CO - Dylan Redwine - Forensics Discussion- *WARNING!* MAY INCLUDE GRAPHIC DETAILS

Wow, yeah, those are larger bones; I know what my dog does to smaller bones. Might not find much else.
Tibias probably went with the feet and shoes (if there were any). During the winter months, coyotes could have come back to the area they originally scavenged and dug through the snow. (They do in the mountains here if they are hungry) The search team is lucky they found anything, between the animals and the probability that quite a bit washed downhill. Thank goodness they were so thorough.

Maybe Dylan wasn't wearing his shoes, if he was laying on the couch and the shoe lace is not related to the case at all. I mean how do you narrow down a shoelace?

Bringing my own post over from the other thread:

Where is the skull? IMO There's a reason skulls are generally found mostly intact and it's because they are not easily broken up. Even archaic discoveries generally include the skull, even a hundred thousand years later. An animal may fracture a bone to get at the marrow inside and in doing that digest some of it, but that seems less likely with a skull. The search team included archeologist and anthropologist who would know this also - would they have stopped searching "we found all we're going to find" without the skull?

Also, I don't believe teeth are easily digestible, so I would have thought that teeth and/or skull remains would be located.

I also wonder if they scouted for any large animal dens? Coyote, mountain lion, etc. Not as predators, but as scavengers.
You could be right. I have to wonder, though, if the skull couldn't have rolled downhill. I have to wonder exactly where they found the remains, and how far apart. If they were spread apart down the drainage area (and they got to a place where they could no longer search), they might assume the rest washed downhill.

Lurking. Reading. Liking this thread. Not much to add except I think the shoelaces were white. I loved the topography map Ghostwheel put in the other thread. Can you bring it over here or point to where to find it online? i'd like to expand it for a bigger look at the mtn in relation to the creeks.

Has it been mentioned if cadaver dogs were used during the 5 day search? I don't recall reading anything about this.

Maybe Dylan wasn't wearing his shoes, if he was laying on the couch and the shoe lace is not related to the case at all. I mean how do you narrow down a shoelace?

I think that the way a shoelace is handled over and over by the person tying their own shoes, Dylan's DNA would likely be embedded in the porous fabric. I can imagine that there would also be other DNA sources such as blood, bits of flesh or decomposition fluids, depending upon how the lace was used if it was taken from the shoe for binding or strangling. If you have ever examined a broken lace, you might remember that they are sometimes made of a flattened tube of fabric or more often, woven around a core. Lots of little crevices to catch bits of skin or absorbed fluids. Could be killer DNA hiding in there too

MOO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

re: DNA on shoelaces.

DNA can be preserved pretty well if solidly frozen but if it is freeze thaw freeze thaw OR if exposed to UV rays it will degrade quickly.

Would be weird to find shoelaces in that area that were unrelated though, wouldn't you think?

Bender said they were done searching, and the area is not cordoned off as a crime scene.

If LE is keeping back information about additional remains, they certainly could not hold those remains back secretly when they release the body for burial, right? So I guess we would know for sure when/if it gets announced that the family will be receiving the remains for burial.

Thank you. I feel better posting this here.

The shoes might be one the key pieces that makes LE go with homicide. Those are one of the few things that animals would not eat all of (I'm not going into graphic detail here). They don't like the soles at all. (Except bears, who just don't care).

So, moving to the shoelaces being found, were they found tied around his femurs? Hence Homicide?

Also brings into play a more likely scenario of a stranger?

Just me thinking out loud.

I did have a Boxer who ate, sole and all three pairs of shoes, one canvas, one rubber flip flop, and one leather pump. There was a problem with passing them through the dog's body though. Anyway I do think that Dylan was disposed of here, someone thought that he would never be found. I wish we knew what bones were found.

Is it possible that the forensic teams found a "death outline" somewhere during their search, which might lead them to believe that the body was initially intact?

Decomposition is largely inhibited during advanced decay due to the loss of readily available cadaveric material.[8] Insect activity is also reduced during this stage.[6] When the carcass is located on soil, the area surrounding it will show evidence of vegetation death.[8] The CDI surrounding the carcass will display an increase in soil carbon and nutrients, such as phosphorus, potassium, calcium, and magnesium;[5] changes in pH; and a significant increase in soil nitrogen.[10]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decomposition

This is one of the teams brought in on this last search: http://www.necrosearch.org/

From their website:

Scent Detection Dogs

Cadaver dogs are valuable for detecting human remains. Although NecroSearch has members who are cadaver dog handlers, we do not have our own dogs. Whenever possible, we suggest that arrangements be made for a cadaver dog search.

I don't know if the cadaver dogs were brought in, or not.

Groups taking part included: La Plata County Sheriff’s Office; Durango Police Department; Bayfield Marshal’s Office; Dept of Homeland Security; U.S.Forest Service; La Plata Search & Rescue; La Plata Mounted Patrol; AZSTAR K-9 teams (Arizona); members of the Southwest Drug Task Force; Necro Search; Upper Pine Fire Protection District; Durango Fire & Rescue Tactical Team; anthropologists and archaeologists from Fort Lewis College; FBI.

From http://http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/local-news/dylan-redwine-search-yields-items-to-be-tested-further

Lurking. Reading. Liking this thread. Not much to add except I think the shoelaces were white. I loved the topography map Ghostwheel put in the other thread. Can you bring it over here or point to where to find it online? i'd like to expand it for a bigger look at the mtn in relation to the creeks.
Here you go. This is just a JPG. If anyone wants another area, let me know.

Attachments

• TerrainMap.jpg
    TerrainMap.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 220
Would be weird to find shoelaces in that area that were unrelated though, wouldn't you think?

Bender said they were done searching, and the area is not cordoned off as a crime scene.

If LE is keeping back information about additional remains, they certainly could not hold those remains back secretly when they release the body for burial, right? So I guess we would know for sure when/if it gets announced that the family will be receiving the remains for burial.
While they might not hold back the remains secretly, they could hold back remains and not say what they were, could they not? As in "Certain remains have been retained as evidence." and just leave it at that?

While they might not hold back the remains secretly, they could hold back remains and not say what they were, could they not? As in "Certain remains have been retained as evidence." and just leave it at that?

Um, hm. It's hard for me because I wasn't raised to put much stock kin funerals and burial ceremonies of any sort. But I'm pretty sure there would be upset people if they found out a skull, for instance, had been withheld and so was not buried. I think they'd hold all remains until they were confident they could release all of them so I'm going to wait until then and see if anyone discusses what LE gives the family.

I think there must be a way that they can test, document and examine these remains so they can be returned to the family, even prior to a trial.

Have we heard from anybody BESIDES MR which parts were recovered??

Thank you. I feel better posting this here.

The shoes might be one the key pieces that makes LE go with homicide. Those are one of the few things that animals would not eat all of (I'm not going into graphic detail here). They don't like the soles at all. (Except bears, who just don't care).

So, moving to the shoelaces being found, were they found tied around his femurs? Hence Homicide?

Also brings into play a more likely scenario of a stranger?

Just me thinking out loud.

My first thought about the shoelaces was that my son used to pull them out and wear "skater" shoes. But he would have them handy, in his pocket, if I asked him to hike with me.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Val in PA
Back