CANADA Canada - Lindsey Nicholls, 14, Comox Valley, 2 Aug 1993

The OPP have a special unit dedicated to finding the missing and identifying human remains with the help of the public on the Internet.

The Missing Persons and Unidentified Bodies website was launched in 2006 with some controversy because it featured actual autopsy photos. So far it's generated more than 1,200 tips, located 33 missing persons and identified 10 human remains.

Still unsolved on the Island:

Camille Raina Ricketts went missing from Victoria in 1994, Lindsey Nicholls disappeared in 1993 and Michael Dunahee went missing, also from Victoria, in 1991.

There is also Jesokah Akdens (17) who went missing in Sept 2001.

I haven't heard about Camille, do you have any links for her?

The weather on the day Lindsay disappeared was hot. 28 C, not factoring in humidity. Based on historical values and personal knowledge of the area, I would estimate that it felt more like 34 C, give or take 2 degrees. If the description of what she was wearing is accurate, she was grossly overdressed. Jeans, a tank top, a shirt over-top, canvas deck shoes ? Quite a long walk into the Nautical Festival too.

http://www.climate.weatheroffice.gc.ca/climateData/dailydata_e.html?StationID=155&Month=8&Day=6&Year=1993&timeframe=2

Are there any media reference links kicking around ?

Some of my first questions would be:

Who provided this description ?

Can it be corroborated by a third party ?

Were the foster parents in the habit of taking note of each item of clothing this child wore ( not out of the realm of possibility if she was a habitual runaway) ?

I take issue with the description of the clothing this child was said to have been wearing. Comox is situated roughly mid-Vancouver Island, facing east towards the Sunshine Coast. Much of it is a matter of meters from the Pacific Ocean. It is wicked hot and humid at the time of year this child disappeared. No child in their right mind would walk/hitch hike all the way from Royston into Comox wearing that much clothing.

There isn't much information to go on. Doesn't seem like she planned on running away as she left behind all her stuff but maybe in the heat of the moment and angry she has stormed off and gotten into trouble along the way. The age progression - Doe Network, looks so familiar to me - strange how that happens sometimes! :moo:

I hear ya, at first glance she reminds me of Jaycee Dugard.

Here are my questions/thoughts,

She chose foster care? Were her foster parents part of a govt. program or just family friends, church members etc... taking her in?

Lindsay appears to have had a lot of freedom which would have made her extremely vulnerable. A lot of potential suspects in my opinion and very little info out there.

Cell phones were not widely used at this time, if she fought with her foster mother and stormed out, I wonder where the closest pay phone was? Perhaps she called for a ride.

...if she left the house....

I wonder if other kids were also in the home and what information they can provide?

Here are my questions/thoughts,

She chose foster care? Were her foster parents part of a govt. program or just family friends, church members etc... taking her in?

Lindsay appears to have had a lot of freedom which would have made her extremely vulnerable. A lot of potential suspects in my opinion and very little info out there.

Cell phones were not widely used at this time, if she fought with her foster mother and stormed out, I wonder where the closest pay phone was? Perhaps she called for a ride.

...if she left the house....

I wonder if other kids were also in the home and what information they can provide?

Are the Foster Parents identified in any of the MSM ? Going to go take a look. Will also check a few databases and see what the pattern of deaths for children in foster care were around that time frame.

The weather on the day Lindsay disappeared was hot. 28 C, not factoring in humidity. Based on historical values and personal knowledge of the area, I would estimate that it felt more like 34 C, give or take 2 degrees. If the description of what she was wearing is accurate, she was grossly overdressed. Jeans, a tank top, a shirt over-top, canvas deck shoes ? Quite a long walk into the Nautical Festival too.

http://www.climate.weatheroffice.gc.ca/climateData/dailydata_e.html?StationID=155&Month=8&Day=6&Year=1993&timeframe=2

It was still early morning so it was probably only 20 - 25 at the time she left. My DD wears her jeans all summer and I continually have to tell her to wear something besides her black long sleeved soccer shirt! I seem to recall Lindsey was just wearing the tank top with the 2nd shirt tied around her waist.

The bio-mom says her daughter had complained about not liking the foster home, yet she (Lindsay) had voluntarily chosen foster care as an alternative to relocating (her father was and RCMP officer). I really need to find out who the FPs were.

MCFD/Ministry for Children and Family Development is the BC agency responsible for children in care, foster homes, group homes, child protection, etc. Mary Ellen Turpel-Lafond is the BC Representative for Children and Youth. She acts in an official capacity as an Ombudsman of sorts who deals only with matters involving Children and Youth, specifically special needs children and children who are in foster care. Her office has only been around for a few years. They are the ones who typically undertake death investigations and make the appropriate recommendations to MCFD. I couldn't find anything indicating that her office had ever been approached on this matter.

Does anyone know exactly who saw Lindsey walking away from the foster home? From what source is the information she walked away from the foster home coming?

Does anyone know exactly who saw Lindsey walking away from the foster home? From what source is the information she walked away from the foster home coming?

Circumstances of Disappearance
Nicholls had been living at a foster home on Royston Road in Comox Valley, BC. She had an argument with her foster mother, who watched as Lindsey walked down the driveway toward Royston Road, presumably on her way to nearby Courtenay.

http://doenetwork.org/cases/864dfbc.html

The property searched was on Royston Road, was it not?

There isn't much information to go on. Doesn't seem like she planned on running away as she left behind all her stuff but maybe in the heat of the moment and angry she has stormed off and gotten into trouble along the way. The age progression - Doe Network, looks so familiar to me - strange how that happens sometimes! :moo:

[bbm]

The age progression photo looks like Elizabeth Smart to me. (eta: the first one posted)

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...t-does-for-crime-and-justice/article16820973/

Snippets from the article-

Ottawa says it wants to create a new DNA index to help police identify human remains and bring closure to the families of people who have disappeared.

The budget includes up to $8.1-million in database funding for the five years starting in 2016-2017, and another $1.3-million per year on a continuing basis.

Judy Peterson became an advocate for collecting and storing DNA information on missing persons after her 14-year-old daughter, Lindsey Jill Nicholls, vanished more than two decades ago in British Columbia. “It’s important because right now, if Lindsey’s remains were found anywhere across Canada, I would never know,” she said.

http://actionplan.gc.ca/en/initiative/dna-based-missing-persons-index

...Since that day Judy Peterson, Lindsey’s mother, has struggled with the question of what happened to her daughter and has worked tirelessly with the support of missing persons groups, police associations and other families of missing persons to change Canadian law to allow DNA matching of missing persons—Lindsey’s Law.

So glad her mother kept fighting, this will help so many people in the long run.

http://globalnews.ca/news/1268377/can-you-help-solve-the-disappearance-of-lindsey-nicholls/

"At the time of her disappearance, she was wearing a beige silk tank top, a pink and blue checkered shirt tied around her waist, jeans and canvas runners.

Even though decades have passed, Nicholls’ family has never given up hope that she will be found.

Anyone with information is asked to call police or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 to remain anonymous."

New article on searching the rural property last week: http://www.comoxvalleyrecord.com/news/391182351.html

Over a two-day period last week, beginning Aug. 16, 20 forensically-trained police officers conducted a search and evacuation on a rural property based on a tip from the public. The results cannot be shared as the investigation is ongoing.

BBM.

I wonder if that means they found something or they want a suspect to think they found something?

All I can say is wow. Canada needs to get it together and get a DNA database.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back