GUILTY CT - Alyssiah Wiley, 20, ECSU student, Willimantic, 20 April 2013

From the affadavit:

Jermaine has a history of violence with A and the realtionship was very rocky according to witnesses.

1. The CCTV shows her leaving with J and never returning
2. Her cell phone last ping was near his house
3. He refuses to cooperate with police
4. His statement doesn't match the facts they have
5. He had her DNA evidence in his car(non-blood fluids )
6. The car was recently cleaned and detailed
7. Cell records show J was with Alyssiah through the evening of the 20th. The last text message from A's phone was sent at 2303hrs.
8. Cell records show J was cheating on A and using a second phone to text woman #2 that night
9. The fight around 11pm that night appears legit, with texts confirming.
10. A had texted an ex that day and planned to meet after 11pm when he got off work. This is an ex J threatened to kill in the past.
11. He told police he dropped her at a gas station in Willimantic, then changed it to "just before the school", and the time he gave unfortunately coincides with him having a text conversation on his other phone with his other girlfriend
12. J's mom saw them arrive at the house together around 2am, but Allyssiah was not there when she returned at 8am. A was already supposed to be dropped off by then.
11. J called another woman at 11:13PM that night from Willimantic and spoke to her for 46 minutes. This woman knew him as julian robson and met him on a dating site. They had a date lined up that night (!) She stated he told her he was stuck in traffic. When she called a half hour after their 46 min conversation ended, he was still "stuck in traffic". So this is over an hour of traffic in the middle of the night between Hartford (supposedly) and Bridgeport, but we know he was in Willimantic. They met the next night instead, when he gave her a new cell phone number.
12. A witness states he threatened to "get rid of her" in the days leading up to her disappearance.
13. Same witness says he reacted strangely when asked if he had anything to do with it. Richards stated (to this witness) that he was the main suspect because he was the last person to be with her.
14. Alyssiah was found only 1.6 miles from J's house, with it being it being her only reason to be in the area. Black plastic bags were found near/around the bones and Dr. H. Wayne Carver II MD, of the Office ofthe Chief Medical Examiners Office, in Farmington, CT examined the human remains and determined that they have been cut by a human, with a sharp tool. (later referred to as a knife in coverage of the trial)
15. Cell phone records place J in close proximity to the remains on the 21st of April

I am new to this case so am not yet aware of what other evidence has been disclosed since this document, but the above is enough IMO. How can this mistrial twice? He had no alibi.

From the affadavit:

Jermaine has a history of violence with A and the realtionship was very rocky according to witnesses.

1. The CCTV shows her leaving with J and never returning
2. Her cell phone last ping was near his house
3. He refuses to cooperate with police
4. His statement doesn't match the facts they have
5. He had her DNA evidence in his car(non-blood fluids )
6. The car was recently cleaned and detailed
7. Cell records show J was with Alyssiah through the evening of the 20th. The last text message from A's phone was sent at 2303hrs.
8. Cell records show J was cheating on A and using a second phone to text woman #2 that night
9. The fight around 11pm that night appears legit, with texts confirming.
10. A had texted an ex that day and planned to meet after 11pm when he got off work. This is an ex J threatened to kill in the past.
11. He told police he dropped her at a gas station in Willimantic, then changed it to "just before the school", and the time he gave unfortunately coincides with him having a text conversation on his other phone with his other girlfriend
12. J's mom saw them arrive at the house together around 2am, but Allyssiah was not there when she returned at 8am. A was already supposed to be dropped off by then.
11. J called another woman at 11:13PM that night from Willimantic and spoke to her for 46 minutes. This woman knew him as julian robson and met him on a dating site. They had a date lined up that night (!) She stated he told her he was stuck in traffic. When she called a half hour after their 46 min conversation ended, he was still "stuck in traffic". So this is over an hour of traffic in the middle of the night between Hartford (supposedly) and Bridgeport, but we know he was in Willimantic. They met the next night instead, when he gave her a new cell phone number.
12. A witness states he threatened to "get rid of her" in the days leading up to her disappearance.
13. Same witness says he reacted strangely when asked if he had anything to do with it. Richards stated (to this witness) that he was the main suspect because he was the last person to be with her.
14. Alyssiah was found only 1.6 miles from J's house, with it being it being her only reason to be in the area. Black plastic bags were found near/around the bones and Dr. H. Wayne Carver II MD, of the Office ofthe Chief Medical Examiners Office, in Farmington, CT examined the human remains and determined that they have been cut by a human, with a sharp tool. (later referred to as a knife in coverage of the trial)
15. Cell phone records place J in close proximity to the remains on the 21st of April

I am new to this case so am not yet aware of what other evidence has been disclosed since this document, but the above is enough IMO. How can this mistrial twice? He had no alibi.

BBM

I'm not sure if his mother saw the two of them at 2am or 2pm. If you look at the warrant/affidavit (on page 9 - last third of document) she says she saw them at 2:15 (with no am or pm and no indication of military time) on 4/20 before she left for her overnight shift at the nursing home. Throughout the document, military time is used (e.g. 1843hrs) or, if when a colon is used, an am or pm is added. It's just a little ambiguous to me but I took it as she saw them in the afternoon. Also, it doesn't make sense that his mother would work a 5 or 6 hour shift starting in the middle of the night if she was doing the "overnight" shift, IMO.

He picked Allyssiah up at 12:38pm. At 2:11pm, her cell phone pinged in the Route 8 area, south of Shelton, CT. Depending on exactly where they were near Rt 8, it seems as if they were at most about 10 minutes from Jermaine's house (which is on the north side of Bridgeport).

Jermaine's mother was the last person (other than Jermaine) to see Allyssiah alive. There are only texts throughout the day which indicate she was alive (assuming she was the one texting) until 11:03pm on 4/20. I think she broke up with Jermaine and intended to go up to her friend's dorm room just as she texted. Poor baby.

Does anyone know if her phone was recovered? If so, I wonder if his fingerprints are on it?

With all of the evidence available, it seems likely that Jermaine murdered Allyssiah. I guess the juries need DNA or the actual dismemberment tool connecting Jermaine to her death to find him guilty. CT must really feel like he's the culprit if they go after him for a third time.

Rest in peace, Allyssiah. My heart goes out to your mom and I hope she, herself, finds peace soon.

:(

Slain woman’s sister also a murder victim

http://www.ctpost.com/local/article/Slain-woman-s-sister-also-a-murder-victim-11947433.php

The young woman found murdered with her 9-year-old daughter in their Waterbury apartment Friday morning had helped her mother found a victim’s organization following the grisly death of her sister - 20-year-old college student Alyssiah Marie Wiley.

Waterbury police say they have a strong case in Friday’s deaths of Chaquinequea Brodie, 29, and her 9-year-old daughter- they have charged Brodie’s boyfriend, Anthony Rutherford, 28, who police say lived at the home.

“The hardest thing for me as a parent to do is continue living on after suffering the brutally heinous loss of my baby…so I thought,” Martin posted on the organization’s Facebook page on Saturday. “I know now that the hardest thing is to continue to live on after suffering the brutally heinous loss of two more of my babies.”

The third trial for Jermaine Richards is tentatively scheduled to begin on September 5th.

Trial opens in college student’s murder

http://www.ctpost.com/local/article/Trial-opens-in-college-student-s-murder-12177872.php

Alyssiah Marie Wiley’s friends at Eastern Connecticut State University knew she was dating Jermaine Richards but none of them had ever met him and he had never attending any campus events with her - to them he was only ever a voice on her phone.

One by one they came into court here Wednesday, Wiley’s three closest friends at college, to relive incidents that occurred four years ago as state prosecutors try for a third time to convict Richards of Wiley’s murder.

On Thursday the trial resumes with Corradino and Senior Assistant State’s Attorney Ann Lawlor attempting to convince Judge Richards, outside the presence of the jury, to allow them to put on testimony from Wiley’s family members before the jury about an incident in which they claim Richards tried choking Wiley following an argument.

After two mistrials, state takes another shot at convicting alleged killer

Tierra D. says she felt like Jermaine Richards was controlling Alyssiah Wiley, especially, she says, during a February 2013 conference that Downie and Wiley attended off-campus.

"We were set to go out and she couldn't, when we got there. And then she said 'I can't go.'"

Another woman testified how Wiley would always have to tell Richards who she was with when they were speaking on the phone.

But, Richards' attorney, Walter Hussey, turned the tables on the women when he tried to establish that, because these women rarely ever socialized with Wiley away from campus, they couldn't possibly know what Wiley and Richards' relationship was truly like.

I really hope the pros can address whatever issues made the last two juries somehow not convict this .

http://www.wfsb.com/story/36325115/trial-continues-for-boyfriends-accused-of-murdering-ecsu-student

On the witness stand, J. Wright, a former high school friend of Richards, recalled a conversation he had in which Richards said Wiley was cheating on him.

"I told him just leave her alone, move on. At that point he said, 'she doesn't know who she's messing with, I'm a nurse, I'll get rid of her,'" Wright said.

During the cross examination, Richards' attorney focused on the fact that Wright himself has been in trouble with the lase. Wright was arrested twice for stealing from an employer, including once for $4 million.

http://www.wfsb.com/story/36339414/trial-in-ecsu-students-death-continues

Prosecutors wanted to submit two DVDs they say police found inside the garage of Jermaine Richard’s Bridgeport home, DVDs that deal with death and dismemberment, which is what they say he did to Wiley after killing her.

The two DVD’s entitled "absolute death" and "death the final journey" are allegedly pretty graphic.

Judge Earl Richards told both sides he wanted more time to review case law and allow Richards and his attorney to review the DVDs before making a ruling on whether or not the jury will see the video on Tuesday.

This makes me so sick. Hope they can nail him this time. Poor family having to go through this over and over. Reading about the mom just broke my heart.

At third trial, college student murder suspect has no interest in taking the stand

http://www.wfsb.com/story/36359290/at-third-trial-college-student-murder-suspect-has-no-interest-in-taking-the-stand

The defense said it needed just half of the morning before resting its case.

It called just one witness, Richards' mother.

After that, Richards was heard from for the first time. That's when he told the judge that he would not be testifying.

Closing arguments are set for Thursday.

The jury will then get its instructions from the judge and then start to deliberate.

http://www.ctpost.com/news/article/Nurse-found-guilty-of-student-s-murder-12200637.php

It took less than four hours over two days for a jury to find a local nurse guilty of killing a female college student and dismembering her body.

Two previous 12-member juries had deadlocked six to six on whether Jermaine Richards killed 20-year-old Alyssiah Marie Wiley of West Haven sometime after April 19, 2013.

However, the third jury, after a stream-lined week and a half trial, declared Richaards guilty of the crime.

Thank God this poor girl finally got some justice.

http://www.wfsb.com/story/36375793/man-guilty-of-murdering-girlfriend-after-three-trials

"It doesn't bring my baby back," said Corrinna Martin, Wiley's mother. "Today is a bittersweet day. But it is also one that I believe is well-deserved."

"Not just the past four years, the past month have been devastating for my family and I," Martin said. "But by the grace of God, we're here and preferably this will be one of many more victories to come.

Sentencing is scheduled for October 27th.

Man convicted in killing, dismemberment asks for new trial

A West Haven mother’s heartbreak was extended Tuesday in a Bridgeport court room.

Jermaine Richards, accused of murdering and dismembering his girlfriend, Alyssiah Wiley, over four years ago, was convicted of murder in September, capping what was his third trial. But Tuesday, Ms. Wiley‘s family hit potentially another roadblock.

"This is a complete manipulating tactic," said Corinna Martin, Wiley's mother.

http://www.wfsb.com/story/37049403/man-found-guilty-of-murdering-girlfriend-after-three-trials-not-sentenced-today

The reason behind for the request for a new trial is one of the jurors has a friend or a friend of a friend that knows Richards and that person has been posting about the trial/case online. The defense said in their request for a new trial that this information could have influenced the juror.

The judge said he would consider the motion and there is a hearing set for next week.

Witness falls short in murder hearing

https://www.ctpost.com/local/article/Witness-falls-short-in-murder-hearing-12442477.php

During a hearing Tuesday, Richards’ lawyer, Walter Hussey, told Judge Earl Richards that Warren, a former witness in the case, was related to one of the jurors in the case and had information that would cause the guilty verdict to be overturned.

On the stand Tuesday, Warren, the mother of the children of a cousin of Jermaine Richards, testified she realized she was related to one of the male jurors in the case when she saw him enter the courtroom during the trial.

But under cross examination by Senior Assistant State’s Attorney Joseph Corradino, Warren couldn’t recall the last time she had seen the juror on a social basis. And she said she had never discussed the Richards’ case with him.

Nurse sentenced for dismembering girlfriend

Jermaine Richards was sentenced to 60 years in prison with no possibility of parole Friday for killing and dismembering his girlfriend.

https://www.ctpost.com/local/article/Nurse-gets-60-years-for-killing-dismembering-12722968.php

Corinna Martin had waited nearly five years, through three jury trials, to confront the man who killed her 20-year-old daughter and left the young woman’s partial remains in the Trumbull woods.

“It was a difficult but short birth,” she began, shaking with emotion. “She was one of the most beautiful and perfect children … she overcame a lot of adversity to become a beautiful and brilliant young woman.”

Martin managed to smile, then: “Twenty-seven and a half days we searched and we searched, early in the morning, late at night, neighborhood after neighborhood. My heart broke in me when the remains of my child were confirmed — my child, my child,” she cried.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back