CANADA Canada - Mekayla Bali, aka M Niebergall, 16, Yorkton, Saskatchewan, 12 April 2016

:Snippet:

"Over the years, we’ve remained committed to searching areas where Mekayla was believed to be travelling and have followed up on over 1,000 tips we received from the public to date, with no confirmed sightings,” the statement read.

'It feels like yesterday': Vigil marks 7 years since disappearance of Mekayla Bali

I've spent the last couple hours reading the 16 pages of thread on this case and my whole outlook has changed. IMHO, she clearly had somewhat of a jekyll/hyde complex with behavior choices. Maybe she did smoke weed? Possibly try other drugs? Communicate with unknown men online? By the sounds of it though, her mom had no idea, whatsoever. Not a judgment, just an observation.

:Snippet:

"Over the years, we’ve remained committed to searching areas where Mekayla was believed to be travelling and have followed up on over 1,000 tips we received from the public to date, with no confirmed sightings,” the statement read.

'It feels like yesterday': Vigil marks 7 years since disappearance of Mekayla Bali

I've spent the last couple hours reading the 16 pages of thread on this case and my whole outlook has changed. IMHO, she clearly had somewhat of a jekyll/hyde complex with behavior choices. Maybe she did smoke weed? Possibly try other drugs? Communicate with unknown men online? By the sounds of it though, her mom had no idea, whatsoever. Not a judgment, just an observation.
It would be nice to know what law enforcement knows, but it's better that we don't since it's an ongoing investigation. Honestly, I don't think the drug aspect is related to the case; I think she was most likely attempting to impress her friends like most teenagers do.

This was my original theory: She was chatting with a predator—perhaps somebody she initially met on Tumblr—and from there he established a line of chat that would be difficult to trace. Since he's virtually a stranger, he wouldn't be familiar with her area, which would explain her constantly changing movements. She was likely texting him nonstop in an attempt to direct him to her exact area. And eventually, they met...

... But then I looked at all the tiny details and felt that my theory looked weak. It's difficult to predict the thoughts and actions of a complete stranger since human beings are incredibly complex, especially at 16. To this day, I remain completely baffled.

This case and the Faith Hedgepeth case are so much less active here than I would have thought.
Unfortunately, I don't think Mekayla is alive, even if by an unlikely chance she actually was initially trafficked or even a runaway.

The only things we can be sure of is that she was communicating with someone immediately before her disappearance and that this someone has not come forward. What was the nature of that communication and what was the aim of her skipping school, remains murky.

It is possible that the sole aim of her skipping school was to meet up with that someone and that all of her other actions revolved around that. But I would keep my mind open for the option that her initial plans (and possibly the inital plans of the person she was in contact with) might have been something totally different from "meeting up with a crush" type of theory.

Why was she so desperate to get to the bank? Why was she trying to pawn her rings? Why did she send the "I need help" text and what did she figure out following that? Why is she walking in and out of the cafe? While on the one hand she seems to maybe be desperate for money, on the other hand she is buying coffee and poutine, so it's not like she is a few dollars short of a bus ticket or something.

I'm the same age as Mekayla and remember using Kik a LOT around this time. Kik required no proof of identification so people could easily make accounts pretending to be someone else. IMO she met someone through Kik who groomed her and convinced her to hang out with them, and she tried to get money from the bank or from her rings because the person convinced her to do so. I don't think she had intentions of running away and was planning to skip school and hang out with the person. Again, just my opinion.

Jul 11, 2017
"There's not a single day that goes by that I don't pray for you. We will find you and bring you home" - Mekayla Bali's family pleas for her safe return in a new, emotional video from the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children.

I am somewhat surprised it is not solved. It is still one of the cases that I think is solvable, there should be enough evidence.

I'm not sure if they ever can go that way, but I suspect a geo-fence search would probably show 1 unknown mobile phone moving together with her before hers is turned off, the unknown phones history would show at least where it was in the months before, if not directly name the owner.

Oh wow wish I'd found this poor girl's thread earlier, I've recently become engrossed in her case. I've always thought her biological father may have something to do with it, and I think someone helped him to help her meet up with him, and she just never came back. I heard her home life wasn't too great with her mother, and for some reason she doesn't strike me as the type to go off with a stranger somewhere.

Of course I don't know that for sure, but the nature of the case alludes to an abduction or kidnapping by a relative possibly.

Oh wow wish I'd found this poor girl's thread earlier, I've recently become engrossed in her case. I've always thought her biological father may have something to do with it, and I think someone helped him to help her meet up with him, and she just never came back. I heard her home life wasn't too great with her mother, and for some reason she doesn't strike me as the type to go off with a stranger somewhere.

Of course I don't know that for sure, but the nature of the case alludes to an abduction or kidnapping by a relative possibly.
This case is heartbreaking. Growing up in the area you don't expect this,it still feels like a close nit farm town . But it's changing drugs are more prominent in the city. I'm thinking she met someone online and was trafficked or murdered . I feel for her mom she is out there all the time keeping her daughters name out there. I think the rcmp dropped the ball in the begining by not taking it seriously, there's not a whole lot of abductions in that area but there are runaways. I hope her mom can get answers jmoo

Just revisiting the case as it popped up in my feed. Retreading through the sequence of events that day, I couldn't shake the feeling that Mekayla was having some kind of episode. The erratic behavior, strange movement patterns, taking her phone apart, lying about her bank balance, the disheveled appearance. I'm not saying that's what I think happened, but it was my visceral reaction. If she was in a vulnerable state, she may have ended up living rough somewhere and fallen into a dangerous lifestyle.

The circumstances of her disappearance could equally be the result of an online predator. She took her phone apart to change SIM to call them, they may have asked her to book the hotel room, and maybe she was expecting them to wire her the $5000. It could be a similar story to Alicia Navarro, and Mekayla's been living with this person off the grid all this time, but foul play cannot be ruled out either.

Just revisiting the case as it popped up in my feed. Retreading through the sequence of events that day, I couldn't shake the feeling that Mekayla was having some kind of episode. The erratic behavior, strange movement patterns, taking her phone apart, lying about her bank balance, the disheveled appearance. I'm not saying that's what I think happened, but it was my visceral reaction. If she was in a vulnerable state, she may have ended up living rough somewhere and fallen into a dangerous lifestyle.

The circumstances of her disappearance could equally be the result of an online predator. She took her phone apart to change SIM to call them, they may have asked her to book the hotel room, and maybe she was expecting them to wire her the $5000. It could be a similar story to Alicia Navarro, and Mekayla's been living with this person off the grid all this time, but foul play cannot be ruled out either.
There's so many places out there for rough living. So many old farm houses .so many hiding spots. So many things could of happened,my daughter thinks someone could of overheard her asking about bus to Regina maybe the offered her a ride and something bad happened. But who knows . It's just sad jmoo

Retreading through the sequence of events that day, I couldn't shake the feeling that Mekayla was having some kind of episode. The erratic behavior, strange movement patterns, taking her phone apart, lying about her bank balance, the disheveled appearance. I'm not saying that's what I think happened, but it was my visceral reaction.
There really are quite some similarities, it crossed my mind as well. And cannabis-induced psychosis is very common in that demographic (teens and young adults). But there are some aspects that I think rule it out:
  • She was most probably really talking to someone on the phone, and that someone has never came forward - now it is possible she was pretending, or talking without actually calling (believing whatever delusions she had) as is it possible that the "someone" on the other end of the phone never knew her real identity and never knew she went missing. But I consider these options fairly unlikely and even more so as she was contacting her friends as usual in between.
  • Her friends and family members have never stated they think she was "off" - I have first-hand experience that these things are not always easy to understand in the situation, especially if you don't have prior experience with that, however, imo usually people say stuff like "I could not really understand what she meant" or "she was acting kinda odd" or "it was just really weird" and notice some signs in hindsight.
  • She was a teenager - many of her odd behaviours can be explained by being a young teen and struggling a little. It seems odd that she would not have thought about the opening hours of a bank when asking for a ride, but it's something a kid could do, from either simply not thinking or from assuming that as it is important to her, it must happen (like assuming it must be open or assuming her friend will be late for school for that or similar). The movements could be connected to both avoiding being spotted skipping school and trying to locate someone (or something). It is not rare for young teens to lie about their boyfriends, their money, exagerate their plans etc and sometimes the line between reality and the life they play in theor heads can become a bit blurred.
What is more, I recognize some things that are exactly the kind of things a young girl might do if she is desprate in connection to someone she is in love with (who might be manipulative), such as trying to pawn your stuff to get money (to meet them or to buy them something or because they need the money), desperately trying to get help from strangers but hiding what's going on from your family and friends (you don't want them to think badly of him or stop you), and, well, dragging a giant backpack around for half a day and complicating your life a lot.

What is odd to me is that
* LE said her phone was swiched off the next morning
* LE has AFAIK never said where did the phone move before that next morning

if she was indeed having an episode then chances are whoever she was meeting up with she likely exhibited the same behaviour with them, and either went off or they had an argument and the person dropped her off somewhere and she ran off into some woods and potentially died. I know Canada has a lot of areas which are weird/sketchy so it's entirely possible she has died of her own accord or some sketchy people have led her into misadventure and she didn't find her way back..

if she was indeed having an episode then chances are whoever she was meeting up with she likely exhibited the same behaviour with them, and either went off or they had an argument and the person dropped her off somewhere and she ran off into some woods and potentially died. I know Canada has a lot of areas which are weird/sketchy so it's entirely possible she has died of her own accord or some sketchy people have led her into misadventure and she didn't find her way back..
BBM....

U do....do u?

lolololololololol

R u a comedian?

Interesting theory, but based on the camera footage she just seemed to be nervous, which is normal for teenagers to feel when meeting complete strangers from the internet (which is the likeliest scenario in this case, I believe)

BBM....

U do....do u?

lolololololololol

R u a comedian?
Sasketchyweird... obvs. :p :)

This case has always stuck with me, I think because it feels so relatable. I feel like it could have been me when I was that age, or my sister, or my friends, or even my niece today. Watching the footage makes me desperately want to reach out to her and stop her heading into danger. It feels as though it should be solvable, but here we are 8 years later

I wish Mekayla had known so many people care about her even strangers like us, but I think she was groomed by a predator and by the time she realised it was too late. MOO

Interesting theory, but based on the camera footage she just seemed to be nervous, which is normal for teenagers to feel when meeting complete strangers from the internet (which is the likeliest scenario in this case, I believe)

Yeah that or she knew what she was getting into and happened to be nervous because of that, but the last ever camera footage of her I find to be so eerie and sad...she's walking away and there's a highway right next to her...plenty of witnesses. Hard to imagine what could have gone wrong.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sweetkittykat
Back