Case Review #1: Thread #12: LE Press Conference & Sheriff's Interview: July 2 2010

Maybe or maybe not. There would most definitely be a scent of Kyron in and around the school and also from the morning's entrance from where TH parked and they entered the school. I know nothing about bloodhounds/search dogs, so I don't know if they can differentiate between strong (hours old scents) versus milder (days old scents).

But after "noodlin'" (I love that word!), this does corroborate the last presser wherein LE was asking for people to call in who had parked in the south (?) parking lot and wanting people to phone in about the parking situation (or whatever it was that they asked - so much info on this case and my mind is getting rusty).

This leads me to believe there is something about the parking lot that is pretty important to solidly prove. What that thing is, I have no clue. It troubles me greatly that Kaine still drives that truck (if it is his truck). That's something that just does not add up to me for a variety of reasons.

If they used scent dogs, I wonder if they hit on the access road? If so would this be a corroboration of an eye witness?

http://www.kmtr.com/news/local/story/UPDATE-Search-for-missing-Kyron-Horman/BZLh9HfWt0W7V0X7nGLB8A.cspx

"On the search end, efforts continue to find Kyron alive, said Sgt. Diana Olsen of the Multnomah County Sheriff's Office. We know where he's not, so we feel we're getting closer to where he is," she said. She declined to say why searchers were on Sauvie Island, a considerable distance from Skyline School."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My take on this, based on these 2 statements, is that the searching ended up being more of a rule out process. The video requests for the 3rd and 4th were asked for at the previous Saturday's PC, so I don't think they had time by this date to view and process them all. Also, Staton says this:

Jung: "Is it believed that he was taken from the school then, in a vehicle?"

Staton: "I can't comment on that."

So, it seems like after the initial foot/canine/water/helicopter searches, nothing was found to indicate Kyron walked away from the school. Therefore, I guess, that led them to videos of the streets looking for a vehicle or vehicles. ?

Why can't these people just say what they mean? "We know where he's not, so we feel we're closer to where he is"?

In watching the video of this pc, I started getting really mad. Sheriff Staton seemed more concerned initially with his elected position. He spoke several times about how it involves agencies ($), the DA's office ($$), the school board ($$$). When he started answering questions, he would only give explanations if it had financial implications.

IMO, this case would have been best served by Staton stepping away from the mike and the process and getting a non-political detective leading the case and non-political spokesperson working with the press.

I'm getting so depressed about this case, thinking poor Kyron will never come
home and we may never have an answer to what actually happened. Kyron shares a birthday with my late mother, who I miss terribly. It will be a sad, sad day,

Maybe or maybe not. There would most definitely be a scent of Kyron in and around the school and also from the morning's entrance from where TH parked and they entered the school. I know nothing about bloodhounds/search dogs, so I don't know if they can differentiate between strong (hours old scents) versus milder (days old scents).

But after "noodlin'" (I love that word!), this does corroborate the last presser wherein LE was asking for people to call in who had parked in the south (?) parking lot and wanting people to phone in about the parking situation (or whatever it was that they asked - so much info on this case and my mind is getting rusty).

This leads me to believe there is something about the parking lot that is pretty important to solidly prove. What that thing is, I have no clue. It troubles me greatly that Kaine still drives that truck (if it is his truck). That's something that just does not add up to me for a variety of reasons.

Except that Staton specifically says "no". Not "no comment". "No".

Jung: "And was there any sign of Kyron found that he had gone through that way or anything?"

Staton: "No."

Why can't these people just say what they mean? "We know where he's not, so we feel we're closer to where he is"?

In watching the video of this pc, I started getting really mad. Sheriff Staton seemed more concerned initially with his elected position. He spoke several times about how it involves agencies ($), the DA's office ($$), the school board ($$$). When he started answering questions, he would only give explanations if it had financial implications.

IMO, this case would have been best served by Staton stepping away from the mike and the process and getting a non-political detective leading the case and non-political spokesperson working with the press.

I'm getting so depressed about this case, thinking poor Kyron will never come
home and we may never have an answer to what actually happened. Kyron shares a birthday with my late mother, who I miss terribly. It will be a sad, sad day,

Staton definitely strikes me as a political kinda guy.

Except that Staton specifically says "no". Not "no comment". "No".

Jung: "And was there any sign of Kyron found that he had gone through that way or anything?"

IMO, taken in context, he's referring to the outlying search areas around the school. It's a "given" that Kyron left the school somehow, some way.

MILLER: Nancy, they believe that Terri Horman has these answers, and again, based on the 911 calls, based on the husband moving out, based on the fact that, again, they`re not releasing any information. And the parents believe this because they have to. They have that undying love for baby Kyron and they have to believe that he`s coming home. That`s where they get their belief from. And again, they want Terri Horman or whoever has Kyron to let him come home.

GRACE: So Kevin Miller, are you telling me that from your analysis, they want to believe he`s alive, or police have led them to believe he`s alive?

MILLER: I believe that they want to believe that he`s alive, and that`s their hope for continuing on. And they have spoken very highly of the police, so they believe that the police know the answers, Nancy.

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1007/01/ng.01.html

Interesting opinion

GRACE: Back to you, James Pitkins, with the "Willamette Week" newspaper. Certainly reporters were banned from the press conference today. Were you one of them?

PITKINS: I was, Nancy.

GRACE: Why? Why were you banned?

PITKINS: Kaine Horman, Kyron`s father, said that he doesn`t like the coverage that my newspaper has done or the biggest newspaper in the state, "The Oregonian." That`s the major daily here. We were both 86`d from that press conference.

A very bizarre move for a family that`s seeking to get as much attention around down this case the states, around his child, as possible.

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1007/01/ng.01.html

I really would like to know why James stopped writing about Kyron's case.

ETA: Mark Klaas's reaction:

KLAAS: Well, I sort of can put myself in their place.

GRACE: Yes, you can.

KLAAS: And I tell you that we never 86`d any media. I think at a time like this, you can`t just look to the big super stations. You can`t just look to the networks, the cable companies.

You have to remember that sometimes your best ally when everybody else goes away is going to be your hometown newspaper, something like "The Oregonian", which is a powerful force in the state of Oregon.

From the presser video:

- 20 detectives 24/7

- 2800 tips, 60% of tips "covered". What does "covered" mean?

The department said all tips were logged, given priority and assigned to a detective.

Am assuming this is what he meant. Of course we all know what assuming accomplishes.

Thanks for all your hard work, Bean.

Where are you angel?

In other news, Staton confirmed that “there were indications” both Kyron and his stepmom were seen at Skyline Elementary School on June 4, the day Kyron disappeared. Asked about the search of Sauvie Island, Staton simply said it was searched along with other areas of interest.

http://blogs.wweek.com/news/2010/07/02/statistics-on-the-search-for-kyron-horman/

That's strange wording..."indications?"

Staton: "They've gone through those, in some cases, some of those areas were gone through four separate times using multiple techniques, either dogs and searchers, dogs and/or the aircraft, but combinations of two or three sources going through the area."

This is why I was wondering if possibly scent dogs might have picked up Kyron's scent out the back door down the path that leads to the access road, then stops.

Staton: "They've gone through those, in some cases, some of those areas were gone through four separate times using multiple techniques, either dogs and searchers, dogs and/or the aircraft, but combinations of two or three sources going through the area."

This is why I was wondering if possibly scent dogs might have picked up Kyron's scent out the back door down the path that leads to the access road, then stops.

There is a person who puts himself near that door, and who saw children. Just saying.

According to Staton, no.

There is a person who puts himself near that door, and who saw children. Just saying.
This would have what to do with possibly scent dogs picking up Kyrons scent, going out that door, down the path leading to the accesses road?

This would have what to do with possibly scent dogs picking up Kyrons scent, going out that door, down the path leading to the accesses road?

Well, frankly, if Kyron was one of those kids that went out that door, and walked down the path leading to the access road where someone else's truck was said to have been parked.....it has everything to do with it.

According to Staton, no.

But it's confusing, as this being the outlying searches, or at the school, I wish the interviewer would have been more specific. Because right after that Jung asked "It is believed he was taken from the school then a vehicle?" Staton answered, "I can't comment on that."

I think it is important to define "area" in order to interpret what Staton means exactly.

But it's confusing, as this being the outlying searches, or at the school, I wish the interviewer would have been more specific. Because right after that Jung asked "It is believed he was taken from the school then a vehicle?" Staton answered, "I can't comment on that."

It is confusing. I guess there's the possibility of Kyron being taken out of the school inside something that he wouldn't leave a scent. I don't know.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back