CO - Jessica Ridgeway, 10, Westminster, 5 Oct 2012 - #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is his dad cooperating through all of this? Or is that not an OK question?

Actually I am glad you asked this question. When there are people named in the scanner that have not been named by police or by the media that means that we don't speculate about them up here either. That would be putting legs right on a rumor.

I am glad you asked this question. It is a very valid one.:rocker:

After seeing the map it seems odd that they would meet to walk together at all.

I think if you expand it you can see that it does make sense- because driving to the school is a much longer route. Sounds like the kids meet up at the park and cut through- a logical meeting place for kids in the surrounding streets. /jmho

And YES- I agree- it stinks that J's Dad didn't call Jessica's Mom and say "hey- did we miss you?" but Sarah could have turned off her phone by then. I imagine he is devastated...

Mom said they met at the park. Makes sense to me that Dad would drive J to park and drop him, but JR isn't there, Dad just drops off J, he walks the rest of the way to school. Jessica was taken somewhere between her house and the park.

Dad stated to LE he drove J to school at about 8:40.

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8435263&postcount=2171"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

Trying to keep up but...

Has anybody talked about this boy she was meeting at the park and his relation to Jessica (cousin was it?) and in turn, the parent of this boy (uncle?) and whether he was walking the two children to school?

You have been discussing how he might have been waiting in a car, because of the light snow/sleet, and then drove off and left her, thinking she wasn't coming...

I am looking for someone she would have felt comfortable enough with to get in a car with them. The way they drill "stranger danger" into our kids in our schools in this area, I am still puzzled at how he was able to abduct her so quietly...like if she was snatched off the street, she would have screamed...

:waitasec:

I've been thinking of this too- but she left her pillow pet on the sidewalk (or street, can't tell which). I think she could have been snatched just that quickly. And not everyone screams- it can happen so fast, she might have just been surprised. I think there are some better expert opinions on that on WS.... anyone?

Stranger Danger means also teaching kids to scream, kick, bite, and pull hair- meaning is has to be taught- it is not actual instinct to scream and kick and yell at adults for most (all?) children.

Just doesn't look like a reasonable distance for 10 year olds. Like they would be all over the place instead of just going to school

That seems really far to me too. I don't think it is a good idea to let a 10 yr old walk that far.
But what's done is done.
ETA: I see she was meeting her friend at the park so maybe not walking that far.

Are we sure we have the correct street for J? There is 4 streets with the same name....there is Moore St, Moore Circle, and two Moore Ct.'s right in the area around the school. Never the less....Chelsea Park is still a longer walk for Jessica than just heading straight to the school. Are we sure they werent meeting at Mayflower Park by the school?

ETA- I'm wrong. I had the houses confused on the map.

What if:
"Hey Jessica....yeah we're going to walk over today. But we might be a little late because we have to run to the store and pick up some peanut butter. Tell you what. Instead of meeting us in the park, how about coming over here to the house. If we're not here, just wait on us. If we're running way behind, I'll just drive you guys. How's that?"

Jessica goes over and waits....till 8:45....when the car pulls in the drive. Great they're finally here, back from the store. But its not "they."

I'm not saying that's how it happened at all....I'm just saying that's a scenario. I'm sure one out of many we could think up.

http://kdvr.com/2012/10/09/family-of-jessica-ridgeway-makes-first-public-statement/

"Sarah described a conversation she had with Jessica about taking a recently-introduced bus service to school this year. Instead, Sarah said, Jessica made a plan with her older cousin J<modsnip> to walk to school every day."

ETA: I thought he was a 10 year old 5th grader also. ???

Crud! :doh: Sorry Nurse! Forgot to edit out the name.

Anxious parents kept close and protective watch over their children on Friday after the FBI warned them that a 10-year-old girl who vanished one week earlier may have been abducted by someone they know.

The sense of dread and suspense was magnified in the quiet Denver suburb of Westminster as residents waited for police to release the identity of a body found in a nearby park.

####

Investigators said they expected to identify the body on Friday.

The FBI urged residents to be alert for people they know who might have suddenly changed their appearance or uncharacteristically missed work or appointments.

“It could be your boss, it could be your friend, and ultimately it could be your family member,” FBI spokesman Dave Joly said.

“We suspect someone in the community knows this individual,” he said.

Signs of the tragedy were everywhere in Jessica’s neighborhood of modest two-story homes with single-car garages.

During the past week, officers have searched homes, combed yards and looked in bushes. They kept guard at crosswalks and photographed cars entering the neighborhood. Mailboxes and trees were encircled by ribbons in Jessica’s favorite color, purple.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...2a710e-1403-11e2-9a39-1f5a7f6fe945_story.html

Might just be me but, after so many days of frequent twitter and information updates it seems unusually slow today. Although, I am sure this case is still moving at warp speed for LE! Westminster PD has been outstanding in their efforts!!

I think if you expand it you can see that it does make sense- because driving to the school is a much longer route. Sounds like the kids meet up at the park and cut through- a logical meeting place for kids in the surrounding streets. /jmho

And YES- I agree- it stinks that J's Dad didn't call Jessica's Mom and say "hey- did we miss you?" but Sarah could have turned off her phone by then. I imagine he is devastated...

If the map is correct and she and he both live where is listed there it makes no sense for her to go to that park to meet him. It's out of her way and a longer walk just to get to the park than it is to get to the school.

ETA- never mind I had the houses confused on the map.

Is there suppose to be a presser today? If so, do we know an approximate time?

Thanks!

maybe his dad drove him to the park...

we just don't know these things from one call on the scanner.

Right. We know that J & his dad left their house at 8:40 (as reported in scanner rewind). From same scanner..we know that J's dad said they waited for her. What we don't know is...did they leave at 8:40 and go to park and wait? Or wait for her at the house until 8:40 and then head directly to the school. At least that is what I personally see as the unknown factor here. ::::sigh:::

Are we sure we have the correct street for J? There is 4 streets with the same name....there is Moore St, Moore Circle, and two Moore Ct.'s right in the area around the school. Never the less....Chelsea Park is still a longer walk for Jessica than just heading straight to the school. Are we sure they werent meeting at Mayflower Park by the school?

Yes, Jessica lives on Moore ST per the scanner transmission and also confirmed via whitepages.com.

I understood things to have happened a little differently. It is likely just due to the subjectivity of hearing and interpretation of things.

This is how I read the info:

Jessica called to confirm with the friend that he would be walking to school. She spoke with his father, who confirmed that he would be walking to school.

The mention of the 7:40 comes up later when the police verify that he actually received a call at that time. He did receive a call, from a restricted/ unknown number, which they then concluded was SR's cell phone number.

The father said he and his son waited around for twenty minutes and then when JR did not show up, he drove him to school.( My inference was that the dad may typically wait to make sure his son gets off to school with the friends he walks with)

Then later in the day, the friends father received a call from the landline at JR's home. (around 4:30)

(The LE mentioned something which led me to believe they checked out the phone pings or records of the friend's father to verify his account of things)

http://kdvr.com/2012/10/09/family-of-jessica-ridgeway-makes-first-public-statement/

"Sarah described a conversation she had with Jessica about taking a recently-introduced bus service to school this year. Instead, Sarah said, Jessica made a plan with her older cousin J<modsnip> to walk to school every day."

ETA: I thought he was a 10 year old 5th grader also. ???

So J is her cousin and J's dad is her uncle? And her uncle wasn't worried when she didn't show up? He didn't go to her house to find out where she was??? This is even stranger to me now.

Aurelio Florez, who has lived in Jessica's neighborhood for six years, said it was shocking that Jessica could have vanished during a two-block walk to a park where she usually met friends before continuing on to school.

"You can see the park from her front door," he said.

Fliers about the fifth-grader were posted on nearly every house in her neighborhood of modest, two-story homes with single-car garages. Purple ribbons, a symbol of hope for her return, were tied around trees.

It was a lively area where children played outdoors, said another neighbor, Luis Pena, but since Jessica disappeared, parents are keeping their children inside and people look at each other with suspicion.

"Nobody trusts anybody anymore," he said.

http://www.ironmountaindailynews.co...g-missing-Colorado-girl-.html?isap=1&nav=5023

For those asking about the timeline I highly suggest reading the scanner rewind post. It cleared up a lot of my own confusion:

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8435263&postcount=2171"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500