GUILTY CO - Jasmine, 5, & Nathan Mendieta, 2, die in hot car, Castle Rock, 20 Aug 2008

I'm not giving it up just yet. Why were the kids on the floor? The girl on the floor in front and the boy on the floor in back. If the kids were uncomfortable, why were they not on the seat near the door? I don't get it.....

Prayers to the family and may the little ones rest in peace,

Salem

I hate to give it up, too. Someone mentioned hide-and-seek, and that could account for the fact that they were on the floor. Not sure if we know how long she was looking for them, but they could have heard her calling and ducked down so she wouldn't see.

If this truly was an accident, prosecuting her wouldn't do any good, I guess, but, at the very least, she was neglectful, imo.

From a report on www.9news.com/news:

QUOTE:

Neighbors say the children's mother, 28-year-old Stacey Mendieta, works at night and was at home in the afternoon of Aug. 20 with the kids.

The call police originally received was a report of two missing children.

However, it didn't take officers long to find the two kids inside what neighbors say was their mother's car.

After the children were found, Cocha Heyden with the Douglas County Sheriff's Office said, "How'd they get in the car? When they got in the car? How long they'd been in the car?"

UNQUOTE

I maintain that this is most likely to have been deliberate murder and premeditated.

But on reading the above I concede it is just about possible for the children to have got into the car while their mother was asleep and they perhaps fainted due to the heat after they were in there for a while. ASnd then became dehydrated.

I note the report says "the mother was at home in the afternoon of Aug. 20 with the kids".

I would add that these are very good questions: "How'd they get in the car? When they got in the car? How long they'd been in the car?"

I hope the dead kids' mother has got some very good answers.

I would have thought that a prosecution for child neglect was the absolute minimum here

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

TB, it was discussed in the beginning of the thread that the mother had the kids out already in A car. I believe the car that was parked in the front of the house. Cops checked that car and assumed that this was the only car?

That was the excuse given on why they didn't search the other car where these kids were. Either way if that report was true the mother had been awake and took the kids somewhere in the car that morning.

She very well maybe then went inside and went to sleep if she works nights. Now of course this is all going on the original reports. So, the mom was awake and driving somewhere prior to the kids being found. It's very sad.

TB, it was discussed in the beginning of the thread that the mother had the kids out already in A car. I believe the car that was parked in the front of the house. Cops checked that car and assumed that this was the only car?

That was the excuse given on why they didn't search the other car where these kids were. Either way if that report was true the mother had been awake and took the kids somewhere in the car that morning.

She very well maybe then went inside and went to sleep if she works nights. Now of course this is all going on the original reports. So, the mom was awake and driving somewhere prior to the kids being found. It's very sad.

Hey Filly. :) This is my understanding of it too....unless I have missed something. This case continues to break my heart.

That's the key, SCM. If we were attracted to something my Pop's shot it down pronto. :rolleyes: As always, SCM your honesty amazes me.:)

It's so sad about this brother and sister.

This made me chuckle and think about something my then 6-year-old stpebrother would often say to my Mom and his Dad, to wit: "YOU GUYS SUCK THE FUN OUT OF EVERYTHING!" That always made me LOL!

Hey Filly. :) This is my understanding of it too....unless I have missed something. This case continues to break my heart.

Lady, I think we got it right. I know it's heart wrentching just even thinking. Thinking and worrying. Poor babies.

Naw, I don't think we missed nothing. Ya know we're crackerjack and all.:crazy:

This made me chuckle and think about something my then 6-year-old stpebrother would often say to my Mom and his Dad, to wit: "YOU GUYS SUCK THE FUN OUT OF EVERYTHING!" That always made me LOL!

Gotta love them 6 year olds like your stepbrother. I have a kid up my block just like this. I love that kid. He just comes out with it.:)

Man, we could never say that to my dad. He'd have us fingerprinted.:eek: Having the law as your dad as a kid is not fun.:crazy: I miss my dad.

Looks like this woman has found a neat way to get away with murder.

Looks like this woman has found a neat way to get away with murder.

I just dont buy the accidental part of it- Yes, it is a fact and tradgedies like this happen EVERY DAY!! Most, dont get prosecuted, a they are truely an accident. One of the earlier articles stated how she soent a lot of time on line and met a future hubby online and was planning on moving to KUWAIT?

Im sorry, but unless you are military, or a native, you have NO BUSINESS going too the middle east, let alone bringing your AMERICAN children.My children BOTH have dual citizenship in Israel, and my DH, nor I, would go there now unless for a family emergency, let alone allow our children to travel. (and Israel is one of the more secure countries over there).

Im obviously not racially biased, but I am going to look into some more on this "man" waiting for her in Kuwait- Maybe he didnt know about the kids? Maybe my mind is just jaded from reading so many true-life horror stories? I apologize in advance if I offended anyone- That is truly not my intention- only stating facts :waitasec:

Here's an update! I have to say that I'm really NOT surprised.

Mother faces long prison term after kids die in hot car

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_10771565

Two children who died in an overheated car in August may have been on their own for more than three hours as their mother slept after working a night shift, according to a Douglas County Sheriff's Office investigation.
The kids died in a closed but unlocked car from complications of hyperthermia. Deputies testing the car believe the temperature where the children were found may have reached 123 degrees.

The report by Douglas County sheriff's Deputy David Weaver recommended to District Attorney Carol Chambers that Stacey Mendieta, 28, mother of Jasmine Mendieta, 5, and Nathan Mendieta, 2, be charged with two counts of child abuse resulting in death, which Chambers did on Friday...

Here's an update! I have to say that I'm really NOT surprised.

Mother faces long prison term after kids die in hot car

Two children who died in an overheated car in August may have been on their own for more than three hours as their mother slept after working a night shift, according to a Douglas County Sheriff's Office investigation.
The kids died in a closed but unlocked car from complications of hyperthermia. Deputies testing the car believe the temperature where the children were found may have reached 123 degrees.

The report by Douglas County sheriff's Deputy David Weaver recommended to District Attorney Carol Chambers that Stacey Mendieta, 28, mother of Jasmine Mendieta, 5, and Nathan Mendieta, 2, be charged with two counts of child abuse resulting in death, which Chambers did on Friday...

What the heck???
She put them in there on purpose and left them there to die???
What a horrible way to die!!!
Those poor babies!!!!
Usually you hear that a parent "forgot" their child was in the car....but she actually did this on purpose?
Weren't her parents around or something too?
I don't really remember where the kids' dad was?

No, it sounds like they snuck out while she slept (she was working nights) and were playing in the car. It's pretty sad, it sounds like they were in the car starting around 11:30am until 3:15pm when they were found dead :(

If only that cleaning man would have done something when he saw them playing in the car at 11;3O. I guess there is always going to be what ifs.

Hmmm...that one doesn't look good. Mom recently divorced and preparing to move out of the country to pursue a new online romance. No one else home. Kids have never gone outside alone before.

I wonder if she had made plans for the kids to go with her; i.e., bought tickets, clothing, etc. for them to make the trip as well.

This mom has two little kids and she is planning to move OUT OF THE COUNTRY to pursue a new ONLINE ROMANCE!!!!!! Where is her head anyway.
Talk about taking a big risk with someone that she doesn't even know and on top of that she planned to move out of the country where she knows no one.
Some things just make me shake my head. Doesn't she have a clue what this world is like in this day and age. It is just crazy. She was alright about putting herself and her children at risk.

I wonder if the car was even looked at? Some cars have child proof locks on the back doors that automatically lock when the door is closed. The front doors should have opened though. It seems like the 5 yr old would have opened the doors in the front anyway. I hope this was an accident and not anything more.

What a horrible case. :( RIP Babies. Their mother deserves what she gets. You don't leave two children unattended for hours while you sleep. If she was that tired, she should have taken them to daycare or called someone to watch them. No excuse.

How does a 5-year-old not know how to open an unlocked car door? I have always been thankful for automatic locks because from the time my kids were 4 they could get out of the car on their own. I still don't believe this was an accident.

I have watched too many MSNBC Investigative reports about meeting people on line. WHY would she bring her 5 and 2 year old to KUWAIT to meet an on-line lover? I hate saying this, but these two babies could have been in danger going there also.

WHY would she bring her kids? I dont understand- :confused:

I must be too protective of a parent- My bad.....:eek:

I hope this was a simple mistake, but my hinky meter is up on this one!
Don't know if this could be the case....but you can be command sponsered by the army in Kuwait. Perhaps the man was active duty. There are also lots of ex pats in Kuait as well as SA.

From a report on www.9news.com/news:

QUOTE:

Neighbors say the children's mother, 28-year-old Stacey Mendieta, works at night and was at home in the afternoon of Aug. 20 with the kids.

The call police originally received was a report of two missing children.

However, it didn't take officers long to find the two kids inside what neighbors say was their mother's car.

After the children were found, Cocha Heyden with the Douglas County Sheriff's Office said, "How'd they get in the car? When they got in the car? How long they'd been in the car?"

UNQUOTE

I maintain that this is most likely to have been deliberate murder and premeditated.

But on reading the above I concede it is just about possible for the children to have got into the car while their mother was asleep and they perhaps fainted due to the heat after they were in there for a while. ASnd then became dehydrated.

I note the report says "the mother was at home in the afternoon of Aug. 20 with the kids".

I would add that these are very good questions: "How'd they get in the car? When they got in the car? How long they'd been in the car?"

I hope the dead kids' mother has got some very good answers.

I would have thought that a prosecution for child neglect was the absolute minimum here

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
bold at the top is mine. The mom worked at night and stayed up all day to watch her kids. I could see that being a precursor to this horrible accident. She could have conked out long enough for them to get in the car and pass away from the heat. It is just sad all the way around....

I think it is an accident.

It is an unfortuante reality that many children die in cars.

It says the car doors were unlocked, but there is no mention on where there is safety locks. What I find suspicious that a child of 5 wouldn't have the reaction to open a door and get out.

"Normally, she would take the children to day care, but she withdrew them that week because they were moving to Kuwait, where Mendieta was to marry a Pakistani she met on the Internet, the affidavit said."

Definitely murder. She wanted to get rid of her "unwanted baggage" before meeting her online Pakistani lover. Disgusting and sick woman.
A 2 year old would cry from the discomfort of being in a hot car.
She goes to sleep and leaves her 5 yr old and 2 yr old unattended. Her story stinks to high heaven. Not to mention all of her inconsistantancies in the recounts she told LE.

Also if the Pakistani lover she was moving over there to meet is Muslim; them most likely he wouldn't have taken to nicely to her having 2 previous children by another man.
Here's a wikipedia article regarding Islamic adoption:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_adoption

"Contrary to what happens in the western world, a child does not formally leave his or her biological family (if known) to enter the one that raises them. While raising someone's else child is allowed and even encouraged in case of an orphan, the child does not become a child of the new parents. This form of adoption where children retain membership to their original family"

Wow - sad story all around. Sounds like the Mom was distracted by the man and desperate for a husband.

Muslim men living outside of the U.S. generally don't bend to the woman's customs. And his customs frowned upon her two kids. I'm leaning toward murder for that reason. But I hope I'm wrong.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back