NH NH - Maura Murray, 21, Haverhill, 9 Feb 2004 #15

1st time posting, just finished media pressure along with a bunch other podcast about maura. have had a lot of thoughts throughout them I'll say what I think may of happened and leave some of the other things for another post:

Maura didnt want to go with Butch who was a big, intimating fella. She also knew he most likely would call cops on her. Even though he wasn't law enforcement, bus drivers usually are go by the rules type of peoples.

So once he leaves she gathers what she deems important (booze, backpack etc) and starts walking down 112... i think towards butchs' house or turns on bradley hill road (looking for cell service)...
while she is walking/jogging she realizes there isnt squat in that direction for miles, she gets picked up by the next passerby (could be a decent looking man in 20/30s).... once she gets in the car something happens accidently to no fault of the driver and maura dies

the person who picked up maura panics and now she is buried out there somewhere. MOOOOOOOO

(I am very open to other scenarios, le involvement, woods etc.., I think in this case anything is possible, Maura had her flaws but she seems like a lot of other college age kids) Respect to Maura, her family and the people who live in that 112 area who have had their names dragged through the mud)
Not a bad theory but there are issues.

For instance, WHAT would have happened to her in the car? Kidnapped? Murdered by the driver?!

It's possible, but unlikely, I think. What, the one car that stops is the one car that killed her?

I think Maura would be too untrusting and private to get into a stranger's car. Who's to say they wouldn't have turned her over to the cops? She'd been drinking and driving.

And also where was she going to hitchhike TO?! What was she going to tell the driver was her destination?!

Maura was very secretive, and kept a lot to herself, and didn't want anyone to know what she was doing.....hence fleeing from everything and everyone, and not getting help in Haverhill - which was readily available and more populated than other places nearby.

Although she was a very terrible driver in the days before her disappearance. I don't actually think she hit PV because she was at work when it happened if I remember correctly. I will admit it doesn't make it impossible but unlikely. I was using it as something that might explain your theory.

But didn't she disappear from her work for a bit? Then came back all shaken and crying?

Also, to note she wasn't just a terrible driver before her disappeaeance, but during her disappeaeance....as that was what also contributed to her final crash.

Most people don't have that many car accidents in a life time and she had 3 in 2 weeks.....

But didn't she disappear from her work for a bit? Then came back all shaken and crying?

Also, to note she wasn't just a terrible driver before her disappeaeance, but during her disappeaeance....as that was what also contributed to her final crash.

Most people don't have that many car accidents in a life time and she had 3 in 2 weeks.....
I count that as before she disappeared because she was seen and talked to after it happened so not quite disappeared yet. I can't recall if her stepping out of work was the same night as the "phone call from her sister" when she was freaking out.

It was from an episode of a crime and justice based podcast show called Media Pressure

On Episode 7 (of Media Pressure) MM’s sister says (regarding the father’s lawsuit for the case records):
“Although we didn't gain access to most of the records, we did learn some valuable information as a result of the court case. We learned four polygraphs were administered, one wire tap was requested, grand jury subpoenas were issued, and police logs and dispatch records were withheld because they could pinpoint a suspect.”

Thank you for sharing!

The wiretap is so interesting to me. I notice also that it was only requested... so does that mean that LE was granted permissions to bug (what I am assuming to be) a phone? Or does that mean there was sufficient evidence to warrant a wiretap? Either way, I think either option points to LE knowing that MM didn't simply walk into the cold woods.

it might not of neccessarily happened in the car... the driver could of put a move on her at his house, and she rejected it.

We also are assuming she was drinking, but we dont have proof of it.

As far as where she told them, it may of been somewhere she had called earlier... But with the accident she needed to call triple A and deal with the car now.

What a Mystery

The wiretap is so interesting to me. I notice also that it was only requested... so does that mean that LE was granted permissions to bug (what I am assuming to be) a phone? Or does that mean there was sufficient evidence to warrant a wiretap? Either way, I think either option points to LE knowing that MM didn't simply walk into the cold woods.
Yes, the news that LE/FBI requested a wiretap/bug on someone's phone line is absolutely astonishing.

I'm wondering on whom.....

Her boyfriend Bill?
Her sister?
Her father?
The phone line of the local police? (We know some dispatch records from on the night of the crash were also withheld from being given to the family by the courts, so there's something going on there....)

But weren't open and empty containers found in her crashed car in Haverhill?

Yes! For me, it's the biggest mystery on Websleuths! So many paths and tangents and more tangents.....

I guess no one really knows for sure, all depends on if you take the polices word for everything. I know they said the franzi wine was all smashed up, but those containers needs a lot of force to break from my understanding.

I'd wonder why the red stains were never tested, it could of been car fluid, wine, or blood.

Agreed, this one and the Dr. Phillips (missing on 9/11) I just find so fascinating and heart breaking.

I’m leaning more toward Maura having presented with physical/neurological symptoms that went unchecked because she was such a likable, overachieving, girl. It could be a burgeoning manic episode also, even though her behaviour isn’t *that* bizarre. Brain tumor, something ocular, something that would have made her life progressively more challenging despite all her qualities.

I’m leaning more toward Maura having presented with physical/neurological symptoms that went unchecked because she was such a likable, overachieving, girl. It could be a burgeoning manic episode also, even though her behaviour isn’t *that* bizarre. Brain tumor, something ocular, something that would have made her life progressively more challenging despite all her qualities.
Yes, her behavior was increasingly bizarre over the course of those last 2 to 3 weeks, and that's something that has been around even back from when she was at the army college in NY. (She was reprimanded for stealing from the store, as I recall?) That is something which she had no need to do, and jeopardized her prestigious army officer career.

So, she isn't unknown to have random acts of bizarre behaviour, although I think this may stem from MH issues that are psychological in nature, and not physiological.

Yes, her behavior was increasingly bizarre over the course of those last 2 to 3 weeks, and that's something that has been around even back from when she was at the army college in NY. (She was reprimanded for stealing from the store, as I recall?) That is something which she had no need to do, and jeopardized her prestigious army officer career.

So, she isn't unknown to have random acts of bizarre behaviour, although I think this may stem from MH issues that are psychological in nature, and not physiological.
Yes, that was my first guess. But her behaviour seems more in line with belated consuct disorder or some personality disorder rather than a break from reality (bipolar, schizophrenia, schizoaffective…).

even so, nothing in her strange behaviour seems manipulative or planned.

But I’m not a psychiatrist so enough with the guessing.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ari76
Back