GUILTY CO - Jasmine, 5, & Nathan Mendieta, 2, die in hot car, Castle Rock, 20 Aug 2008

Comments from someone that is familiar with that area

My daughter goes to school with several kids who live in this neighborhood. Apparently, a Honduran/Latin looking man was seen driving nervously around the neighborhood around the time the police arrived. In addition, she told me that the biological father (who I thought was out of the picture) was upset because his divorce was finalized
yesterday and killed the kids to get back at the ex-wife.

http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=98025&catid=339

Wait, are you saying that the latter is what happened here, or that someone is saying that that's what happened?

:confused:

Not... in the article I get when I click on your link....

Sorry, just wondering what the source was, i.e., if that was "official." It sounded like it in its detail. (about the dad)

Tapu, here are some of the comments

mamamitzie wrote:
I have to stop reading these stories, I read them and I want to throw up. The idea of my children passing so suddenly really freaks me out.

RIP poor babies
8/21/2008 3:37 PM PDT on 9news.com
Recommend (1)
Report Abuse

morecowbellplz wrote:
My daughter goes to school with several kids who live in this neighborhood. Apparently, a Honduran/Latin looking man was seen driving nervously around the neighborhood around the time the police arrived. In addition, she told me that the biological father (who I thought was out of the picture) was upset because his divorce was finalized yesterday and killed the kids to get back at the ex-wife.
8/21/2008 3:36 PM PDT on 9news.com
Recommend (2)
Report Abuse

girlwithopinion wrote:
Xzaviadf wrote:
Some have not read the story completely.....it states

"The mother worked nights and the grandparents took care of the children during the day.'"

So if the grandparents work all day then what grandparents took care of the children during the day?

The story also stated the kids did go to daycare. For all we know the kids thought they were going to daycare that day and got in the car, and could't get out. Or they might have thought they were going to go to the store and went and got in the car. The second I mention going anywhere my two year old heads for the garage to get in the car. Yes, I lock the door so she can't get out, but she has learned to unlock the door. Kids are smarter than we think they are. We have to stay a step ahead of them and it is hard. This poor family... this is the last thing they expected to happen I am sure.
8/21/2008 3:19 PM PDT on 9news.com

http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=98025&catid=339

Wow - this just gets more and more confusing. I am surely reserving judgment until cause of death is positively identified.

My prayers to the family.

Read the links, and yes, this is interesting.

Apparently, the grandparents were at work. Mom was home with the kids and she is the one who phoned them in as missing. That is somewhat weird to me -- if I could not find my kids in my own home, I'd go outside and look around my property before I called the cops.

I'm thinking about child safety locks. That would explain why the kids couldn't get out of the back doors. But the front doors would have still opened, provided they were unlocked. I suppose it is not beyond the realm of possibilities that a 5-yr old child might not be able to figure out how to unlock a car door. I have enough trouble sometimes figuring out where the locks are on an unfamiliar car, and I'm 41.

I am believing this was a horrible accident...... for now.

Why didn't mom look outside, including in the car, when she found that the children were missing? What was mom doing prior to the time when she noticed the children were missing?

Very suspect.

I suppose it is not beyond the realm of possibilities that a 5-yr old child might not be able to figure out how to unlock a car door.

Never underestimate a 5 yr. old.

As an aside...I remember playing in my parent's cars when I was a kid. And we had an old VW that wasn't running, and used to play in that, too.

Wow, hipmama, that's a real headscratcher. I have a million questions - namely, why weren't a 2 and 5 year old noticed missing in the time that it would take them to die in a car? Most 5 year olds and some 2 year olds can get out of a locked car, but maybe the older child was disoriented from heat and/or not familiar with the car. I just don't know, but it's heartbreaking.

Maybe the car had childlocks activated and that kept them locked in? Poor litle honeys. My prayers to those that loved them.

Mom was probably online talking to her Kuwaiti lover... Yeah call me a witch! RIP poor babies. :mad:

Why didn't mom look outside, including in the car, when she found that the children were missing? What was mom doing prior to the time when she noticed the children were missing?

Very suspect.

If the mom had already quit her job, that lends support to the statement that she intended to go to Kuwait SOON.

I say, they need to see if the mother has ordered Passports for her children. If not, IMO, they definitely need to investigate this case further.

Very suspect.

I am reserving judgement at the moment, but the mom's first thought could be to call the police when the children were discovered missing due to the relationship with their father. From personal experience, there's been times in my life that if my kids were to have been missing I would have immediately called police.

Hipmamajen, thanks for the update. Hopefully they will get the results soon.

from hipmamajen's link above:

Investigators continued to hunt for clues in the deaths. Sheriff's investigators questioned Stacey Mendieta on Wednesday and Thursday, but no arrest has been made.

"We don't have anybody in custody right now," Heyden said. "We won't be able to speculate on anything until we get the cause of death."

Doesn't that sound like they expect to make an arrest, just not yet? Or am I reading too much into it?

from hipmamajen's link above:

Investigators continued to hunt for clues in the deaths. Sheriff's investigators questioned Stacey Mendieta on Wednesday and Thursday, but no arrest has been made.

"We don't have anybody in custody right now," Heyden said. "We won't be able to speculate on anything until we get the cause of death."

Doesn't that sound like they expect to make an arrest, just not yet? Or am I reading too much into it?

It sounds like it to me too, but again, I may also be reading too much into it.

Sure wish there was some news, but the DNC is taking over all media ... unfortunately. Has anyone heard anything?

Sure wish there was some news, but the DNC is taking over all media ... unfortunately. Has anyone heard anything?

I checked for online reports last night and couldn't find anything either.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stupot77
Back