CANADA Canada - Sonia Varaschin, 42, Orangeville, 29 Aug 2010 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just wondering what the crime statistics are like in Orangeville and whether this might have been a random burglary gone wrong. It sure doesn't seem to be very premeditated considering all the crime scenes and evidence that was found rather quickly and easily.

Here is a PDF of last years crime statistics report from the Orangeville Police Dept...

http://www.orangeville.ca/cms/documents/3270/Police.pdf

It does seem like a relatively safe place to live based on this but like anywhere they do have crime in pretty much every category.

I have lived in Orangeville since 2001 and the only brush with crime I have had was someone broke into my car in my driveway. It is generally a very safe, small community.

What really strikes me about this case is that all of this high risk behavior from the killer makes it very difficult to formulate a theory that fits all of the facts that we know. I wonder if this killer is clever, or fluked it. The behavior is baffling. I certainly hope we don't have an 'accidental genius' on our hands.

I personally suspect the police have a real good idea who did it, which is why so few details have been made public. It would seem to me that if they were clueless, they would reach out to the public with additional information in the hopes it would 'jog' a memory or two.

Neighbour Steffen Lundy, a resident of the quiet, dead-end Spring Street, heard a ruckus late Sunday night in the vicinity of Ms. Varaschin's home.

"I was sleeping and pretty much woke up to car tires squealing ... and yelling," Mr. Lundy recalled.

Read more: http://www.nationalpost.com/Concern+mounts+missing+woman/3467118/story.html#ixzz10Bc7L3C0

So it seems the perp drew attention to himself. He sure didn't give a crap to be this brazen.

I have lived in Orangeville since 2001 and the only brush with crime I have had was someone broke into my car in my driveway. It is generally a very safe, small community.

What really strikes me about this case is that all of this high risk behavior from the killer makes it very difficult to formulate a theory that fits all of the facts that we know. I wonder if this killer is clever, or fluked it. The behavior is baffling. I certainly hope we don't have an 'accidental genius' on our hands.

I personally suspect the police have a real good idea who did it, which is why so few details have been made public. It would seem to me that if they were clueless, they would reach out to the public with additional information in the hopes it would 'jog' a memory or two.

I expect a video release of the perp soon. I think it's probable they do have him on video, given the cameras on location at the car disposal site, and maybe there are other cameras at other sites on the route he took out of town.

Neighbour Steffen Lundy, a resident of the quiet, dead-end Spring Street, heard a ruckus late Sunday night in the vicinity of Ms. Varaschin's home.

"I was sleeping and pretty much woke up to car tires squealing ... and yelling," Mr. Lundy recalled.

Read more: http://www.nationalpost.com/Concern+mounts+missing+woman/3467118/story.html#ixzz10Bc7L3C0

So it seems the perp drew attention to himself. He sure didn't give a crap to be this brazen.

YELLING???? So, there were scream(s), tires squealing and yelling? Yelling at who and by whom???

What are locations 1, 2 and 2 here in this map? Does this have to do with "things found in the AREA of Sonia's vehicle?"
http://www.nationalpost.com/Concern+mounts+missing+woman/3467118/story.html#ixzz10Bc7L3C0

3467119.bin

# 3 is Sonia's house and 1& 2 I do believe is where the speeding van was seen and where her car was found.

At the bottom of the '3' in the picture above, just across the street, there is another housing unit under construction.

I considered that too, possibly hoping someone would steal the car or at the very least, with the doors and trunk open, someone or something (small animals, rain) would go through the car and contaminate any DNA before it was reported to the police.

MOO

What time did dawn start that day of the murder? If sun was coming up he wanted to avoid being seen.

He was probably in a rush to get away therefore left the keys in car, doors open bc he was removing some equipment like a personal shovel? Didn't have time to bury her bc car was running out of gas and forced him to take another route? Lives close and knows area, avoided camera's and ran home?

This is a rather strange quote. Yelling? Tires squealing? Doesn't make sense. Who would the perpetrator being yelling at and why would they make such a noisy exit? Her own next door neighbour claimed they didn't hear anything.

According to his facebook page, http://www.facebook.com/steffen.lundy1 , Mr Lundy is a young man and according to the white pages he likely lives/lived at 6 Spring St. When looking at google maps, 6 Spring St is nowhere near where Sonia's townhouse was, http://maps.google.ca/maps?rlz=1T4G...code_result&ct=image&resnum=1&ved=0CBYQ8gEwAA

Mr Lundy made this statement very early on to the press as it was first printed on Aug 31 I believe and he has since moved to Montreal according to his FB, perhaps for school? I hope LE had a chance to speak with him before he left. His story doesn't add up IMO. Yelling and tires squealing would indicate more than one perpetrator to me and I just can't see him being able to hear anything from where he lived, especially if he was asleep in bed. Perhaps he did hear yelling and tires squealing but it's unlikely it had anything to do with what was going on at Sonia's home.

MOO

What time did dawn start that day of the murder? If sun was coming up he wanted to avoid being seen.

He was probably in a rush to get away therefore left the keys in car, doors open bc he was removing some equipment like a personal shovel? Didn't have time to bury her bc car was running out of gas and forced him to take another route? Lives close and knows area, avoided camera's and ran home?

Sunrise was 6:39am on Aug 30. The Toronto Sun Driver drove past the area at 3:55am and did not see anything.

This is a rather strange quote. Yelling? Tires squealing? Doesn't make sense. Who would the perpetrator being yelling at and why would they make such a noisy exit? Her own next door neighbour claimed they didn't hear anything.

According to his facebook page, http://www.facebook.com/steffen.lundy1 , Mr Lundy is a young man and according to the white pages he likely lives/lived at 6 Spring St. When looking at google maps, 6 Spring St is nowhere near where Sonia's townhouse was, http://maps.google.ca/maps?rlz=1T4G...code_result&ct=image&resnum=1&ved=0CBYQ8gEwAA

Mr Lundy made this statement very early on to the press as it was first printed on Aug 31 I believe and he has since moved to Montreal according to his FB, perhaps for school? I hope LE had a chance to speak with him before he left. His story doesn't add up IMO. Yelling and tires squealing would indicate more than one perpetrator to me and I just can't see him being able to hear anything from where he lived, especially if he was asleep in bed. Perhaps he did hear yelling and tires squealing but it's unlikely it had anything to do with what was going on at Sonia's home.

MOO

I wonder if the yelling came from Sonias house (sonia trying to fight off perp) and then the tires squealing when he took off)

I wonder if the yelling came from Sonias house (sonia trying to fight off perp) and then the tires squealing when he took off)

Well that's possible but it would have been at two different times. The yelling would have been while Sonia was still alive and the tires squealing would have been when the perpetrator was leaving, after having wrapped her in bedclothes and put her in the vehicle. You'd have to think there would be some amount of time between the two things. Did Mr Lundy get awoken twice? Still doesn't make sense to me.

MOO

Has anyone calculated an approximate timeline from the times the screams were heard (3 am?), travel out to sideroad, travel back to alley? Traveltime from Sonia's house to the sideroad?

The Toronto Star delivery driver was probably there before the perp, at 3:55 am.

It seems as if she was still alive when they left the house, given the screams. I'm guessing he used the trunk to transport her to another location where she was probably murdered. What a horrible thought.

MOO

According to several people this is a quiet street. So there happens to be squealing, yelling and screaming and it happens on the night Sonia is murdered, but not related. I doubt that very much.

Thank-you, Katecav.

What IS open at that time of night on a Sunday in Orangeville, and the surrounding area? Anything happening in Bolton or Caledon?

Most bars, restaurants in Orangeville, Bolton and Caledon close btwn. 11PM-1AM Sunday nights and everything is pretty quiet after 10PM on a Sunday night.

Now THAT is a very good point.

If the keys were found in the ignition, that would make alot of sense, the perp figured her car would indeed get stolen, and perhaps that is why he left it where he did.

Do any of the locals know if that alley way has a high crime rate?

Did the perp really think a car would get stolen when it was covered in all that blood?

According to several people this is a quiet street. So there happens to be squealing, yelling and screaming and it happens on the night Sonia is murdered, but not related. I doubt that very much.

Perhaps I am mistaken about where Sonia's townhouse was on the map. On the map below I have marked where I thought it was with a green arrow. The pink marker is 6 Spring St. If I am correct with these two locations, I just don't see how he could have been in bed at that location and have been the only one who heard yelling coming from Sonia's townhouse. It seems pretty far away to me and there are a lot of houses in between. He certainly might have heard tires squealing right near his house as the person was leaving Spring St altogether but the yelling part has me confused. :waitasec:

2vsht1i.png

Well that's possible but it would have been at two different times. The yelling would have been while Sonia was still alive and the tires squealing would have been when the perpetrator was leaving, after having wrapped her in bedclothes and put her in the vehicle. You'd have to think there would be some amount of time between the two things. Did Mr Lundy get awoken twice? Still doesn't make sense to me.

MOO

A good reporter would have questioned the times instead of just quoting that he heard squeals and screams JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fesmike