CO CO - Margaret 'Peggy' Beck, 16, Jefferson Co, 18 Aug 1963

Interesting, I was able to download the callbook and in 1963, I was able to find 3 James Taylor in call area 0:

K9ZYS JAMES TAYLOR, 10329 w.wASHINGTON• WEST ALLIS WISC

K0SGY JAMES L. TAYLORt 1723 ARIZONA AV. N,E, CEDAR RAPIDS IOWA

KllHIR JAMES M. TAYLOR, 1539 -D- STt LINCOLN 2 NEBR

Anyone know if he was in Colorado at the time?
Because neighboring states around CO are in differents call area

Call area:
https://www.arrl.org/files/file/Awards Application Forms/WASmap_Color.pdf

Edit: I was also searching the 1961 callbooks, just 3 hams in Edgewater CO, no Taylor so probably a dead end there too

Last edited:
Of course, it is possible that he was just a Shortwave radio listener, no certificate needed, shortwave listening was also big in that time, up until the apperance of the internet, but if he was a Licensed Amateur Radio operator, his name and adress are in those callbooks, up until he died or din't renew his license.

It could be possible that not only could he have repaired radio and televisions, he also could have installed radio and television antennas.

Or perhaps installed cable television lines for cable tv systems.

I found a US military record for a James B Taylor with the exact same birth date 22 December 1939.

It shows he died 3 April 1978

Enlisted 9 Jan 1957

Discharged 8 Jan 1960

Found on Ancestry.com in U.S. DoD Veterans records

I found a US military record for a James B Taylor with the exact same birth date 22 December 1939.

It shows he died 3 April 1978

Enlisted 9 Jan 1957

Discharged 8 Jan 1960

Found on Ancestry.com in U.S. DoD Veterans records
Do you think he possibly changed his middle name?

Do you think he possibly changed his middle name?

It's possible, but I'm not sure. After looking some more, I found a man who fit the description (B instead of R) same birth date who passed away in Ohio. His obituary mentioned he grew up in the same area where he died, had a lot of family there. it may just be a coincidence that he had a similar name and the same DOB.

It's like trying to find a needle in a haystack. Such a common name.

It's possible, but I'm not sure. After looking some more, I found a man who fit the description (B instead of R) same birth date who passed away in Ohio. His obituary mentioned he grew up in the same area where he died, had a lot of family there. it may just be a coincidence that he had a similar name and the same DOB.

I should probably call this in anyway. Just in case.

I should probably call this in anyway. Just in case.

I have subscriptions to Ancestry.com and Newspapers.com, so I'm happy to help.

Has anyone seen a mention in the news media about where Taylor was born? We know he lived in Colorado and Nevada, but it could narrow things down a bit in Ancestry.com if we knew where he was born.

I have subscriptions to Ancestry.com and Newspapers.com, so I'm happy to help.

Has anyone seen a mention in the news media about where Taylor was born? We know he lived in Colorado and Nevada, but it could narrow things down a bit in Ancestry.com if we knew where he was born.
I’ve left a message. Now we wait.

hey, love your work! im with you guys, justce needs to be meted out to this obvious perp if it can be arranged in this life.
a few observations:
i felt this was a crime of chance opportunity involving stalking/ creeping. despite the crazy coincidences. taylor knew how to take advantage of the smallest opportunity. i found the following report which supports this:
there was a call-in the previous day of a man trying to enter a car with a woman in it he had been stalking nearby? the woman couldnt be found. but it speaks of someone who could easily get alone with the vic in her personal space, acted based on opportunity and had experience doing this type of action.
did they ever have his true DOB?
so the James Taylor who d. 1978 has been eliminated?
are there any notes on the questioning of scratchface?
its frustrating to see all the info on the vic but little on the perp.
seems info isnt being shared.
is LE protecting the family? or possibly dealing with embarrasing miscue (sorry LE, this does happen, were only humans) that needs to be gotten past. youre right we need not only birth info but a fuller timeline of taylors life.
thanks to all

hey, love your work! im with you guys, justce needs to be meted out to this obvious perp if it can be arranged in this life.
a few observations:
i felt this was a crime of chance opportunity involving stalking/ creeping. despite the crazy coincidences. taylor knew how to take advantage of the smallest opportunity. i found the following report which supports this:
there was a call-in the previous day of a man trying to enter a car with a woman in it he had been stalking nearby? the woman couldnt be found. but it speaks of someone who could easily get alone with the vic in her personal space, acted based on opportunity and had experience doing this type of action.
did they ever have his true DOB?
so the James Taylor who d. 1978 has been eliminated?
are there any notes on the questioning of scratchface?
its frustrating to see all the info on the vic but little on the perp.
seems info isnt being shared.
is LE protecting the family? or possibly dealing with embarrasing miscue (sorry LE, this does happen, were only humans) that needs to be gotten past. youre right we need not only birth info but a fuller timeline of taylors life.
thanks to all

Pretty sure his parents are deceased by now. As the story says, they lost touch with him. His last location known to them was in Las Vegas in the 70's. I agree, it seems there should be more information about him they could release without putting pressure on any surviving relatives.

Can't be sure, but I have a feeling Taylor is deceased. Was he in the military? That could also help with tracing him.

well, they found the OH james taylor’s actual DOB thru military records…but someone seemed to indicate in a post here that he was eliminated from consideration thru family records.

what about, can’t LE easily access the social security records of living individuals under investigation?

this is assuming the stated DOB is actually correct…
sure would be nice to know the actual context from which this known info was derived…

this may be a stretch, but what if taylor went (probably back) into the military after the murder, winding up in a covert intel op in SE asia, due to his radio knowledge. many of these people were later found to have their true records obscured.

ive seen some of taylor’s las vegas arrest info from the newspapers, for a successful rape of, & attempted kidnappings of underage girls in the early ‘70s.
i have a few new thoughts on the matter:

either he had somehow lost his touch at crime, or felt remorse for the killing, or was afraid of a murder charge, because he was readily apprehended after the victims’ reports, and it seems that, of these other crimes anyway, killing wasnt a component.
with peggy, he probably decided it was the only way he could escape undiscovered.
he shows up in a list of BA recipients of Universitiy of Northern Colorado as james r. taylor of edgewater in may 1970. within 2 years he was getting the attention of LE in vegas.
he lived at 5241 san anselmo in las vegas. if he owned the house, tax records may shed some light on his movements. also, LVPD should have a nice clear mugshot of the man.
the newspapers seem to report his age as about 2 years younger than the listed DOB.
he probably felt the death of peggy beck meant he could escape punishment forever.
if he may be dead, but we don’t know, can’t we instead treat it like he may be alive and try earnestly to find him while theres still time?

Last edited:
the BA recipient may be a different james r. taylor…
why would he be a TV repairman, get a bachelors degree, then still be a TV repairman? this seems like a career you might get a 2 year certificate in, back then

Yes, I saw that James R Taylor, too and assumed it wasn't him. Due to his hobby and military training, tv repairman or anything in electronics seems likely.

Great work finding info about his crimes in Vegas. It's interesting how he just seemed to stop.

By any chance, do you have the approx dates for his arrests in LV? I'd like to look them up, too. TIA

Last edited:

This may be sudden, but could I have a link to the obituary?

Bad news. It isn’t him. That Taylor isn’t white.

FWIW, “jimmy ray” taylor, son of coloradans marvin d. & juanita beach taylor, was born feb 1940 in colorado. per familysearch tree,
1950 census. i see what you mean this is a bit of a tough nut to crack. thanks for your consideration.

FWIW, “jimmy ray” taylor, son of coloradans marvin d. & juanita beach taylor, was born feb 1940 in colorado. per familysearch tree,
1950 census. i see what you mean this is a bit of a tough nut to crack. thanks for your consideration.
he is mentioned in his parents’ obits (2002/2011) as such.
2 sons & 2 daughters-in-law are named.
i havent seen them but theyre apparently on newspapers.com…
hes also found in 1940 census, wray, yuma, co…

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MeanBean
Back