Codeine risk for some nursing moms

Exactly!!!

Not only that but 13 years ago when I had Richie ... They would not give any narcotic based drug to nursing mothers..

I am shocked to learn that any Dr would. There is a foam called epifoam for
episiotomy pain.

As for c-sections... I really don't know what other pain medications are an option and still allow for breast feeding.

I have had 2 c-sections, & delivered my first vaginally, resulting in a 4th degree tear through the perineum . I was on hydrocodone with all 3, & nursed all three. The Dr. prescribed these medications as part of a normal routine & I did not experience any problems & have 3 healthy children today.

I said nothing about anyone not being worthy.
I simply said that everyone reacts to labor and pain differently.
I still stand by the notion that if one is given narcotics they should not breast feed.

Sorry, I disagree. I would say that it should be on a case by case basis & a decision made by the mom based on her own instincts & advice of her midwives, peds, dr, etc, . If the baby has other problems, maybe you should pump & toss, but to say you should not breast feed is a pretty broad statement. I will trust my own instincts at the time, in addition to the advice of my Dr, lactation consultant, & my pediatrician, that I made the right decision to nurse. All of them knew of my intention to nurse, & anythng they prescribed was checked with multiple sources before it was taken (even the antibiotics, & I was on some major ones with Daughter #1).
My babies were healthy & I am very thankful that I was able to nurse them, despite the less than ideal circumstances around their births.

Sorry, I disagree. I would say that it should be on a case by case basis & a decision made by the mom based on her own instincts & advice of her midwives, peds, dr, etc, . If the baby has other problems, maybe you should pump & toss, but to say you should not breast feed is a pretty broad statement. I will trust my own instincts at the time, in addition to the advice of my Dr, lactation consultant, & my pediatrician, that I made the right decision to nurse. All of them knew of my intention to nurse, & anythng they prescribed was checked with multiple sources before it was taken (even the antibiotics, & I was on some major ones with Daughter #1).
My babies were healthy & I am very thankful that I was able to nurse them, despite the less than ideal circumstances around their births.

I too am grateful that I was able to breastfeed even though I had to take medications several weeks post partum. I have no regrets and think it is an individual choice that a women should come to in conference with her medical team.

Yikes, you guys!!!
I want to have a baby, but y'all are scaring me with your stories! :eek:

It's all worth it. At least that is what I keep telling myself :D

We tried for 8 years before having a baby - The birth & recovery from the birth was an absolute nightmare - but my case is rare, tears like that happen in 1 - 3 % of births. In my case, it was a child with a head in the 100% - it is not the size of the baby that makes a difference - it is the size of the head, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. My dh has a large head, I should have known I'd be in trouble from the minute we met...

Yikes, you guys!!!

Dont be scared, it is all worth it! I tried for years and I dont regret it one bit it just made me realize how blessed I was to have her. At 1 week I was doing everything almost that I did before minus laundry and driving, I was just doing it a bit sleep deprived ;)

Jealous? Well, when you take the easy way out...there are tradeoffs! :D :truce:

Yikes....I am so glad I have a penis. ;)

Cal

lol! My husband is glad he is a man too! I had a lovely gaping hole in my stomach about six inches long but Im thankful I didnt push out my 9 1/2 pounder with a 14 1/2 cm head! Especially since you only dialate to ten :eek:
I dont regret my csection at all.

We tried for 8 years before having a baby - The birth & recovery from the birth was an absolute nightmare - but my case is rare, tears like that happen in 1 - 3 % of births. In my case, it was a child with a head in the 100% - it is not the size of the baby that makes a difference - it is the size of the head, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. My dh has a large head, I should have known I'd be in trouble from the minute we met...

Yikes what cm was your child's head? My daughter was a 14 1/2 and she was sunny side up. My mom had a big tear from me, I had a big noggin too. She tore up to her anus :eek:

Glad this shop is closed for business!!!!

And whoever said you forget the pain is full of it!:furious: 19 years later and I can still feel it...........................:bang:

I am among those 1-3 % I had the same thing happen with my 3rd child..
I took nothing more then tylenol.

As I have said before... everyone has a differing threshhold for pain.
I would never condemn a new mom for taking pain meds but in the year 2007 I think its pretty well known that narcotics and drugs and alcohol are not safe if someone is breastfeeding.
The truth is that noone really knows how or to what extent narcotics affect a breast feeding infant.
Like all other humans the reaction can vary widely and there is no way to test for that.

For example once when I was very ill I was given Valium, seconol, demorol (a shot) and just to kick things up a notch I got a shot of morphine..
I was still very aware and even got up and walked around.
No one could believe it. On the same token if my husband or sister get vicodan or tylenol3 they are down for the count.

I would assume babies are the same and there is simply noway to know.

Better to be safe then sorry?

Yikes, you guys!!!

AWWW the truth is that women love to tell "my labor was worse then yours" stories!
Its kind of the equal to guys who tell the HUGE fish that got away story.

Obviously we all survived it as did are children.
I could tell some horror stories .... I think what I learned most of all is to make sure you have a GREAT Dr the best that money can buy and preferably a female.

Totally agree LTC.

The truth is...the pain is all worth it and you soon forget about it! (Or most of us wouldn't have had more than one!)

Doesn't matter if you have a C-section or vaginal birth...once that baby arrives and you hold him/her/them...it all fades into sheer delight and love replaces any and all pain it took to get them there!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back