CO - Dylan Redwine - Forensics Discussion- *WARNING!* MAY INCLUDE GRAPHIC DETAILS

From link provided by Sasquatch -

Rapid DNA or Rapid DNA Analysis

Q: What is Rapid DNA or Rapid DNA analysis?
A: Rapid DNA describes the fully automated (hands free) process of developing a CODIS Core STR profile from a reference sample buccal swab. The “swab in – profile out” process consists of automated extraction, amplification, separation, detection and allele calling without human intervention.

Q: What is the Rapid DNA Index System (RDIS)?
A: RDIS is the proposed fourth tier of NDIS; a fully integrated system capable of performing reference sample buccal swab STR analysis in 1-2 hours and initiating DNA searches from a police booking station.

snipped (for space)

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/lab/biometric-analysis/codis/codis-and-ndis-fact-sheet

BBM- Had to look up buccal swab. It appears to come from inside the cheek. Can they also do this with bones?

Here is what I am wondering. LE said they did not think they would find more bones. I have to go back and look at that trajectory diagram. But perhaps the bones located on Middle Mountain are the end of the trajectory, not the beginning? Just thinking about the dogs hit on that side of the lake and the very concentrated spot that LE searched when the spring thaw came.

___
moo

I do not know how to bring a post over. This link is from a post by Sasquatch. (Thank you Sasquatch.) On page eleven it has the trajectory I referred to on my previous post. It has a lot of other very interesting information as well.

(The Search for Human Remains in the SAR Environment 33 Pages PDF Format (SARTI-Mark Gleason) 3-08
www.sarti.us/sarti/files/SearchForHumanRemains.pdf

BBM- Had to look up buccal swab. It appears to come from inside the cheek. Can they also do this with bones?

Here is what I am wondering. LE said they did not think they would find more bones. I have to go back and look at that trajectory diagram. But perhaps the bones located on Middle Mountain are the end of the trajectory, not the beginning? Just thinking about the dogs hit on that side of the lake and the very concentrated spot that LE searched when the spring thaw came.

___
moo

I just posted on the MM Search thread regarding this. Nothing insightful, I'm afraid, but wondering out loud how high a body could have been placed on the mtn and at what position in order to lead to remains being scattered below in the drainage. Sure, they could have STARTED in the drainage but I doubt it very much. Not sure what else would have caused the dog hits on the east side of the lake as it is south and East from the drainage. However, it IS where one of the rivers feeds the lake. So glad more searching is underway.

From the state of Dylan's remains and from what we know, it is a dreadful thought, but it is pretty clear that he was dead before we ever even heard of him. All of those long seven months that it took to reduce his body to a few bones, while so many here were almost positive he was alive and just "hidden". Pretty awful to know this now.

___
moo

The buccal swab is the same type of swab that is given to participants in the National Geographic Genographic Study to trace lineage. I believe the buccal swabs are similar to what Law Enforcement uses. By sampling with a buccal swab, you are taking the sample in a controlled environment. Usually two swabs are taken for quality control. If the first swab does not produce enough DNA, then a second swab can be used. Taking a cheek swab sample and placing it immediately into a vile, or plastic bag prevents contamination. The problem with human remains, is that the outer bones have been exposed to the elements, possibly animals and acids in the soil. So swabbing a bone would most likely guarantee contamination. This is why they have to clean the bone, let it dry then cut the bone with sterile tools to get to the uncontaminated DNA, that has not been exposed yet. The bones are then crushed to be able to extract the DNA.

Hoping Dylan is never forgotten and one day justice will be served to whomever is responsible

From the state of Dylan's remains and from what we know, it is a dreadful thought, but it is pretty clear that he was dead before we ever even heard of him. All of those long seven months that it took to reduce his body to a few bones, while so many here were almost positive he was alive and just "hidden". Pretty awful to know this now.

I don't know why but this post instantly brought Kyron Horman to my mind..
I think we want to believe they are alive because of the recent events in which people were found years later.

Poor Dylan.

The buccal swab is the same type of swab that is given to participants in the National Geographic Genographic Study to trace lineage. I believe the buccal swabs are similar to what Law Enforcement uses. By sampling with a buccal swab, you are taking the sample in a controlled environment. Usually two swabs are taken for quality control. If the first swab does not produce enough DNA, then a second swab can be used. Taking a cheek swab sample and placing it immediately into a vile, or plastic bag prevents contamination. The problem with human remains, is that the outer bones have been exposed to the elements, possibly animals and acids in the soil. So swabbing a bone would most likely guarantee contamination. This is why they have to clean the bone, let it dry then cut the bone with sterile tools to get to the uncontaminated DNA, that has not been exposed yet. The bones are then crushed to be able to extract the DNA.

Thanks Sasquatch.

So the runoff, and downslope winds, from Middle Mountain told us where Dylan was. Truly wish a hydrologist had been called in from the get go!

So the runoff, and downslope winds, from Middle Mountain told us where Dylan was. Truly wish a hydrologist had been called in from the get go!

I guess I'm wondering how we can know whether a hydrologist weighed in on this or not. Trying to find out info since the bones were found is taxing my limited Internet skills.

Mountains hold many secrets, and how much activity a drainage might have in the spring is dependent on many factors: wind, how much snow piled and drifted, the overall snowpack in that particular mountain range, how fast it melts off, etc., and then try to factor in animals scavenging, as well, and I can certainly see it taking a while to figure out the original resting place of the bones.

I want to think that LE and those working on the evidence are doing all that they can and doing the best they can, and I'm trying hard to be patient. I cannot imagine how Elaine and her family are hanging on.

jmo if Dylan was placed in the culvert, he would not be snow covered - he would through the winter be more accessible to winter hungry scavengers.

A deer died just behind my back fence, it was a big deer, so i could'nt move it away. I knew something was dead back there because it was very pungent to my human nose. A bear visited the deer on a regular couple of day basis. About a month later i checked the area - not a bone was left- i was amazed (i was hoping for the skull). All that was left were quite a few chunks of hair.
This was in the spring so there insects around also. I'm sure the bear had some help, racoons, rats, feral cats. I just did not think the bones would of been of much interest to the scavengers. moo

jmo if Dylan was placed in the culvert, he would not be snow covered - he would through the winter be more accessible to winter hungry scavengers.

A deer died just behind my back fence, it was a big deer, so i could'nt move it away. I knew something was dead back there because it was very pungent to my human nose. A bear visited the deer on a regular couple of day basis. About a month later i checked the area - not a bone was left- i was amazed (i was hoping for the skull). All that was left were quite a few chunks of hair.
This was in the spring so there insects around also. I'm sure the bear had some help, racoons, rats, feral cats. I just did not think the bones would of been of much interest to the scavengers. moo
Bears seem to love deer bones.[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVDElBVgg8s"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVDElBVgg8s[/ame] There must not have been a bear near the femurs found, or it looks like they would have been eaten.

Back when the lake was being searched, there were strong hits reported by the HRD dogs. I believe it was back in February when holes were cut into the ice and the dogs hit on a scent. Is it possible or likely that the scent WAS from Dylan's body, located much further up the hill? I'd be very interested to hear from the experts. If not, what were the dogs hitting on?

Back when the lake was being searched, there were strong hits reported by the HRD dogs. I believe it was back in February when holes were cut into the ice and the dogs hit on a scent. Is it possible or likely that the scent WAS from Dylan's body, located much further up the hill? I'd be very interested to hear from the experts. If not, what were the dogs hitting on?

The HRD dogs got a scent on the water back on November 25th as well as late February when holes were cut in the ice. Two different sets of dogs. I would LOVE to hear if a scent was possible from mtn runoff or ????

Are searches for other remains continuing? TIA

Something's going on in Vallecito.
Not sure how this fits with TOS, but FB word is there are LE at the home of MR in large numbers.

Trying to post the link to all voices.com, but I am a novice, and it's not working.

Just be patient Joanne,,, we've waited this long and if it's true , it will be in MSM soon enough.

Look at the Justice for Dylan FB anyone who wants info.
That all voices link is crap and IDK what kind of page it even is,,,seems shady.

Melissa Blasius ‏@MelissaBlasius 15m
Investigators conduct new search of dad's Colorado home in 9-month-old case of missing/murdered teen Dylan Redwine. #justicefordylan #9NEWS

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back