CANADA Canada - Sonia Varaschin, 42, Orangeville, 29 Aug 2010 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have a link for the presser if it's live?

“The investigative summit also included senior homicide detectives from OPP, York Regional Police (YRP), Ottawa Police Service (OPS), and Toronto Police Service (TPS).”

Mr. Leon said the news conference should demonstrate to the Sonia killer that “we’re not going away.” As part of the investigation, he said Mark’s Wearhouse is cooperating in the police search for a killer wearing Size 10 or 11 Dakato or WindRiver work boots, a brand sold only by that store.

He acknowledged that 10 and 11 are “common sizes.”

In other respects, the police would still like information on any sighting of Sonia’s white Toyota on the fateful night of Aug. 29-30, as well as any event that might have seemed out of place on that night. “We are trying to fill in the blanks” but he didn’t indicate what time Sonia had left her family home in Bolton on the 29th.

Anyone with information is asked to call Orangeville Police Service at (519) 941-2522, extension 2211 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222- 8477. Crime Stoppers does not subscribe to call display and you will remain anonymous.

http://www.citizen.on.ca/news/2010-12-16/Local_News/Are_Sonia_Shelley_attacks_related.html

Sonia's mother Michelle will be speaking from a prepared statement and will not be taking questions.

There are many media outlets at the presser covering Sonia's case.

5266525900_5e071db382.jpg

Sonia's mother Michelle is appealing to anyone with information to come forward. She says not to assume that LE knows.

5266531692_cfc19da0c1.jpg

I could only watch the first 26 minutes.

Here are my notes from the presser:

-Since August 30th, the OPP has been using all available resources to look for the person or persons responsible

-Recently held an unprecedented, 3 Day Investigative Summit, that included OPP, RCMP and FBI Behavioural Profile Analyists from Quantico, Virginia

-LE is asking residents of the community to exercise personal safety while out in the community and at home

-After a meticulous review of the case at the summit, there are specific traits that LE would like the public to focus on, immediately following the crime, and the days Sonia was discovered

-The following theory is that the man was very likely familiar with Beachgrove Rd., and very specifically the area where Sonia's body was discovered, either for recreational, occupational or illegal activities. *********

-Within days of the discovery, the man displayed unusual behaviour, unexplained absences from work or school, missed appointments.

-Within days of the discovery, may have had in increase in use of alcohol or drugs

-Within days of the discovery, the man may have been irritable, agitated or anxious

-The man may have moved away from the area

-The man may have had limited social interaction

-LE is confident they are are going to get this perp

-Someone is familiar with the traits described here

-LE would like to draw the attention back to the footwear. 6 Different tread possibilites on the size 10-11 Marks Work Wearhouse boot

-The man may still have them or may have disposed of them

-LE will take questions

(Can't hear the journalists questions very well)

-LE has every confidance it is a man

-The man is a cold blooded killer

-The man engaged in very high risk behaviour:

-Entered the home
-Killed Sonia in her home
-Removed Sonia from her home, in the very, very close confines of the townhouses
-Drove with Sonia's body down the highway, to the disposal location
(sound cuts out here on CBC)

-A tip will break this case open

-Can't speak to the evidence

-The investigation does not take place in the public eye

-460 tips

-500 People Interviewed

-LE is questioned about the woman recently attacked and in the hospital:

-There is physical and forensic evidence that is not back from being tested yet
-There are similarities and things dissimilar
-Can't say the 2 cases are not connected
-They are being investigated seperately, but are in touch with those investigators
-Right now the 2 cases appear dissimilar

-Why were the car doors left open on Sonia's car (he doesn't answer this question)

-LE is asked about a weapon. LE is not releasing any info on the weapon

-The killer engaged in very high risk activity. They were reckless. Drove bloody car. Removed body from very close townhouses. Very high risk.

-Asked if the man will kill again or re-offend? Other officer steps in and says that is speculation

-LE is asked what is so special about Sonia's case? Why were the FBI brought in for her case (unprecedented)

-In Canada, a case like Sonia's is so rare

-LE looked for expertise. Brought in Ontario Criminal profilers. FBI helped validate investigative theories and help focus in

-FBI was interested in Sonia's case, the FBI expressed interest (couldn't hear the rest, sorry, this is the thing I am most interested in, will have to go back and listen if nobody else does)

OPP profile suspect in Varaschin

The person suspected of killing Orangeville, Ont., nurse Sonia Varaschin is likely "very familiar" with the town and the area where her remains were found, investigators say.
"The location where Sonia's body was found is an area where the offender may be comfortable and is likely known to him — whether as a result of recreation, occupation or illegal activities," Det.-Insp. Mark Pritchard told reporters at a Thursday morning news conference.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/toronto/story/2010/12/16/opp-varaschin-investigation653.html

So, this article says that Canadian LE travelled to the U.S. to have the Investigative Summit with the FBI. Wow. I wonder if they went to Quantico?

More recently, investigators travelled to the United States to meet with FBI criminal profilers. Top OPP and RCMP behavioural science experts were also present, as were homicide detectives from Ottawa, Toronto, York Region and the OPP.

http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/lo...ce-update-101216/20101216/?hub=TorontoNewHome
a.please {-moz-background-clip:border;-moz-background-inline-policy:continuous;-moz-background-origin:padding;background:transparent url(http://images.ctv.ca/v2/images/icon/share/comment2.jpg) no-repeat scroll 0 0;font-size:13px !important;font-weight:bold;padding-bottom:11px;padding-left:32px;padding-top:7px;float:left}

dynamic_resize

Police said that in the days following Veraschin's murder, the killer's routines changed and may have seemed out of the ordinary. He may have also had unexplained absences from his usual activites.

There may have also been an increase in alcohol or drug use and may have seemed irritable, agitated or anxious. Police said the person may have also moved from the area and limited his social activities to avoid detection.

Anyone with information is asked to call the Orangeville Police Service tip line at 519-941-2522, ex. 2211.

http://www.torontosun.com/news/canada/2010/12/16/16574051.html

So, if LE thinks the male perp is *possibly* someone moved after the murder, that would narrow the list considerably from the list of possible suspects, if they were working that angle, wouldn't it?

Thanks for all the links to the press conference today Wondergirl. I was unfortunately not able to watch it.

I was also curious about the reference to possible "increased" drug or alcohol use. Do they know that this person might have been a drug or alcohol user? Was there some evidence to indicate this?

Thanks for the info about the profile, WG. I was thinking that the two crimes were connected because of location. However, I think that the perp who assaulted the woman in Mono at the studio would have to have his own car to get there and leave right away. With Sonia, either the perp didn't have a car or lived near enough to her that he didn't require a car to get there and just used her vehicle to dispose of her. I have a feeling this person was a neighbour and moved away. JMO

Thanks for all the links to the press conference today Wondergirl. I was unfortunately not able to watch it.

I was also curious about the reference to possible "increased" drug or alcohol use. Do they know that this person might have been a drug or alcohol user? Was there some evidence to indicate this?

I imagine that drugs or alcohol were a consideration due to the "high risk" and reckless behavior of the perp.The part I am not sure about, is the acting differently in some way after the crime,because if he was "cold-blooded",why would he behave any differently than usual? (ie Russell W)

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/TopStories/20101216/varaschin-murder-probe-police-update-101216/
"I'd say he's a cold-blooded killer," Pritchard said. "He killed somebody who we consider a very low-risk victim and engaged in some very high-risk behaviours."

Pritchard listed those behaviours as entering a home, killing Varaschin, placing the victim's body in her own car, using that car to dispose of the body and then driving back "almost to the scene of the murder, this time with blood clearly visible on the outside of the car to anybody who saw it."

I could be totally wrong, but, the "high risk" and "reckless" assessments by LE, to me, spells YOUNG PERP.

Pritchard listed those behaviours as entering a home, killing Varaschin, placing the victim's body in her own car, using that car to dispose of the body and then driving back "almost to the scene of the murder, this time with blood clearly visible on the outside of the car to anybody who saw it."

I think it was laziness that made him bring the car back to near the murder scene, his car was there and he didn't want to walk or be seen walking in the area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jezel