CO- Dylan Redwine, 13, Vallecito, 19 November 2012 - #51

Status
Not open for further replies.
there are numerous theories as to what happened
Mark could have told him he would take D to his friends and they fought on the way

I just do not think this happened at home

I agree there doesn't have to be a pool of blood. I just said that would help me get on board.

I personally believe that the lack of signs of a crime in MR's house or vehicles point to Dylan walking out of that house under his own power.

I think he walked out also that sunday night and MR picked him up.

Yes, and with such poor cell coverage at MRs house, it stands to reason-at least in my mind- that an almost 14 year old boy would have known how to call friends and especially his own father's cell number from a landline.

The news lady didn't have any trouble getting a phone call from MRs house on that interview her cell phone rang!

You want a link to the lack of evidence? It's pretty apparent. And in Ayla's case, the blood evidence (in various descriptions of amount) was in the media. Not so in this case. Seems reasonable to think that there is none.

No, I wanted a link to the fact that was stated in your original post in regards to evidence: "but there is none." It was stated as fact but, in fact, is an assumption. One I am unwilling to make. It might also seem reasonable to believe that something happened to Dylan shortly after 9:37 Sunday night based on the lack of phone activity thereafter but many are unwilling to make that assumption as well. Guess its come down to pick your own convenient assumption and run with it.

The news lady didn't have any trouble getting a phone call from MRs house on that interview her cell phone rang!

FWIW I don't think this necessarily means much. I've been places where my phone worked and no one else's around me did, and vice versa, sometimes even when we have the same carrier. I can think of at least two times in the past year when I was around people who had not only the same carrier but the same phones through a "family plan" thing and only one of the phones had reception.

That said between having at least spotty cell reception, WiFi, and a landline, it does seem very odd to me that his contact completely stopped on Sunday night. He did have quite a few options.

Well, I have now read just about every newspaper article published about this case! I concentrated on reading the articles published in newspapers in Colorado - as opposed to truncated reprints in out of town papers. The local articles are usually the longest and give the most details. But of course I know that sometimes published details can be inaccurate.

I also watched the two days of the Dr. Phil show on youtube.

Mark certainly is a convoluted man. He does seem to be extremely shut down emotionally, as Dr. Phil pointed out to him. But obviously he was very upset about the son saying "I hate you".

At first he SEEMED like he was willing to take the polygraph, but certainly reluctantly. His emotional distress was clearly evident during Session #1 with the polygrapher (the same day as Day2 of the Dr. Phil show). Having read the website of the examiner and what his Q&A section says about preparing to take the test, it would NOT have been a good situation to test MR that day. And it seemed the polygrapher agreed with that.

I think MR may have talked to his attorney that evening and was instructed not to take the test. Attorney could have even told him it was okay to drink some alcohol and make that be the excuse for not taking the test the next morning? In any case, I think he had already made up his mind that he was NOT going to take that test. Yet he showed up as scheduled at 8:00am and began the pre-qualifying questions for the test.

I have already stated my negative view of polygraph tests. Reading the Q&As on the polygrapher's website convinced me that things have gotten better over the years, with the institution of standards and certifications for being a polygrapher. BUT the test IS based on reactions of the autonomic nervous system. And once you study how that particular body system works and how and why it reacts, the more you realize how an honest person could fail one of these tests.

It is my understanding that both EHR and MR took a polygraph at the beginning of all this. If guilty of something, he surely would not want to be taking a second test. If innocent of anything but the first test came back as either "failed" or "inconclusive" he would surely be wary of taking a second test. (The Dr. Phil polygrapher lists an 87-95% rate of accurate detection. I wonder how anyone came up with that statistic? I will have to read more to find out, I guess.) In any case, the figure is not 100%. If not 100%, why not? Because in some people their epinephrine production is erratic. Like in people who suffer from panic attacks - and others.

There is a tremendous amount of information available in the medical community about epinephrine and the problems cause by excessive and/or erratic production of the hormone by the body. And this is the very body hormone that the polygraph is based upon.

Bottom line on this issue: We can't say MR refused a polygraph, because he did voluntarily take the first one. What he refused was a second polygraph. At a time when he was under a huge amount of stress. Which definitely will skew the results of this type of test. Stress produces epinephrine in the body, which then alters the blood pressure, breathing rate, and heartbeat. The very things the test is based upon.

I do have a few other questions:
1.) Has it been determined there was in fact a landline in the father's house that Dylan could have used that morning to call his friend?

2.) Has poor/sporadic/non-existent cell phone service at father's house been determined?

3.) Has it been verified that father's house had continuous/steady/reliable wifi service? (Mine is sporadic at my house. Either a router problem or whatever, but I need to "reset" my router about 3-4 times weekly. What a pain!)

4.) In early articles, Dylan's friends confirmed that they had hitchhiked in this area in the past. Now whether a mother wants to believe it or not, and whether she talked to Dylan about this or not, I think there is the likelihood he would do it again.

Some other things:
An article written about 10 days after Dylan's disappearance described MR sitting on the sofa where Dylan was sleeping and "tangled blankets" still being present on the sofa. So dad was no housekeeper. Same article described some of Dylan's clothing being left behind at father's house. Yet later articles describe "nothing left behind"?

Two photos of Dylan, one at airport, one at Walmart. Airport photo = no backpack seen. Walmart photo = backpack. Could these photos be mixed up. Would expect to see backpack at airport. Would not expect to see backpack at Walmart.

Time line for "grocery shopping for week at Walmat": Seemed like a short time for grocery shopping, plus choosing a movie, going through checkout, etc. to be home by last text at 9:37pm. Maybe I am confused about this.

Why in God's name would a 14year old be telling his friend he would arrive at his house (grandmother's house, actually) at 6:30am the next morning? Anyone ever asked MR about this? MR says he tried to wake Dylan several times that morning. MR says he didn't leave house until around 7:30am. But Dylan's friend texted him at 6:45am asking where he was. Dad was home at the time. Did he hear Dylan's cellphone ring or beep between 6:45-7:30am?

Did anyone ever ask MR if he saw cellphone or Ipod device plugged in the night before? How about the next morning?

Sounds like both mom and dad have history of alcohol abuse and explosive tempers. Plus, I am amazed at the level of acrimony between the two so many years after the divorce. Especially when both have moved on to other love interests. However, I do know a woman who has not "moved on" from acrimony and bitterness despite 30+years having passed, another long-term marriage, etc. I guess some people get "stuck" in a certain emotion.

While I feel sorry for Elaine as the obviously tortured mother of a child who has disappeared, I feel she has deep, deep problems and is doing an awful lot of projecting of anger onto her former husband. And has been for a long time. Many of us have been through divorce. Some of them much worse than this one was. None of us, thankfully, have a missing child. But I really do think she needs to step back a bit.

I still don't see enough of anything to think that either of these parents had anything to do with the disappearance of Dylan.

Something I had not considered before: Accident

I do not know the terrain of the area. Any sinkholes around there? Any old caves/caverns? Any old mines? MR mentioned some "rocks" near his house where Dylan liked to go. Any chasms or deep crevices there?

We have all read strange stories of people being found in strange places. I can think of a teenager and his truck who were found in a lake that everybody passed by daily while he was missing. Another was a doctor who fell down the flue of her boyfriend's house and was not found for about a week. A third was a woman who was dead behind a bookcase in her home for several weeks.

Could this child have met with some accidental fate from which he will never be found? There is water nearby, a river and a lake? Ray Gricar's body has never yet been found here in Pennsylvania.

What if these are just very embittered, angry, semi-alcoholic parents who are both totally innocent?

Does this mean I am "on the fence"?

Always Shocked,

Interesting points, and thank you for the insight. I am not sure I am totally onboard however. I do not think that Elaine is having problems with alcohol. She has a very high profile, responsible job at a top University. There have been no reports of any alcohol problems AFAIK. I think that is an old report from their divorce accusations, from yrs ago.

Elaine had TOTALLY and completely moved on from her past marriage. She moved to a new town, was about to be married, had a newly remodeled home and a great new job. She was close to her extended family and was raising her two sons. She had very little contact with Mark, and harbored no unresolved bitterness, imo. She was happy to move on
and had greatly improved her life.

So I do not think she is bitter. I think her acrimony is based upon the fact that her child is missing, and her ex refused to speak to her about it, and would only send cryptic texts, while refusing to answer her calls about the disappearance. I don't see that as bitterness, I see it as anger, and rightfully so, imo.

And to answer about the landline, yes, there was one working in the home. And he had working wifi and a computer that he said Dylan used quite often. The cell service seemed to work, as Mark talked about texting Dylan all afternoon and waiting for a reply. I can't imagine he would do so if he had no working service.

As to the hitchhiking, here is my problem with that scenario: Dylan was told by Mark, apparently, that he would be back at 11 to give him a ride to town. I am assuming that Dylan slept in a bit, if he was 'out like a light' as MR described. So if he woke up at 8 or 9, ate breakfast and watched some TV, it would be almost time for his ride to return. Why go hitchhike 25 miles in the cold, when you have a ride, right to your friends door, coming very soon?

And IF he was going to hitch, why not reply to your friends text, and tell them you are coming, AND ASK WHERE THEY ARE GOING TO BE? His friend had texted him to say he as leaving his grama's house, and going to another place. Why would D suddenly run out of the cabin and try to hitch a ride, without contacting anyone?

The previous discussion about hitchin was when he was with a group of friends in a snowstorm, and he stuck out his thumb so they could ALL catch a ride. So I don't know anything about him going out alone and thumbing a ride, especially when he does not need to. I just don't get that he was in that big of a hurry that he wouldn't wait another hour for a sure ride.

And that article you discussed, about him showing the blankets the boy slept on, and the clothing he left behind? A bit of controversy and confusion surrounds that claim.

As for the 6;30 am play date, that is because Dylan originally wanted to go to his friends on Sunday night. MR said it was too late, he could go the next day. But Mark had an appt. and had to leave by 7:30, so the only way that D could go before Dad left was IF he went with him at 6:30; lots of confusion about that scenario too. Did you read Dylan's texts from Sunday? He was very adamant and enthusiastic about wanting to go to his friends at 6:30 am.

Also, about the possibility of D being in an accident:

Dylan was waiting impatiently for his ride to Bayfield to see the friends he missed seeing since he had recently moved. I don't see why he would go out alone in the rocks, WITH ALL OF HIS THINGS IN HIS BACKPACK when his ride was coming back soon. He and his friends were planning to do lots of exploring, playing and climbing around, 'm sure. So I don't believe that Dylan went out rock climbing or exploring the woods all alone that morning. His friend had been texting and asking where he was. Why would he ignore him, and go off alone? If you read his texts from Sunday, he was really excited to get together with them. Dylan was not a loner type kid that liked to go off solo and all that. He was wanting to get together with his friends, JMO

katydid: You make good points. What do you think really happened and when? Could you please "paint your scenario"? Why? When? Disposal of body where? Disposal of body when?

Other than search warrants for house has there been a complete forensic exam of the house? Since police had his vehicles for a time, I would assume they examined them, had cadaver dogs go over them, etc. They may not have released such info to the public, but they surely did the basics at least on the vehicles.

My mind is open.

http://www.durangoherald.com/article/20121215/NEWS01/121219687

Looked up R's texts with Dylan again for a different reason and realized R never answered Dylan's question about whether the grandmother would care if Dylan showed at 6:30.

Dylan: will you gma care or be up

Ryan: Just come around to were the sliding door is were that room is and knock on it and i will wake up

The reason I looked up the texts was because I wanted to see what time the Monday text telling Dylan where they were going to be was.

Ryan: (Time: 10 a.m. Nov. 19) Come to nandos.

Perhaps the 10am text spurred Dylan to action and made him think he needed to get there sooner? Just thinking out loud. Again, no data to support this. IMO.

http://www.durangoherald.com/article/20121215/NEWS01/121219687

Looked up R's texts with Dylan again for a different reason and realized R never answered Dylan's question about whether the grandmother would care if Dylan showed at 6:30.

The reason I looked up the texts was because I wanted to see what time the Monday text telling Dylan where they were going to be was.

Perhaps the 10am text spurred Dylan to action and made him think he needed to get there sooner? Just thinking out loud. Again, no data to support this. IMO.

If he saw that text at 10 am, and was worried he was late, wouldnt he reply to them and say his ride was coming at 11? If it was already 10, then why would he think that hiking out to the main road and trying to get a ride would be any quicker than waiting for a certain sure thing ride, right to the door, from his dad? Hitching is hit and miss. you wait awhile and get partial rides to places. It is really a last resort thing. JMO

katydid: You make good points. What do you think really happened and when? Could you please "paint your scenario"? Why? When? Disposal of body where? Disposal of body when?

Other than search warrants for house has there been a complete forensic exam of the house? Since police had his vehicles for a time, I would assume they examined them, had cadaver dogs go over them, etc. They may not have released such info to the public, but they surely did the basics at least on the vehicles.

My mind is open.

Not katydid, so I will not speak for her, but she is an excellent reference for this terrible and convoluted missing child case. Answers to questions have not been forthcoming by Mark Redwine since day 1. You have asked questions that others have asked including Elaine, the family, Websleuthers, and the general public. And they are good questions that might assist in locating Dylan or at least fill in many missing pieces. However, the one person who could have helped and assisted others to help has been the biggest obstacle in getting these questions answered.IMO. He has appeared to hide from the media and his family and that makes it more difficult to conclude anything but the worst. On top of that, LE has not released much information to the public whether about forensic evidence collected or even if the public should be on guard for the sake of their children's safety in the area. But we know LE has many involved (La Plata Sheriff, CBI, FBI) and have done numerous searches along with incredible community searches.

Anyway, I've attached MR interviews in chronological order of which there are few and very far between. You said you watched Dr. Phil and already listened to Tricia's interview so I haven't included those. Other than that, there are just blurbs, here and there on msm and Facebook. Answers to questions have been elusive and convoluted by the father who last saw him. And who better to ask! He hasn't come out much to help without excuses and blame. Again JMO.

Missing teen Dylan Redwine’s father says he had nothing to do with disappearances 11/27/12
http://kdvr.com/2012/11/27/missing-teens-father-discusses-exhaustive-search/

With Dylan Redwine missing for almost two weeks, dad clings to hope 12/02/12
http://www.canoncitydailyrecord.com/ci_22110078/dad-its-wait-wonder

Uncut: Mark Redwine talks about son's disappearance 12/04/12
http://www.koat.com/news/new-mexico...nce/-/9153728/17616906/-/129kycz/-/index.html

Protest calls on Redwine 1/26/2013
Some say missing boy’s father should be more active
http://www.durangoherald.com/article/20130126/NEWS01/130129704/0/NEWS01

KUSA - Dylan Redwine - Dad's uncut interview 2/5/2013
[video=youtube;fGEwCBPy90w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGEwCBPy90w[/video]

Well, I have now read just about every newspaper article published about this case! I concentrated on reading the articles published in newspapers in Colorado - as opposed to truncated reprints in out of town papers. The local articles are usually the longest and give the most details. But of course I know that sometimes published details can be inaccurate.

Mark certainly is a convoluted man. He does seem to be extremely shut down emotionally, as Dr. Phil pointed out to him. But obviously he was very upset about the son saying "I hate you".

At first he SEEMED like he was willing to take the polygraph, but certainly reluctantly. His emotional distress was clearly evident during Session #1 with the polygrapher (the same day as Day2 of the Dr. Phil show). Having read the website of the examiner and what his Q&A section says about preparing to take the test, it would NOT have been a good situation to test MR that day. And it seemed the polygrapher agreed with that.

I think MR may have talked to his attorney that evening and was instructed not to take the test. Attorney could have even told him it was okay to drink some alcohol and make that be the excuse for not taking the test the next morning? In any case, I think he had already made up his mind that he was NOT going to take that test. Yet he showed up as scheduled at 8:00am and began the pre-qualifying questions for the test.

I have already stated my negative view of polygraph tests. Reading the Q&As on the polygrapher's website convinced me that things have gotten better over the years, with the institution of standards and certifications for being a polygrapher. BUT the test IS based on reactions of the autonomic nervous system. And once you study how that particular body system works and how and why it reacts, the more you realize how an honest person could fail one of these tests.

It is my understanding that both EHR and MR took a polygraph at the beginning of all this. If guilty of something, he surely would not want to be taking a second test. If innocent of anything but the first test came back as either "failed" or "inconclusive" he would surely be wary of taking a second test. (The Dr. Phil polygrapher lists an 87-95% rate of accurate detection. I wonder how anyone came up with that statistic? I will have to read more to find out, I guess.) In any case, the figure is not 100%. If not 100%, why not? Because in some people their epinephrine production is erratic. Like in people who suffer from panic attacks - and others.

There is a tremendous amount of information available in the medical community about epinephrine and the problems cause by excessive and/or erratic production of the hormone by the body. And this is the very body hormone that the polygraph is based upon.

Bottom line on this issue: We can't say MR refused a polygraph, because he did voluntarily take the first one. What he refused was a second polygraph. At a time when he was under a huge amount of stress. Which definitely will skew the results of this type of test. Stress produces epinephrine in the body, which then alters the blood pressure, breathing rate, and heartbeat. The very things the test is based upon.

I do have a few other questions:
1.) Has it been determined there was in fact a landline in the father's house that Dylan could have used that morning to call his friend?

2.) Has poor/sporadic/non-existent cell phone service at father's house been determined?

3.) Has it been verified that father's house had continuous/steady/reliable wifi service? (Mine is sporadic at my house. Either a router problem or whatever, but I need to "reset" my router about 3-4 times weekly. What a pain!)

4.) In early articles, Dylan's friends confirmed that they had hitchhiked in this area in the past. Now whether a mother wants to believe it or not, and whether she talked to Dylan about this or not, I think there is the likelihood he would do it again.

Some other things:
An article written about 10 days after Dylan's disappearance described MR sitting on the sofa where Dylan was sleeping and "tangled blankets" still being present on the sofa. So dad was no housekeeper. Same article described some of Dylan's clothing being left behind at father's house. Yet later articles describe "nothing left behind"?

Two photos of Dylan, one at airport, one at Walmart. Airport photo = no backpack seen. Walmart photo = backpack. Could these photos be mixed up. Would expect to see backpack at airport. Would not expect to see backpack at Walmart.

Time line for "grocery shopping for week at Walmat": Seemed like a short time for grocery shopping, plus choosing a movie, going through checkout, etc. to be home by last text at 9:37pm. Maybe I am confused about this.

Why in God's name would a 14year old be telling his friend he would arrive at his house (grandmother's house, actually) at 6:30am the next morning? Anyone ever asked MR about this? MR says he tried to wake Dylan several times that morning. MR says he didn't leave house until around 7:30am. But Dylan's friend texted him at 6:45am asking where he was. Dad was home at the time. Did he hear Dylan's cellphone ring or beep between 6:45-7:30am?

Did anyone ever ask MR if he saw cellphone or Ipod device plugged in the night before? How about the next morning?

Sounds like both mom and dad have history of alcohol abuse and explosive tempers. Plus, I am amazed at the level of acrimony between the two so many years after the divorce. Especially when both have moved on to other love interests. However, I do know a woman who has not "moved on" from acrimony and bitterness despite 30+years having passed, another long-term marriage, etc. I guess some people get "stuck" in a certain emotion.

While I feel sorry for Elaine as the obviously tortured mother of a child who has disappeared, I feel she has deep, deep problems and is doing an awful lot of projecting of anger onto her former husband. And has been for a long time. Many of us have been through divorce. Some of them much worse than this one was. None of us, thankfully, have a missing child. But I really do think she needs to step back a bit.

I still don't see enough of anything to think that either of these parents had anything to do with the disappearance of Dylan.

Something I had not considered before: Accident

I do not know the terrain of the area. Any sinkholes around there? Any old caves/caverns? Any old mines? MR mentioned some "rocks" near his house where Dylan liked to go. Any chasms or deep crevices there?

We have all read strange stories of people being found in strange places. I can think of a teenager and his truck who were found in a lake that everybody passed by daily while he was missing. Another was a doctor who fell down the flue of her boyfriend's house and was not found for about a week. A third was a woman who was dead behind a bookcase in her home for several weeks.

Could this child have met with some accidental fate from which he will never be found? There is water nearby, a river and a lake? Ray Gricar's body has never yet been found here in Pennsylvania.

What if these are just very embittered, angry, semi-alcoholic parents who are both totally innocent?

Does this mean I am "on the fence"?

I read this earlier and have waited patiently to get home to respond to it. Some of the stuff you say makes me think, "is this poster in my head?" Your edit reason on this post made me think of something else though. I said yesterday neither of them are my cup of tea, but there is a point where I have to give MR props. He said on the radio show, something like, "Dylan has two messed up parents." Something along those lines. It reminded me of this saying I once heard, about how crazy people don't know they are crazy or messed up, but sane people do. In my mind, there has to be some level of crazy to harm your child, and I just don't see that level of crazy radiating from him. Even sociopaths and psychopaths would not admit they are messed up in some way, as they want to keep that hidden usually, I think.

-snipped-

-snipped-

-snipped-

-snipped-

Does this mean I am "on the fence"
?

BBM and snipped for brevity (doesn't mean I won't be chewing on the entire post for quite some time.

First of all, I am so glad you are here and glad you are currently on the fence. We have been quite polarized and your calm, objective "on the fence" approach is just what's needed after 50+ threads (IMO.)

As far as the WiFi, I think it has only recently been confirmed that MR even had WiFi. There is one news article that must have the pictures of Dylan mislabeled, backpack was on at the airport, and not visible in the Walmart photo or not on. Your comment about MR being home when RN texted Dylan really took me back. I had never connected those two timeframes. To my knowledge, MR has never commented on that. A huge omission to my thinking.

ETA: I meant to ask if you also watched the uncut interview with Melissa Blasius?

[/B]

I guess I'm just fortunate to know a lot of good, caring, decent men. Many of whom are excellent fathers, love their kids dearly, and aren't afraid to show it. There may also be a generational thing going on -- I think some men of my parents' generation were less comfortable with expressing emotion.

IMO.

Not generational, IMO/IME. My father was a WWII Vet and his father was born prior to the turn of the century (as in the 1800s). Neither of them were afraid to show their emotions. Good men aren't afraid to cry. :moo:

Not generational, IMO/IME. My father was a WWII Vet and his father was born prior to the turn of the century (as in the 1800s). Neither of them were afraid to show their emotions. Good men aren't afraid to cry. :moo:

This is a confusing statement. BBM. Bad men are therefore afraid to cry?

Some people, men and women, are emotionally labile. Some display their emotions readily. Some don't. Some are reserved. Most are good people. Some good people have done bad things. Some bad people have done good things. I guess I can't accept black and white thinking.

BBM and snipped for brevity (doesn't mean I won't be chewing on the entire post for quite some time.

First of all, I am so glad you are here and glad you are currently on the fence. We have been quite polarized and your calm, objective "on the fence" approach is just what's needed after 50+ threads (IMO.)

As far as the WiFi, I think it has only recently been confirmed that MR even had WiFi. There is one news article that must have the pictures of Dylan mislabeled, backpack was on at the airport, and not visible in the Walmart photo or not on. Your comment about MR being home when RN texted Dylan really took me back. I had never connected those two timeframes. To my knowledge, MR has never commented on that. A huge omission to my thinking.

ETA: I meant to ask if you also watched the uncut interview with Melissa Blasius?

You are so right, this really was a good question about the time of R's text in the morning and the overlap between 6:30 and 7:30. I did think about it and then forgot to mention it with my quest to find the articles/interviews of Mark.
Really good reasoning, but I can imagine the answer if Mark should ever answer the question. You know he doesn't notice a lot of little things like that.

Thank you for posting, Alwaysshocked, and observing. Katy did a great job responding. Just want to stress that Elaine has been the responsible, breadwinning, hard-working one. She was selected to be part of financial aid for Colorado College, which is essentially the Columbia/Brown university of the Interior West.

For the record I did not say he NEVER cries. I was saying thAt it felt odd to me that he was able to speak about Dylan's last moments, in his explicit examples he told of him being picked up in a car and never being seen again---and there was no emotion or grief in his voice, imo. He was very matter of fact about the discussion, last Sunday, and I found it strange. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500