Cesar Laurean Proclaims His Love For Maria Lauterbach

Truly, I know some Spanish, and I grew up in Southern California and have been inside Mexico several times in my life and one of my best friends is Mexican. The reason I say this, is because the phrase "yo quiero" existed long before the Taco Bell commercials with the chihuahua. I brought it up because Seriously Searching mentioned that she did not know how to translate the Spanish articles, so I told her what the phrase was so she could identify it if she saw it in the articles.

Lina, I'm just trying to figure out why this thread is named " Cesar Laurean Proclaims His Love For Maria Lauterbach".

To begin with, I've searched the Mexican news sources and I can't find any source stating Cesar said "Yo quiero".

As some have previously explained before, "yo quiero" means "I want". He could have used the words to ask for anything. I want an attorney. I want water. I want.....don't we all want all the time? I just don't see how anyone would think this means "I love Maria".

Yes, "yo quiero" can also mean you love somebody, but it would have been followed by a name, for example "yo quiero a Maria". Most people DO say "yo quiero" (I love) rather than "yo amo" (I love). I'm not going to get into spanish lessons now, I just "quiero" find out why this thread is named as it is and if possible, you "quiero" help in finding the source of the statement.

Lina, I'm just trying to figure out why this thread is named " Cesar Laurean Proclaims His Love For Maria Lauterbach".

To begin with, I've searched the Mexican news sources and I can't find any source stating Cesar said "Yo quiero".

As some have previously explained before, "yo quiero" means "I want". He could have used the words to ask for anything. I want an attorney. I want water. I want.....don't we all want all the time? I just don't see how anyone would think this means "I love Maria".

Yes, "yo quiero" can also mean you love somebody, but it would have been followed by a name, for example "yo quiero a Maria". Most people DO say "yo quiero" (I love) rather than "yo amo" (I love). I'm not going to get into spanish lessons now, I just "quiero" find out why this thread is named as it is and if possible, you "quiero" help in finding the source of the statement.

Here's a source not in Spanish.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/04/10/missing.marine/index.html

"I loved her," Laurean told a Mexican reporter who asked whether he killed Lance Cpl. Maria Lauterbach.

It has been posted more than once in this forum.

When you are telling a person directly, don't you say, "Te Amo"?

LinasK, not necessarily. Te quiero, te quiero mucho, te amo, are pretty much interchangeable.

LinasK, not necessarily. Te quiero, te quiero mucho, te amo, are pretty much interchangeable.

Mohabi,
The discussion about how to say "I loved her" in Spanish did not come about because someone saw a quote from Laurean claiming he said "Yo quiero." CNN reported that Laurean said, "I loved her," to a Mexican reporter. (See link just a couple of posts before this.) People were just speculating about what he may have actually said in Spanish.

Thanks, Steadfast. I did see that reference on CNN but I'm looking for a Mexican source, i.e. "the Mexican reporter" claiming Cesar stated to him that he loved Maria. Maybe it's a "he said/she said" thing.....

Okay here is the link to Google Spanish (Mexican) version News:
http://news.google.com/news?ned=es_mx&hl=es&ned=es_mx&ie=UTF-8

I also can't find any references to him saying he loved her, so we'd better question CNN! The Mexican newpapers appear to be focusing on other aspects of the case.
I did find out his full name is Cesar Armando Laurean Ramirez.

The only new thing I've learned in the Mexican papers is that he has been transported to a jail in Mexico City, to await extradition to the US.

LOL I can't believe this turned into a Spanish lesson, but OK. Thanks for trying anyway, Linask and Mohabi. :)

It is my understanding that reporters from the Associated Press were present when the statement was made so I would not consider it second hand information. If the Mexican press did not choose to mention it, it doesn't surprise me. This is a country that helped hide him for 3 months, is saving him from the DP, and I don't trust their press to be impartial to one of their own. However, while it did come from CNN's site...the report came straight from AP.

I believe he said it and I think the statement represents a very strange turn in this case. So I am not going to change the title of this thread. :)

LOL I can't believe this turned into a Spanish lesson, but OK. Thanks for trying anyway, Linask and Mohabi. :)

It is my understanding that reporters from the Associated Press were present when the statement was made so I would not consider it second hand information. If the Mexican press did not choose to mention it, it doesn't surprise me. This is a country that helped hide him for 3 months, is saving him from the DP, and I don't trust their press to be impartial to one of their own. However, while it did come from CNN's site...the report came straight from AP.

I believe he said it and I think the statement represents a very strange turn in this case. So I am not going to change the title of this thread. :)

From what I could gather from the articles in Spanish, it appears that Mexico is focusing on making the government look good by having taken him in. They kept mentioning a minister of justice...[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"Felicito a la Procuraduría General de Justicia de Michoacán (PGJE)".[/FONT]

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fesmike
Back