to track the whereabouts of missing people whose caregivers have signed them up to wear a radio-broadcasting bracelet.

Hunters use similar radio technology to track their hunting dogs in the bush.''

''Even on a warm summer day, any clues to the whereabouts of a wanderer can be quickly erased by time and weather.''

''And every hour, the search area expands to account for the distances the wandering person could have travelled – more so when the direction of travel is unknown, said Bishop, whose experience includes oversight of these searches with Waterloo police.''

''It’s extremely frightening for families,” she said. “And once they leave your property they can disappear – you don’t know where they are.”

“And oftentimes with older folks, they will walk back to the farm where they used to live. And that puts them at great risk because sometimes they’re within a town or a city setting and they head out to the country, on foot.”

Police given new tools to aid in finding people who go missing. « Burlington Gazette - Local News, Politics, Community
2019 rbbm.
“Police and family members tell us that the first hours after someone goes missing are the most critical,” said Sylvia Jones, Solicitor General. “That’s why we’re providing our frontline heroes with more tools to quickly find our loved ones.”

Fifty per cent of those who go missing for 24 hours or more risk serious injury or even death.
Sixty per cent of people living with dementia will go missing at some point, often without warning.
There is no requirement to wait 24 hours to report someone missing in Ontario.
Nearly 7,500 people were reported missing in Ontario in 2018.

Most of the media in the western GTA are quick to publish and broadcast information on a missing person. Most of the time they are found before the end of the day or the day after.

Some are never found – and we mourn, terrified that something like this could happen to our loved ones.

Joseph Barr, the Detective that handled the Helen Robertson case knows that he will wonder for the rest of his career what happened and what was that missing piece of information he didn’t have.

Emits a signal every second 24/7

Since the disappearance of Helen Robertson the Regional Police came up with a service that, if used properly, can be critical in finding someone missing''

Lengthy, informative article.
By Maria Iqbal
Nov. 25, 2021 rbbm.
Wandering with meaning: How people with dementia go missing

''Wandering is a responsive behaviour, a way for a person with dementia to respond to their environment. Six in 10 people with dementia will get lost at some point in their life, according to the Alzheimer Society. Half who go missing for 24 hours get seriously injured or die. A wanderer may walk, drive or get on a bus.

All behaviours have meaning,” said Wendy Willick, a team lead for Behavioural Supports Ontario in the local Alzheimer Society. Her team supports those who care for people who show responsive behaviours due to cognitive impairment.

For example, someone might go outside because it’s too hot or cold inside, or they’re looking for something (like a bathroom) in a place they no longer recognize. It’s common to hear patients say they want to go “home,” Willick said, perhaps because they’re remembering their childhood residence.

They could also be following a past routine, like waking up at dawn to go to work. It’s all subjective, she said.''

“Every case of wandering is unique,” Walker said.
However, they do share some features.
If walking, individuals tend to travel in a straight line, even through thick brush, until they get stuck, Walker said. They’re often drawn to water and if they reach it, they try to go in. Wanderers are at risk of dying from hypothermia, drowning or dehydration. Individuals don’t often know they’re being looked for, so they don’t tend to respond to searchers.

The public plays an important role. If something doesn’t seem right — a senior is outside not dressed for the weather, for example — they should contact police.

“Act on your instincts,”
Walker said, noting sometimes people hesitate because they don’t want to overstep. Later, they feel guilty for not acting.''

Still missing..
1671213663906.png

''This is not the first time she wandered off. In February, she left a fitness club and was located 25-kilometres away in Mississauga.

She is described as 5’2”, weighing 110lbs, with a slim build and has white collar length hair.

She was last seen wearing glasses, a red long sleeved collared shirt and a pair of mismatching running shoes, one was a white-and-blue Nike high top, while the other is a white-and-silver Reebok.

Anyone with information is asked to call Halton Police Services Det. Joe Barr at 905-825-4747, ext. 2385 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477''

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back