CANADA Canada - Madison Scott, 20, Vanderhoof, BC, 27 May 2011

I'm curious, for anyone with connections to vanderhoof or who lives there--are police still searching that property. It's been what? 3 weeks? I'm amazed that there isn't even an article on the search continuing, wrapping up or otherwise
It's 160 acres of land and junk piles, buildings and scrap and old vehicles.

It's 160 acres of land and junk piles, buildings and scrap and old vehicles.

I know it was a quarter section, but didn't know there was so much junk..where did you get this info?

The property isn't viewable from the highway, so I haven't been able to see anything, and IMO it would be foolish to drive on their road just to see what's going on.

The Major Crimes unit is more than likely still investigating and searching, as per this statement on the RCMP website (BBM):

Update in the ongoing Madison Scott investigation

Vanderhoof
2023-05-29 11:07 PDT
File # 2011E-4852

RCMP can confirm that there has been a significant investigational development into the disappearance of Madison (Maddy) Scott.
Maddy was reported missing on May 29, 2011 and was last seen at approximately 3:00 a.m. on May 28, 2011, while at Hogsback Lake, celebrating a friend’s birthday.
The investigation has been led by BC RCMP Major Crime in support of Vanderhoof RCMP.
Police are currently executing a search warrant at a rural property on the east side of Vanderhoof. The area has been secured and additional resources are anticipated to be on scene for as long as may be required.
We can confirm that the property is associated to the discovery of Maddy who has been positively identified by BC Coroner's Service. The Scott family has been advised and they have asked for privacy at this time. Many areas of support remain in place for the family.
This has been a priority investigation for the RCMP over the past 12 years. The discovery of Maddy is a significant development, however this investigation remains an active and ongoing missing person's investigation where foul play has not been ruled out said Cpl Madonna Saunderson BC RCMP Communications.
No charges have been laid. Anyone with any information is asked to call Tipline (778) 290-5291 or (877) 543-4822
Released by
Cpl. Madonna Saunderson
District Advisory NCO (Media Relations)
North District
4020 5th Avenue, Prince George, BC V2M 7E7
Office: 250-561-3166
Cell: 250-301-3521
Email: madonna.saunderson@rcmp-grc.gc.caRCMP in British Columbia - Update in the ongoing Madison Scott investigation
A little late to the game on this one

With the help of search dogs, volunteer group continues nearly 2-year search for missing B.C. woman

June 26, 2023

Snipped...
...In addition to looking for White, the volunteer group has also assisted in searching for other missing individuals, including Ryan Shtuka, last seen at Sun Peaks Ski Resort in February 2018, Ben Tyner, who has been missing in Merritt since January 2019 and Madison Scott, whose remains were discovered near Vanderhoof last month after having been missing for 12 years.

RCMP say cases of White, Shtuka and Tyner remain under investigation.

I haven't seen or heard anything. The wildfires out here are terrible this year. There are so many evacuation alerts and orders for surrounding areas. I'm hoping LE was able to do a thorough search prior to the fires, but given how large the property is, I'd think they're still searching. Or maybe not because the smoke is so bad. I don't know. Hope the other locals are doing OK amidst all the fires too.

I haven't seen or heard anything. The wildfires out here are terrible this year. There are so many evacuation alerts and orders for surrounding areas. I'm hoping LE was able to do a thorough search prior to the fires, but given how large the property is, I'd think they're still searching. Or maybe not because the smoke is so bad. I don't know. Hope the other locals are doing OK amidst all the fires too.
The smoke in Vanderhoof is awful. So far, socked in for at least the last 4 days. It's getting depressing. I can barely see across the yard. We had some rain last night so that helped with the stench but thunder and lightning for this afternoon but at least the ground is wet where I am. :)

The 'silence' is getting a bit disturbing now.
So far we officially know: Madison's body was found on a rural property near Vanderhoof. Period.

Do people here think it's 'normal' we get so little information so far?
Also do people think it's oke if we get say another 12 years of 'silence' without knowing more than above......?

Cops in BC don't lay charges...they give their evidence to the Crown, who decide if there's enough evidence to actually go to trial...
Police won't say anything until someone is actually charged. Police in BC are notorious for being tight-lipped. They won't even release the names of deceased until the family makes a public statement.

Imo this case should have been solved already 12 years ago. What happened is not really a mystery to me. But the investigation is.... Something just feels off to me. I feel they screwed up 12 years ago and now it's too late and they are going nowhere..... I do hope the Scott family has more insight than we have.... if not, my advice to the Scott family would be to get momentum from somewhere else if they feel there is no progress and they really want justice.

*I saw an interview with the Scott family regarding the 10th anniversary where they said they didn't know anything more than the first day Madison was missing, I admire their loyalty, I wouldn't have that..... I think the 'silence' hurts the solution of this case.

Last edited:
Imo this case should have been solved already 12 years ago. What happened is not really a mystery to me. But the investigation is.... Something just feels off to me. I feel they screwed up 12 years ago and now it's too late and they are going nowhere..... I do hope the Scott family has more insight than we have.... if not, my advice to the Scott family would be to get momentum from somewhere else if they feel there is no progress and they really want justice.

*I saw an interview with the Scott family regarding the 10th anniversary where they said they didn't know anything more than the first day Madison was missing, I admire their loyalty, I wouldn't have that..... I think the 'silence' hurts the solution of this case.
It will be a mammoth task to efficiently search that big, messy property. The cops will want to do a thorough job and examine every square inch. Aside from the fields and treed areas there are old vehicles, buildings, machinery, junk, compost piles. Probably a place where they bury deceased animals..... the works.
Better to take their time and do it properly.

It will be a mammoth task to efficiently search that big, messy property. The cops will want to do a thorough job and examine every square inch. Aside from the fields and treed areas there are old vehicles, buildings, machinery, junk, compost piles. Probably a place where they bury deceased animals..... the works.
Better to take their time and do it properly.

If someone was diabolical in not wanting any quick discoveries, this sounds like the just the type of place where her body might’ve been taken to, to be hidden at, rather than on public land.

Her murder may not be directly connected to the land owner and/or that family at all. The RCMP can’t make that automatic assumption because without stronger evidence of implication it’s not enough on which to base a successful prosecution.

Worse case scenario, even though her remains were found if the autopsy cannot prove foul play. That opens up the possibility Madison left the camp with another person in another vehicle, something occurred that caused her to began walking back alone and that’s when her death occurred (ie animal attack, alcohol poisoning, drug o/d etc). Other person became too scared to implicate themselves, not grounds for murder charges. This possibility would be dependant on the circumstances pertaining to where and how her remains were found just recently.

After all these years it can’t be an easy case to solve. Until charges are laid I wouldn’t expect the RCMP to leak any details of their investigation. Such is their way, just would lead to harmful speculation.

JMO

I think some locals who know these 'brothers' got their 'gut' feelings verified when Madison was found and in particular where she was found. Did the RCMP anything back then with the 'gut' feeling from the locals 12 years ago.....?
Yes, they need to go with the evidence, but sometimes you should listen to locals for direction, especially if you don't come any further. I think it's safe to say they didn't go anywhere after 12 years.
We got all information about how they put Jordi really through the 'ringer', she had to do multiple polygraphs. I fully understand they did. BUT why didn't we hear more about what more they did with the other people who stayed till the end of the party? Where they multiple 'polygraphed' as well?
The only thing they said everybody was 'polygraphed' and they were pretty sure about no involvement from any of the known party go'ers. It could be a tactic to mislead some folkes they had in vision (a bit foolish imo) but I think they really believed that.
So now a second period of 'silence' has started, Madison has been found but that's it, nothing changed really. Slowly on the attention will fade, public will lose interest..... police resources will be moved to other cases.
And with soo little information there is now there is NO chance for other peope (who do have waaay more time than RCMP.....) to really dig into this case. With no direct evidence someone needs to dig into the community for leads or else you just won't come any further. Sometimes you need some people who can go just a little bit further where the police has to stop.

Crazy part is, I brought this up on a FB that involves Madison's family and was told to basically shut up and not have faith in the police. I'm paraphrasing, but the person in charge literally said no good can come of others speculating or wondering about the case and she seemed offended that we (the public) were seeking info. I felt that the more this case is talked about, the better, as it puts pressure on suspects, gets people talking etc. It's so strange to me. Name another case where a missing person is found on a suspect's property and virtually nothing is printed in the media beyond the body being discovered-- it's really unheard of

Crazy part is, I brought this up on a FB that involves Madison's family and was told to basically shut up and not have faith in the police. I'm paraphrasing, but the person in charge literally said no good can come of others speculating or wondering about the case and she seemed offended that we (the public) were seeking info. I felt that the more this case is talked about, the better, as it puts pressure on suspects, gets people talking etc. It's so strange to me. Name another case where a missing person is found on a suspect's property and virtually nothing is printed in the media beyond the body being discovered-- it's really unheard of
Exactly. Of course they can't tell us everything. But there's not even been a press conference when Madison was found. So weird.... I think it's gonna be very hard after all this time to solve this case if the people they suspect just won't talk and there is no hard evidence. You need 'momentum' from somewhere else in that case. I think it's up to the Scott family, I understand they don't want a 'circus' but if the RCMP is not progressing you'll need to take another approach or else you can wait forever till maybe some indvidual(s) finally will talk.... They stayed silence for already 12 years so why would they talk now when there is no hard evidence.....? I'm afraid it's not gonna happen soon the way it goes now.

Also heard that these brothers but also the Birthday boy didn't want to talk to the Scott family, that's strange since that RCMP spokesman said everybody cooperated well..... If true than at least not to the Scott family.... It would have been a immediate RED FLAG to them and I can't imagine they didn't pass that to the RCMP.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back