CO - Jessica Ridgeway, 10, Westminster, 5 Oct. 2012 - #24 *GUILTY PLEA*

I just read that when Austin Sigg's DNA was compared to DNA on the backpack and the victim in the park, it did not match. I wonder how that happened! Apparently Sigg thought it would be a match and decided that it was better to confess than have the police choose when to arrest him, but in reality he had been cleared as a suspect.

While I am very happy and grateful for the verdict against Austin Sigg, the DNA mismatch is really bugging me. The following is from the Affidavit in Support of Warrantless Arrest:

"[A] full DNA profile from an unknown subject had been developed from evidence collected from Jessica's backpack. The profile had been entered into the Combined DNA Index System (CODIS). CODIS is a system developed and maintained by the FBI into which crime laboratories can enter DNA evidence for comparison, including evidence collected in cases in which there is no identified suspect. A match was made to a DNA profile already entered into CODIS in a different case.

“On May 28th, 2012, at about 1315, on the trails around Ketner Reservoir, a 22-year-old female jogger was attacked by a male suspect who attempted to cover her mouth with a rag soaked in an unknown substance and to drag her into the underbrush near the trail. The female was able to fight or scare off her attacker, and she then called police. The female described her attaker as a white male, 20-25 years of age, approximately 5’7” to 5’9” tall with an “average” build and brown hair.

“The attacker was not located after an area search and remained unidentified. During the course of his investigation into that case, Detective Michael Lynch collected the shirt the victim was wearing at the time of the attack, and submitted it to the Colorado Bureau of Investigation laboratory for analysis. From an examination of the shirt, CBI analysts were able to develop a full DNA profile from an unknown subject. The DNA profile was submitted to CODIS and later returned a match to the DNA profile from Jessica Rigeway’s backpack.”​

A buccal swab was taken from Austin Sigg after a neighbor tipped off the police to his strange behavior and “a conversation with Mindy Sigg who spoke about concerns of body disposal and DNA issues.” When analysed, the “DNA of Austin Sigg did not match the DNA profile obtained from the swab of Jessica Ridgeway’s torso, nor did it match the DNA profile developed from Jessica Ridgeway’s water bottle or the DNA profile developed from [blacked out] shirt (from Ketner Reservoir).”

If the DNA evidence was accurate enough to match the jogger attack to Jessica's murder, how could it be wrong? Seriously wondering. Whose DNA was it? And why on earth was Mindy Sigg talking to a neighbor about body disposal and DNA issues??

This is disturbing - surely there wasn't anyone else involved, but that is exactly how it seems from the info above.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk 2

This is disturbing - surely there wasn't anyone else involved, but that is exactly how it seems from the info above.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk 2

Do you know if the jogger ever did a line-up ID of Sigg?

While I am very happy and grateful for the verdict against Austin Sigg, the DNA mismatch is really bugging me. The following is from the Affidavit in Support of Warrantless Arrest:

"[A] full DNA profile from an unknown subject had been developed from evidence collected from Jessica's backpack. The profile had been entered into the Combined DNA Index System (CODIS). CODIS is a system developed and maintained by the FBI into which crime laboratories can enter DNA evidence for comparison, including evidence collected in cases in which there is no identified suspect. A match was made to a DNA profile already entered into CODIS in a different case.

“On May 28th, 2012, at about 1315, on the trails around Ketner Reservoir, a 22-year-old female jogger was attacked by a male suspect who attempted to cover her mouth with a rag soaked in an unknown substance and to drag her into the underbrush near the trail. The female was able to fight or scare off her attacker, and she then called police. The female described her attaker as a white male, 20-25 years of age, approximately 5’7” to 5’9” tall with an “average” build and brown hair.

“The attacker was not located after an area search and remained unidentified. During the course of his investigation into that case, Detective Michael Lynch collected the shirt the victim was wearing at the time of the attack, and submitted it to the Colorado Bureau of Investigation laboratory for analysis. From an examination of the shirt, CBI analysts were able to develop a full DNA profile from an unknown subject. The DNA profile was submitted to CODIS and later returned a match to the DNA profile from Jessica Rigeway’s backpack.”​

A buccal swab was taken from Austin Sigg after a neighbor tipped off the police to his strange behavior and “a conversation with Mindy Sigg who spoke about concerns of body disposal and DNA issues.” When analysed, the “DNA of Austin Sigg did not match the DNA profile obtained from the swab of Jessica Ridgeway’s torso, nor did it match the DNA profile developed from Jessica Ridgeway’s water bottle or the DNA profile developed from [blacked out] shirt (from Ketner Reservoir).”

If the DNA evidence was accurate enough to match the jogger attack to Jessica's murder, how could it be wrong? Seriously wondering. Whose DNA was it? And why on earth was Mindy Sigg talking to a neighbor about body disposal and DNA issues??

Based on a few articles (2 posted below), I think that affadavit was prepared prior to Sigg's DNA actually being tested. :moo:

"An early misstep made the day Sigg was arrested caused police to believe his DNA didn't match DNA on Jessica's remains and the jogger, leading detectives to investigate if another male in the family was connected to the crimes. The following day, officers learned Sigg's DNA matched samples collected from the jogger and Jessica's remains."
Read more: Austin Sigg wanted to surrender after Ridgeway killing, mother says - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/ci_23684524/austin-sigg-appear-jefferson-county-court#ixzz2lOCT7LJc
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse
Follow us: @Denverpost on Twitter | Denverpost on Facebook

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_23684524/austin-sigg-appear-jefferson-county-court

"Sigg is also accused of attacking a jogger at Ketner Lake before the Ridgeway death. Originally, Westminster Police thought his DNA did not match that case, but later, they found out that it had not even been tested. Once it was tested, it was a match."
http://www.9news.com/rss/story.aspx?storyid=345754

If you read the released documents you will see that the dna was found to match sigg and connected him to the backpack and the jogger's shirt. There was some kind of error or miscommunication that got rectified.

Based on a few articles (2 posted below), I think that affadavit was prepared prior to Sigg's DNA actually being tested. :moo:

"An early misstep made the day Sigg was arrested caused police to believe his DNA didn't match DNA on Jessica's remains and the jogger, leading detectives to investigate if another male in the family was connected to the crimes. The following day, officers learned Sigg's DNA matched samples collected from the jogger and Jessica's remains."
Read more: Austin Sigg wanted to surrender after Ridgeway killing, mother says - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/ci_23684524/austin-sigg-appear-jefferson-county-court#ixzz2lOCT7LJc
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse
Follow us: @Denverpost on Twitter | Denverpost on Facebook

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_23684524/austin-sigg-appear-jefferson-county-court

"Sigg is also accused of attacking a jogger at Ketner Lake before the Ridgeway death. Originally, Westminster Police thought his DNA did not match that case, but later, they found out that it had not even been tested. Once it was tested, it was a match."
http://www.9news.com/rss/story.aspx?storyid=345754

The thanks button is not enough. THANKS! :loveyou:

If you read the released documents you will see that the dna was found to match sigg and connected him to the backpack and the jogger's shirt. There was some kind of error or miscommunication that got rectified.

Well that's a relief, thanks. For a while my imagination ran wild thinking he had an accomplice who had somehow forced him into remaining silent and accepting all the blame.
I don't know how to word this, but if there has been one positive for the Ridgeway family, it has been that the person responsible for Jessica's death was caught and convicted very quickly - compared to the length of time some other families have to wait.

50bfbc2df2d0b.image.jpg

Thanks for posting that beautiful blast of color, Margarita! My first impression was to break out into a big smile -- and I realized that's just what Jessica would have wanted! So Mr. what's-his-name was not a thought -- just beauty, freshness, Heaven, and a pretty & hope-filled young lady.

May it be so for everyone who sees this picture.

Angels....... 1
Evil........... 0

Not sure if this has been posted yet. A bunch of photos of the investigation have been released.

http://www.9news.com/rss/story.aspx?storyid=365831
"The photos that authorities released are not graphic and include images of Ridgeway's backpack and shots from inside Austin Sigg's home."

While the photos are not graphic, some of them are very disturbing. Knowing the facts in this case, really made me cringe and my heart sink seeing these images. RIP sweet Jessica.

What was the point of including Jessica's notebook saying "Watch out for strangers!"? It looks like it was part of a school exercise where they had to write a sentence with an exclamation point, so not like some journal entry. I could see the media liking something like that because it's sensational, but why was it included as part of the police files? Was it written very shortly before Jessica went missing, and LE thought that maybe she was scared about someone? I am confused about why it was documented...

Now that this case has been wrapped up and we know the details, it's clear that a budding serial killer was stopped after his first victim. Law enforcement and the community went all out to achieve this result.

I drive past the spot where Jessica was found several times a week. At times, there is someone parked out there and looking at the memorial. Rest in peace Jessica. You are gone, but not forgotten.

Now that this case has been wrapped up and we know the details, it's clear that a budding serial killer was stopped after his first victim. Law enforcement and the community went all out to achieve this result.

I drive past the spot where Jessica was found several times a week. At times, there is someone parked out there and looking at the memorial. Rest in peace Jessica. You are gone, but not forgotten.

It's always such a PLUS when one or more of our WS'ers is/are local to the area where part of the crime/trial, etc., occurred. Thanks, Footwarrior, for all you did for our sweet Jessica, her family, your fellow Arvadans/Westminsterians and Websleuths!

The Denver Post article has a fascinating 911 call made by Austin's mom, Mindy to turn him in. The call goes on for about 18 minutes while they wait for the police to arrive.

Dispatcher talks with Austin briefly. He also tells of his involvement in the Kepner Lake incident.

Dispatcher is telling her that the officers enroute are not uniformed patrol officers, they will be in plain clothes. (They sure are slow, imo).

Finally they arrive and the phone call ends.

When police came around to his house as part of a neighborhood-wide sweep to collect DNA samples, Sigg brazenly offered his up - thinking that there was nothing that could trace him back to the crime.

What he didn't know is that police had collected DNA from the attempted abduction of a jogger four months earlier - and that they also had DNA from the urine-soaked clothes that Sigg had stuffed in Jessica's backpack and dumped in town.

When local media reported that police had linked the two cases, Sigg told classmates at school that he felt 'tremendously' ill and 'wobbly,' the Post reports.

That night, he slept in his mother's bed. The next morning, he confessed his crime to Mindy Sigg - who called police.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...d-zip-tying-victims-mother.html#ixzz2mNRt7n7S

The ziptie thing is Fd up. For sure. The slept in mom's bed the night before confessing is not really that freaky to me. When all is messed up in the world, you are in big trouble or very ill, or very hurt, you want your mom. At least I do. The article does not state it was a normal practice (which I would totally find creepy)

When police came around to his house as part of a neighborhood-wide sweep to collect DNA samples, Sigg brazenly offered his up - thinking that there was nothing that could trace him back to the crime.

What he didn't know is that police had collected DNA from the attempted abduction of a jogger four months earlier - and that they also had DNA from the urine-soaked clothes that Sigg had stuffed in Jessica's backpack and dumped in town.

When local media reported that police had linked the two cases, Sigg told classmates at school that he felt 'tremendously' ill and 'wobbly,' the Post reports.

That night, he slept in his mother's bed. The next morning, he confessed his crime to Mindy Sigg - who called police.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...d-zip-tying-victims-mother.html#ixzz2mNRt7n7S

The ziptie thing is Fd up. For sure. The slept in mom's bed the night before confessing is not really that freaky to me. When all is messed up in the world, you are in big trouble or very ill, or very hurt, you want your mom. At least I do. The article does not state it was a normal practice (which I would totally find creepy)

BUT THE ZIP TYING! It's just so...........crazy creepy. Why would his mom allow that? Especially knowing his obsessions with death and decomposition? It is insane that there were no red flags there and that she laughed it off with friends.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztraea
Back