CANADA Canada - Melanie Ethier, 15, New Liskeard, Ont, 29 Sept 1996

Just to go back a bit in time to 1996 and note the popular songs then, although Melanie and her friends may have enjoyed other artists and styles.
Wondering if Melanie was into rap or rave music, it might offer a clue or serve as a reminder of that time and place when Melanie disappeared. imo, speculation, fwiw.
List of number-one singles of 1996 (Canada) - Wikipedia
"This is a list of the weekly Canadian RPM magazine[n 1] number one Top Singles chart of 1996"
"Exhale (Shoop Shoop)" Whitney Houston
62:23-24 22 January - 29 January 2 "One Sweet Day" Mariah Carey
62:25 5 February 1 "One of Us" Joan Osborne
62:26 12 February 1 "Time" Hootie & the Blowfish
63:1-3 19 February - 4 March 3 "Missing" Everything but the Girl
63:4 11 March 1 "The World I Know" Collective Soul
63:5 18 March 1 "I Want to Come Over" Melissa Etheridge
63:6 25 March 1 "Follow You Down" Gin Blossoms
63:7-12 1 April - 6 May 6 "Ironic" Alanis Morissette
63:13 13 May 1 "Closer to Free" Bodeans
63:14 20 May 1 "Always Be My Baby" Mariah Carey
63:15-17 27 May - 10 June 3 "Old Man & Me (When I Get to Heaven)" Hootie & the Blowfish
63:18 17 June 1 "Give Me One Reason" Tracy Chapman
63:19 24 June 1 "Ahead by a Century" The Tragically Hip
63:20 1 July 1 "You Learn" Alanis Morissette
63:21 8 July 1 "Ahead by a Century" (re-entry) The Tragically Hip
63:22 15 July 1 "The Only Thing That Looks Good on Me Is You" Bryan Adams
63:23-24 22 July - 29 July 2 "You Learn" (re-entry) Alanis Morissette
63:25-26, 64:1-3 5 August - 2 September 5 "Change the World" Eric Clapton
64:4-8 9 September - 7 October 5 "Key West Intermezzo (I Saw You First)" John Mellencamp
64:9-10 14 October - 21 October 2 "Let's Make a Night to Remember" Bryan Adams
64:11-12 28 October - 4 November 2 "It's All Coming Back to Me Now" Celine Dion
64:13 11 November 1 "If It Makes You Happy" Sheryl Crow
64:14-18 18 November - 6 January 1997 ¶ 8 ¶ "Head Over Feet" Alanis Morissette

Awesome ... thanks!

Has HT ever been considered in Melanie's case? imo, speculation.
'Anyone can be a victim': Canadian high school girls being lured into sex trade | CBC News
"Police estimate that every day, thousands of local underage girls and young women across the province are being trafficked. They are being forced by pimps into prostitution -- in what has become known as "The Game."

Earlier this month, a provincial legislative committee reported that Ontario has become what it calls a "major hub" for human trafficking and sexual violence in Canada"

This Woman Was Trafficked at a Club When She Was 19
"This Woman Was Trafficked at a Club When She Was 19—And It Could Happen to *Anyone*
One woman’s story about what it’s like to be sold for sex in Canada, and why she’s far from the only one"

This is definitely a thought shared by many .... Although I do not know why Melanie was taken, I think it's important that her Mother, posted " Both the police and I believe that my daughter was picked up , murdered , and that her body was disposed of". As a parent I do believe we experience and know what cannot be explained. :)

This is definitely a thought shared by many .... Although I do not know why Melanie was taken, I think it's important that her Mother, posted " Both the police and I believe that my daughter was picked up , murdered , and that her body was disposed of". As a parent I do believe we experience and know what cannot be explained. :)

Totally OT ... but new member Jaanniss, I saw your question in the welcome thread and want you to that Trophy Points are good (for likes of your post, etc.) see that thread for a few other replies to you. Welcome To Websleuths # 3
Welcome to WS and for posting!

On September 28, 1996 at 10 pm, Melanie left her home, heading off to watch movies with friends. Melanie left from and was expected to return to Wellington St N in New Liskeard ON. At 2 am September 29, she left a private residence on Pine Ave E and has never returned home. In 2010, OPP released information that someone had come forward and identified Melanie as being on the Wabi River bridge at approx. 2 am.

In April of this year, 2018, information was posted on the facebook page, stating that she hadn’t made it far from the house on Pine Ave.

On June 13/18 Melanie’s Mother asked publicly that anyone with information about a white cube van, in the community, at the time of Melanie’s disappearance, to please private message her.

As we approach the 22 year anniversary of her disappearance, her Mother has posted two photos, side by side – both photos are night shots, one of the bridge and one she identifies as being the last place Melanie was seen, on the street outside of the house she had been watching videos with friends.

Attachments

• melanie bridge N.jpg
    melanie bridge N.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 49
  • melanie pine ave.jpg
    melanie pine ave.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 49
On September 28, 1996 at 10 pm, Melanie left her home, heading off to watch movies with friends. Melanie left from and was expected to return to Wellington St N in New Liskeard ON. At 2 am September 29, she left a private residence on Pine Ave E and has never returned home. In 2010, OPP released information that someone had come forward and identified Melanie as being on the Wabi River bridge at approx. 2 am.

In April of this year, 2018, information was posted on the facebook page, stating that she hadn’t made it far from the house on Pine Ave.

On June 13/18 Melanie’s Mother asked publicly that anyone with information about a white cube van, in the community, at the time of Melanie’s disappearance, to please private message her.

As we approach the 22 year anniversary of her disappearance, her Mother has posted two photos, side by side – both photos are night shots, one of the bridge and one she identifies as being the last place Melanie was seen, on the street outside of the house she had been watching videos with friends.
Did the white cube van have the word " smooth " written on it?
Speculation, imo.
Police hope photo of van will help solve sex assaults
Police hope photo of van will help solve sex assaults
image.jpg

Toronto police released this composite photo of a van that they say was involved in two sexual assaults early Sept. 27, 2002. (Handout)

Last edited:
Melanie's Mom has posted a map that clearly marks Melanie's intended walk... clears up some discrepencies in information that has been nagging at me ...

Attachments

• celinemapsmelaniewalk.jpg
    celinemapsmelaniewalk.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 28
Has HT ever been considered in Melanie's case? imo, speculation.
'Anyone can be a victim': Canadian high school girls being lured into sex trade | CBC News
"Police estimate that every day, thousands of local underage girls and young women across the province are being trafficked. They are being forced by pimps into prostitution -- in what has become known as "The Game."

Earlier this month, a provincial legislative committee reported that Ontario has become what it calls a "major hub" for human trafficking and sexual violence in Canada"

This Woman Was Trafficked at a Club When She Was 19
"This Woman Was Trafficked at a Club When She Was 19—And It Could Happen to *Anyone*
One woman’s story about what it’s like to be sold for sex in Canada, and why she’s far from the only one"

... at the end of November 2018 police with the Sex Crimes and Human Trafficking Enforcement Team raided a private property in Chamberlain Township, Ont. - just north of New Liskeard - and human trafficking charges have been laid.

Canada's Missing | Case details

The Doe Network: Case File 1685DFON

t approximately 2:00 am September 28, 1996, Melanie Marie Ethier left a friend’s residence to walk to her home, 1 km away in the Town of New Liskeard. Melanie did not reach her residence and was subsequently reported as missing by her mother to the New Liskeard Police Service. There is no evidence that Melanie left the New Liskeard area on a voluntary basis. All evidence and data collected to date would indicate that Melanie Ethier has met with foul play at the hands of person(s) unknown. New Liskeard is located in the North East Region of Ontario on the West shore of Lake Temiskaming and is bordered on the West by Trans-Canada Highway # 11. The Town is also on Highway # 65 East which goes into the Province of Quebec, a distance of 23 kilometers.

Case File 1685DFON

MEthier.jpg
MEthier1.jpg
MEthier2.jpg
MEthier3.jpg

Melanie Nadia Ethier
Missing since September 29, 1996 from New Liskeard, Ontario, Canada
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics

• Date Of Birth: December 25, 1980
    • Age at Time of Disappearance: 15 years old
    • Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'5'; 120 lbs.
    • Distinguishing Characteristics: Black female. Long braided black hair; brown eyes. Dark complexion. Slender build.
    • Clothing: Green Nike jacket, blue jeans, white t-shirt with blue heart Pepe logo and black boots.

Circumstances of Disappearance
Ethier was last seen while walking home from the Pine Street East area of New Liskeard, Ontario on September 29, 1996.

The Grade 11 student at Ecole Secondaire Sainte-Marie left a friend's house in the east end of this Northern Ontario town about 02.00 a.m. to walk the six blocks to her home.
She was reported missing to the New Liskeard Police later that day.

A large ground, air and water search of the area where she was last seen failed to yield any clues. Foul play is strongly suspected in this disappearance. Police do not believe that Melanie intended to leave the area voluntarily.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

New Liskeard Police Service
705-647-4388
--
Ontario Provincial Police
1-888-310-1122
--
Ontario Provincial Police
Temiskaming Detachment
705-647-8400

Agency Case Number: 20060146

Source Information:
Missing Person - Melanie Ethier
Child Find Canada
OPP

OPP have released three videos that look at unsolved homicide and missing person cases hoping a tip from the public might help solve the mysteries.

One of the cases is Melanie Ethier. It's been 23 years since the 15-year-old girl disappeared without a trace while walking home from a friend's house in New Liskeard, less than a kilometre away at approximately 2 a.m. on Sept. 29, 1996. She was never seen or heard from again.

OPP hoping new video can spark tips to solve Melanie Ethier cold case - TimminsToday.com

OPP have released three videos that look at unsolved homicide and missing person cases hoping a tip from the public might help solve the mysteries.

One of the cases is Melanie Ethier. It's been 23 years since the 15-year-old girl disappeared without a trace while walking home from a friend's house in New Liskeard, less than a kilometre away at approximately 2 a.m. on Sept. 29, 1996. She was never seen or heard from again.

OPP hoping new video can spark tips to solve Melanie Ethier cold case - TimminsToday.com
Awesome, thanks for the link!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EnvyofAngels
Back