CO - Jessica Ridgeway, 10, Westminster, 5 Oct 2012 - #10

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is my opinion that she was found by accident. If th ekiller had put her there just after the clean-up crew had been though when is the next time someone would have been by on foot?

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2012/10/jessica-ridgeway-body-officially-identified/

Jessica’s body was found about seven miles from her home in Westminster, Colo. Her backpack and water bottle were recovered from a neighborhood subdivision in Superior, Colo., on Sunday.

bbm, Does this mean that the water bottle was not in the backpack? Or does it mean that the water bottle was not hers?

It is my opinion that she was found by accident. If th ekiller had put her there just after the clean-up crew had been though when is the next time someone would have been by on foot?

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2012/10/jessica-ridgeway-body-officially-identified/

Jessica’s body was found about seven miles from her home in Westminster, Colo. Her backpack and water bottle were recovered from a neighborhood subdivision in Superior, Colo., on Sunday.

bbm, Does this mean that the water bottle was not in the backpack? Or does it mean that the water bottle was not hers?

The water bottle with her name on it was in the backpack. That's how the people who found the backpack were able to determine who it belonged to.

If you look in the first post on this thread, there's a pointer to the media/timeline thread. Most of the basic information about the case is there. Really good place to check -- I know I've found answers to many of my questions there.

From the Wesminster Police Department Facebook page

"The FBI has been able to rule out the Wyoming abductor in our case."

http://www.facebook.com/westminsterpolice

Posted 50 minutes ago.

Thanks to b2alicia for bringing this to our attention. :cheers:

This is so disappointing! I was really hoping they had gotten him already, and the many connections and coincidences made it seem a possibility. However, it is great news that at least they caught this guy (who was apparently roaming the countryside with this shtick) and that that brave little girl got away with her life.

I believe the water bottle had her name on it.

http://www.10news.com/news/local-ne...eway-still-no-clues-after-3-days-of-searching

Jessica Ridgeway search shifts to Superior after water bottle found with her name on it

Is it common not to release the name of an arrested suspect? They have charged him right?

Answering in general terms, not about any particular case:

When state A where a crime was committed wants to arrest somebody, they issue a warrant for his arrest. When LE in state B notices the person in their jurisdiction, they can arrest him on that warrant and hold him for state A. There will be an extradition hearing where state A formally says, "Please give him to us." The suspect will usually waive extradition, in which case state B turns him/her over to state A and state A takes him/her back to their state and formally charges him/her with the crime. The suspect can choose to fight extradition, in which case state A has to provide evidence that he's the person they're looking for.

All of this can take several days. When arrests happen over the weekend, it can be a couple of days before a judge is available.

Extradition hearings are usually but not always public.

Exact procedures vary in different states.

And I am not a lawyer, have never played one on TV, and have never worked in the judicial system either, so I might well have this wrong. Would appreciate correction if I am :D

The water bottle with her name on it was in the backpack. That's how the people who found the backpack were able to determine who it belonged to.

It may have been listed as a separate item if the water bottle was in an outside 'pocket' and not in the main body of the backpack.

My kids' backpacks have two big pouches of sorts on either side of their backpacks towards the bottom specifically designed to hold water bottles. My DD's side pouches are actually mesh so I'd describe her water bottle as being 'on' her backpack, not IN it. :crazy:

Also, I thought it was mentioned her name was on the water bottle. :twocents:

If I recall, the water bottle was in the backpack. The guy who found the backpack is unusually silent about what all the contents were too. Was there any confirmation that her clothes were also in there, or was that a rumor from the beginning?

If I recall, the water bottle was in the backpack. The guy who found the backpack is unusually silent about what all the contents were too. Was there any confirmation that her clothes were also in there, or was that a rumor from the beginning?

I believe it was speculation

the clothing is a rumor.

as for the man who found the backpack: I wouldn't be doing one single interview with the media if I were him. At this point he is a witness and keeping silent is not unusual etc in my opinion.

I don't think LE ever released anything regarding the contents of the backpack. I think some people wondered if clothes were inside when they started mentioning she may NOT be in the outfit she was last seen in. (I could be wrong, though.)

The guy may have been silent about the contents because he may not have looked inside. If the water bottle was attached to the outside and the name Jessica showed, he may not have felt it necessary to dig inside. Personally, when my kids have had friends over straight from school, occasionally one has left a backpack. I had my kids ID whose it was from just looking at the outside. Digging inside seemed too invasive (like digging in a woman's purse!) But maybe that's just me!

After looking at the map of where the BP was found and coming to the realization that this person more then likely either lived in superior or had spent some time there I got to thinking about wether or not I know anyone that lives/lived there. It turns out that one of my wifes friends and her kids/husband who moved within blocks of where JR lived about a month ago also used to live in Superior.

Although I don't really like the husband, I don't necessarily think he's the type of person to do something as atrocious as this, but you never really know. Chances are he was at work that day which would clear him immediately.

I brought this up with my wife and she doesn't think it's anything, in fact she called me paranoid. While I agree with her thinking that it's highly unlikely, I also know that it could be some small tip like this that could solve this case very easily.

It may have been listed as a separate item if the water bottle was in an outside 'pocket' and not in the main body of the backpack.

My kids' backpacks have two big pouches of sorts on either side of their backpacks towards the bottom specifically designed to hold water bottles. My DD's side pouches are actually mesh so I'd describe her water bottle as being 'on' her backpack, not IN it. :crazy:

Also, I thought it was mentioned her name was on the water bottle. :twocents:

Good point about the terminology. I'd probably say 'in' as long as it wasn't out and rolling down the sidewalk, but I sure wouldn't argue with anybody about it.

Yes, it did have her name on it. Thought I mentioned that...sigh. I think I was up too late last night.

Does anyone know if they are still conducting searches for missing parts of her body? :(

I'm concerned that if they don't find all of her, they will not be able to determine COD.

On the police FB, they said they are still conducting searches in open spaces, which I interpret to mean that they may still be looking for parts. Although it could mean they are looking for other kinds of evidence.

The witness knows for a fact that the killer knows where he lives.

In his position, I wouldn't say one single word to the media. And I would scrub the internet to remove as many traces of my family as possible. If I could afford it, I'd get the most reliable security system I could afford.

After looking at the map of where the BP was found and coming to the realization that this person more then likely either lived in superior or had spent some time there I got to thinking about wether or not I know anyone that lives/lived there. It turns out that one of my wifes friends and her kids/husband who moved within blocks of where JR lived about a month ago also used to live in Superior.

Although I don't really like the husband, I don't necessarily think he's the type of person to do something as atrocious as this, but you never really know. Chances are he was at work that day which would clear him immediately.

I brought this up with my wife and she doesn't think it's anything, in fact she called me paranoid. While I agree with her thinking that it's highly unlikely, I also know that it could be some small tip like this that could solve this case very easily.

Have you done anything to determine whether he was, in fact, at work that day? Before saying anything to LE, I would want to have more reason to suspect him than the geographical ones you mention.

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member