Caylee's Medical Records

Status
Not open for further replies.
my nephew is profoundly deaf, and what you see with caylee imho is called dysarthria- which is difficulty in articulating words. This is caused by impairment of the muscles used in speech. She really struggles when she sings the word sunshine. Dysarthria is one of the side effects of Xanax.

She wasn't yet 3 and I found her articulate and I was able to make out most everything she said. That she spoke in full sentences at that young age was a marvel to me. She looked like she had a fine grasp of the English language and was learning to form the words in conjunction with others.

When she sings "you are my sunshine", she says the words quite well.

my nephew is profoundly deaf, and what you see with caylee imho is called dysarthria- which is difficulty in articulating words. This is caused by impairment of the muscles used in speech. She really struggles when she sings the word sunshine. Dysarthria is one of the side effects of Xanax.

She articulates the word "sunshine" as "shunshine". This is the way my children pronounced it at her age as well as several of my 6 grandchildren. I don't think it's unusual and I have no difficulty in understanding Caylee when singing her song (which breaks my heart everytime I hear it). Although your point is perfectly valid and I hope the Xanax is not the cause, I just wanted to express my opinion on it since she was only 2 years and 10 months old at the time we saw her singing and that all children are do develop their speech patterns at different rates.

I teach in an elementary school, so I hear children talk all day long. I also have three kids of my own. I think Caylee spoke fine. I wouldn't think she had any problem with speech. All children develop at their own pace.

Reality is that Casey is the one they would have to ask for Caylee's medical records. If she did not turn them over, they could subpoena them, which I am guessing they did.

It could be that they simply asked both Cindy and Casey for the name of Caylee's doctor and they both hemmed and hawed around about it.

However, Casey is still Caylee's mother and it would be from her that LE would attempt to obtain Caylee's medical records. If they were not forthcoming, they would be obtained by subpoena.

A lot of group health plans let you cover your child up until age 25, as long as they're not married. So it's very possible Casey was covered under Cindy's health plan. But probably not Caylee, since grandchildren are usually excluded. Of course there are sometimes exceptions to this.
she would have to be a full time college student to be covered on the plan and the insurer regularly requests proof. to cover a grand child you would have to be a legal guardian and provide proof via court documents. cindy does not have the authority to release caylees medical records only her parent can release medical records and they would probably go directly to the dr as he/she would have detailed notes the insurance company only has claims information but could also show if she visited multiple physicians if they file a claim.

I work for the state and we just got a letter stating that our medical insurance now covers dependent children to age 25 yrs, whether they're students or not. Used to be to 19 yrs, 24 if they were students.

The problem is that Cindy did not voluntarily turn them over. Why not? What are they hiding in the medical record? Perhaps there is some disorder listed there either about Cindy or Casey or some other member of the family that they did not wish to be discovered by LE. The point is, why did they hold this card instead of showing it to LE? Is the medical record going to show SOMETHING that they do not wish to be shown? And isn't it difficult to get these records, as they are protected by doctor/patient confidentiality aren't they? LE cannot supoena an attoneys records, so how could they supoena the medical record? I just find it hinky that they had a problem with handing it over...:waitasec:

I don't believe anyone but Casey (the mother) could turn these over. The only way Cindy could turn them over would be if she was Caylee's legal guardian.

It's possible that Cindy could cover Caylee on her group health insurance. This is allowed on many group plans if the grandchild lives in the same household as the grandparent, AND the grandparent claims the child as a dependent. Of course, this would conflict with Cindy's supposed belief that Casey was employed fulltime at Universal.

I don't believe anyone but Casey (the mother) could turn these over. The only way Cindy could turn them over would be if she was Caylee's legal guardian.

I believe this is correct as well.

The problem is that Cindy did not voluntarily turn them over. Why not? What are they hiding in the medical record? Perhaps there is some disorder listed there either about Cindy or Casey or some other member of the family that they did not wish to be discovered by LE. The point is, why did they hold this card instead of showing it to LE? Is the medical record going to show SOMETHING that they do not wish to be shown? And isn't it difficult to get these records, as they are protected by doctor/patient confidentiality aren't they? LE cannot supoena an attoneys records, so how could they supoena the medical record? I just find it hinky that they had a problem with handing it over...:waitasec:

Hippa is different than privileged information. It protects the patient EXCEPT under court order.

It's possible that Cindy could cover Caylee on her group health insurance. This is allowed on many group plans if the grandchild lives in the same household as the grandparent, AND the grandparent claims the child as a dependent. Of course, this would conflict with Cindy's supposed belief that Casey was employed fulltime at Universal.

That's a good point! I would love to know who claimed Caylee on their taxes. Since KC didn't have a job, she would not have a W-2 to file. I wonder if GA & CA have been claiming her on their taxes? This would certainly show that they were aware of KC's lack of employment, since they certainly wouldn't deprive her of the tax deduction!

IMO, CA a nurse would probably do all treatment to Caylee. Except for baby immunization shots. Hippa law would not let anything public for now????

First time poster... long time lurker.

I am a nurse, so I thought I could provide some insight here. When my daughter (six year old) is sick, I still bring her to the pediatrician. Especially when they are that young, its important to see the MD for developmental assessments and such. CA wouldn't be providing that type of medical treatment.

As far as HIPPA, nobody but Casey could have those records released without a court order, and even then its tough. In order to see your own medical record, you have to provide a request in writing for a copy to be made for you. It isn't an instant thing.

That's a good point! I would love to know who claimed Caylee on their taxes. Since KC didn't have a job, she would not have a W-2 to file. I wonder if GA & CA have been claiming her on their taxes? This would certainly show that they were aware of KC's lack of employment, since they certainly wouldn't deprive her of the tax deduction!

This is very interesting point to me as well. This will surely be brought up in the trial....right? I am still wondering how they DIDN"T know that Casey was unemployed for 2 years. No one is smart enough to live with their parents and pull that off. The parents would have to WANT to stick their head in the sand and NOT KNOW what is going on with their offspring. What responsible parent could actually do that? FOR TWO YEARS????for crying out loud. I have family that are so dysfunctional that I want to scream at them but I hope they aren't on this level of denial.

Is it possible Caylee tested positive for some type of genetic 'condition' (nothing serious) and the doctors needed the father's identity for that reason?

Didn't the family agree on who Caylee's father is/was... even though Cindy says she forgot his last name.... and they all claim he died in a car accident?

Even though, Cindy cannot legally give permission to have Caylee's medical records released, it seems she could have simply give the doctor's name & offered to do everything she could to unseal the records.

Heck, a normal family would have broken into the doctor's office & STOLEN the files if that would have helped find the baby. (I'm exaggerating, but you catch my drift)

If she tested positive for some genetic condition they would not *need* the father's identity. They would treat her like any other patient.

I think she didn't turn them over because it would be up to Casey to do it. Also, even if she could've, I don't think she would've, because it would've made it easier for LE. I think her MO is to make it as difficult as possible to prove Caylee is gone.

Maybe Caylee had some injuries consistent with abuse in her records?? I can see them definitely not wanting that to get out.

P2549- DCF report: 1)inadequate supervision- VERIFIED.2)physical injury: no indicator. 3) maltreatment, threatened harm: VERIFIED
2551- establised family has no prior criminal or DCF historyfrom ohio.

I think this is as close as we'll get to knowing until trial.
But, as the OP says there would be other very interesting bits of info on caylees med recs.

Like how mom was coping with routine, feeding, sleep etc.
Also even if caylee was rarely sick (probably because she didnt play with many other kids) there would be notes from her check-ups and shots.
The doc may also have noted their interaction during consultations.
The fact is, that KC probably lied through her teeth to the doc as well, and could have played the loving, doting mommy for the time that they were there. Lets hope he/she picked up on subtle signs and noted them.

I'm gonna check and see if he's on the witness list.

First time poster... long time lurker.

I am a nurse, so I thought I could provide some insight here. When my daughter (six year old) is sick, I still bring her to the pediatrician. Especially when they are that young, its important to see the MD for developmental assessments and such. CA wouldn't be providing that type of medical treatment.

As far as HIPPA, nobody but Casey could have those records released without a court order, and even then its tough. In order to see your own medical record, you have to provide a request in writing for a copy to be made for you. It isn't an instant thing.

Welcome superllama :)(great name btw)

Glad you decided to come out of lurk mode. You made some great points.
LOL- dont even get me started on the hoops they make you jump through to get records that you have a legal right to.....ARRRGGGGGHHH!
Tough is an understatement.;)

My daughter's birthday is today. She is 3. Just as Caylee would have been. Sometimes she says things very clearly, other times it's mumbo jumbo. My son didn't speak clearly until he was almost in kindergarten, and my other daughter spoke clear as a bell from the time she started saying words and sentences. Every child is different, and develops at thier own pace. When I watch the Caylee video of her visit with her great grandfather, she speaks very much like my little one does. MOO.

:balloons: happy birthday to your little princess:balloons:

-Eta- OMG! Just as I went to hit the submit button, I heard my 4yr old, Jaz, start crying and calling for me. Turns out that emily, my 3 yr old hit her over the head with a plastic teacup! And split it open.:eek:A teacup!

My poor little 'baby' now has a bandage wrapped around her head. (Thankfully it wont need sutures- the bandage isnt necessary, but makes her feel alot better;)).
And now she wants to learn about how skin heals itself like magic. So we are off to ask mr google (now that my heart-rate is back to normal, and she has her bandage secured). She loves google as much as I do .LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Linnymac68$