Casey & The Anthonys: The Early Years

I could swear that Cindy's brother Rick said that George is not Casey's bio dad? I'll look for the info.

When Rick posted at Topix, I do believe several imposters came on board and one of the imposters might have said that. There was another instance where Rick misspoke and people jumped on that, when he clearly meant that George is the father of Casey and he typed George is the father of Caylee. It was a genuine misspeak I do believe. This is if I recall correctly.

It's interesting to see that a question posed on Topix, asking for input from anyone who went to school with Ms. Casey, has NO responses.
Where are all the seekers of fame and celebrity? I don't get it, unless there is danger to coming forward. Hmmm.

When Rick posted at Topix, I do believe several imposters came on board and one of the imposters might have said that. There was another instance where Rick misspoke and people jumped on that, when he clearly meant that George is the father of Casey and he typed George is the father of Caylee. It was a genuine misspeak I do believe. This is if I recall correctly.
Thank you, I had a difficult time following the info that Rick posted.

Right after Casey was arrested the first time, a former highschool classmate was interviewed by a paper. Does anybody have that link? He might be a good person to query.

George Anthony, Casey Anthony's father, is a former deputy sheriff in Trumbull County, Ohio, who moved his family to Orlando in 1989. Since then, he has held various security-related jobs. For a time, he was a security guard at the Sentinel.

George Anthony filed for dilssolution of marriage (AKA divorce) from Cynthia Anthony on 12/29/05. The order was dismissed on 11/28/2007.

According to Eddy, Casey and her parents, Cindy and George Anthony, originally are from Niles and moved to Orlando in 1989. Eddy's wife, Kathy, is George's sister. Casey's brother, Lee, also lives in Florida.

http://whereiscaylee.com/index.php?topic=6.0

This isn't very early info, and its mostly about George so I don't know if it will work here but it did say they were originally from Niles and I thought it might be helpful in the search.

It's interesting to see that a question posed on Topix, asking for input from anyone who went to school with Ms. Casey, has NO responses.
Where are all the seekers of fame and celebrity? I don't get it, unless there is danger to coming forward. Hmmm.

I certainly wouldn't come forward after seeing the way anyone associated with Casey has had their lives dissected.

It is strange that KC told Lee something like " Mom said I was an unfit mother, maybe I am. This should have been done a long time ago." What should have been done? Calling the police on her for bad behavior?

Perhaps the sheriff is talking about the fact that KC had been stealing from family for a long time. I don't think the stealing just started.

Disclaimer- I am not suggesting this is true of all borderline personality disorders. This is specific to my observations of Cindy and Casey, and implies no justification or sympathy for Casey.

I see a severely borderline mother. A combination of the witch/queen personalities. Cindy is a complete control freak. She will lie to whomever, whenever it suits her. We have heard from friends of Casey that Cindy would berate Casey in front of them. Cindy has horrible boundaries (a major issue in BPD). This can be seen in her telling the cops what is relevant, who they can talk to, and her threats to not cooperate if they don't do as she dictates. Being outside with the protesters to me is another example of her boundary issues. I would bet my life savings that there are all levels of inappropriate behavior on Cindy's part (medication? drinking? shoplifting? all are common with BPD).

Children raised with dysfunctional borderlines don't develop a proper sense of self. Everything gets processed through the Cindy filter. Mother's with multiple children can split the kids into an all good kid and an all bad kid. I think we see some of that with Lee being the Mr. Fix of the family, and Casey living up to her label as well.

I see Casey growing up with a woman who tried to control everything, who had no boundaries with her friends and teachers, and who was a liar and a manipulator. There are different theories on what age we develop a moral code to live by, but Casey was most likely raised in a house were she was told to do one thing and watched behavior being modeled that contradicted everything she was told.

She learned to be a liar and a thief somewhere. BPDs often raise BPDs, whether that is environmental or genetic, or a one two punch, who knows. Casey seems to have gone past that though and be a sociopath.

George strikes me as weak, willing to do whatever to passify Cindy, all to avoid the blow up. He probably never stood up for the kids when Cindy was irrational. Casey wouldn't have learned to trust anyone or feel protected. So the kids are left to develop coping skills that let them grow up (while the parent doesn't want them to because that requires letting go of control), and learning how to put on a public face that says everything is wonderful in the Anthony dynamic.

There is not likely a support system around a family like this. They isolate to keep the dysfunction out of view. The kids don't want to bring friends around because you never know when she is going to be nice or humilate you in front of them. The child probably also has a life that is not known to mom and bringing friends around exposes those types of details.

Living in a dynamic like this is frequently referred to as walking on eggshells.

http://behavioralhealth.typepad.com/markhams_behavioral_healt/borderline_parenting/

"Children of borderlines learn to sacrifice their true selves because survival requires that they meet their mother's emotional needs." p. 155 - 156.

Right after Casey was arrested the first time, a former highschool classmate was interviewed by a paper. Does anybody have that link? He might be a good person to query.

There were a couple.

Friends interviewed by investigators described Casey Anthony as bipolar. One high school classmate said Anthony had talked about putting her baby up for adoption when she was pregnant, but claimed her mother would not let her.

http://www.abcactionnews.com/mostpopular/story.aspx?content_id=4ea0e3d4-287a-4d87-8be3-49a110141671

Or, this one?

Or, this one. He's been interviewed by media a couple times. And he went to school with KC. He's the one KC said introduced her to ZG. He says he did not.

http://daliagirl33.wordpress.com/2008/10/16/nancy-grace-jeff-hopkins/

It is strange that KC told Lee something like " Mom said I was an unfit mother, maybe I am. This should have been done a long time ago." What should have been done? Calling the police on her for bad behavior?

Perhaps the sheriff is talking about the fact that KC had been stealing from family for a long time. I don't think the stealing just started.
I agree. They no doubt had knowledge of Casey's stealing from her GPs' account.

I remember reading that someone who went to high school w/ Casey said she was very introverted and a loner. I think she "came out of her shell" after high school when she hit the party scene.

My brain is being engulfed by a cold, so before I do this, I'd like to ask for opinions.
Do you think a thread about Accountability and Reason, looking at patterns of behavior, stated and perceived observations about the dynamics of this case, would be an interesting and/or helpful way to evaluate and assimilate what happened before Caylee's death, what led to it, what might have prevented it?
Thanks!

Do you really think that needs to be discussed to be figured out, i mean isn't it obvious?!

Disclaimer- I am not suggesting this is true of all borderline personality disorders. This is specific to my observations of Cindy and Casey, and implies no justification or sympathy for Casey.

I see a severely borderline mother. A combination of the witch/queen personalities. Cindy is a complete control freak. She will lie to whomever, whenever it suits her. We have heard from friends of Casey that Cindy would berate Casey in front of them. Cindy has horrible boundaries (a major issue in BPD). This can be seen in her telling the cops what is relevant, who they can talk to, and her threats to not cooperate if they don't do as she dictates. Being outside with the protesters to me is another example of her boundary issues. I would bet my life savings that there are all levels of inappropriate behavior on Cindy's part (medication? drinking? shoplifting? all are common with BPD).

Children raised with dysfunctional borderlines don't develop a proper sense of self. Everything gets processed through the Cindy filter. Mother's with multiple children can split the kids into an all good kid and an all bad kid. I think we see some of that with Lee being the Mr. Fix of the family, and Casey living up to her label as well.

I see Casey growing up with a woman who tried to control everything, who had no boundaries with her friends and teachers, and who was a liar and a manipulator. There are different theories on what age we develop a moral code to live by, but Casey was most likely raised in a house were she was told to do one thing and watched behavior being modeled that contradicted everything she was told.

She learned to be a liar and a thief somewhere. BPDs often raise BPDs, whether that is environmental or genetic, or a one two punch, who knows. Casey seems to have gone past that though and be a sociopath.

George strikes me as weak, willing to do whatever to passify Cindy, all to avoid the blow up. He probably never stood up for the kids when Cindy was irrational. Casey wouldn't have learned to trust anyone or feel protected. So the kids are left to develop coping skills that let them grow up (while the parent doesn't want them to because that requires letting go of control), and learning how to put on a public face that says everything is wonderful in the Anthony dynamic.

There is not likely a support system around a family like this. They isolate to keep the dysfunction out of view. The kids don't want to bring friends around because you never know when she is going to be nice or humilate you in front of them. The child probably also has a life that is not known to mom and bringing friends around exposes those types of details.

Living in a dynamic like this is frequently referred to as walking on eggshells.

http://behavioralhealth.typepad.com/markhams_behavioral_healt/borderline_parenting/

"Children of borderlines learn to sacrifice their true selves because survival requires that they meet their mother's emotional needs." p. 155 - 156.

I'm with ya! yup, yup and yup!

Not that I'd ever go digging, I have no right to but I'd love to learn a bit more about Lee, myself. I suspect his closet isn't empty either.

I remember reading that someone who went to high school w/ Casey said she was very introverted and a loner. I think she "came out of her shell" after high school when she hit the party scene.

As is often the case with people like Casey I suspect it wasn't so much that she was shy, she just didn't have any interest in the people she went to school with. They weren't her "type". Once out of school she was able to surround herself with people of her own choosing.

She learned to be a liar and a thief somewhere. BPDs often raise BPDs, whether that is environmental or genetic, or a one two punch, who knows. Casey seems to have gone past that though and be a sociopath.]
Heavily snipped to make room but read the whole post. It's very insightful!

I think this is a great assessment. She does remind me strongly of a couple of people I know well with BPD.
I also think GA fits with the type of husband many BPD people have: Not very effective, passive in his relationship with his wife, takes a back seat to ther moods, attitudes, etc. You described CA as fitting the profile of a witch and queen. Those are two of the most dangerous types of BPDs. Witch is the worst. Think of Mommy Dearest. Crawford fits the profile of a witch. Witches have been known to kill their kids or horribly abuse them. What I have learned is that people with the disorder can often have elements of all four types, to one degree or another. Waif and hermit are two other types, waifs acting the victim alot and using guilt to get what they want. I see CA as more of a waif and a queen, than a witch. I also think that BPD does not usually fit neat descriptions. For example, while I agree with your assessment, I also think, in line with many BPD mothers, that while CA may have put unrealistic expectations on casey, and also belittled her, never let her know what to expect by acting in an unpredictable manner, she also, at the very same time, treated casey as a princess, by buying her the best of everything, (both Abraham Lincoln's wife and Joan Crawford appeared to do this with their kids, grandkids in Mary Todd Lincoln's case), never admitting to others that her child could do any wrong, hiding her child's faults from others and telling her daughter that she was better than everyone else. So, I sense a childhood of conflicting messages for casey: On the one hand, a controlling, possibly punitive and highly critical mother, who kept casey on edge with a volatile temper and attitude, sometimes very loving and sometimes very angry, casey never knowing what mother she would have that day, and at the same time, a mom who taught her to lie, by lying herself to get casey out of trouble, and who taught casey that others are to blame for what casey does wrong and that casey is better than others. Although these behaviors may seem contradictory, to me they make perfect sense as I have witnessed these behaviors in the BPD's I know. Bottom line, only CA could criticize the child and tell her she's wrong but others were nuts or ultimately to blame if they did so: "Janie is a bad influence. You can't play with her anymore!" I think what CA likely did amounted to emotional abuse more than anything ( and this is all a guess based on CA's behavior throughout this case as well as my own research and personal experience). In the end, however, if casey's personality resulted from her upbringing, which I feel it did, she alone is responsible, IMHO, because as nutty as CA may be, she did not kill the baby. She's just trying to make sure that the picture she wants others to see of a perfect family, is not destroyed.
What I'd like to see now would be more descriptions from extended family and friends as to what the dynamic was in this household when LA and casey were growing up. Hopefully we'll get it.

I certainly wouldn't come forward after seeing the way anyone associated with Casey has had their lives dissected.

No kidding and poor Dante over there in his little thread, some people are so nasty and accusatory toward him!

Seems that what lead to it is likely KC's sociopathy. That's something for which the cause is unknown (prolly heredity AND enviornment, IMHO). And, there is no cure or effective known treatment.

Most sociopaths are male. Only one or two percent are female, that we know of, so far. That percentage is thought to be growing. That means 30,000,000-60,000,000, in the US, that we know of.

Most sociopathic mothers who kill feel that the child is a burden. They either want a specific man who does not want a child, or just want more personal freedom.

KC had wanted to go to Puerto Rico with friends, and had no baby sitter. AL's house was always "on a 24 hour schedule." A child did not fit in, when people were sleeping on the floor.

Then, CA lit into KC for stealing from granddad, and for being irresponsible.

Early 20s is WAY too late to try to teach your kid to be responsible.

I think that's what happened. Sad and simple.

Had KC been allowed to adopt Caylee out, or had CA taken custody, it would likely not have happened. To Caylee, anyway.

But, sociopaths can't really keep relationships going, over the long haul. KC might've got married, had a baby, then got divorced. So, it might have happened anyway, to another child.

My theory is that had KC been allowed to be jailed the FIRST time she offended, she might have chosen to obey the law just out of self-preservation. Most sociopaths do that.

BTW-- I also think she is BPD and/or NPD.

MOO

No kidding and poor Dante over there in his little thread, some people are so nasty and accusatory toward him!
You're kidding! I hope the mods put a stop to that kind of nonsense. We are lucky to get any tiny bit of info from those who know a thing or two about the players in this case and I would think that nastiness and accusations does nothing more than to possibly chase these people away. What a shame!

I think this is a great assessment. She does remind me strongly of a couple of people I know well with BPD.
I also think GA fits with the type of husband many BPD people have: Not very effective, passive in his relationship with his wife, takes a back seat to ther moods, attitudes, etc. You described CA as fitting the profile of a witch and queen. Those are two of the most dangerous types of BPDs. Witch is the worst. Think of Mommy Dearest. Crawford fits the profile of a witch. Witches have been known to kill their kids or horribly abuse them. What I have learned is that people with the disorder can often have elements of all four types, to one degree or another. Waif and hermit are two other types, waifs acting the victim alot and using guilt to get what they want. I see CA as more of a waif and a queen, than a witch. I also think that BPD does not usually fit neat descriptions. For example, while I agree with your assessment, I also think, in line with many BPD mothers, that while CA may have put unrealistic expectations on casey, and also belittled her, never let her know what to expect by acting in an unpredictable manner, she also, at the very same time, treated casey as a princess, by buying her the best of everything, (both Abraham Lincoln's wife and Joan Crawford appeared to do this with their kids, grandkids in Mary Todd Lincoln's case), never admitting to others that her child could do any wrong, hiding her child's faults from others and telling her daughter that she was better than everyone else. So, I sense a childhood of conflicting messages for casey: On the one hand, a controlling, possibly punitive and highly critical mother, who kept casey on edge with a volatile temper and attitude, sometimes very loving and sometimes very angry, casey never knowing what mother she would have that day, and at the same time, a mom who taught her to lie, by lying herself to get casey out of trouble, and who taught casey that others are to blame for what casey does wrong and that casey is better than others. Although these behaviors may seem contradictory, to me they make perfect sense as I have witnessed these behaviors in the BPD's I know. Bottom line, only CA could criticize the child and tell her she's wrong but others were nuts or ultimately to blame if they did so: "Janie is a bad influence. You can't play with her anymore!" I think what CA likely did amounted to emotional abuse more than anything ( and this is all a guess based on CA's behavior throughout this case as well as my own research and personal experience). In the end, however, if casey's personality resulted from her upbringing, which I feel it did, she alone is responsible, IMHO, because as nutty as CA may be, she did not kill the baby. She's just trying to make sure that the picture she wants others to see of a perfect family, is not destroyed.
What I'd like to see now would be more descriptions from extended family and friends as to what the dynamic was in this household when LA and casey were growing up. Hopefully we'll get it.

You seem to get her the way I do. I was raised by a "Cindy".

She learned to be a liar and a thief somewhere. BPDs often raise BPDs, whether that is environmental or genetic, or a one two punch, who knows. Casey seems to have gone past that though and be a sociopath.]

Well, Uncle Rick posted one, awhile back. He said the family split over CA's enabling of KC.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back