Colorado School Bans Tag on Playground

Accidents happen and I am sorry for any one of you whose child has been injured as the result of playing a childhood game.

Accidents happen anywhere, and like I pointed out, the #1 cause death among children between the ages of 1 and 14 is automobile accidents - followed by #2 accidental drownings and, #3 malignant neoplasms.

Thus, your child has a greater chance of dying from a malignant neoplasm than it does from dying from a childhood play activity.

Let them kids get out there and play play play play.

Kids can always find ways to hurt themselves! What's next? Wrapping them in little air-bag suits before letting them out of the house??

Sorry, but all of this stuff makes me go :doh:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Accidents happen and I am sorry for any one of you whose child has been injured as the result of playing a childhood game.

Accidents happen anywhere, and like I pointed out, the #1 cause death among children between the ages of 1 and 14 is automobile accidents - followed by #2 accidental drownings and, #3 malignant neoplasms.

Thus, your child has a greater chance of dying from a malignant neoplasm than it does from dying from a childhood play activity.

Let them kids get out there and play play play play.

And another round of :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Maybe we need to bow out more often and let these children have some fun and learn to solve problems on their own.

You know you have a very good point here. I moved to the US from Europe, and y'all are not going to like what I have to say probably. But one of the main things that I have problems adjusting to over here (still, after a few years) is the way parents treat their kids.

When our DD and the neighbor's DD are playing, they will sometimes squabble like girls do. I keep an eye on it (without them even knowing) to make sure it doesn't get out of hand. If they'd start pulling hair or worse I'd probably walk outside and innocently ask them 'hey, what game is that?'. (Which, by the way, has never happened, except when neighbor DD stomped on my DD's foot, then ran home crying that DD hurt her).

The way most kids are raised in Europe is to let them learn to fight their own battles. What I see happen all around me here in the US is that parents and other adults jump in right away. The neighbor's DD would run off and actually come back with her mom or adult aunt who she lives with! So I had to start getting involved, because my DD was 'in it' with grown-ups, not her peers! :eek:

To protect DD I've had to change my ways about this and I can see the difference in her. She is way more insecure than she used to be and cries a lot easier about these things. There are also parents around who let their kids experience this on their own (while all the time watching out that it doesn't go (too far) beyond what they can actually handle) but I have to say most aren't US born and raised either or they've lived in other countries.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not 'bashing the US'. We love living here, but like any country it has it's good and it's bad. And I do believe that it would be a good idea if children here were allowed more to solve their own problems. I know it's a big generalisation and there are always exceptions of course, but as a rule, that's what I see happening.

Sincerely,
JE

You know you have a very good point here. I moved to the US from Europe, and y'all are not going to like what I have to say probably. But one of the main things that I have problems adjusting to over here (still, after a few years) is the way parents treat their kids.

When our DD and the neighbor's DD are playing, they will sometimes squabble like girls do. I keep an eye on it (without them even knowing) to make sure it doesn't get out of hand. If they'd start pulling hair or worse I'd probably walk outside and innocently ask them 'hey, what game is that?'. (Which, by the way, has never happened, except when neighbor DD stomped on my DD's foot, then ran home crying that DD hurt her).

They way most kids are raised in Europe is to let them learn to fight their own battles. What I see happen all around me here in the US is that parents and other adults jump in right away. The neighbor's DD would run off and actually come back with her mom or adult aunt who she lives with! So I had to start getting involved, because my DD was 'in it' with grown-ups, not her peers! :eek:

To protect DD I've had to change my ways about this and I can see the difference in her. She is way more insecure than she used to be and cries a lot easier about these things. There are also parents around who let their kids experience this on their own (while all the time watching out that it doesn't go (too far) beyond what they can actualy handle) but I have to say most aren't US born and raised either or they've lived in other countries.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not 'bashing the US'. We love living here, but like any country it has it's good and it's bad. And I do believe that it would be a good idea if children here were allowed more to solve their own problems. I know it's a big generalisation and there are always exceptions of course, but as a rule, that's what I see happening.

Sincerely,
JE

You make some great points. I've never lived anywhere but the States so can't comment on what it might be like in different places.

Now that they are getting older, I have been trying to let my sons work out their own disagreements with not so much interference. It is difficult because it can get very loud, although no violence or name-calling is allowed.

I became aware that by me constantly inserting myself in their battles, I was setting my older one up to always be the bad guy and my younger one up to always be the victim. What I want them to do is to learn how to handle their own conflicts. It will take a while, but they've made some strides.

As a general rule, I think adults today do get too involved in kid stuff - from their play to their homework and school projects to their squabbles.

Pretty soon they'll stop playing baseball / softball too!

Yes kids get hurt on a school playground. But lets let kids be kids.

Kids can always find ways to hurt themselves! What's next? Wrapping them in little air-bag suits before letting them out of the house??

Sorry, but all of this stuff makes me go :doh:

I agree. This is crazy. And no wonder so many kids are fat -- keep taking away time/ways to exercise.

The way most kids are raised in Europe is to let them learn to fight their own battles.
To protect DD I've had to change my ways about this and I can see the difference in her. She is way more insecure than she used to be and cries a lot easier about these things. There are also parents around who let their kids experience this on their own (while all the time watching out that it doesn't go (too far) beyond what they can actually handle) but I have to say most aren't US born and raised either or they've lived in other countries.

And I do believe that it would be a good idea if children here were allowed more to solve their own problems. I know it's a big generalisation and there are always exceptions of course, but as a rule, that's what I see happening.

Sincerely,
JE

Well, I completely disagree. My parents never taught me to stand up for myself nor anyone for me for that matter either. I was the second shortest and I was bullied and victimized all throughout 4th, 5th, and 6th grade. I was called awful names and it was a living hell. I was pushed into a fight and was expected to be beaten to a pulp, except that I valued myself and used the only way I knew to defend myself- I dug my fingernails into this girls arms and refused to let go!!!
I have also witnessed what the lack of discipline will do in my husband's young nieces and nephews. They learn there are no boundaries and these kids will be headed for problems with the law and drugs when they are teenagers if they keep going the way they are. My husband and I believe in active parenting- not neglect- which means standing up for your child!!! The difference between my child and her cousin the same age- her cousin throws toy trains at other children while my daughter was just given special recognition 1 week into first grade for having good behavior!

Well, I completely disagree. My parents never taught me to stand up for myself nor anyone for me for that matter either. I was the second shortest and I was bullied and victimized all throughout 4th, 5th, and 6th grade. I was pushed into a fight and was expected to be beaten to a pulp, except that I valued myself and used the only way I knew to defend myself- I dug my fingernails into this girls arms and refused to let go!!!
I have also witnessed what the lack of discipline will do in my husband's young nieces and nephews. They learn there are no boundaries and these kids will be headed for problems with the law and drugs when they are teenagers if they keep going the way they are. My husband and I believe in active parenting- not neglect- which means standing up for your child!!!

Respectfully, LinasK, that was not the situation I described. As you will note in my initial post, I said I was not ignoring it - I always keep an eye on my daughter and I do keep an eye on what's going on if there is bickering going on. If there would be any physical contact I would be right there. This does not equate 'lack of discipline' or 'neglect'.

It does, however, give children a chance to figure out for themselves how they will solve the problem of one wanting to play on the swings, and the other wanting to play basketball. I do not believe a child needs a parent to step in for them at that level.

Being beaten to a bloody pulp is of a whole different level and I will assure you that such would never happen to my child, or by my child, not here, nor in Europe (and such is not the standard there, either), because I would be there to step in.

Again, I respectfully ask you to please re-read my post whilst not focusing on the hurt you endured as I child. I hope you will then see that what you described, and what I described, are two entirely different situations. I am sorry you had to go through that as a child. :blowkiss:

I guess its gonna end up that kids have to sit down with their hands over their heads and their knees to their chest during recess to make everyone happy. Someone always wants to ban something

during 4th and 5th grade my daughters school closed the play ground. the principal felt it was much safer for the kids to walk laps around the school for 10 minutes a day. she closed it her first week and it took 2 years for the parents like myself to fight her. once the school board said it had to reopen she transferred out saying she did not feel it was in the best interest of the kids for her to stay if the parents planned to fight her every step of the way in improving the school.

i used home school when my daughter was in 1st grade. she did great and was tested for gifted as soon as she returned to public school. i put her back in public for 1 reason. social skills. she could not talk in class. she could not talk in the hall. she could not talk at lunch. class is for learning not talking. kids talking in the hall can disrupt other classes. talking during lunch can cause kids to choke( yes the principal actually said this at a school board meeting). with no time to just be kids where do they pick up the social skills they need for real life?

during 4th and 5th grade my daughters school closed the play ground. the principal felt it was much safer for the kids to walk laps around the school for 10 minutes a day. she closed it her first week and it took 2 years for the parents like myself to fight her. once the school board said it had to reopen she transferred out saying she did not feel it was in the best interest of the kids for her to stay if the parents planned to fight her every step of the way in improving the school.

i used home school when my daughter was in 1st grade. she did great and was tested for gifted as soon as she returned to public school. i put her back in public for 1 reason. social skills. she could not talk in class. she could not talk in the hall. she could not talk at lunch. class is for learning not talking. kids talking in the hall can disrupt other classes. talking during lunch can cause kids to choke( yes the principal actually said this at a school board meeting). with no time to just be kids where do they pick up the social skills they need for real life?
I never did agree with making children be silent while eating. This is common in a lot of schools. Adults socialize during a meal and I have always thought children should be allowed to socialize too as long as they don't get really loud, but sadly a lot of schools have a teacher on duty who enforces rules of silence. I always let them talk quietly when I was on duty, but many teachers didn't. They probably thought I had no discipline.

Respectfully, LinasK, that was not the situation I described. As you will note in my initial post, I said I was not ignoring it - I always keep an eye on my daughter and I do keep an eye on what's going on if there is bickering going on. If there would be any physical contact I would be right there. This does not equate 'lack of discipline' or 'neglect'.

It does, however, give children a chance to figure out for themselves how they will solve the problem of one wanting to play on the swings, and the other wanting to play basketball. I do not believe a child needs a parent to step in for them at that level.

Being beaten to a bloody pulp is of a whole different level and I will assure you that such would never happen to my child, or by my child, not here, nor in Europe (and such is not the standard there, either), because I would be there to step in.

Again, I respectfully ask you to please re-read my post whilst not focusing on the hurt you endured as I child. I hope you will then see that what you described, and what I described, are two entirely different situations. I am sorry you had to go through that as a child. :blowkiss:
I rarely intervened when my boys fought. They knew if I had to get in the middle of a fight, everything would be shut down for 15-20 minutes; no questions asked.. everything and everyone.Then I would sort through it with them. They HATED that,lol.So they never brought things to me unless they were hopelessly deadlocked. It was impossible for me to know what REALLY happened. Too many versions of the story and so many personalities. So I told them that since I didn't know, everyone stops the game or whatever.
It was very satisfying to hear them try and work it out so they didn't all have to stop playing for 15 to 20 minutes if I had to get involved.
I'd holler in, do you want me to get involved? in unison they would all yell NOOOOO. lol it was funny!
They actually got very good at it and I hardly ever had to step in.
They would defintiely go to fists from time to time and I would just throw a bucket of water on them.
worked like a charm.
Truly, I just separated them. Did not yell, just pulled them apart and then we talked about it after everyone cooled off. No point in sorting through it while everyones is all worked up.

They would defintiely go to fists from time to time and I would just throw a bucket of water on them.
worked like a charm.

OMG my grandma used to do that with my uncles when they were young... In age they were like my big brothers and I still remember the times this happened... it was so funny!

OMG my grandma used to do that with my uncles when they were young... In age they were like my big brothers and I still remember the times this happened... it was so funny!
If they were in a suitable place I would definitiely do it. or I would take the kitchen sprayer and hose 'em down.
Defintiely was an attention getter.

Regarding the ban of tag at school,I have to say I just couldn't care less if it was banned.
We didn't rely on the school for our physical activty and so I just wouldn't have cared. Kids would get a neighborhood game of laser tag or something action packed liked cops and robbers and that was real fun.We would ride bikes or invent games, play football or basketball. Recess was just a time killer and too many rules with all those kids. Fine with me if they keep it mellow at recess.

Well, I taught school 10 years or so. I'm amazed at some of the comments about teachers here; obviously many don't realize what a monumental job it is - that's why the average teacher quits after 5 years.

I'll remind again - some kids are really DIFFERENT now (roughter, bullying etc) Sad but true. It's too bad a few make it hard for the majority to just take place in normal activities. The teacher can't possibly watch every minute and prevent every accident. But when an accident DOES occur, parents these days are furious and want to blame the teacher and the school.

Another reminder - "LIABILITY". I thought I saw on the news today that the Colorado school had to make this rule after "several incidents had happened".

There are plenty of other things they can do on the playground that are fun. The simple fact is that "tag" is a contact sport; just like touch football, etc.

Well, I taught school 10 years are so. I'm amazed at some of the comments about teachers here; obviously many don't realize what a monumental job it is - that's why the average teacher quits after 5 years.

I'll remind again - some kids are really DIFFERENT now (roughter, bullying etc) Sad but true. It's too bad a few make it hard for the majority to just take place in normal activities. The teacher can't possibly watch every minute and prevent every accident. But when an accident DOES occur, parents these days are furious and want to blame the teacher and the school.

Another reminder - "LIABILITY". I thought I saw on the news today that the Colorado school had to make this rule after "several incidents had happened".

Again, a reminder
This makes perfect sense to me Martha.
I know when I had a houseful (and that was nowhere near a playgroundful,) I wouldn't allow certain games that caused too many issues. tag would have been on my nix list for sure.

ETA: I would have been a TERRIBLE teacher Martha..so my hat is off to all you educating types :)

This makes perfect sense to me Martha.
I know when I had a houseful (and that was nowhere near a playgroundful,) I wouldn't allow certain games that caused too many issues. tag would have been on my nix list for sure.

My kids were never allowed to run in the house either, JBean.

I think you and I both have HAD ALOT of kids if you know what I mean, one way or another. You have to be strict about things that might be dangerous - I guess that's why there are so many organized sports clubs now; we can't even let our children play outside without worrying about abduction.

Sad but true.

Frankly, if I knew the playground had a safe area, and they were a good group of kids, I would tend to let them play tag. But I'd let them know, ONE INFRACTION - pushing; and they're sitting out playground for TWO weeks. And I would follow through; that way they might learn.

However, it gets to be too exhausting for a teacher to be a policewoman, when she has to plan so many lessons, etc. The problem is that then OTHER CLASSES come out on the playground at the same time, and the other teachers would have to have the same rules, etc.

Why can't they swing, slide, climb, etc. - use the playground equipment. Do hoola hoops. There are lots of things to do. blow bubbles, use playground chalk, etc.

They will run in their formal PE class.

My kids were never allowed to run in the house either, JBean.

I think you and I both have HAD ALOT of kids if you know what I mean, one way or another. You have to be strict about things that might be dangerous - I guess that's why there are so many organized sports clubs now; we can't even let our children play outside without worrying about abduction.

Sad but true.

Frankly, if I knew the playground had a safe area, and they were a good group of kids, I would tend to let them play tag. But I'd let them know, ONE INFRACTION - pushing; and they're sitting out playground for TWO weeks. And I would follow through; that way they might learn.

However, it gets to be too exhausting for a teacher to be a policewoman, when she has to plan so many lessons, etc. The problem is that then OTHER CLASSES come out on the playground at the same time, and the other teachers would have to have the same rules, etc.

Why can't they swing, slide, climb, etc. - use the playground equipment. Do hoola hoops. There are lots of things to do. blow bubbles, use playground chalk, etc.

They will run in their formal PE class.
I bolded what I think to be a big issue here.
I was fun but tried to run a reasonably tight ship. When they each had a friend sleepover, there could be 10 kids here, so some of the things they could normally do, might be verboten.
Like the trampoline ugh! That was no fun because I was constantly on alert. too stressful.
Our schools didn't really have any decent formal PE in elementary. Organized in middle school and up, but the little ones would get hit and miss programs. it was awful.
I think that was part of the reason we were so physically active as a family. I have always been one to exercise and stay active. My boys all inherited that for sure and so we still do most of our physical activities together.
I just didn't count on the school to provide this part of their life.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sassyfox
Back