Connecticut school district on lockdown after shooting report at a Newtown elemen #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
R.e. condition where a person does not feel pain, is there a condition, related or not, where a person does not feel fear? TIA

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/12/21/nypd-exploring-online-search-for-deranged-gunmen/

In the wake of the Newtown massacre, the NYPD is examining ways to search the internet for potential “deranged” gunmen.

“The techniques would include cyber-searches of language that mass-casualty shooters have used in e-mails and Internet postings,” Kelly said.

While I agree with investigating innovative ways to identify deranged gunmen, I also think screening cyberspace for searches of "language" within e-mails and Internet postings violates individual privacy.

What if the person doing the searches are, like us, sleuthers, trying to do research for self-edification purposes, or looking/using search terms to write a book, etc.?

Does this mean we're all automatically pigeonholed and typecast in the NYPD's repository as "potentially deranged gunmen"?

R.e. condition where a person does not feel pain, is there a condition, related or not, where a person does not feel fear? TIA

I am not sure, I know there was a study on a woman with no amygdala (part of the brain that processes threats) they reported she had no fear.

Anyway, speaking as the mom to a child with an ASD (Austism Spectrum Disorder) I will say that my 2 year old little boy is rarely afraid of things other kids his age are. I am not saying he is fearless. His fears come from change in routine, not having one of his parents present at all times etc.

Lack of fear AND reduced reaction to pain comes up as symptoms of Antisocial Personality Disorder.

Hi, nao. When I said he didn't grow up in a vacuum I meant that he didn't live alone, unobserved. His family should have been assessing him and weighing their responsibility to their son as well as their responsibility to society. Finances have nothing to do with this burden.

Perhaps I misunderstood your post?

Well, he was observed by only 1 family member, his mother, who seemed to be quite reality-challenged herself.

Finances can certainly help to "hide" things. When you have no wealth, your stuff is right out there for most to see.

I am not sure why we are discussing "no fear" since nobody said AL had this condition. He is also not described by anyone doing dangerous things or taking risks.

While I agree with investigating innovative ways to identify deranged gunmen, I also think screening cyberspace for searches of "language" within e-mails and Internet postings violates individual privacy.

What if the person doing the searches are, like us, sleuthers, trying to do research for self-edification purposes, or looking/using search terms to write a book, etc.?

Does this mean we're all automatically pigeonholed and typecast in the NYPD's repository as "potentially deranged gunmen"?

It wouldn't surprise me.

http://consumer.findlaw.com/online-scams/email-privacy-concerns.html

Virgalla (an adult survivor inside the school) had some advice for parents and teachers: make sure your doors lock from the inside.

"Ours did not and teachers had to go out. You can't be out in a hall when a shooter is present in your school. Just that simple thing could make a difference in time and safety of the children," she said.
http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/news/in..._her_in_U.S._school_rampage.html?cid=34587940

There were a few reports of teachers being unable to lock their doors or the doors just not locking:

Ms. Rousseau - according to her father - did not have a key to lock her door.

Gilles Rousseau said he raised the question after a contact with the school district, whom he did not identify, told him that Lauren Rousseau would not have had a key to lock the first-grade room where she was teaching Friday. As a permanent substitute, she was assigned to different classes from day to day.

This article says that 4th grade teacher Mr. Varga could not lock a door: "Once the shooting began, Mr Varga tried to lock the door to the conference room. When he found out the door would not lock"

Library clerk Mary Ann Jacob could not lock her door.

"I shouted 'Lockdown!' and I ran across the hall and told the other class it was a lockdown," Jacob said.

She dashed back to her classroom and discovered that the door would not lock. Spying the storage closet in the room, Jacob and the rest of the library staff guided the children in a group-crawl to safety as the gunfire continued.

Another article
states: Another teacher, Abbey Clements, acted quickly to save lives. When she heard gunshots outside her classroom she initially thought they might be folding chairs, left out for a concert, falling over. But when she looked outside she was confronted with a very different scene. "When I poked my head out the door and saw the custodian [janitor] running to the front of the building I realised they were shots," she said. She pulled two students and two other teachers who were standing in the hall through her door to hide them. "We corralled those two kids into my classroom to stay with me. We went into lockdown, which meant that I ran to get the keys and told the kids to sit in the place where we practised for emergencies.

"It was even scary to lock the door because I had to open the door back up and put my hand out – because the lock is on the outside – and then come back into the closet area," Ms Clements added. Trying to calm the children, she attempted to muffle the haunting sounds of gunshots and screams broadcasting over the intercom and read them stories.

And one more:

Shari Burton, a Sandy Hook teacher's assistant, who called 911 just moments after hearing those first horrifying shots.

BURTON: I called 911, and they said that they had some calls come through already, and they asked me to describe what I was hearing. And at that time, all I was hearing was, Pop, pop, pop, pop, pop, pop. And it wasn't stopping. And he said, Do you think it's gunshots? And I said, I think it's gunshots.

At that time, I did not realize that our teacher could not lock our door, but she had saw the custodian. She said, Our door won't lock, and he shooed her into our room and she closed the door. And he came back. He stayed in the hallway and he locked our doors.

I wonder if Victoria Soto was able to lock her door? She should have had enough time since AL was in Lauren Rousseau's class prior to hers. :please:

That doesn't answer the question of what you mean by saying people were coming from New York. We are asking for clarification; a link to put this comment in context.

ret·ro·spect [re-truh-spekt] Show IPA
noun
contemplation of the past; a survey of past time, events, etc.
verb (used without object)
to look back in thought; refer back (often followed by to ): to retrospect to a period in one's youth.
verb (used with object)
to look back upon; contemplate retrospectively.
Idioms
in retrospect, in looking back on past events; upon reflection: It was, in retrospect, the happiest day of her life.
Origin:
1595–1605; probably retro- + (pro)spect

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/in+retrospect
...as in what was the paranoid thinking of having so many weapons in a large, suburban household, where a divorced, single Mom lived in Connecticut, AND did this spill over to her her only son living at home, Adam.

There were a few reports of teachers being unable to lock their doors or the doors just not locking:

Ms. Rousseau - according to her father - did not have a key to lock her door.

Gilles Rousseau said he raised the question after a contact with the school district, whom he did not identify, told him that Lauren Rousseau would not have had a key to lock the first-grade room where she was teaching Friday. As a permanent substitute, she was assigned to different classes from day to day.

This article says that 4th grade teacher Mr. Varga could not lock a door: "Once the shooting began, Mr Varga tried to lock the door to the conference room. When he found out the door would not lock"

Library clerk Mary Ann Jacob could not lock her door.

"I shouted 'Lockdown!' and I ran across the hall and told the other class it was a lockdown," Jacob said.

She dashed back to her classroom and discovered that the door would not lock. Spying the storage closet in the room, Jacob and the rest of the library staff guided the children in a group-crawl to safety as the gunfire continued.

Another article
states: Another teacher, Abbey Clements, acted quickly to save lives. When she heard gunshots outside her classroom she initially thought they might be folding chairs, left out for a concert, falling over. But when she looked outside she was confronted with a very different scene. "When I poked my head out the door and saw the custodian [janitor] running to the front of the building I realised they were shots," she said. She pulled two students and two other teachers who were standing in the hall through her door to hide them. "We corralled those two kids into my classroom to stay with me. We went into lockdown, which meant that I ran to get the keys and told the kids to sit in the place where we practised for emergencies.

"It was even scary to lock the door because I had to open the door back up and put my hand out – because the lock is on the outside – and then come back into the closet area," Ms Clements added. Trying to calm the children, she attempted to muffle the haunting sounds of gunshots and screams broadcasting over the intercom and read them stories.

And one more:

Shari Burton, a Sandy Hook teacher's assistant, who called 911 just moments after hearing those first horrifying shots.

BURTON: I called 911, and they said that they had some calls come through already, and they asked me to describe what I was hearing. And at that time, all I was hearing was, Pop, pop, pop, pop, pop, pop. And it wasn't stopping. And he said, Do you think it's gunshots? And I said, I think it's gunshots.

At that time, I did not realize that our teacher could not lock our door, but she had saw the custodian. She said, Our door won't lock, and he shooed her into our room and she closed the door. And he came back. He stayed in the hallway and he locked our doors.

I wonder if Victoria Soto was able to lock her door? She should have had enough time since AL was in Lauren Rousseau's class prior to hers. :please:

Thank you for taking the time to find all of these references.
I wonder that too. I don't think she was able to lock her door.

Yes, there are conditions which can create a decreased fear response. Here are a few examples:
-damage to the amygdala/limbic system
-damage to frontal lobes
-low IQ
-desensitization/habituation to dangerous stimuli
-damaged corpus callosum (connects the two hemispheres of their brain and if damaged, the two sides cannot “communicate” easily)
-mental impairment (drugs, alcohol, liver/kidney failure, decreased O2, psychosis and etc.....)
-Studies have show that sociopaths have decreased fear responses.

I hope they recognize the custodian for his heroic behavior.

Thank you for taking the time to find all of these references.
I wonder that too. I don't think she was able to lock her door.

Doesn't look like it. Sounds like not all teachers had keys, or even doors that would lock.

Because I personally don't believe Adam had any, that or Nancy had other ideas. This country is built on entrepreneurism and small business.

I really don't think participation in a small business would have made AL "normal." He had many opportunities to succeed if he didn't have the issues he had.

Correct me if I am wrong, but posting on the internet does not insure privacy not does it give anyone the right to privacy. The internet is a public place, if it shouldn't be found/read, it shouldn't be posted. I agree completely with the searches!

I'm going to open a new thread in a few minutes, so be ready to jump over to there.

fran

While I agree with investigating innovative ways to identify deranged gunmen, I also think screening cyberspace for searches of "language" within e-mails and Internet postings violates individual privacy. What if the person doing the searches are, like us, sleuthers, trying to do research for self-edification purposes, or looking/using search terms to write a book, etc.?

When someone posts on the internet you are posting to the world. Once you post something to the WWW you have made a statement or posting that is set in stone and goes viral for all to see. Screening cyberspace is nothing new to LE. In this case, it may be one avenue of a few that may provide some answers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MeanBean