GUILTY Canada - Man, 26, beaten, tortured, starved, Regina, Sask, 16 April 2010

Dustin LaFortune's ex-neighbour shocked to hear of assault allegations
Calgary neighbours often noticed visible injuries

As Dustin LaFortune lies recovering from horrific injuries in a Regina hospital, former neighbours in Calgary are trying to understand how he ended up emaciated and near death.

LaFortune, 26, has told police in Regina that he was assaulted by his former roommate -- an acquaintance he worked for and shared a home with in Calgary's Highland Park neighbourhood.

The horrific details that have emerged since LaFortune was dropped off at a Regina hospital on April 16 have cast a far more ominous light on the happenings at his former home in the 4200 block of Centre Street North.

The house served as the base for a moving company owned by LaFortune's roommate, and one neighbour said it seemed the men worked -- and played -- hard.

It wasn't unusual to hear boisterous laughing coming from the back deck as the men and their friends partied after-hours, but neighbour Tannis Melville-Oberten said hindsight has shown her "there was very much a dark side."

While LaFortune's roommate was polite to a fault when dealing with neighbours -- once apologizing profusely for improperly parking a moving truck -- Melville-Oberten said she often heard profane tirades directed at his employees.

"When he wanted something done, he wanted it done right and he wanted it done yesterday," she said.

LaFortune, meanwhile, was quiet.

Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/news...ted+roommate/3040170/story.html#ixzz0oKI3aCLU

Media moratorium for family of abused city man
By: Melissa Martin

18/05/2010 1:00 AM | Comments: 9

At first, the media glare was what they hoped for after worrying no one cared.

It was a way to bring attention to the horrifying case of Dustin LaFortune, the Winnipeg man who was discovered clinging to life at a Regina hospital with shocking injuries after a troubling disappearance. So the LaFortunes skipped sleep and answered emails from journalists. They called in to radio shows. They went on television.

On Monday afternoon, they called it off, announcing a moratorium on media interviews and directing inquiries to the Regina police, who had no updates on the case.

Probably, they could use the break. During a Monday-morning conversation with the Free Press, Dustin's older brother Ryan LaFortune sighed over the state of his inbox. Reporters from The Canadian Press and the Globe and Mail emailed; so did well-wishers, misguided tipsters, long-lost friends. "Every time I hit 'update,' it gets worse," said LaFortune, 32, from his office on Vancouver Island. "Well, not worse, but... "

Not worse, just more. Since early 2010, when Dustin went missing in Calgary, the 26-year-old's family had been crying out for police attention, or media attention, or any attention at all. They started a Facebook group to push for action; for over a month, nothing happened

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/media-moratorium-for-family-of-abused-city-man-94059129.html

This story is so bizarre ... did his family ever drive up there to see if they could find him? Search the house he shared with this guy ? The police for that matter ....

I mean a grown young man of that size taking abuse from this guy is strange. In the article I posted the neighbors stated seeing him with bruises, his face all swelled up .... I wonder if they were involved like a couple ?

I guess anything is possible someone could have been drugging him tieing him up and beating him ...it is just odd that neighbors noticed injuries on him and he said nothing, except for the time his face was smashed in and said an appliance dropped on him...

Maybe they were in a relationship and it is a case of domestic abuse but the tortue is a little out of character for your typical domestic abuser. I think that the fact that his tongue and lips were cut off may signal gang ties.

And this, from a man claiming to be Dustin's brother...

anonymous
12:28 AM on May 18, 2010

I am Actually Dustin's big brother. you don't have to believe me but it is true. The pics should stay, it is not good to candy coat things, the world is not pleasentville. AND FOR THE LAST TIME THE BIKERS HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS. ONE PSYCO IS RESPONSIBLE! The biker connection is being used by the media to glamorize a horrendous crime and sell news papers. Don't belive the hype.

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/injuries+worse+than+horror+movie/3039210/story.html#ixzz0oL7Q1IMq

This case hits home to me. My sister was beaten severely and left for dead in an alley. We suspect some "friends" of her did it, but no one was ever charged. She required metal plates in her face, reconstructive surgery, and a tracheostomy. She also had brain damage. She died a few years after that of a drug overdose, which she became addicted to again after the trauma of it all.

I am so sorry this happened to you, Dustin. I will never understand how people can be so cruel. Hopefully they catch the monster(s) soon.

And this, from a man claiming to be Dustin's brother...

Yes, that's what he has been saying on the Facebook page too. I believe him, because if Hells Angels wanted Dustin, they would have gotten him before that trial or directly after, not years later.

Yes, that's what he has been saying on the Facebook page too. I believe him, because if Hells Angels wanted Dustin, they would have gotten him before that trial or directly after, not years later.

I saw Dustin's brother's FB page after I linked that. Yeah, it's his brother and he seems very active on the internet.

I wonder if they were part of a religious cult or if they had a very abusive relationship. The Canadian police are very private in releasing any details to the media.

I just watched the CTV Regina newscast. Regina Police checked out an apartment a mere block away from the hospital where Dustin is staying. They said a man rented apartment #3 in mid-March who called himself Dustin LaFortune. A tenant who lived below apartment #3 was interviewed and he said he heard disturbing noises like moaning and sounds like "flesh on flesh, like hitting." He then played a recording he made on his cell phone on March 31. They only played a short segment, but there was a man yelling, "Cover your eyes... open your eyes!" following by a smacking/hitting noise. The tenant went to the landlord with the recording and apparently the noises ceased around April 12 or 13.

Here is a CBC article about the search at the apartment. http://www.cbc.ca/canada/saskatchewan/story/2010/05/19/sk-mb-injured-man-police-apartment-10519.html

How strange... I lived a block away from that apartment a few years ago. I can't believe the guy never went to the cops, but atleast he is now coming forward. I wonder if drugs were involved, this guy sounds like a real sick .

http://www.thestarphoenix.com/Police+search+tied+torture+case+neighbour/3049949/story.html

Police search tied to torture case: neighbour
Tells of moaning, shouts coming from apartment above his
By Heather Polischuk and Doyle Fox, Saskatchewan News Network; Regina Leader-Post May 20, 2010

The Regina Police Service remains silent on its investigation into the brutal assault of Dustin LaFortune -- including the apparent search of a Regina apartment this week -- but a resident of the building says the attacks may have happened in a suite above his.

Dann McKenzie lives at 2158 Halifax St., the Regina General Hospital-area building police reportedly searched on Tuesday. While he didn't see or hear the search take place, McKenzie said he's heard plenty more during the past couple of months.

"There were so many strange noises coming from that apartment," he said. "I slammed on the roof and told him to shut up a couple of times and he came down and wanted to fight me once or twice even. Scary stuff. I complained about it multiple times, even."

It was mid-March when McKenzie first met the man who'd moved into the apartment above his. But it wasn't until recently, when McKenzie saw a Facebook photo of the man LaFortune's family allege assaulted him, that McKenzie realized what might have been happening in the upstairs apartment.

"Everything starts clicking and all the tumblers and the little locks start fitting and you just realize that terrible things might have been going on right above me," he said.

McKenzie said he complained several times to his landlord, but not the police, when the noise continued over time.

"Initially it started off as a moan out here, every morning around nine or 10 in the morning, like a low, drawn-out moan," he said. "And I tried to give him the benefit of the doubt. I thought maybe he had some creepy sexual habits. I mean, you're in an apartment. Sometimes noises get through.

"After that, I started hearing fighting and it was like one-sided fighting. I recognized (the upstairs neighbour's) voice and it was him screaming at the top of his voice, and then I heard thumping and stomping. The most twisted was I heard the yelling that went on when these hits were going on. I just heard things like, 'Open your eyes!' "

McKenzie said he never saw LaFortune, although he said he learned from the landlord that the upstairs apartment was rented out in LaFortune's name.

He added the noises stopped sometime in early April, soon after the landlord responded to McKenzie's complaints by reportedly talking to the upstairs resident.

A woman who answered a telephone call to the landlord's residence said they'd been told by police not to discuss the matter.

McKenzie said he most recently saw the upstairs neighbour walking his dog on Saturday during the day. The last McKenzie heard of him was late Saturday or early Sunday morning, when McKenzie last heard movement upstairs.

On Wednesday, Staff Sgt. Trent Stevely wouldn't talk about the investigation, including any police activity around the building.

Stevely also wouldn't confirm whether there was any sort of search warrant executed at any residence near the Regina General Hospital.

McKenzie said neighbours told him they saw the search happen and had watched as police officers carted out items apparently seized from the upstairs apartment.

On Wednesday, neighbours said officers have been investigating the alley that divided their residence and the apartment building. They added they saw officers looking through trash cans in the alley, but they did not see them seal off the area.

According to information from the Calgary Herald and the Winnipeg Free Press, among other sources, 26-year-old LaFortune received horrific injuries that he reportedly told police he suffered at the hands of his former roommate, with whom he worked and shared a home in Calgary.

Regina police have been investigating how LaFortune came to be injured after he was dropped off at the Regina General Hospital on April 16 by a man reportedly claiming to be his cousin.

At that time, LaFortune was said to weigh just 90 pounds. His tongue and bottom lip were cut, his face smashed and ribs broken, giving him the appearance of someone who'd been tortured, his mother said.

© Copyright (c) The StarPhoenix

What? he was still there until this past Sunday? That's pretty brazen. He's been right under the cops' noses all this time and he left right before the raid? :banghead:

Please tell me I'm mistaken!!

Poor poor kid, he's just a young fella, so much ahaead of him. What kind of sicko torutres someone over the course of months??

Why isn't the police releasing an official statement releasing the perp's photo and info? It seems like every story is stating that this poor man's roommate is the one responsible for torturing him, yet the media is NOT NAMING THE PERP. What is going on????? He is still running around free, from the sounds of things and it's pretty obvious that he is very dangerous. The family has even resorted to making wanted posters of the perp for the public to use as a profile pic. The cops don't seem to be doing anything to warn the public about this man.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LitWiz
Back