CANADA Canada - Lindsey Nicholls, 14, Comox Valley, 2 Aug 1993

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/missing-persons-dna-remains-databank-1.4095878
[h=1]Missing persons DNA databank running 1 year behind schedule[/h]
[h=3]Federal government is reviewing program's 'service delivery model,' but won't say what that means[/h] By Alison Crawford, CBC News Posted: May 03, 2017

lindsey-nicholls-family.jpg
The family of Lindsey Nicholls, her sister Kim and her mother Judy Peterson, say they're still looking for answers into her 1993 disappearance. (CBC)
The federal government has pushed back the rollout of a new DNA databank for missing persons and unidentified human remains.
The databank was supposed to be up and running by now, but CBC News has learned it won't be launched until next year.
The legislation that makes the program possible is called Lindsey's Law, named after 14-year-old Lindsey Nicholls, who went missing near Courtenay, B.C., in 1993.
[h=2]Now scheduled for 2018[/h] However, a spokesperson for Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale said the government remains committed to the index.

"The government will look to implement the program early in 2018. The exact timing of the implementation of the indices will be communicated as soon as it is available,"

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/canada-national-dna-databank-1.4573430
National DNA databank for missing persons up and running after years of delay
Liam Britten · CBC News · Posted: Mar 12, 2018
On Aug. 2 1993, 14-year-old Lindsey Nicholls went walking down a rural road in Vancouver Island's Comox Valley. That was the last anyone saw of her.

Her mother, Judy Peterson, believes her daughter was hitchhiking. Police believe she met with foul play, she says.

"She vanished," Peterson said. "They believe she was abducted, I'm sure."
Nearly 25 years later, she now has new hope for answers as Lindsey's Law comes into effect.

The law expands Canada's national DNA databank to include DNA from missing persons across the country, such as from personal effects like toothbrushes or clothing. It will also include DNA profiles from relatives and unidentified human remains.

Peterson signed the consent forms to add Lindsey's DNA into the databank on Friday, making her daughter's the first missing person DNA to be included.
Peterson is confident that as the databank grows and receives DNA from families and crime scenes, it will help solve cases like her daughter's.

She also is hopeful that the expansion could lead to arrests and charges in missing persons cases.
rbbm

Grieving B.C. mother puts up three billboards in connection with daughter’s disappearance

It is a mother’s plea for help.

Judy Peterson put up three billboards in the Comox Valley Thursday to draw attention to the case of her missing daughter.

Lindsey Nicholls went missing 25 years ago on August 2, 1993. According to the RCMP, Nicholls was believed to be on her way to visit friends in Courtenay as part of the B.C. Day long weekend celebration, but she never arrived. Peterson believes her daughter may have been hitchhiking.

2016-08-19T01-12-06.8Z--1280x720.jpg

Bumping for Lindsey, today is her birthday. The 26th anniversary of her disappearance passed recently.

Sept 10 2019 rbbm.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calg...canadians-to-help-find-missing-kids-1.5277727
"Calgary will be the first city in Canada to adopt a new website and app that could be a game-changer in finding missing children.
The Calgary Police Service and Tsuut'ina Nation Police Service will adopt the web app, MCSC Rescu.
It can be continually updated with new information for missing children investigations.
The app was created for the Missing Children Society of Canada by Esri Canada, a geographic information system (GIS) provider."

"Judy Peterson, whose 14-year-old daughter Lindsey Nicholls went missing in 1993, described the new technology as a game-changer.

"Lindsey was 14, she would be 40," she said. "We didn't even have the internet, there was no Facebook, email, anything. So, I was going around Comox with my roll of Scotch tape and my homemade printed posters, and a box of Kleenex, trying to get the word out. So for me, this is a milestone because I truly believe that if this technology existed when Linsday went missing, we would have found her."

She encouraged all Canadians to register on the website or get the app, adding that most people can't imagine their child going missing.

"What I'm asking is, go there even for a few seconds," she said. "In that few seconds, that's a few seconds it'll take to get the app, and help other families so they don't have to go through what thousands of families across Canada have been going through."

judy-peterson.

Judy Peterson's daughter Lindsey Nicholls disappeared at age 14 in 1993. (Vincent Bonnay/CBC)
Names, photographs and other relevant data about a missing child are available at the click of a mouse. Users who might have useful information can provide tips by clicking on the name or picture of the child."

July 12 2020 Includes interactive map with info. about the many Vancouver mps .
‘Someone knows something’: a look into Vancouver Island missing persons with interactive map - Victoria News
22098684_web1_20200715-CVR-Missing-map2_1.jpg

A map highlighting some of the people on Vancouver Island where people have been reported missing within the last four decades. For more information on each person, scroll down below to use the interactive map.

''Someone knows something.

That’s the hope expressed by Judy Peterson, the mother of Lindsey Nicholls, who, at the age of 14, disappeared in late July 1993 while walking along Royston Road in the Comox Valley.

“It’s unsolved and we don’t know what happened to her, and our family really needs to know,” she said in July 2018, at the 25th anniversary of her daughter’s disappearance.

“She literally vanished.”
With more than 400 tips, three excavated sites and more than 15 polygraph examinations completed by the RCMP, Peterson and her family marked the significant anniversary by placing two sets of three billboards around the Comox Valley community asking for any information.

Two years later, Nicholls is still missing.''

Mar. 17th, 2021
Search for Lindsey Nicholls continues, 27 years after Comox Valley girl’s disappearance

Supplied by the Comox Valley RCMP
''On Aug. 2nd, 1993 at about 10:30am, Lindsey was last seen walking along Royston Road toward Courtenay.

She has not been heard from or seen again.

At the time of her disappearance, Lindsey was five-foot-three inches tall and 110 to 115 pounds, with green eyes and blonde hair dyed with red henna.

She was wearing blue jeans, a khaki top and white canvas shoes.''

''Anyone with information about Lindsey’s disappearance is asked to call the Comox Valley RCMP at (250) 338-1321.

If you wish to remain anonymous, you can call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 (TIPS) or online at Home.''

June 9 2023
Eve Lazarusabout 4 hours ago
''Lindsey was placed with a foster family in Royston, a seaside village located across the bay from Comox. The last time Judy spoke with Lindsey was on the Friday before the long weekend when Lindsey phoned from the foster home.

“I told her how much I loved her and that I missed her,” her mother says. She sounded fine, but even though it had only been a few days, she was already unhappy in the new home. “And, I thought, ‘Perfect,’ because I wanted her to come home,” says Judy. “It never occurred to me that being out there now, she was in more danger because she was going to hitchhike into town.”

Martin and Judy Nicholls went away for the August long weekend. When they arrived back, Judy phoned the foster home and was shocked to learn that Lindsey had not been seen since the previous day, and nobody had reported her missing. Judy phoned the police.''

''Over the last three decades, police have received more than 400 tips, administered 15 polygraph examinations, and interviewed over 100 people in connection with the case of Lindsey Nicholls.

Lindsey’s file is categorized as “missing, foul play suspected.”

If you have any information about Lindsey Nicholls' disappearance, call the Comox Valley RCMP at 250-338-1321 or Crime Stoppers 1-800-222-8477''.

1689525767484.jpeg
"Someone out there knows something and I'm hoping this exposure will convince them to come forward with any piece of information that could help us," the missing girl's mother, Judy Peterson, said in a statement through the Comox Valley RCMP on Thursday.

"We all love her so much and the not knowing is so difficult," she added.

Peterson is launching a campaign to generate tips ahead of the 30th anniversary of her daughter's disappearance. The effort will include billboards in prominent areas around the Comox Valley asking anyone with information about the case to come forward to investigators.

"Lindsey’s disappearance remains an active and ongoing investigation. This case has never been forgotten," says Cpl. Matt Holst of the Comox Valley RCMP major crimes unit.

"Tips continue to come in, and each one is diligently followed up. The passage of three decades has not diminished our determination to find answers and provide closure to Lindsey's family and friends who have endured an agonizing wait for resolution."

This one is pretty close to home for me as I'm from Vancouver Island, about the same age, and currently live in the Comox Valley. The family has just put up new billboards asking for help.

There are obviously two possible scenarios :

1) she was abducted while hitchhiking and murdered by an unknown assailant.
2) she was killed (intentionally or unintentionally) by her foster parents who then fabricated a story of her leaving the house.

A few thoughts :

- it's frustrating that the address she was living at isn't public, because it makes a huge difference. If she was living at the bottom end of Royston Road in Royston there are more houses, smaller lots, and an abduction would be more difficult without being seen. But if she was living further up the road toward toward Cumberland you get into bigger lots, forest, small farms, auto wreckers, and it would be much easier to abduct her without being seen and take her to a secluded location.

- the cops have obviously considered the foster family as suspects as they went back and re-searched the yard years later. This doesn't mean it's their primary suspicion, however.

- if she was going from Royston to Comox for Nautical Days, that absolutely would be a hitchhiking trip for a 14 y/o in 1993. It's probably at least a 2 hour walk each way.

- it would be interesting to know if friends have confirmed that they were at Nautical Days and it was discussed if she would be meeting them there. If so, it gives the foster family story a lot more weight.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back