CO - Luz Franco Fierros, 49, dragged to death, Castle Rock, 18 Sept 2006

LovelyPigeon said:
Never, ever, EVER am I in favor of inflicting the same kind of torture on anyone that I abhor having been used on their victim.

I hope this is a case of accidental death, with an attempted cover up after the fact. However, if it's a case of intentional murder, I hope the legalities that require a conviction on evidence and a sentence that does NOT include cruel and unusual punishment will prevail.

As someone else has so wisely pointed out, an eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind.
From the link that Elberethe posted earlier, it sounds like she was alive when she was put behind the car and dragged to death. In part, the article states:

"An autopsy indicated the woman died of asphyxiation and head injuries from being dragged."

It sounds like this woman was murdered in a cruel and unusual manner.

LovelyPigeon said:
Never, ever, EVER am I in favor of inflicting the same kind of torture on anyone that I abhor having been used on their victim.

I hope this is a case of accidental death, with an attempted cover up after the fact. However, if it's a case of intentional murder, I hope the legalities that require a conviction on evidence and a sentence that does NOT include cruel and unusual punishment will prevail.

As someone else has so wisely pointed out, an eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind.
I repectfully disagree--- an eye for an eye could perhaps open more eyes--and dont get me wrong- I dont want people dragged thru the cities as this monster did-- but how is it the victims pains are never felt- only those found guilty of the crime-
if the facts, as presented are true-- can you imagine in your wildest dreams the torture and fear of having a strap place around your neck, then tied to a truck/car and then dragged.......:twocents:

I think it's our fault. We need to open a dialog with the asphyxiation and dragging community, so we can understand their greivances and learn to live in a way that we don't continue to offend them. Our way of life is by no means superior to theirs. </irony>
:doh: why didnt I think of that? :D

I would think that death came fairly quickly for this woman. I think a person would lose consciousness pretty quickly with a noose attached to a moving car around their neck. I hope this was the case for this woman. I wonder what level of violence she endured from this man in the time leading up to her murder.

what on earth makes you think it was "accidental"?? the guy "accidently" dragged his girlfriend BY A ROPE for miles and miles across town, and didn't notice?? YEAH RIGHT!! like how could you possibly not notice a BODY dragging behind your truck?? it's one thing to give someone the benefit of the doubt, but this is ridiculous!

an eye for an eye might make the 'whole world blind', but at least it would get the perverts and psycho-killers off the streets. some people do not deserve to live on this earth in civilized society, and i'm not afraid to say so. why should i be?

I have always thought the fear of having a penalty fit the crime by matching it in a relative way acted as a detrament to the crime being committed in the first place.

http://www.danielnpaul.com/Col/1994/JusticeSystemMustProtect.html

" . . . .Saudi Arabia and Singapore practice an eye for an eye in their justice system and, because of it, have realized two of the lowest crime rates in the world. Although I do not advocate the severity of the penalties passed out by those two countries, I certainly think that punishment should fit the crime. . ." snipet

With the influx of troops in the Middle East, it has undoubtedly altered the crime rate statistics, as different crimes like shootings happen more often. But in these societies the eye for an eye, hand for a hand principle of justice seems to have been quite effective.

Are we simply more civilized than they are to not deal with crime like they do in such a base way? Or as the center of civilization, are they really more in tune with what is a justice system that works.

At noon every day in the center square of Tehran, this is what they did in the mid 60's. I bet they still do it in a similar way.

Scandi

CASTLE ROCK, Colorado (AP) -- A man was arrested in the gruesome dragging death of a woman after a stained and tattered photograph of him was found at the crime scene, police said Wednesday.

Jose Luis Rubi-Nava, 36, was arrested Tuesday night on suspicion of murder and jailed without bail.

Investigators said they were still trying to identify the victim, who was dragged behind a vehicle with a rope, leaving a trail of blood more than a mile long.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/09/20/woman.dragged.ap/index.html

This is an absolutely heart wrenching crime. I know all crimes are, but I just keep thinking if this dear woman was alive, and knew her fate as she was being tied to the car...I just pray that God took her "very quickly" into his Loving Arms.

The man is an illegal alien from Mexico. Wonder if they'll send him back and he'll get a slap on the hand.

txsvicki said:
The man is an illegal alien from Mexico. Wonder if they'll send him back and he'll get a slap on the hand.
This guy should be sent back. Let the Mexicans put him in jail and pay for it.Although with the corruption in that place he will probably go free. What a putrid piece of Chit this guy is.Poor woman killed in a truly horrendous manner.I remember reading about a similar thing with an African/ American fellow about 10 years ago.Truly evil.

LovelyPigeon said:

Well, next time I accidently kill someone, I'll remember to put a rope around their neck and drag them down the road so it looks like a case of intentional murder. :furious: <sarcasm>

Well, I agree with you, but watch the usual suspects come to his defense.
Boy, ain't that the truth about the usual suspects!:banghead:

First degree murder charges, a possible confession, and possible identification of the victim as Luz Maria Franco Fierro, a 50-year-old from the southern Mexican state of Guerrero.

Man ID'd from photo
Station cites officials claiming confession was made in slaying

By Bianca Prieto and Ivan Moreno, Rocky Mountain News
September 21, 2006

Douglas County sheriff's deputies said Wednesday that they arrested Jose Luis Rubi-Nava on suspicion of first-degree murder in connection with the death of a woman whose body was found early Monday in the Surrey Ridge subdivision.

CBS 4 News reported that authorities said Rubi-Nava confessed to the slaying during an interview Tuesday with a Spanish- speaking interrogator from the Colorado Bureau of Investigation. --->>

However, a close family friend and roommate said he believes the victim is Luz Maria Franco Fierro, a 50-year-old from the southern Mexican state of Guerrero.

Cesar Gustavo Garcia Flores, 20, who said he's known Fierro most of his life, said he sometimes saw her and Rubi-Nava arguing. Flores said he lived with Rubi-Nava, Fierro and another male roommate in a Glendale apartment complex.

"He hit her once and she kicked him out of the apartment a couple of times," said Flores.

Speaking in Spanish, Flores said he once heard Fierro tell Rubi-Nava, "Get out of here. Either you're going to kill me or I'm going to kill you."
--->>

Zulma Pulgarin, 31, who lived on the same floor as the victim, said Fierro and Rubi-Nava argued like any other couple. Sometimes after their arguments, Pulgarin said Fierro would tell her, "He's back, and he even did the laundry for me."

Pulgarin said Fierro told her she was happy with Rubi-Nava, despite her knowledge that he has a wife and children in Mexico.

The woman in the photo with Rubi-Nava is his wife, according to Flores and Pulgarin. Flores said when he saw that picture in news reports, he was certain Rubi-Nava had killed Fierro. The picture also prompted Fierro's co-workers at a fast-food restaurant to call the police, Flores said.
--->>

http://www.insidedenver.com/drmn/local/article/0,1299,DRMN_15_5010013,00.html

scandi said:
I have always thought the fear of having a penalty fit the crime by matching it in a relative way acted as a detrament to the crime being committed in the first place.

http://www.danielnpaul.com/Col/1994/JusticeSystemMustProtect.html

" . . . .Saudi Arabia and Singapore practice an eye for an eye in their justice system and, because of it, have realized two of the lowest crime rates in the world. Although I do not advocate the severity of the penalties passed out by those two countries, I certainly think that punishment should fit the crime. . ." snipet

With the influx of troops in the Middle East, it has undoubtedly altered the crime rate statistics, as different crimes like shootings happen more often. But in these societies the eye for an eye, hand for a hand principle of justice seems to have been quite effective.

Are we simply more civilized than they are to not deal with crime like they do in such a base way? Or as the center of civilization, are they really more in tune with what is a justice system that works.

At noon every day in the center square of Tehran, this is what they did in the mid 60's. I bet they still do it in a similar way.

Scandi
"Justice" in these areas is barbaric, lending to the pervasive atmosphere of fear for its citizens. State-sponsored public killings and mutilations may lead to lower crime statistics, but they erode away at the outrage humans should feel when other humans are murdered and mutilated. I would never want to live in one of these places - that's for sure.

I am incapable of understanding eye-for-an-eye justice, though I know it sits well for some people.

I think it's our fault. We need to open a dialog with the asphyxiation and dragging community, so we can understand their greivances and learn to live in a way that we don't continue to offend them. Our way of life is by no means superior to theirs. </irony>

/snicker :bang:

Also, can we take the eye for an eye discussion to a more appropriate thread? Obviously, has nothing to do with this case (as much as we wish). I'm sure he will be prosecuted and sentenced by US law. I do believe his illegal status will not hinder that process. Perhaps one of our more knowledgable care to comment on that.

txsvicki said:
I may be wrong here (which never happens..wink, wink) but I think that he will be tried here and serve his sentence here. If and when he were to be released, he would be deported back to his country. Anybody??

bakerprune64 said:
I may be wrong here (which never happens..wink, wink) but I think that he will be tried here and serve his sentence here. If and when he were to be released, he would be deported back to his country. Anybody??
This is my understanding, also.

Great. We get to feed him, clothe him, and provide healthcare services to him all at no charge. Only to have him deported when his sentence is up so we can't even get cheap labor out of his sorry *advertiser censored*. He probably feels like he hit the freakin' lottery.

so now,, he'll go back to mexico, and be free to turn right around & come back here again.. which i'm sure he will, knowing the sad state of affairs, with our pathetically spineless govt. we are dealing with at the moment.

ISPTRAX said:
Great. We get to feed him, clothe him, and provide healthcare services to him all at no charge. Only to have him deported when his sentence is up so we can't even get cheap labor out of his sorry *advertiser censored*. He probably feels like he hit the freakin' lottery.
Well that would be assuming that he ever get's out.

reb said:
so now,, he'll go back to mexico, and be free to turn right around & come back here again.. which i'm sure he will, knowing the sad state of affairs, with our pathetically spineless govt. we are dealing with at the moment.

He is currently being detained on charges of 1st Degree murder. I have seen nothing to lead me to believe he is going to be set free or sent to Mexico. In fact, I'm inclined to believe we will prosecute him even though he is an illegal alien. Waiting for more informed to show up and confirm that.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndieLiz
Back