CO - Jessica Ridgeway, 10, Westminster, 5 Oct 2012 - #17

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see any comments on the CBS post, were they all removed?

There were only 2 comments on the article, and they were by the same poster. It was the exact same comment twice. It was vile.

My son is Latino/Caucasian mixed and some days he looks white, some days he looks very Latino-- depending on what he's wearing and what time of year it is, in winter/spring he looks much more Caucasian b/c he's not outside as much and he's not as dark as in the summer- so he's considered 'light skinned' but we mark Latino or bi-racial on the race box when we're asked.

I agree using the term "Light skinned" does open up more possibilities and doesn't pigeon hole the public into thinking it's someone who's 'white'.

I am completely confused by the assumption that "light skinned" must mean a person that is probably not caucasian, but is instead hispanic with light skin. I'm not sure if I'm expressing this correctly, but it seems very strange to me. Why hispanic?

Just a thought on the light skin comments: Often times red headed people will have very pale skin. Perhaps they should be on the lookout for a red headed man stalking these parks.

The other night on the Colorado Springs news, they talked about a community (not sure where! sorry!) that has a great idea. They are asking that if you're home at the time when kids are going to or from school, step outside. This is so basic, costs nothing, and would be a great deterrent. Last year, after Calysta Cordova was kidnapped, fathers here in Pueblo were stationed every 50 feet or so along the kids routes to Corwin Elementary. It would be great if we could get people to do this all the time....

That IS a great idea!! In my area there are always people sitting outside in their yards, probably having a cocktail (or an Iced Mocha Coolatta if you're me :), chatting, listening to the radio. Lots of retirees. I used to think it was kind of strange (in part because when I walked by them I hear them cracking jokes about some of the people who walked by) but I've come to appreciate that they're harmless and their "watching people" is likely to do more good than harm. Especially now in the context of what's happened out in CO.

Jessica Ridgeway Case: Police Confirm 'Definitive' Connection Between Ridgeway Murder, Ketner Lake Attempted Abduction

10/23/2012 9:41 am EDT Updated: 10/23/2012 10:17 am EDT

Excerpt: "We are able to say that there is a direct connection between the attempted abduction at Ketner Lake that occurred during the Memorial Day weekend and the Jessica Ridgeway investigation," Westminster police investigator Trevor Materasso said at a news conference.

Materasso would not say what the link is nor would he say if the police believe that suspects in both cases are the same person. "We're limited beyond that to talk in detail or give specifics of how those two connections are made," Materasso said."

Article
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/23/jessica-ridgeway-case-pol_n_2004872.html
Video
http://bcove.me/7sshbpl8

My guess is that the chemical substance was tested in the case of the jogger. The chemical substance was applied to the jogger's face, and the same thing probably happened to Jessica.

I am completely confused by the assumption that "light skinned" must mean a person that is probably not caucasian, but is instead hispanic with light skin. I'm not sure if I'm expressing this correctly, but it seems very strange to me. Why hispanic?

I'm sure people have focused on 'hispanic' because it's been a perp description in other attempts. Hasn't it? Maybe I've just read the theory so many times I'm assuming I saw it in print.

Look at the discussion around the 'Candy man' sketch. It's so generic that I think I could find at least half a dozen men who are close enough to that sketch in my tiny little town.

Another example would be the sketch that was made of Antolin Garcia-Torres after he allegedly attempted to assault two women. While there were quite a few who thought the sketch was a striking resemblance, I thought it looked nothing like him.

The classic example is Ted Bundy. He had one of those faces that changes markedly just by putting on a few pounds or taking them off.

In the nearly five months since the May attempt, this perp has had time to make significant changes to his appearance.

Plus, sketch artists vary widely in their abilities. Some of them really make the suspect depicted come alive and some of them look more like cartoon images.

To me, 'light skinned' doesn't seem confusing.

I think they are pretty sure this guy has either changed or changes his looks, and a sketch would lock people into facial hair, glasses, hats, grown or shaved hair, etc.

Just a thought on the light skin comments: Often times red headed people will have very pale skin. Perhaps they should be on the lookout for a red headed man stalking these parks.

The man that attacked the jogger had brown hair and a baseball cap.

That IS a great idea!! In my area there are always people sitting outside in their yards, probably having a cocktail (or an Iced Mocha Coolatta if you're me :), chatting, listening to the radio. Lots of retirees. I used to think it was kind of strange (in part because when I walked by them I hear them cracking jokes about some of the people who walked by) but I've come to appreciate that they're harmless and their "watching people" is likely to do more good than harm. Especially now in the context of what's happened out in CO.

I was at the playground with my DD and there were 2 sets of unattended kids (12 and under). There was an older man watching from the picnic tables. I hoped he was one of their dad's/ g'pa's or something. But I was playing actively and physically with my DD close to the other kids and the next time I looked, he was gone. I think an adult presence, and a physically adept one, makes a big difference. one who is noticing who's around and what's going on. make eye contact with everyone so they know you see them. even give them a big goofy smile, as if to say, I have seen you (as long as you know you are safe).

Yeah, I saw that too. Hopefully law enforcement is taking a more open-minded approach instead of pigeonholing the investigation and trying to steer group conversations based on who they "hope" it is. Personally, I don't care what demographic group the criminal is from as long as he is apprehended and incarcerated.

yes, I think the typically white male assumption may no longer apply, b/c there is so much cultural mixing for one thing, but also b/c so many people of other cultures have been born and raised in this country/culture. the problems and pathologies of this culture is now part of their experience. unless white men have a genetic flaw that makes them serial killers, I think anyone grown in this culture could become as depraved as any white man.

I was at the playground with my DD and there were 2 sets of unattended kids (12 and under). There was an older man watching from the picnic tables. I hoped he was one of their dad's/ g'pa's or something. But I was playing actively and physically with my DD close to the other kids and the next time I looked, he was gone. I think an adult presence, and a physically adept one, makes a big difference. one who is noticing who's around and what's going on. make eye contact with everyone so they know you see them. even give them a big goofy smile, as if to say, I have seen you (as long as you know you are safe).

Next time, if your cell can take a pic of him, do it. Let him see you do it. This way, you can check your SO list and see if he is on it. If so, take that pic to LE. I don't know how we stop these guys, they get out and reoffend time and time again. There is no cure, so there should be no parole.

On the last thread there were discussions about neighborhood watches being formed, ALWAYS going out in pairs or groups whether it be children or adults, whether it be going to school or out for a jog.

A few thoughts -- I think EVERY group should be documented and confirmed. If a parent is responsible for taking four children to school on Tuesday and Thursday, those four families need to write down the exact plan and stay in touch to confirm that everything went smoothly. Hypervigiliant? Paranoid? I really don't thinks so. Not at all. Necessary, unfortunately. Just put these plans in place, stick to them, and it will take such a short amount of time to do it right and ensure safety while keeping everyone accountable.

Not sure if WPD is out in the community giving guidance to locals that may not be broadcast to the national public, but I would hope they encourage everything to be organized and reported back to WPD. Neighborhood watch groups should be clearly defined in terms of rules, limitations, members, etc. All members should know, for example, NOT TO APPROACH children they don't know and start talking to them UNLESS there is a specific rule in place that is known to the child. Just what they need in that cmty is a neighborhood watch member falsely acting like an abductor (or the actual abductor using the rouse of a NWM). Also if someone who is NOT involved in a given neighborhood watch program attempts to "help" and is unknown, it should be quickly identified and reported to police. So I hope the local neighborhoods and communities are establishing all of this with some clear guidance on the part of WPD. Hopefully the PD has a seperate department handling the public safety vs. tips & the actual case so the community is really being helped more than just through the limited pressers.

All good points. :)

Equally important is teaching your child what to do if they are lost or seperated from you in a public place.

I would write my cell phone number on their wrist when they were too young to memorize it. :blushing: I also told them to find a mommy with kids and ask for help. Being an alert parent or caregiver can usually prevent a need for this.

We do 'what would you do' if someone approaches them or one of their friends.

My youngest are 6 and 8 now and are never unsupervised outside of our fenced back yard.

I'm sure people have focused on 'hispanic' because it's been a perp description in other attempts. Hasn't it? Maybe I've just read the theory so many times I'm assuming I saw it in print.

The only case connected with Jessica is the one at Ketner Park where a chemical substance was used during the attack on a 22 year old jogger. That man has brown hair.

Next time, if your cell can take a pic of him, do it. Let him see you do it. This way, you can check your SO list and see if he is on it. If so, take that pic to LE. I don't know how we stop these guys, they get out and reoffend time and time again. There is no cure, so there should be no parole.

geeze I didn't even think of that. but yah, prevention is key.

Agreed. Having nothing to do with Jessica's story or any in particular, I'm always pretty hypervigilant. I have to remind myself that just because "that person is all alone muttering to themselves at the library "doesn't mean they're going to wind up on the local news for some heinous crime that night. Though ya never know. But you're right -- just making folks aware that YOU'RE aware is effective. Honestly, I take license #s down somewhat regularly. A few weeks ago, in one week I saw THREE cars blow past school buses that were stopped letting kids off with lights flashing and the stop signs off. Called all of them in. Saw a car going 55+ in a 25mph zone residential neighborhood full of kids. Yup, Called that one in too. I hope the locals realize being very aware and persistant will keep them safe and catch this perp, so they're not paralyzed by fear. So much better to call in potentially irrelevant tips than to sort it out in their own mind.

All good points. :)

Equally important is teaching your child what to do if they are lost or seperated from you in a public place.

I would write my cell phone number on their wrist when they were too young to memorize it. :blushing: I also told them to find a mommy with kids and ask for help. Being an alert parent or caregiver can usually prevent a need for this.

We do 'what would you do' if someone approaches them or one of their friends.

My youngest are 6 and 8 now and are never unsupervised outside of our fenced back yard.

for $30 I just bought a toddler tracker that has an alarm if the child gets too far away, and if you page the tracker: http://www.brickhousesecurity.com/product/toddler+tag+child+locator.do?sortby=bestSellers&from=fn.

there are also lots of others as well as GPS devices with panic buttons for older kids. although I'd hate to have to use it, wouldn't it be great of these perps discovered themselves identified by a large crowd when the child's alarm starts going off :) no where to run, nowhere to hide in that situation. there are tools to fight back, and yes, we should use them and know our own power over these perps. cell phone cameras & videos too. Can you imagine how terrified those Aurora perps are right now knowing their car was on tape and they were too? :)
as another poster likes to say "tic toc, tic toc"

they aren't fool proof but they can help, along with being highly alert and conscientious.

The only case connected with Jessica is the one at Ketner Park where a chemical substance was used during the attack on a 22 year old jogger. That man has brown hair.

The attempted abduction/strangulation of the 8 year old boy isn't connected at all?

The attempted abduction/strangulation of the 8 year old boy isn't connected at all?

It doesn't seem like it. No chemical substance was used, the guy was a bald jogger wearing green shoes and he tried to throw a male child over the fence. In the case of the 22 year old jogger, the man that attacked her was not jogging, but walking - first in one direction, then the other. He had brown hair, aged 18-30 with a baseball cap, and has since abducted and murdered a younger girl. If there was a connection, police would have made it by now ... like they have done with the 22 year old jogger.

Jessica Ridgeway Case: Police Confirm 'Definitive' Connection Between Ridgeway Murder, Ketner Lake Attempted Abduction

10/23/2012 9:41 am EDT Updated: 10/23/2012 10:17 am EDT

Excerpt: "We are able to say that there is a direct connection between the attempted abduction at Ketner Lake that occurred during the Memorial Day weekend and the Jessica Ridgeway investigation," Westminster police investigator Trevor Materasso said at a news conference.

Materasso would not say what the link is nor would he say if the police believe that suspects in both cases are the same person. "We're limited beyond that to talk in detail or give specifics of how those two connections are made," Materasso said."

Article
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/23/jessica-ridgeway-case-pol_n_2004872.html
Video
http://bcove.me/7sshbpl8
See Portion of Excerpt BBM

Okay... is the link between the two cases a chemical one? Does LE have the "chemical smelling cloth" that attacker tried to put over the face of the 22 y.o. jogger? If so, did the autopsy of JR's remains show same chemical??? IDK

check this out: GPS plus 5Star tracking and 911 panic button for under $50, and $15/mo plan. I wish they put them in bracelets that can't be easily removed, but that can be removed with a key or code or something.
I often worry that if I needed to call 911 I wouldn't be able to find my phone or get to the keypad and dial 911 fast enough.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/GreatCall-APT220DS00SE-Urgent-Response-Silver/dp/B0077T1YZC/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1351007146&sr=8-5&keywords=gps+child+locator+bracelet"]Amazon.com: 5Star Urgent Response (Silver): Cell Phones & Accessories@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41Zfdm1V6cL.@@AMEPARAM@@41Zfdm1V6cL[/ame]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500