GUILTY CT - Connie Dabate, 39, murdered in her Ellington home, 23 Dec 2015 *husband arrested*

Digital technology really helps LE catch perps. It's always the little things the perp doesn't think about. The fitbit isn't lying when it shows movement and if she was wearing the fitbit when her body was found, it certainly tells a different story than what her husband told. Busted!

I think this guy is cooked. The arrest warrant also referenced the alarm system, keying off & on, did not correlate with what he reported to LE. Very interesting to read...., IMO.

I think this guy is cooked. The arrest warrant also referenced the alarm system, keying off & on, did not correlate with what he reported to LE. Very interesting to read...., IMO.

I wonder if the husband was trying to frame the contractors re the cracked windshield and rags that were put in the exhaust pipe of Connie's car. She had a lawsuit against the contractors but perhaps it was her husband that did those things. Sounds like another husband gas lighting his wife, JMO./

I wonder if the husband was trying to frame the contractors re the cracked windshield and rags that were put in the exhaust pipe of Connie's car. She had a lawsuit against the contractors but perhaps it was her husband that did those things. Sounds like another husband gas lighting his wife, JMO./

My intuition tells me it was totally set up by the husband. I think his mind went to killing her from time to time but only got the guts to do so after feeling pressure from the girlfriend.

Allegedly and IMO

Why did it take so long to arrest him? He was clearly lying from day 1. What intruder takes nothing from the house, kills the wife and ties up the husband? That should have pegged LE's hinky meter for openers. There was no sign of forced entry, he sent his boss an email from his HOME computer stating that he had to go home to check on an alarm. The alarm didn't go off until 10:11??? The search dogs didn't pick up the scent of an intruder. He said the wife came home and the intruder shot her. The intruder was allegedly wearing a mask; wouldn't it make more sense for him to run? And then he tried to collect on an insurance policy 5 days after Connie's murder and the icing on the cake is the pregnant girlfriend. The Fitbit evidence seals the deal, but really, LE had plenty of evidence early on. IMHO.

It shouldn't have taken them more than 3 months to arrest him.

:cow:

It shouldn't have taken them more than 3 months to arrest him.

If you've only started to follow true crime recently you may not understand that the DA only gets one bite of the proverbial apple. And upon arrest, a defendant is entitled by law to all the evidence that's been gathered against him or her. Until a DA is convinced they have enough evidence to convince a jury of 12 BARD (beyond a reasonable doubt) that the defendant is guilty, it does them no good to move forward with an arrest because that starts the ball rolling and they have to deliver the goods or lose the opportunity to obtain conviction.

If a jury acquits a defendant of the charges, that person can never be charged again for the same crime by the state (hence the "one bite of the apple"). Smart DAs know that you don't rush a case just because you really want to get the guy or gal. Especially if it's someone who is not a flight risk, has ties to the community, and isn't considered a danger to the general public, then they gather the evidence and wait till there's enough in their opinion to take it to a grand jury and get an indictment and, most importantly, prove the case in a court of law, in which they hold 100% of the burden of proof.

Saying what the timeline 'should be' implies a person thinks they know more than the professional investigators doing the job. 3 months is actually relatively fast for a spousal murder case, based on various cases I've followed, some of which took years before a spouse or family member was arrested.

If you've only started to follow true crime recently you may not understand that the DA only gets one bite of the proverbial apple. And upon arrest, a defendant is entitled by law to all the evidence that's been gathered against him or her. Until a DA is convinced they have enough evidence to convince a jury of 12 BARD (beyond a reasonable doubt) that the defendant is guilty, it does them no good to move forward with an arrest because that starts the ball rolling and they have to deliver the goods or lose the opportunity to obtain conviction.

If a jury acquits a defendant of the charges, that person can never be charged again for the same crime by the state (hence the "one bite of the apple"). Smart DAs know that you don't rush a case just because you really want to get the guy or gal. Especially if it's someone who is not a flight risk, has ties to the community, and isn't considered a danger to the general public, then they gather the evidence and wait till there's enough in their opinion to take it to a grand jury and get an indictment and, most importantly, prove the case in a court of law, in which they hold 100% of the burden of proof.

Saying what the timeline 'should be' implies a person thinks they know more than the professional investigators doing the job. 3 months is actually relatively fast for a spousal murder case, based on various cases I've followed, some of which took years before a spouse or family member was arrested.

Okay.

I have been following true crime since 2002, but only joined WS Feb 2014. Admittedly, I do not follow many cases.

I completely understand that it takes time to build a case, and perhaps 3 months is an aggressive time frame. But you may have missed my point. This happened in Dec 2015, and IMHO, the DA had quite a bit of evidence.

And in no way did I mean to imply that I know more than professional investigators, LOL.

IMHO, the DA had quite a bit of evidence.

But the DA didn't feel he had enough and once enough was found, the arrest occurred and prosecution of the case will move forward.

There was a terrible spousal murder case in my area that occurred in 2006 and the husband wasn't arrested until late 2009. His first trial, in 2011, ended in a hung jury and then he was out on bail until his 2nd trial a year later in 2012. Thankfully he was convicted of first degree murder and has been in prison ever since. Those were 3 long years of waiting and hoping for an arrest, for the people who followed his case from day 1. I started following that case after he was arrested and it still felt like a very slow journey to justice. All told it took 5 years and 4 months from murder to conviction.

But the DA didn't feel he had enough and once enough was found, the arrest occurred and prosecution of the case will move forward.

There was a terrible spousal murder case in my area that occurred in 2006 and the husband wasn't arrested until late 2009. His first trial, in 2011, ended in a hung jury and then he was out on bail until his 2nd trial a year later in 2012. Thankfully he was convicted of first degree murder and has been in prison ever since. Those were 3 long years of waiting and hoping for an arrest, for the people who followed his case from day 1. I started following that case after he was arrested and it still felt like a very slow journey to justice. All told it took 5 years and 4 months from murder to conviction.

Ah, that must have been grueling to wait so long for justice.

I started sleuthing with the Laci Peterson case in 2002, somewhat close to my area. Laci was so beautiful and her smile drew me in. It took 4-5 months, IIRC, for the arrest and it seemed as though the DA was just waiting for her body to be found. The trial was a media circus. I'm sure you've heard of this case.

I followed the Laci Peterson case from day 1. The trial itself was held in the town in which I used to live (but was no longer living there by the time it occurred). That case happened quickly by comparison, 26 months from murder to death sentencing. He was arrested 3.5 months after the murder.

Richard Dabate, Charged With Killing Wife Connie, Pleads Not Guilty

http://www.courant.com/news/connecticut/hc-richard-dabate-court-appearance-20170428-story.html

Richard Dabate, charged with killing his wife, Connie, in their Ellington home in 2015 pleaded not guilty Friday in Superior Court in Rockville.

Richard Dabate, 40, appeared in a brief hearing where his lawyer, Hubert Santos, entered the plea before Judge Vernon Oliver.

Oliver also ruled that cameras would be allowed in the courtroom for Dabate's proceedings over the objections of Santos and Tolland State's Attorney Matthew Gedansky. The case has received nationwide attention, in part because police used Connie Dabate's Fitbit movements on the morning of her death in their investigation.

Richard Dabate's next court date is May 26.

And then he tried to collect on an insurance policy 5 days after Connie's murder ...
:cow:
Snipped by me. I think this dude is guilty as hell but this line got me thinking. I've heard similar in other cases. But when is the 'right' time to call about insurance? Last summer my FIL passed away and the funeral home wanted full payment before proceeding My MIL had to call the insurance company and get the ball rolling immediately (as funeral home would then contact insurance co and get their share first). If my hubs, knock wood, passed, I think I would need to call very soon after, just for future plans and lost wages.
I almost wonder if this guy thought about this and decided 5 days would look better.
Looking forward to this trial. I would rather LE take their time and cross their Ts and dot their Is instead of rushing to trial and having double jeopardy attach even though that wait is hellish for the victim's family and friends. Thanks for posting all the links.

I completely understand that it takes time to build a case, and perhaps 3 months is an aggressive time frame. But you may have missed my point. This happened in Dec 2015, and IMHO, the DA had quite a bit of evidence.

I think in this case, because of the family and the fact that there will be a very good defense attorney hired, the DA wanted to make sure everything was irrefutable before an arrest was made.

I did grow up in this town until Jr. High.

Sent from my SM-T377P using Tapatalk

I think in this case, because of the family and the fact that there will be a very good defense attorney hired, the DA wanted to make sure everything was irrefutable before an arrest was made.

Sent from my SM-T377P using Tapatalk

It's still considered a beautiful, safe town. Jmho

Where was your point made? I don't see any other post from you in this thread.

Where was your point made? I don't see any other post from you in this thread.

I think the first paragraph in Crazyjster's post was supposed to be a quote of part of Kapua's post (#26) that for some reason did not show as a quote. .

Judge Says Richard Dabate Must Reveal What He Did With Slain Wife's Money

http://www.courant.com/news/connecticut/hc-dabate-murder-court-appearance-20170526-story.html

A probate judge Friday gave Richard Dabate Jr. 60 days to file an accounting of what he did with his slain wife's finances while he was administrator of her estate for the past 17 months.

On the same day Probate Judge O. James Purnell III issued his order seeking a "final accounting of (Dabate's) doings," Dabate appeared before another judge in Superior Court for a brief pretrial hearing on charges that he murdered Connie Dabate on Dec. 23, 2015.

Dabate didn't speak in his brief court appearance. His attorney, Hubert Santos, said he is still reviewing the vast amount of evidence turned over by the state and asked for more time. Santos did hint at a possible strategy when asked whether he objected to a television camera being in the courtroom.

His next court date is scheduled for June 16th

Connie Dabate's Sister Named Executor Of Will

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jasonleblanc061975@gmail.