Codeine risk for some nursing moms

I had 2 without the morphine...the last time is the only time I remember the first 3 days. It was great to see photos of me later where I was talking to people and remember it. It took away the immense pain and allowed me to be somewhat clear minded.

My first, I was given dilauded which they found I had a severe allergic reaction to...and was put on seconal (but not allowed to breastfeed on) The second...I honestly don't recall what I was given initially...but I was kept "drugged up" for a couple of days, but that was the one I breastfed and had to go thru the rest in relative pain. The third was a difficult birth and a premie...so they kept me on the morphine for about 3 to 4 days. I was not allowed to breastfeed her because of her condition and mine.

I guess it is up to the Doctor and thank goodness, I had great ones! I still applaud them! I will honestly say...C-sections are like going thru labor for about six weeks as near as I can figure. I get tired of hearing women kvetch about their "hours" of labor!

I think that is rather unfair. Having had C-sections I would assume you never felt the intense pains of labor.
As I said above some people have a low-threshhold for pain.
Plenty of women having either method of birth get up as soon as possible and seem to tolerate the discomfort well and the opposite is true as well.
I do think to say a C-section is 6 weeks of labor may be a tad dramatic as your body is healing in that time and your certainly not at the same level of pain the 3rd 4rth or 6th week that you were in the first 2.

I think that is rather unfair. Having had C-sections I would assume you never felt the intense pains of labor.
Plenty of women having either method of birth get up as soon as possible and seem to tolerate the discomfort well and the opposite is true as well.
I do think to say a C-section is 6 weeks of labor may be a tad dramatic as your body is healing in that time and your certainly not at the same level of pain the 3rd 4rth or 6th week that you were in the first 2.

Both have benefits and drawbacks. I feel like I experienced both.

Many people who have Cs also go through the intense pains of labor. I did. I went through 18 hours of labor with my first child and 9 hours of labor with my second child - dilated and effaced fully each time, but couldn't get the child out after pushing 3+ hours the first time and about 1 1/2 hours the second time. Emergency Cs were required after that.

So I get to kvetch about my hours of labor and my weeks of recovery!!

I know some women schedule Cs and then, of course, you don't go through all that labor as well.

It does take much longer to recuperate phsyically from a C-section than a vaginal deliverey.

Well, thank goodness I am sooo past this in my life. I have teens so I may trade kids for codeine? Is that an option? lol.

I had two c-sections and was on percocet daily for two weeks after each - I breastfed the whole time and it never seemed to have the slightest effect on my infants. Of course, codeine metabilizes as morphine; oxycodone (percocet) does not.
I also had c sections and we were prescribed codeine back then. I nursed and took my codeine and was assured it was perfectly safe, at that time.
Fortunately it was not a probelm for my kids.
When my mom had all of us kids in the 50's they were regularly prescribed amphetamines while pregnant.
It gave the pregnant moms energy and helped keep their weight in check.:eek:

I also had c sections and we were prescribed codeine back then. I nursed and took my codeine and was assured it was perfectly safe, at that time.
When my mom had all of us kids in the 50's they were regularly prescribed amphetamines while pregnant.

The times they are a changin'....always!

Both have benefits and drawbacks. I feel like I experienced both.

Many people who have Cs also go through the intense pains of labor. I did. I went through 18 hours of labor with my first child and 9 hours of labor with my second child - dilated and effaced fully each time, but couldn't get the child out after pushing 3+ hours the first time and about 1 1/2 hours the second time. Emergency Cs were required after that.

So I get to kvetch about my hours of labor and my weeks of recovery!!

I know some women schedule Cs and then, of course, you don't go through all that labor as well.

It does take much longer to recuperate phsyically from a C-section than a vaginal deliverey.
The only thing I missed out on was pushing. I labored for 18+ hours on my first and reached ONE plus.:doh: As hard and painful as my contractions were they were completely ineffective.
I had c sections with all the rest, but waited until I went into labor for each. I didn't want to have them any time before they would come naturally. I respect the body and the baby knowing when the time was right. I did not schedule any.
But I will admit, as soon as those labor pains kicked in, I was really happy to get that epidural. I think they give that now even for natural childbirth.

The only thing I missed out on was pushing. I labored for 18+ hours on my first and reached ONE plus.:doh: As hard and painful as my contractions were they were completely ineffective.
I had c sections with all the rest, but waited until I went into labor for each. I didn't want to have them any time before they would come naturally. I respect the body and the baby knowing when the time was right. I did not schedule any.
But I will admit, as soon as those labor pains kicked in, I was really happy to get that epidural. I think they give that now even for natural childbirth.

You just never know what a woman's body is gonna do! I've had friends who have had water births, natural births, epidurals, c-sections and I was front and center to catch the results when my sister pushed out her twins in 3 pushes....what I know now is that no matter how you get that baby into this world, that's the easy part compared to everything that comes after!! :eek:

Are your kids still sleeping JBEAN? lol. I tell you no one gets an award for no pain relief. It's not like some of these drug users. METH HEADS, drinkers.

No, actually, I got to endure labor first all three times (even back labor!)! Woohoo! The second time was a close run because I was in a PTA meeting with my other kids on stage performing so I chose to sit it out...I did until my pains were lasting 2 1/2 minutes and were 2 minutes apart. Boy, was my Doctor mad when I finally arrived for my C-section!

So unless you have been through the wonderful pains of 3 C-sections...not to mention all the internal pain...don't want to hear we aren't worthy...because the pain is something most do not want.

If my tolerance is low...I don't think so and neither did my doctor/nursing staff I had attending me. I didn't ask for for drugs and they kept demanding I take them. I didn't get to see my last baby for five days because they could not control my pain and would not let me up to go see her. I was devastated at the time that I had to look at a crappy photo after four days until they gave me enough pain meds to get me over the "hump".

When your belly and uterus have already experienced scar tissue...the healing process is more difficult. So I stand by that six weeks. Yes, it does get better as time goes on...but it hurts like hell the first six weeks. Sorry.

No, actually, I got to endure labor first all three times (even back labor!)! Woohoo! The second time was a close run because I was in a PTA meeting with my other kids on stage performing so I chose to sit it out...I did until my pains were lasting 2 1/2 minutes and were 2 minutes apart. Boy, was my Doctor mad when I finally arrived for my C-section!

So unless you have been through the wonderful pains of 3 C-sections...not to mention all the internal pain...don't want to hear we aren't worthy...because the pain is something most do not want.

If my tolerance is low...I don't think so and neither did my doctor/nursing staff I had attending me. I didn't ask for for drugs and they kept demanding I take them. I didn't get to see my last baby for five days because they could not control my pain and would not let me up to go see her. I was devastated at the time that I had to look at a crappy photo after four days until they gave me enough pain meds to get me over the "hump".

When your belly and uterus have already experienced scar tissue...the healing process is more difficult. So I stand by that six weeks. Yes, it does get better as time goes on...but it hurts like hell the first six weeks. Sorry.

That must have been just awful not being able to see your baby in person for four days! That's terrible, you had to endure that emotional pain and the physical pain together. :blowkiss:

I said nothing about anyone not being worthy.
I simply said that everyone reacts to labor and pain differently.
I still stand by the notion that if one is given narcotics they should not breast feed.

To be on the safe side, I wouldn't take any medications and breast feed. Why take the chance?

I had a c-section with my son (was ready to start pushing but we found he was breech, so I too endured the full labor on that one) and then I had my daughter naturally. Both times after delivery I took nothing more than motrin. I'm highly allergic to codeine-and I nursed both times so I didn't want anything too strong. A lot of times if you have a lot of pain meds it can dry up your "supply", which I was afraid of. The c-section hurt like he!! but I was easily distracted by my new baby.

I fortunately wasn't really upset about giving morphine in my drip, I knew I probably wouldn't be able to breastfeed due to the breast reduction (which was true not a drop) and If I did I knew I would have to seriously supplement because mine was done 17 years ago way before they followed procedure to save your chance of breastfeeding. Also since I had four days of induced labor due to a 9 1/2 pound 37 weeker and went through many hours of pitocin was caused big labor pains but no effort in dilation and her heartbeat dropped when my water broke I was just thankful she was alright, a little blue but otherwise great. I had a room full of people including my peri and my ob and had a classic cut c-section. Thankfully my husband took over diaper changings and feedings since I had to be on my back for the first twelve hours due to my spinal. I was a little jealous though as when I was in recovery he gave her her first bath and rocked her for two hours then when I came back from recovery I had to share her with everybody else and wait twelve hours to truly hold her.

Seriouslysearching- I agree that morphine drip allowed me to function so well the first 2 days that I used it, it was so nice to feel like myself. I didnt take anything after I got home. They gave me codeine and that makes me sick and I didnt bother with motrin or tylenol since they didnt do a whole lot so I skipped them. I was lucky though as I had a ton of prepared frozen meals I did before we had her and family came over every day to help out along with my husband there for three weeks. I was just able to enjoy her which was so nice.

Yikes, you guys!!!
I want to have a baby, but y'all are scaring me with your stories! :eek:

I fortunately wasn't really upset about giving morphine in my drip, I knew I probably wouldn't be able to breastfeed due to the breast reduction (which was true not a drop) and If I did I knew I would have to seriously supplement because mine was done 17 years ago way before they followed procedure to save your chance of breastfeeding. Also since I had four days of induced labor due to a 9 1/2 pound 37 weeker and went through many hours of pitocin was caused big labor pains but no effort in dilation and her heartbeat dropped when my water broke I was just thankful she was alright, a little blue but otherwise great. I had a room full of people including my peri and my ob and had a classic cut c-section. Thankfully my husband took over diaper changings and feedings since I had to be on my back for the first twelve hours due to my spinal. I was a little jealous though as when I was in recovery he gave her her first bath and rocked her for two hours then when I came back from recovery I had to share her with everybody else and wait twelve hours to truly hold her.

Seriouslysearching- I agree that morphine drip allowed me to function so well the first 2 days that I used it, it was so nice to feel like myself. I didnt take anything after I got home. They gave me codeine and that makes me sick and I didnt bother with motrin or tylenol since they didnt do a whole lot so I skipped them. I was lucky though as I had a ton of prepared frozen meals I did before we had her and family came over every day to help out along with my husband there for three weeks. I was just able to enjoy her which was so nice.

Jealous? Well, when you take the easy way out...there are tradeoffs! :D :truce:

Yikes....I am so glad I have a penis. ;)

Cal

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back