GUILTY Canada - Registered nurse facing 8 murder charges, Woodstock, Ont, 25 Oct 2016

Kiran Dhillon@KiranCTV
We're now on to Gladys Millard who was also a patient of Caressant Care.

Kiran Dhillon@KiranCTV
Wettlaufer says Millard had quite the spirit, chuckles as she recounts stories of her.

Kiran Dhillon@KiranCTV
The police officer asks Wettlaufer if she ever got the feeling to do insulin injections the way she did to Millard outside of work.

Kiran Dhillon@KiranCTV
Wettlaufer says no.

Kiran Dhillon@KiranCTV
Wettlaufer says there were no cameras in the rooms.

Natalie Johnson@NatalieCTV
Wettlaufer in confession video: "When someone's dying, it seems like it takes longer than it does."

Kiran Dhillon@KiranCTV
Wettlaufer says after she did the injections, she would often wonder if the person died and if she would get caught.

Kiran Dhillon@KiranCTV
Wettlaufer says the stress of her job played a role in what she did. She says she never went to work intoxicated but would "use" at work.

Kiran Dhillon@KiranCTV
We're now listening to Wettlaufer's account of the Helen Young.

Kiran Dhillon@KiranCTV
Wettlaufer says she was feeling guilty, she didn't want to do it anymore. She started praying, going to church to stop her urges.

Kiran Dhillon@KiranCTV
Back to Helen Young, that was a side note.

Kiran Dhillon@KiranCTV
She says Young was miserable, said she wanted to die. She says she kept saying, "help me nurse." Calls her very difficult.

Kiran Dhillon@KiranCTV
Wettlaufer says, "I thought ok. You will die." She then says she injected her with the insulin. Young then had a seizure, she says.

Kiran Dhillon@KiranCTV
Wettlaufer says she took her vital signs and "pretended" to take her blood sugar.

Kiran Dhillon@KiranCTV
Wettlaufer says for a few years she hadn't given in to her urges to kill. After she relapsed she felt very upset with herself, she says.

Kiran Dhillon@KiranCTV
Wettlaufer says she told a priest what she'd done. He/she told her if she did it again, they would have to turn her in.

Kiran Dhillon@KiranCTV
Kinda jumping all the place with timelines and dates. Kind of how the video goes at times.

Kiran Dhillon@KiranCTV
As for the courtroom, it's pretty quiet here. Wettlaufer, in person and in the video, is pretty emotionless.

Kiran Dhillon@KiranCTV
Wettlaufer is now talking about Beverly Bertram. This woman, she says, she didn't want to die, just to go into a coma.

Kiran Dhillon@KiranCTV
Bertram survived the insulin injection she was given. Quickly we've moved on to victim Maureen Pickering.

Kiran Dhillon@KiranCTV
Wettlaufer gave Pickering more than one dose of insulin. A few hours apart.

Kiran Dhillon@KiranCTV
Wettlaufer says she was fired from Caressant Care because she made medication errors, not on purpose though, she says.

Kiran Dhillon@KiranCTV
She blames the errors because of her "workload."

Kiran Dhillon@KiranCTV
Wettlaufer started working at Meadow Park Long Term Care next. She said she told them about her med errors at Caressant.

Kiran Dhillon@KiranCTV
Next victim. Arpad Horvath. Wettlaufer says he was "mean" and "difficult" so she gave him the insulin.

Kiran Dhillon@KiranCTV
She says he fought her on it. But she says she never told the victims what she was doing as she did it.

Kiran Dhillon@KiranCTV
Or at least not what she was really doing.

Kiran Dhillon@KiranCTV
No emotion from Wettlaufer, but families in courtroom appear upset.

Kiran Dhillon@KiranCTV
Wettlaufer now talking about the victims she injected with insulin who didn't die. There are six of them.

Kiran Dhillon@KiranCTV
There was Wayne Hedges, Michael Priddle, Sandra Towler, Beverly Bertram, Clotilde Adriano, and Albina Demedeiros.

Kiran Dhillon@KiranCTV
Wettlaufer says Sandra Towler almost died but another nurse found her in time.

Kiran Dhillon@KiranCTV
Wettlaufer says the only victim who was really thought about ahead of time was Beverly Bertram. She was frustrated so she gave her insulin.

Kiran Dhillon@KiranCTV
Reminder: Wettlaufer started confessing to people since 2008, including friends and a pastor. Many time it went unreported.

Kiran Dhillon@KiranCTV
Wettlaufer says her hope for the future is to help someone. Teaching someone to read in jail, doctors studying her, etc.

Kiran Dhillon@KiranCTV
In video, Wettlaufer says she wants 2 go home, see her parents. She says she'll be available to police and will return for trial.

Kiran Dhillon@KiranCTV
She wants to explain what happened to her parents.

Kiran Dhillon@KiranCTV
Video is over. Sentencing is now on June 26 and 27. Victim impact statements will be read then.

Kiran Dhillon@KiranCTV
The justice addresses the families, "thank you for the strength you've shown."

Kiran Dhillon@KiranCTV
Wettlaufer just left court.

[video=twitter;870392589886861312]https://twitter.com/KiranCTV/status/870392589886861312[/video]

Kiran Dhillon@KiranCTV
Wettlaufer says her hope for the future is to help someone. Teaching someone to read in jail, doctors studying her, etc.

This ^^. She already believes that she's going to have a productive life in prison and access to the other inmates.

Doctor's studying her? :waitasec:

MOO

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada...wettlaufer-woodstock-nurse-guilty-murder.html
attachment.php

Elizabeth Wettlaufer's alleged murder victims, from top left clockwise, Maureen Pickering, Gladys Millard, Helen Matheson, Arpad Horvath, Helen Young (no photo available), Maurice (Moe) Granat, Mary Zurawinski and James Silcox.

Attachments

• wettlaufer-composite.jpg
    wettlaufer-composite.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 51
Kiran Dhillon@KiranCTV

This ^^. She already believes that she's going to have a productive life in prison and access to the other inmates.

Doctor's studying her? :waitasec:

MOO

Somehow i think that going to jail is exactly what EW wanted all along, but not as any old prisoner, but as a " famous " one, destined to receive much interest and attention because she is a serial killer, imo. speculation.
Perhaps she anticipates visits from doctors, reporters and clergy and maybe even looking forward to the company of other prisoners..imo

If true, and she did confess her murderous ways to different people (friends, pastor) since 2008, that is disgusting and shame on these people for not erring on the side of caution (if they didn't really believe her) and reporting her to police. Had they done so, how many of these dear old folks would have never been murdered? if ANYONE, even a dear family member, told me that they intentionally killed people entrusted to their care, I wouldn't think twice about reporting to police, I would be horrified and I'd feel a strong moral obligation to report it so that it could be verified. IMO these people who didn't tell anyone are almost as guilty as her.

There seems to be a real discrepancy in her stated reasons for murdering these poor residents. In some cases she claims she felt that God was telling her to kill them, to "go home to him" but then there seems to be a common theme where she basically admits she killed each of them because they were "difficult" or demanding, or annoying to her in some way. It obviously can't be both.

I was shocked and appalled to read the media tweets/MSM that she killed her first resident on her very first day working at one of the nursing homes.

As a former RN in Canada, it is beyond horrific to me that she was fired from so many care homes (for alleged "medication errors") yet kept securing new employment. Did her former employers not report her to her provincial RN licensing body?.....and if so, why didn't her licensing body suspend her license to practice?

It is also disgusting (not to mention so disrespectful to the families) that MSM posted a statement from her mother, who defended her murderous wretch of a daughter, by saying "if it hadn't been for her confessing then nobody would have even know what she'd done." My guess is that when she admitted the murders to the staff at the mental health facility she'd been previously an inpatient at (who then reported it to police) she assumed her 'confession' would be kept secret under the belief of doctor-patient confidentiality (which of course is not the case if a patient admits to having harmed or murdered someone).

The fact that she has the arrogance and audacity to claim that she'll be able to do something positive in prison like "teach someone to read" or "be studied by doctors" - it shows what a sociopath she is. I hope she spends her time in prison in solitary confinement.

This case is so beyond troubling. My heart goes out to the families who had to listen to the details about how their dear parents/grandparents/siblings , while completely defenseless, were murdered by an evil monster. I can't even begin to image the pain.

I know her and her family. I don't think she killed anyone. I'm sorry to see her plead guilty because I doubt she could kill a flea. I think the whole story is created from a drug-addled mind. Oh my, I wish we could hear some conclusive evidence.

I don't even know what to say to this.

I'm sure many serial killers seemed sweet and nice and harmless to their friends at some point, too.

I don't even know what to say to this.

I'm sure many serial killers seemed sweet and nice and harmless to their friends at some point, too.

Yes, that's true. I only wish that there was some evidence of murder and not just her word. It's not unknown for people to claim guilt for terrible crimes that they never committed. We haven't seen any evidence in this case, and the crimes are extremely serious. I wonder how the judge will proceed.

EW confessed to these crimes right from the beginning, to many people before eventually telling LE it seems. She was very specific about the people who she injected, listing off all their names. I'm sure there were other people who did die of natural causes during her time at Caresant Care but it doesn't sound like any of the people who were listed in this case were expected to die quite so suddenly.

There are also a number of people who did not die but it can probably be verified that they suffered some type of medical "episode" at the time that EW claims she injected them with insulin. A couple are still alive and one or both may have given a statement about their experience.

Two bodies were exhumed and while we are not privy to the results of any forensics on those, it does not appear as though EW's defence attorney was advocating on her behalf that this may just be the ramblings of a drug addled or mentally unstable person. While it appears that her attorney was able to convince her to plead not guilty at the beginning until discovery evidence started coming in, it appears that her attorney was comfortable with her pleading guilty a year and a half later after seeing that discovery.

There were a few tweets that hinted on some evidence...

Nicole Lampa@nicolelampa
Crown: computer searches reveal Wettlaufer looked up obits for 5 of her victims.

Wettlaufer once googled "how long and how painful is insulin death?"

Nicole Lampa@nicolelampa
Crown: Wettlaufer also looked up articles and book "When Nurses Kill". @CTVKitchener

And her mental health diagnosis indicated...

Wettlaufer's mental health assessment found no evidence of psychosis. No hallucinations and full understanding of her actions.

Wettlaufer was diagnosed with adult anti-social behaviour, borderline personality disorder and major depressive disorder.

I don't think there is an example of anyone who claimed guilt for a crime(s) that LE weren't even aware of until they confessed. Especially one in which they were not the perpetrator.

EW appeared to have been living a very conflicted life. It seems as though she felt she was expected to be the perfect everything to everyone and she was battling some very dark thoughts at the same time. She indicated that she felt pressure to be the perfect nurse. Her attachment to her parents, and her need to explain things to them before being taken into custody, indicates to me that she felt pressure to be the perfect daughter. And even your statement that you doubt she would hurt a flea indicate that she was presenting a picture on the outside to friends and colleagues that was conflicting with what she was feeling on the inside.

It is always hard for friends and family to come to terms with the reality of what someone is capable of when you are so sure you would be able to recognize the signs of someone who could bring harm to others. It kind of shakes your belief in your own ability to be a good judge of character. But these people are good at hiding the symptoms and signs, especially someone who felt the need to be seen as the nicest person and best nurse there ever was.

Nursing is a tough job...very tough. It actually alarms me more when a nurse does not show outward signs of anger and stress to other co-workers, either on the job or complaints behind the scenes, because no one is that infallible. Although the drug addiction and medication errors should have been a clue for a lot of people that this nurse was not coping well and was struggling. Not to mention the repeated attempts at telling people what she was doing. But make no mistake, she was aware that what she was doing was murder.

I do think she is relieved by confessing and is actually okay with spending the rest of her life in prison with no more responsibilities. Everything is out in the open now, the pressure is off, and she can spend her days on mindless activities to pass the time.

MOO

[video=youtube;DjWG9qyPOMU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjWG9qyPOMU[/video]

Nursing is a tough job...very tough. It actually alarms me more when a nurse does not show outward signs of anger and stress to other co-workers, either on the job or complaints behind the scenes, because no one is that infallible.

I don't believe for a minute that her "tough job" as an RN contributed to her being a murderous monster. Why? Because she became an RN on 2007, began her first nursing job at Woodstock Caressant in June 2007 - and murdered her first resident/patient on August 17, 2007 (Mr Silcox). You don't become "so burned out" from your job in a less than 2 months, that's just not even realistic. I say this as a former RN of almost 30 years. In addition, when you listen/watch the video of her being interviewed by police, she admits to the interviewing officer/detective that although Mr Silcox was the first man she murdered, there had been other patients she'd injected with insulin prior to that, who did not die. So she pretty much began her nursing career trying to kill patients, right from the start. That is not nursing burn-out, that's an evil predator.

This link contains a timeline of the murders she committed, showing that Mr Silcox death as Aug 17/07: http://www.torontosun.com/2017/06/0...abeth-wettlaufers-victims-react-to-confession

This link shows she began work @ Caressant in June 2007: https://www.thestar.com/news/canada...-wettlaufer-the-nurse-on-the-night-shift.html

th

I don't believe for a minute that her "tough job" as an RN contributed to her being a murderous monster. Why? Because she became an RN on 2007, began her first nursing job at Woodstock Caressant in June 2007 - and murdered her first resident/patient on August 17, 2007 (Mr Silcox). You don't become "so burned out" from your job in a less than 2 months, that's just not even realistic. I say this as a former RN of almost 30 years. In addition, when you listen/watch the video of her being interviewed by police, she admits to the interviewing officer/detective that although Mr Silcox was the first man she murdered, there had been other patients she'd injected with insulin prior to that, who did not die. So she pretty much began her nursing career trying to kill patients, right from the start. That is not nursing burn-out, that's an evil predator.

This link contains a timeline of the murders she committed, showing that Mr Silcox death as Aug 17/07: http://www.torontosun.com/2017/06/0...abeth-wettlaufers-victims-react-to-confession

This link shows she began work @ Caressant in June 2007: https://www.thestar.com/news/canada...-wettlaufer-the-nurse-on-the-night-shift.html

th

She actually became an RN in 1995. There has been no coverage of what she did for work prior to starting at Caressant Care in 2007 when her killing spree began.

And I agree, it is not an excuse...at all and I didn't intend to make it seem like it was. Nor should she be able to use it to try to justify what she did. We have to assume that of the hundreds of thousands of RN's in this country, that not one has ever thought of, much less carried out, the same vile act on a patient. She is a completely different breed and I'm sure the nursing community is appalled that she was ever licensed.

That was just my opinion as to why people should have known something might be up with her. Her supposedly "cheery and friendly" personality as a nurse (especially in a nursing home environment), all the time would be a red flag for me as a co-worker. Everyone has off days or personal problems and vents about the job once in a while. When someone doesn't, and puts on a front of being cheerful, friendly and empathetic all the time, while also being supposedly caught "passed out" on the job, then it's obvious that things might not be as they seem.

But I suppose in hindsight those people who did work with her at Caressant Care have gone over their interactions with her and carry their own level of guilt for not realizing what she was up to and they are just more victims of EW's selfish actions IMO.

One thing is for certain though. There couldn't be anyone more unsuited for the position of nursing.

MOO

She actually became an RN in 1995. There has been no coverage of what she did for work prior to starting at Caressant Care in 2007 when her killing spree began.

And I agree, it is not an excuse...at all and I didn't intend to make it seem like it was. Nor should she be able to use it to try to justify what she did. We have to assume that of the hundreds of thousands of RN's in this country, that not one has ever thought of, much less carried out, the same vile act on a patient. She is a completely different breed and I'm sure the nursing community is appalled that she was ever licensed.

That was just my opinion as to why people should have known something might be up with her. Her supposedly "cheery and friendly" personality as a nurse (especially in a nursing home environment), all the time would be a red flag for me as a co-worker. Everyone has off days or personal problems and vents about the job once in a while. When someone doesn't, and puts on a front of being cheerful, friendly and empathetic all the time, while also being supposedly caught "passed out" on the job, then it's obvious that things might not be as they seem.

But I suppose in hindsight those people who did work with her at Caressant Care have gone over their interactions with her and carry their own level of guilt for not realizing what she was up to and they are just more victims of EW's selfish actions IMO.

One thing is for certain though. There couldn't be anyone more unsuited for the position of nursing.

MOO
Hard to know what anyone could have done, we just don't go around being suspicious that people we interact with are secret murderers, and I'm not sure we can really function as a society if we were to always assume the worst about others.

Remember the social trauma when Susan Nelles was accused of killing babies at Sick Kids, and it turned out it was probably a new product that messed up forensic tests (and possibly a messed up pathologist).

Should there be surveillance cameras in all hospital/care homes, and someone's goulish job to review the footage of everyone's videotaped death, scrutinizing and questioning for inappropriate injections, etc?

Perhaps robots will take over as nurses, since a robot can be programmed to never deliver a wrong dose, ever. Not so far-fetched, people who advocate for self-driving cars claim it will be much safer, humans are too dangerous to be allowed to drive cars. And of course, computerizing means you don't have to pay all those truck drivers

I'm really looking forward to my old age, living in a care home, tended to by robots who will use all the latest science and technology to keep me alive as long as possible!

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Hard to know what anyone could have done, we just don't go around being suspicious that people we interact with are secret murderers, and I'm not sure we can really function as a society if we were to always assume the worst about others.

Remember the social trauma when Susan Nelles was accused of killing babies at Sick Kids, and it turned out it was probably a new product that messed up forensic tests (and possibly a messed up pathologist).

Should there be surveillance cameras in all hospital/care homes, and someone's goulish job to review the footage of everyone's videotaped death, scrutinizing and questioning for inappropriate injections, etc?

Perhaps robots will take over as nurses, since a robot can be programmed to never deliver a wrong dose, ever. Not so far-fetched, people who advocate for self-driving cars claim it will be much safer, humans are too dangerous to be allowed to drive cars. And of course, computerizing means you don't have to pay all those truck drivers

I'm really looking forward to my old age, living in a care home, tended to by robots who will use all the latest science and technology to keep me alive as long as possible!

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Except in this case, it wasn't such a secret. She was apparently telling people, including a student nurse's aid, that she was harming patients. And she was supposedly caught passed out from drugs in the basement of the nursing home during one of her shifts. I think her "cheery and friendly" outward personality, and other people's disbelief that she could be doing anything wrong (as the original poster whom I responded to seemed to feel), is what allowed her to get away with her behaviour and actions for so long. I don't believe that episode of when she was found passed out was the reason for her dismissal. And if she had a drug problem, it probably wouldn't have been a reason if she was getting help for her addiction. But it was a red flag that someone needed to intervene and find out what was going on during her night shifts and it appears that no one did anything about it. Maybe they really thought she was a great person and this was a one time thing so they didn't want to get her in trouble. Still should have been reported.

I guess that will just be more fuel for the families when they likely file their wrongful death civil suits against Caressant Care. Nursing homes just need to be held more accountable and I hope something comes from this that forces stricter rules on them instead of allowing them to cut corners to improve their bottom line.

There has to be a solution to allowing one RN full reign over the dispensing of medication and full medical assistance for a nursing home full of patients, especially during the overnight hours when family would not be visiting and patients are at their most vulnerable to their caregivers. I think they should be required to have two RN's on at all times and both should be dispensing the medication together, signing off on each other, to avoid those "medication errors" that EW was also prone to. And if a patient is showing signs of distress, the PSW's have more than one trained medical person to alert to the issue.

And surveillance cameras in all common areas and staff working areas in hospitals (not patient rooms or washrooms) and nursing homes would be a good idea. Keeps people accountable for their actions. No one needs to monitor it. Unless someone thinks there may be a problem...or they have footage to look back on when they discover that there is a problem. Just like a lot of workplaces.

MOO

Elizabeth Wettlaufer's full confession to police
CBC News
Published on Jun 2, 2017
Ontario Provincial Police conducted a 2½-hour-long
interview on Oct. 5, 2016, in which the former nurse described the
killing of patients in her care. To read more: http://cbc.ca/1.4142647
[video=youtube;n3QxsNCg6uQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3QxsNCg6uQ[/video]

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online