CO - Jessica Ridgeway, 10, Westminster, 5 Oct 2012 - #21

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought that if you murdered someone you get either the death penalty or life in prison. Seriously, they are going to let this guy out to torture and kill again!!?? It's bad enough they let rapists out, who eventually go on to kill - like Brandon Scott Lavergne. But this Sigg guy has already killed, so why let him out? Is it because he's 17?

the article I linked to said that if he is charged (and convicted.. we aren't even there yet) as an adult he can be sentenced to life without parole but it will require a sentencing hearing if that be the case. (re: he is tried and convicted as an adult)

the article also said that in 2005 the supreme court said no death penalty for juveniles (even if tried as an adult).

I am pretty sure is the kid on the rankromcomms page. The one getting all the stuff thrown at him.

http://photos.denverpost.com/2012/10/24/photos-austin-reed-sigg-arrested-in-connection-of-jessica-ridgeway/#29

J***** C**** 17, in his kitchen talks of his relationship with Austin Reed Sigg 17, in his home in Westminster, Colorado Wednesday, October 24, 2012. Joe Amon, The Denver Post

This kid's interview was posted in written form, a thread or 2 ago (I think I posted some stuff). In that article, his name was A, not J.

Janeumayer, what do you mean by getting all the stuff thrown at him?

I thought that if you murdered someone you get either the death penalty or life in prison. Seriously, they are going to let this guy out to torture and kill again!!?? It's bad enough they let rapists out, who eventually go on to kill - like Brandon Scott Lavergne. But this Sigg guy has already killed, so why let him out? Is it because he's 17?

I thought I read in one of the other threads, CO law says he can be tried for the murder as an adult but the can not be tied to the Death Penalty. Someone will probably be able to link you to that post.

Kelly

the rankromcomms videos are all gone?

That may be very telling unless someone told rankromcomms that people were searching him.

When the guy who killed Somer Thompson was identified, all of his internet stuff was taken off of the net.

He was a *advertiser censored* watcher too.

I'm sure ARS was not allowed on the net at home, but no problem to go to a friend's house.

How did he get to college, I wonder? Did he have use of the mother's car everyday and she went to work how?

No huge advantage to being charged as a juvenile, according to that story:

Unless I am miscounting, that's 5 charges at 7 years each to run consecutively. So he'd be getting 35 years as a juvenile vs 40 to life as an adult.

40 years as an adult on one murder charge. They're charging him with two counts of murder (both Jessica) plus three other charges. Hopefully he'll never see the light of day.

Even if convicted and he only ended up with the 40 year max (unlikely due to other charges)-he would only then be allowed to have a parole hearing, from what I understand. He cannot be sentenced to LWOP but he could end up serving life.

This is partly why I think it is important that all details are eventually made public in these cases; forty years down the road, people need to know exactly what he did, so they can take part in the process, i.e. protest parole, etc. Otherwise he might just be seen as someone who happened to commit murder 40 years ago as a teen and probably deserves release. JMO

Does anyone have a link to the friend's interview? I somehow missed it. TIA

----------------
Hi, I was thinking this way also but look at the Manson family. They have tried for years. One finally made it out, which I personally think was wrong. He man try for parole but I dont see him making it til he's very old (like me).
I wouldnt even give him a chance to try.Pure evil..:seeya:

Maybe I am making too much of the Theodore Robert "Ted" Bundy / Austin Reed Sigg, connection.
Imo, Siggs would have known of the history of Coal Creek Canyon, CO. This may be the area where Sigg's safe haven/ritual grounds were located.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_Bundy#Utah.2C_Colorado.2C_Idaho

Theodore Robert "Ted" Bundy (born Theodore Robert Cowell; November 24, 1946 – January 24, 1989) was an American serial killer, rapist, kidnapper, and necrophile..

Melanie Suzanne "Suzy" Cooley, 18, disappeared on April 15, 1975, after leaving Nederland High School in Nederland, Colorado, 50 miles (80 km) west of Denver.[347] Her bludgeoned and strangled corpse was discovered by road maintenance workers two weeks later in Coal Creek Canyon, 20 miles (32 km) away. While gas receipts place Bundy in nearby Golden on the day Cooley disappeared[348] and Cooley is included on the list of Bundy victims in most Bundy literature, Jefferson County authorities say the evidence is inconclusive and continue to treat her homicide as a cold case

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=S...Yv4hrhzHs-AcKMV6FHw&oq=arvada&mra=ls&t=m&z=13
[ame="http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Westminister+High+School,+Westminster,+CO&daddr=Coal+Creek+Canyon,+Jefferson,+CO&hl=en&sll=39.881259,-105.348246&sspn=0.157811,0.220757&geocode=FWOhXwIdaja9-SG6LcnJLuhalSkXmqbNBIhrhzG6LcnJLuhalQ%3BFSuKYAIdaoO4-Sl3o0xfc5RrhzHA8oGlsDGO-g&oq=westminister&mra=ls&t=m&z=11"]Westminister High School to Coal Creek Canyon, CO - Google Maps[/ame]

Interesting, and prolly why Siggs changed his appearance before turning himself in:

Other significant obstacles for law enforcement were Ted Bundy's "generic", essentially anonymous physical features, and a curious "chameleon-like" ability to change his appearance almost at will. Early on, police complained of the futility of showing his photograph to witnesses; he looked different in virtually every photo ever taken of him. In person, "... his expression would so change his whole appearance that there were moments that you weren't even sure you were looking at the same person," said Stewart Hanson, Jr., the judge in the DaRonch trial. "He [was] really a changeling." Bundy was well aware of this unusual quality and he exploited it, using subtle modifications of facial hair or hairstyle to significantly alter his appearance as necessary

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_Bundy#Modus_operandi_and_victim_profiles

Just a quick newbie post on why he'd submit to DNA collection:

Things like that are very common. People consent to a search of their cars all the time when they have illegal things in them. Always blows my mind, but it often happens. Police are intimidating to many people. Many people don't realize they can say no, and if you do say no, it's not like the kind police officer says "Well, thank you sir, I'll just be on my way." I expect there's a combination of simple fact (refusing makes you worth taking a hard look at, and if you're innocent, why go through that or distract the investigation?) and coercion. I'm sure there are legal things they can do to make not complying unpleasant.

A friend of mine told a story once about how he was taken downtown (his words), fingerprinted, blood drawn for DNA, and questioned before he even got around to asking why, or maybe it was actually getting an answer. He was a suspect in a rape. No, he didn't do it, and the actual guilty party was arrested shortly later. Complying with police requests is something most of do on autopilot.

A sentence that anyone (innocent or guilty) should memorise to use as soon as a police officer indicates they want to search the house, the car or the person (DNA): "I want to speak to a lawyer."

The police will tell you that speaking to a lawyer is not in your best interests, that if you just talk to them it will make less of a fuss or just go away. Keep in mind that the police in this country are allowed to lie about certain matters and that they are not really on your side (even if you know you are innocent).

Seven little words that can save a lot of problems, especially if you are innocent: "I want to speak to a lawyer." Say 'em and stick to 'em.

A sentence that anyone (innocent or guilty) should memorise to use as soon as a police officer indicates they want to search the house, the car or the person (DNA): "I want to speak to a lawyer."

The police will tell you that speaking to a lawyer is not in your best interests, that if you just talk to them it will make less of a fuss or just go away. Keep in mind that the police in this country are allowed to lie about certain matters and that they are not really on your side (even if you know you are innocent).

Seven little words that can save a lot of problems, especially if you are innocent: "I want to speak to a lawyer." Say 'em and stick to 'em.

Wanted to add:

Say it before you say anything else at all. Don't say any other words to LE. None.

Once you get a lawyer, if Court appointed, look for one that has your best interests in mind. You can always tell the Judge you need a different lawyer. If a lawyer is appointed and immediately, that day or the next, tells you to take a plea (even though you know you are innocent) that is the wrong lawyer. They don't have any paperwork on your case yet, they know nothing about it. There is no shared Discovery (evidence about the case) yet. Seen that happen thousands of times from the lawyers that are just in it for the paycheck. They do not intend to do any work more than some simple required paperwork and you will be convicted. Sorry, but there are bad lawyers just like there are bad docs, nurses, secretaries, maids, janitors, any position. There are a few good ones out there though.

He hasn't even been tried yet, so it is a little soon to be panicking over whether he's going to be walking the streets. He may not even be guilty or he may be guilty but not of the crimes he was charged with.

Assuming that he's guilty, then he cannot be put to death because he is under 18. The US Supreme Court has ruled that using the death penalty against minors is cruel and unusual punishment.

The US Supreme Court has also ruled that minors cannot be automatically sentenced to life in prison without parole. Every minor who might be subject to life without parole must be given a chance to present mitigating circumstances. After the minor has presented the mitigating circumstances, there is a chance that they can be sentenced to life without parole but it cannot be done automatically.

I should say that I am not a lawyer and the above is just my layperson's understanding, which may not be correct.

40 years as an adult on one murder charge. They're charging him with two counts of murder (both Jessica) plus three other charges. Hopefully he'll never see the light of day.

Most adults who are charged with multiple counts are given sentences that run concurrently. So an adult might get 40 years for each count but they would most likely run concurrently, meaning that the total would be for whatever the highest sentence is.

I was just struck that even if he is tried in juvenile court, the sentence could be almost as long as he might get tried as an adult.

Austin Sigg is an anomaly.

I do not agree with this expert, that broken families, criminal parents and being bullied caused this to do what he did.

Sigg's drive was not a learned behavior. No way can anyone convince me of that.

But Lindley believes they are important words.
“We’re all shocked – all the investigators, everyone who is familiar with this crime,” Lindley said. “But we better expect this in the future. We can’t continue to be surprised when these sorts of crimes are committed.”
Lindley said that sentiment has everything to do with Sigg’s background — a background that is becoming more commonplace among our nation’s youth.
“When we treat our youth like this young man has been treated – he comes from a broken family, his father has been involved in crime, he has been bullied and teased at school – I’m not so sure that we’re not looking at a preface to a book about very troubled youth in our future,” Lindley said.

http://kdvr.com/2012/10/25/criminology-professor-we-need-to-expect-more-austin-siggs-in-future/

<modsnip> I did run across a website for serial killers that already have him listed. They have his priors noted among other things. it's new. All I have to say, it's obvious that he was escalating. I don't think he should have been allowed in the college programs he had been in. JMO.

Austin Sigg is an anomaly.

I do not agree with this expert, that broken families, criminal parents and being bullied caused this to do what he did.

Sigg's drive was not a learned behavior. No way can anyone convince me of that.

I think domestic violence is a learned behavior which translates into how a child views other humans and women.

It's not just about learned behavior. It's how a child is treated and how the child learns to view himself.

It's the family dynamics--guilt, shame, making the child feel like he is not important. So many things that happen in families that pile up to create children who grow up to hate themselves and consequently other humans.

Too complex, but learning about positive parenting would sure make a huge difference in people's lives.

No shaming by parents, teachers and other adults would make an enormous difference, for starters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname