CANADA Canada - Sonia Varaschin, 42, Orangeville, 29 Aug 2010 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a rather strange quote. Yelling? Tires squealing? Doesn't make sense. Who would the perpetrator being yelling at and why would they make such a noisy exit? Her own next door neighbour claimed they didn't hear anything.

According to his facebook page, http://www.facebook.com/steffen.lundy1 , Mr Lundy is a young man and according to the white pages he likely lives/lived at 6 Spring St. When looking at google maps, 6 Spring St is nowhere near where Sonia's townhouse was, http://maps.google.ca/maps?rlz=1T4G...code_result&ct=image&resnum=1&ved=0CBYQ8gEwAA

Mr Lundy made this statement very early on to the press as it was first printed on Aug 31 I believe and he has since moved to Montreal according to his FB, perhaps for school? I hope LE had a chance to speak with him before he left. His story doesn't add up IMO. Yelling and tires squealing would indicate more than one perpetrator to me and I just can't see him being able to hear anything from where he lived, especially if he was asleep in bed. Perhaps he did hear yelling and tires squealing but it's unlikely it had anything to do with what was going on at Sonia's home.

MOO

I believe it was "screams and tires squealing" which may have been Sonia screaming

I believe it was "screams and tires squealing" which may have been Sonia screaming

Well all quotes attributed to him were...

Neighbour Steffen Lundy said he heard a ruckus late Sunday night in the vicinity of Varaschin's home.

"I was sleeping and pretty much woke up to car tires squealing . . . and yelling," Lundy recalled.

http://www.globaltoronto.com/Police+look+missing+Orangeville+woman/3464340/story.html

That link also has a video with some interesting footage of her family and of her home. It also mentions the boyfriend who was interrogated.

Perhaps I am mistaken about where Sonia's townhouse was on the map. On the map below I have marked where I thought it was with a green arrow. The pink marker is 6 Spring St. If I am correct with these two locations, I just don't see how he could have been in bed at that location and have been the only one who heard yelling coming from Sonia's townhouse. It seems pretty far away to me and there are a lot of houses in between. He certainly might have heard tires squealing right near his house as the person was leaving Spring St altogether but the yelling part has me confused. :waitasec:

2vsht1i.png

If that is the distance I doubt he heard yelling, like you said probably tires squealing. Did any other neighbor hear anything?

Do you have your map link handy? I would like to walk the little man around the area. Thanks.

To me yelling isn't the same as screaming, screaming which activates our alert systems where yelling is noise and usually associated with arguing. Was the neighbor alerted by the sound of a FEMALE screaming voice or something else like yelling? Did it sound like a fight? Was the yelling traveling along with the sound of the vehicle's screeching tires, meaning the sounds were coming from the moving car? Hmmmmmm... I agree with Kamille and WG that the yelling thing is a strange detail from the same night a woman was brutally murdered. JMO.

To me yelling isn't the same as screaming, screaming which activates our alert systems where yelling is noise and usually associated with arguing. Was the neighbor alerted by the sound of a FEMALE screaming voice or something else like yelling? Did it sound like a fight? Was the yelling traveling along with the sound of the vehicle's screeching tires, meaning the sounds were coming from the moving car? Hmmmmmm... I agree with Kamille and WG that the yelling thing is a strange detail from the same night a woman was brutally murdered. JMO.

The information below was taken from another site

Neighbours told reporters they heard screams from Varaschin's house around 3 a.m. Monday, one insisting tires squealed around the same time.

So this is how the timeline now plays out:

August 30:
2:30 a.m. and 3 a.m. a scream and screeching tires are heard

Here are some more quotes attributed to neighbours.

Neighbour Diane Bowering said Varaschin works as a nurse and leads a relatively quiet life.

"I didn't see her very often but the kids did. All the kids used to play down at the bottom of the hill and she used to give them candy and stuff like that," Bowering said.

Asked if she ever heard problems at Varaschin's home, Bowering said, "nothing at all. She mostly worked nights so we never ever saw her."

Some neighbours heard "noises" coming from the house just before 3 a.m. Monday, Bowering said, echoing mumblings other neighbours repeated, unable to name the source of the information. Some neighbours flatly refused comment.

"Some of them heard screams and tires squealing," Bowering said.

"I live right next door and I didn't hear anything," said Kim Fievet.

http://www.brantconnection.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=2737537

Perhaps I am mistaken about where Sonia's townhouse was on the map. On the map below I have marked where I thought it was with a green arrow. The pink marker is 6 Spring St. If I am correct with these two locations, I just don't see how he could have been in bed at that location and have been the only one who heard yelling coming from Sonia's townhouse. It seems pretty far away to me and there are a lot of houses in between. He certainly might have heard tires squealing right near his house as the person was leaving Spring St altogether but the yelling part has me confused. :waitasec:

2vsht1i.png

Sonia's house is where the Pink Marker is.

The green arrow is not near her house at all.

IMO 5 Spring St is a driveway/street between 3 and 7 Spring St the way I'm looking at the map. This is why all of the townhouses also have a unit number. The complex is considered number 5 and each individual townhouse has a unit number. The pink marker is next to a strange looking property with a group of houses and old vehicles on the even numbered side of the street. There are no townhouses on that part of the street, only single family homes. On the odd numbered side there are about 5 houses only. Does anyone else see it this way looking at the map?

That place on the corner has a large sign on it saying an application has been submitted to put row houses on it that will front Spring St.

Right after 3 Spring St. there is a road , if you look up it there are houses on it, and that side has the odd numbers.

Neighbor Steffen Lundy, a resident of the quiet, dead-end Spring Street, heard a ruckus late Sunday night in the vicinity of Ms. Varaschin's home.

"I was sleeping and pretty much woke up to car tires squealing ... and yelling," Mr. Lundy recalled.

Read more: http://www.nationalpost.com/Concern+mounts+missing+woman/3467118/story.html#ixzz10Bc7L3C0

So it seems the perp drew attention to himself. He sure didn't give a crap to be this brazen.

Brandon Lundy, 20, a tenant in Varaschin’s building, said he doesn’t feel as safe as before and never expected something like this to happen in his neighborhood.

“All that stuff happens in Toronto,” said Lundy.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/cri...ing-woman-may-be-linked-to-bloody-crime-scene

There are two men with the same name on her street giving out comments to the press or was one first name written in error??

Actually the green arrow is pretty close. Her unit is on the left as you look at the map picture above. The arrow appears to show the unit on the right. In any case, each townhome block has two units. There are four blocks that back onto the field (North). Her block was one of the middle two. I say the second in if you look at the map, and my wife says the third.

Brandon Lundy, 20, a tenant in Varaschin’s building, said he doesn’t feel as safe as before and never expected something like this to happen in his neighborhood.

“All that stuff happens in Toronto,” said Lundy.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/cri...ing-woman-may-be-linked-to-bloody-crime-scene

There are two men with the same name on her street giving out comments to the press or was one first name written in error??

Brandon is a tenant in her building??? I thought Sonia lived alone in her condo townhouse? I don't get it. There are other Lundys who live at the end of the access road on Spring St. and Steffen was the other Lundy who spoke to the press about this.

2vsht1i.png

I noticed that the arrow is pointing at a white car and could this be her car? Does she regularly park it outside the garage? Also, 6 Spring St is not at the corner as described in google maps, it's further in on Spring St just opposite of the assess road to the townhomes listed as being on 5 Spring St.

The green arrow is near Sonia's house. Her address if I remember is 5 Spring St., Unit 21 so I'm not sure how the units are numbered but her house is in that little area. I'm pretty sure that is her unit where the green arrow is pointing.

Her townhouse complex is pretty well hidden from the rest of Spring Street, you have to drive up the little driveway before you can see her house. You wouldn't be able to see it from the house with the pink marker.

If you look at the google street view, it looks like 6 Spring St is directly across from the lane going into the townhouse complex. I could see someone living in that house hearing tires squealing out that laneway.

I noticed that the arrow is pointing at a white car and could this be her car? Does she regularly park it outside the garage? Also, 6 Spring St is not at the corner as described in google maps, it's further in on Spring St just opposite of the assess road to the townhomes listed as being on 5 Spring St.

Actually if you load up Google Earth yourself, it will show that the imagery in this area is actually from 2005. I don't believe Sonia lived there then.

Did the perp really think a car would get stolen when it was covered in all that blood?

From the pictures it looked like blood smears in a few places, not covered. But it was night so the killer might have missed those and he was hoping someone would take it. It was a nice newer car. Many times killers have used this tactic. Besides that, most killers aren't too smart. This one included, he is just lucky so far.

If you look at the google street view, it looks like 6 Spring St is directly across from the lane going into the townhouse complex. I could see someone living in that house hearing tires squealing out that laneway.

Oh yes, definitely if there was a car speeding out of that laneway, there would be screaching tires turning there and I believe they would hear it at 6 Spring St. I wonder about the 'yelling' though. Yelling from the car while it was turning? More than one voice? Male versus female voices? Could they hear yelling from Sonia's house from there? Is the laneway on a hill where Sonia's home is near the top? I suppose if her home were on the top of a hill, yelling could be heard from there.

Hi Everyone...
I have been watching your comments for weeks now - hoping to hear of an arrest. I was in downtown Orangeville on the Sunday night that Sonia went missing (between about 5:45 and 7pm). A friend and I stopped for dinner on our way through. I have never seen downtown Orangeville... so quiet. We had parked on Broadway near the White Truffle restaurant and crossed to the other side where the Bluebird Cafe is located. There were no other cars anywhere in the area. The Cafe was closed but I wanted to show my friend the menu. While standing in the doorway, I saw a man in the alleyway leading to the parking lot behind the cafe and other downtown businesses. Warning bells went off instantly (and I don't scare easily). He had a knapsack type of travel bag and I thought perhaps he was waiting for someone... but everything just seemed to be wrong. The canvas travel bag seemed almost empty and not what you would expect someone travelling to be carrying. It wasn't dark yet and I wasn't alone... but I couldn't get away from there fast enough. The man made me nervous enough that as we crossed the road, I whispered to my friend about the man and that I felt that he was up to something. I asked her to turn around and get a look at him when we got to the other side. She looked casually but didn't get the creeps like I did. We walked past our car and looked in the White Truffle restaurant that was open. There wasn't any customers inside and I wasn't comfortable hanging around there. When we headed back to our car, the man crossed the road and was headed up the street our way. There was nothing odd about this guy... and yet everything seemed wrong. I couldn't get into the car fast enough. I didn't hear about Sonia missing until late Tuesday night and did contact the Tip line first thing on Wednesday morning. Coincidence... almost definitely -- and if it would have been in any other location (even somewhere else in Orangeville) --- I would have thought nothing of it.

I am sure that the Police are swamped with tips just like this one and I feel for everyone in Orangeville that must be looking over their shoulder. I pray that LE have a solid lead and are keeping an eye on the suspect(s).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheMidge