CO CO - Margaret 'Peggy' Beck, 16, Jefferson Co, 18 Aug 1963

I went down a rabbit hole. There are two Ray Taylors listed as living in Nevada, both in their 80's. The one in Reno has a relative with the initials TT. When I googled her, I came up with an article from 2019 where her daughter died of a drug overdose in the Reno area. TT's nose looks exactly like James Raymond Taylors. Continuing to search for more info on Ray in Reno. The other Ray is in the Las Vegas area if someone wants to research him.

I went down a rabbit hole. There are two Ray Taylors listed as living in Nevada, both in their 80's. The one in Reno has a relative with the initials TT. When I googled her, I came up with an article from 2019 where her daughter died of a drug overdose in the Reno area. TT's nose looks exactly like James Raymond Taylors. Continuing to search for more info on Ray in Reno. The other Ray is in the Las Vegas area if someone wants to research him.

This appears to be a dead end. It appears he died in 1992 and is buried in Roseville, CA. My sleuthing skills are rusty.

I'm sorry, I did not mean that I found him, I meant that the James Taylor from Reno died in 1992 and does not appear to be the James R. Taylor the police are looking for.

Does anyone know where the suspect grew up? I have another possible lead but need to know where he was born. Is anyone in touch with LE on this?

I'm sorry, I did not mean that I found him, I meant that the James Taylor from Reno died in 1992 and does not appear to be the James R. Taylor the police are looking for.

Does anyone know where the suspect grew up? I have another possible lead but need to know where he was born. Is anyone in touch with LE on this?

Oh - okay - I mis-read your post! :rolleyes: Don't know the answers to your questions, - sorry! Maybe someone else will chime in! :)

Margaret-Beck.jpeg

Margaret “Peggy” Beck
Circa 1963
Photo from Colorado Bureau of Investigation

DNA testing identifies suspect in 1963 cold case of 16-year-old killed at Colorado Girl Scouts camp

Law enforcement say they know who sexually assaulted and killed 16-year-old Margaret “Peggy” Beck in her Girl Scouts tent in 1963, but they don’t know where the suspect is or if he’s even still alive.

Advances in DNA technology allowed Jefferson County investigators to crack the 56-year-old cold case and identify James Raymond Taylor as a suspect in Beck’s killing.

Investigators believe the case is the oldest to ever be solved using genealogical testing where DNA found at the scene is compared to more than a million samples in a public database. The process allows investigators to find people who might be related to a suspect and narrow their search.

That’s exactly how investigators pinpointed Taylor as a suspect. His family has cooperated, Investigator Elias Alberti said Thursday. But they hadn’t seen Taylor since the 1970s. Taylor, who would be 80 years old now, was last known to be in Las Vegas in 1976, Alberti said...

LINK:
1963 cold case murder of Margaret "Peggy" Beck solved through DNA testing

James-Raymond-Taylor-and-Peggy-Beck.jpg

Left, James Raymond Taylor Right, Margaret "Peggy" Beck

TV repairman linked to decades-old rape and murder of teen girl Girl Scout camp counselor

by Jonathan Anderson, Journalist
April 25, 2020

Authorities may have finally solved a decades-old cold case involving a 16-year-old girl who was raped and murdered at a Colorado Girl Scout camp, KDVR-TV reports.

Margaret “Peggy” Beck was found dead at the Flying G Ranch in Jefferson County, Colorado, on Aug. 18, 1963. She was a camp counselor and had been alone on the evening of the attack after her tent mate fell ill and was taken to the facility’s infirmary.

“There were marks on her neck and there were signs of a sexual assault that had occurred,” sheriff’s investigator Elias Alberti told the television station...

LINK:
TV repairman linked to decades-old rape and murder of teen girl Girl Scout camp counselor

Probably just a coincidence of same name / birth date, but this is in the Social Security Death Index which I accessed at Familysearch.net (a registered user site). Shelby county is primarily Memphis, and zip code 38116 is south Memphis, including the airport. He did not die in Tennessee, however. There is no death certificate on file with the state. The address reflects where the last benefit was sent, which may have been an heir or caretaker:
James Taylor
United States Social Security Death Index
Given Name: James
Surname: Taylor
Birth date: 22 Dec 1939
State of Issue: Ohio
Last Place of Residence: Shelby, Tennessee
Zip Code: 38116
Event Date: Apr 1978

Last edited:
Probably just a coincidence of same name / birth date, but this is in the Social Security Death Index which I accessed at Familysearch.net (a registered user site). Shelby county is primarily Memphis, and zip code 38116 is south Memphis, including the airport. He did not die in Tennessee, however. There is no death certificate on file with the state. The address reflects where the last benefit was sent, which may have been an heir or caretaker:
James Taylor

Suggest that you call this in to investigators. Case number is: 63-10335

Jefferson County Sheriff's Office is: 303-271-5612

Metro Denver Crime Stoppers hot line is: 720-913-7867

LINK:
Peggy Beck: Authorities announce who did it, but need help locating him

James Taylor

The state of issue would be the state where he was living when he first applied for his social security card.

The state of issue does not mean he was born in that state when got his social security card.

Suggest that you call this in to investigators. Case number is: 63-10335

Jefferson County Sheriff's Office is: 303-271-5612

Metro Denver Crime Stoppers hot line is: 720-913-7867

LINK:
Peggy Beck: Authorities announce who did it, but need help locating him
When we did the DNA Analysis we came across this other James Taylor and he is not the same one. We eliminated him by tracking back his family on census records as well as the family of the suspect. Two different families.

Taylor possibly committed the Oklahoma Girl Scout murders, but I don’t know.

Okay, I can’t stand not knowing if this is still alive or not. I don’t have any information regarding him, but I’m seriously considering calling the Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office to suggest an age progression and a possible link to the Oklahoma Girl Scout murders.

Should I do it?

Okay, I can’t stand not knowing if this ******* is still alive or not. I don’t have any information regarding him, but I’m seriously considering calling the Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office to suggest an age progression and a possible link to the Oklahoma Girl Scout murders.

Should I do it?

Sure! :)

I had a dream almost an hour ago about Taylor. I won’t go into detail about every detail about the dream unless anyone is curious. However, this dream feels like a sign I should call the office already and give them advice.

Silence in the face of evil is itself evil. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act.

Last edited:
All right, long time lurker but decided to join when I saw this information:

"It’s possible that Taylor knew of the Girl Scouts camp because he went in the area to test HAM radios that he built, Alberti said"

I am an Amateur Radio Operator myself, it his not uncommun to go were there is no interference from power lines, LED, cheap chineses devices etc to play with our radios,
but also, to become a ham radio operator, you need to pass a test to get your licence.
Now you can be tested by volunteers but at the time, you needed to pass your examination at an FCC office.

I ham not sure of what the rules were in the US at the time (I'm Canadian BTW) but I think when you got your ham certificate at the time (they are several levels), you also needed an radio station certificate for your radio station in your home, I don't remember if you have to renew your certificates every year or every 5 year but now, the radio station certificates dosen't exist anymore and your Amateur Operator Certificate must be renew every 10 years (in Canada it's valid for life now)

At the time, before the internet, every year there was a directory published for ham operators displaying names, callsigns you have and your adress, exactly like a telephone directory, it was called: Amateur Radio Callbook.
For most of us, we have studied hard to get that certificate so we usually renew it all our live, anyhow the Callbooks are all on the web if people want to do some sleuthing:

Summer_1963_Radio_Amateur_Callbook : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

Colorado is in Call area 0 (zero)

Link for Callbooks from others years:

Amateur Radio Call Books : Free Texts : Free Download, Borrow and Streaming : Internet Archive

Nick - Amateur Radio Callsign VE2NCG

Last edited:
All right, long time lurker but decided to join when I saw this information:

"It’s possible that Taylor knew of the Girl Scouts camp because he went in the area to test HAM radios that he built, Alberti said"

I am an Amateur Radio Operator myself, it his not uncommun to go were there is no interference from power lines, LED, cheap chineses devices etc to play with our radios,
but also, to become a ham radio operator, you need to pass a test to get your licence.
Now you can be tested by volunteers but at the time, you needed to pass your examination at an FCC office.

I ham not sure of what the rules were in the US at the time (I'm Canadian BTW) but I think when you got your ham certificate at the time (they are several levels), you also needed an radio station certificate for your radio station in your home, I don't remember if you have to renew your certificates every year or every 5 year but now, the radio station certificates dosen't exist anymore and your Amateur Operator Certificate must be renew every 10 years (in Canada it's valid for life now)

At the time, before the internet, every year there was a directory published for ham operators displaying names, callsigns you have and your adress, exactly like a telephone directory, it was called: Amateur Radio Callbook.
For most of us, we have studied hard to get that certificate so we usually renew it all our live, anyhow the Callbooks are all on the web if people want to do some sleuthing:

Summer_1963_Radio_Amateur_Callbook : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

Colorado is in Call area 0 (zero)

Link for Callbooks from others years:

Amateur Radio Call Books : Free Texts : Free Download, Borrow and Streaming : Internet Archive

Nick - Amateur Radio Callsign VE2NCG
I hope something comes out of this.

Of course, it is possible that he was just a Shortwave radio listener, no certificate needed, shortwave listening was also big in that time, up until the apperance of the internet, but if he was a Licensed Amateur Radio operator, his name and adress are in those callbooks, up until he died or din't renew his license.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back