CO CO - Kayleah Wilson, 12, Greeley, 28 March 2010 - #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very obvious to me the two didn't have a 'healthy' relationship - Don't think it would take much to put one over on Kayleah, a 12yo and an 18yotogether, often have one dynamic at work - power and control. Wonder if he has a history of violence?

Nice chatting with everyone - see you later. :blowkiss:

Which brings up another question.... When did the mother stop the "relationship," if police believe that it continued up to the day Kayleah was abducted?

When she found out about it, which was in February.

when Kayleah's mother — April Wilson — found out about the relationship in February, she forced the two to break up

http://www.denverpost.com/commented/ci_15139047?source=commented-news

That's what she said in the video interview IIRC back when it was first talked about. I'm looking for the video.

All those rules are stupid. A sensible legal requirement should be based on when someone could reasonably be expected to be adequately informed to consent. Sex is sex and age differentials qualifications are absurd. Everyone knows that a 15 or 16 year old knows enough about sex to give informed consent, but we just don't want them boffing someone our age. On the other hand they are going to follow their biological instinct and do it anyway, so we instead create all these qualifications. Most people aren't virgins when they turn 18, which means that in (at least some states) most people have engaged in illegal sexual activity. In places like Florida or California it is pretty hyopcritical for most people to argue about these things. I think 14 is reasonable age, most 14 year olds know enough what sex is and what is expected of them (or should, unless their parents and schools have been derelict in their responsibilities), but 12 is too young.

You say age differentials are absurd, and that a 14, 15, 16 year old can reasonably be expect to be adequately informed, and know enough of what sex is and what's expected of them, to give consent to sex with whom? A 17 year old? 18 year old? 21 year old? 40 year old?

bbm

That is exactly the kind of things the FBI said to watch for.
Absolutely. The article title described him as "acting weird". If the relationship had really been over for a while, and if he had nothing to do with her disappearance, there shouldn't be any change in behavior. But this way it looks like he knew LE would be uncovering something, whether it's the charges he's currently facing, or worse. MOO

I don't know if RM is a pedophile...but it still seems like he has some issues if he would be interested in a 12-year old sixth grader. But it is true she did not look like a 12-yr old, in that I mean she did not look like a very young child as generally attracts a pedophile...she looked like a young teenager. I wonder what they could have had in common, that is a big age gap at that time of your life; not so much later on.

My mom met my dad when she was 15 and he was 20 and the did not marry for another 8 years, and stayed married for over 55 years, but she started college at 15, so at least they were in the same peer group...these two were eons apart, middle school vs. senior in high school (I assume?)

It is common knowledge that it is illegal for a 17 year old to have sex with a 12-year-old. The guy couldn't have thought having sex with her was legal or right. He took advantage of a little girl who was attracted to him and he should pay for the crime. IMO

Shelly Culver, if we can mention her her since she is quoted in the article above, is a friend of Mckenzie's, not Kayleah's. She was interviewed back in March. I saw she was linked to Kayleah's old FB page at one time and looked at her (SC) page. She mentioned Kayleah back in late March when she was interviewed and mentioned her again this week, with nothing in between. She refers to Kayleah as her "little sis". She must have been re-interviewed this week or wanted to tell press about RM once he was arrested.
I think she is 18...she had something on her FB page about turning 18 at one point, will check to be sure...let me know, or delete this post if not ok, thanks...

You say age differentials are absurd, and that a 14, 15, 16 year old can reasonably be expect to be adequately informed, and know enough of what sex is and what's expected of them, to give consent to sex with whom? A 17 year old? 18 year old? 21 year old? 40 year old?

How about this. Nobody can have sex under the age of 16. Cut, dry. Period. All this 4 years older or 10 years old stuff is ridiculous.

And if it's legal for two children four years apart to have sex, let's say a 12 year old boy who is able to "perform" with an 8 year old girl, is it legal for people to watch this?

I can just imagine there are sick adults encouraging children of that age to engage in sexual activity so they can watch.

I'm sorry if this sound off the wall but it's Colorado's laws that say this is OK!

It is common knowledge that it is illegal for a 17 year old to have sex with a 12-year-old. The guy couldn't have thought having sex with her was legal or right. He took advantage of a little girl who was attracted to him and he should pay for the crime. IMO

:applause: :applause: :applause:

I know, the laws are nuts...and CO does seem more backward than most...I wonder when it was last reviewed and if it is time to do so again soon and just make it a flat age like most states.
In any case, 12-yr old were never meant to be having sex, clearly, in any state, no matter how badly some of the laws are worded. And a 17-year old should know that it is against the law, I agree, but do not agree that it makes him a pedophile,
I think there is a distinction there, IMO

How about this. Nobody can have sex under the age of 16. Cut, dry. Period. All this 4 years older or 10 years old stuff is ridiculous.

And if it's legal for two children four years apart to have sex, let's say a 12 year old boy who is able to "perform" with an 8 year old girl, is it legal for people to watch this?

I can just imagine there are sick adults encouraging children of that age to engage in sexual activity so they can watch.

I'm sorry if this sound off the wall but it's Colorado's laws that say this is OK!

CO's laws say it's okay to watch a 12 yr old and an 8 yr old have sex??????

CO's laws say it's okay to watch a 12 yr old and an 8 yr old have sex??????

What I am saying that Colorado law says that it's OK for a 12 year old and an 8 year old to have sex, that's it's acceptable if the involved parties, under the age of 15, are four years apart!

Is there a law that says it's illegal to watch legal sex?

I think we're getting off-topic to this thread. I think we need to stick with the circumstances of this case, a 12 year old girl and a 17/18 year old boy.

We could have a whole forum about all these issues and all these laws. It's very complex, with many facets.

I apologize for my part in getting away from focusing on Kayleah.

Anyway, I just want to say...poor Kayleah. We don't know if RM did this to her or someone else, but it is a horrendous crime and I feel as though LE will find and charge the proper person or persons...
Bless her little heart...

When she found out about it, which was in February.

when Kayleah's mother — April Wilson — found out about the relationship in February, she forced the two to break up

http://www.denverpost.com/commented/ci_15139047?source=commented-news

That's what she said in the video interview IIRC back when it was first talked about. I'm looking for the video.

Thanks for that answer. I had wondered how long it had gone on before she found out.

They were "involved", then, from "fall" to February - or at the most four months - before Mom ended it. Police believe, though, that it continued until the day she died, if that's what the charges about from January 18 to March 28 mean.

It's coming together into a timeline. Thanks, Bean!

I know, the laws are nuts...and CO does seem more backward than most...I wonder when it was last reviewed and if it is time to do so again soon and just make it a flat age like most states.
In any case, 12-yr old were never meant to be having sex, clearly, in any state, no matter how badly some of the laws are worded. And a 17-year old should know that it is against the law, I agree, but do not agree that it makes him a pedophile,
I think there is a distinction there, IMO
Since at 17 y/o the person is still a minor, maybe he didn't know it was against the law. Once he crossed over after his 18th birthday, then it really became a problem. In any event though, I don't agree with a 12 y/o having a boyfriend and sexual relations with said boyfriend, no matter how old he is. MOO

Thanks for that answer. I had wondered how long it had gone on before she found out.

They were "involved", then, from "fall" to February - or at the most four months - before Mom ended it. Police believe, though, that it continued until the day she died, if that's what the charges about from January 18 to March 28 mean.

It's coming together into a timeline. Thanks, Bean!
I'm not sure if LE knows exactly when the sexual activity ended, but they have worded it so as to include all possibilities. Her mother states she found out in February, so that is clearly after Montoya turned 18 y/o on January 18. MOO

On April MS page, she posted the video of the kids dancing, etc, in Oct 09...I wonder if Kayleah and RM were already an item then? It looked like her brother and a girl were dancing and then RM was there and Kayleah? did anyone else watch it? It is very hard to see, very blurry...maybe she thought they were just friends but they started up dating or whatever you want to call it, back then? And never really stopped at all...

On April MS page, she posted the video of the kids dancing, etc, in Oct 09...I wonder if Kayleah and RM were already an item then? It looked like her brother and a girl were dancing and then RM was there and Kayleah? did anyone else watch it? It is very hard to see, very blurry...maybe she thought they were just friends but they started up dating or whatever you want to call it, back then? And never really stopped at all...

bbm

I watched them.

ruby, I could not get much from the videos...was there anything that seemed out of line? I saw some dancing and at least one guy take off his shirt...

Kayleah Janelle Wilson Obituary

Kayleah Janelle Wilson was born June 27, 1997 in Westminster, Colorado to Michael and April (Garcia) Wilson.

Kayleah attended Brentwood Middle School in Greeley. She attended several churches in the Greeley area including Journey Christian Church and Abundant Life Fellowship. She was very creative, Kayleah enjoyed jewelry making, drawing and making bath salts with her mother. She had a love for plants and flowers. Kayleah had a special liking for Celtic music, she dreamed of someday visiting Ireland.

Kayleah is survived by her parents, April Wilson of Greeley and Michael Wilson of California; brothers, Mackenzie Jamison and Jesse Wilson both of Greeley; grandmother, Brenda Jamison of Greeley; grandfather, Joe Garcia of Denver; aunts, Jackie Wilson of California and Jessica Bedgood of New York; numerous aunts, uncles and cousins.

Kayleah is preceded by her grandfather, Tom Jamison.

Kayleah's family would like to express their sincere appreciation to the community for their support during this difficult time.

Memorial service 2 p.m. Tuesday at the Clarion Hotel Ballroom, 701 8th Street, Greeley.

Leave online condolences at the link:
http://www.legacy.com/dignity-memorial/obituary.aspx?n=Kayleah-Wilson&lc=4184&mid=4261238

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member