GUILTY CT - Maren Sanchez, 16, fatally stabbed, Milford, 25 April 2014

Huffington Post's in depth article on Maren Sanchez and the "Gender Gap No One Is Talking About":

(Snip)

When a boy, maybe out of embarrassment and anger, pushes a girl like Sanchez down the stairs and stabs her to death in their school, status, power and domination aren't the first thing that comes to mind. Just sadness for everyone. In the case of teenagers in particular there is such evident tragedy in the loss of the lives of two young people and the profound scarring of those around them.

But, soon after, status, power -- and the institutionalized tolerance for violent male domination -- have to be part of any constructive conversation. Otherwise we ensure the institutional tolerance that enables these crimes and reproduces a violent and misogynistic status quo.

Much More @ Link, including statistics & other cases....
http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/5215622

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This sounds like case of rejection gone really bad, like Jodi Arias or Lori Drew. Some people are sensitive to rejection and outright fear it. A jilted lover in this case.

It could be that he may have asked another girl (or more) who wouldn't/couldn't go with him before asking Maren, and her rejection just sent him over the edge. Maybe she had paid some attention to him, as she might have anyone else, and he mistook it for a come-on, thus the late, late invitation to the dance. Teens, as we know, can be very highly strung on things like rejection... Everything seems so magnified when you are 14, 15, 16, 17, or 18 years old -- the highs are the highest, and the lows are the lowest.

It's such a tragedy for the school and its students/faculty, his parents/family, her parents/family, and the boy himself. And, as we have sadly, sadly seen before, the world and those that were dear to her and those that would have been affected by her in the future, have been deprived of the benefits of knowing her as she became an adult.

There are too many angels in heaven who have gotten there in these and other tragic ways...
icon9.gif

Rest in peace, beautiful Maren.

This case has broken my heart. This young girl had such a promising future, it sounds like she had such a love of life - how quickly it was cruelly taken away.

I have no problems with the juvenile perp being charged as an adult. This was a vicious attack, and no doubt premeditated considering he had the weapon on his person when he confronted her that morning.

A sadly rhetorical question: How did he gain entrance to the school with a knife on his person? So many schools have installed metal detectors -- in high schools, especially... I guess this one had no such detectors -- but I'll bet, sadly, that there will be one soon. Please note that this remark is in no way a slam or negative about the school. The schools in my area have them only because of necessity owing to prior circumstances.

"Back in my day," the thing that students brought into school which got them in trouble was cigarettes -- if they were under 18 y/o.
And maybe a joint -- which would have been very, very rare, and did not happen when I was there. Weapons were not a thought back then. <smh>

Huffington Post's in depth article on Maren Sanchez and the "Gender Gap No One Is Talking About":

>>>> snipped by borndem <<<<

Wow, kimi, what an amazing find. And what an eloquent and puts-it-right-there article. Huffington Post is one of my favorites. This one was a bulls-eye, IMHO.

I was going to list folks who should especially read this article like teachers, parents, etc., etc., etc., but then I realized I would be listing every person or group in the USA. There are no exemptions, IMO.

Thanks for the maddening, necessary, sadly accurate and engaging read. Now I'm going to either cry or go out in the street and scream.

Wow, kimi, what an amazing find. And what an eloquent and puts-it-right-there article. Huffington Post is one of my favorites. This one was a bulls-eye, IMHO.

I was going to list folks who should especially read this article like teachers, parents, etc., etc., etc., but then I realized I would be listing every person or group in the USA. There are no exemptions, IMO.

Thanks for the maddening, necessary, sadly accurate and engaging read. Now I'm going to either cry or go out in the street and scream.

I have shared this HuffPo article with SO many people, so you are a mind reader, borndem.

It is an article everyone should read, at least once. Then, we need to figure out how to do something about it.

Because the fact of the matter is, the status quo is no longer acceptable. Maren's brutal murder is proof positive of this.

There shouldn't need to be a need for any further catalyst.

I share your rage.

#RIPMaren

A sadly rhetorical question: How did he gain entrance to the school with a knife on his person? So many schools have installed metal detectors -- in high schools, especially... I guess this one had no such detectors -- but I'll bet, sadly, that there will be one soon. Please note that this remark is in no way a slam or negative about the school. The schools in my area have them only because of necessity owing to prior circumstances.

"Back in my day," the thing that students brought into school which got them in trouble was cigarettes -- if they were under 18 y/o.
And maybe a joint -- which would have been very, very rare, and did not happen when I was there. Weapons were not a thought back then. <smh>

BBM:

There is NO metal detector @ Jonathan Law High School, the charged individual is also a student @ JLHS. The Milford police chief declared "it's safe".
http://www.nhregister.com/general-n...to-death-at-milfords-jonathan-law-high-school

I've been fortunate to present on many Career Days throughout CT, only a few schools (mostly "inner city") have the detectors (either stationary or wand or both). Quite a bit of the attitude & atmosphere regarding the issue comes from the "open campus" philosophy, IMO.
http://www.nhregister.com/general-n...r-schools-looking-like-fortresses-say-experts

BBM:

There is NO metal detector @ Jonathan Law High School, the charged individual is also a student @ JLHS. The Milford police chief declared "it's safe".
http://www.nhregister.com/general-n...to-death-at-milfords-jonathan-law-high-school

I've been fortunate to present on many Career Days throughout CT, only a few schools (mostly "inner city") have the detectors (either stationary or wand or both). Quite a bit of the attitude & atmosphere regarding the issue comes from the "open campus" philosophy, IMO.
http://www.nhregister.com/general-n...r-schools-looking-like-fortresses-say-experts

We need to change with the times. It is a sad fact but it is something we need to do.

It could be that he may have asked another girl (or more) who wouldn't/couldn't go with him before asking Maren, and her rejection just sent him over the edge. Maybe she had paid some attention to him, as she might have anyone else, and he mistook it for a come-on, thus the late, late invitation to the dance. Teens, as we know, can be very highly strung on things like rejection... Everything seems so magnified when you are 14, 15, 16, 17, or 18 years old -- the highs are the highest, and the lows are the lowest.

It's such a tragedy for the school and its students/faculty, his parents/family, her parents/family, and the boy himself. And, as we have sadly, sadly seen before, the world and those that were dear to her and those that would have been affected by her in the future, have been deprived of the benefits of knowing her as she became an adult.

There are too many angels in heaven who have gotten there in these and other tragic ways...
icon9.gif

I wonder if there were other things going on besides the rejection. Anyways, very sad story.

'She's one of those kids you want every kid to be like': Friends hold emotional vigil for teen stabbed to death by potential prom date who she turned down

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-Emotional-vigil-teen-stabbed-death-prom.html

Case update via linked article (thank you, Blondie In Spokane):

(snip)

The case was expected to go before a Juvenile Court judge in New Haven on Monday, but it's not clear whether that happened. Ansonia-Milford State's Attorney Kevin Lawlor, Plaskon's lawyers, and a spokesman for the Chief State's Attorney's Office all said they wouldn't be releasing any information Monday.

Under state law, murder cases involving 16- and 17-year-old defendants are automatically transferred from Juvenile Court to adult Superior Court. It's not clear when that will happen.

---

I have a feeling CP has a legal team, busily at work, defending him. The fact we heard no update on Monday is disconcerting.

#RIPMaren
#JusticeForMaren

I noticed latest DM article made no mention / did not restate any of the quoted interviews with Maren's & CP's classmates who claimed a previous relationship existed between Maren and CP.

I personally haven't seen that sourced anywhere else but the DM & a few "blogs." I guess it's the thought of CP's defense team using Maren's disposition against her further, as part of defending their client, that upsets me. It's almost like victim-blaming. If she never dated him, they can't say he was a "jealous ex" - and he becomes more culpable IMV. :moo:

Semantics, perhaps, but CP shouldn't be allowed an inch of leniency after doing this. I'm all for the protection of rights. It's just that to do this and not take responsibility, is so cowardly. JMO

I hope the true facts of the case come to light. My continued thoughts and prayers to Maren's family, friends, teachers, all who loved her. The thought of them sitting through the defense of the Maren's killing (murder IMO), makes me physically ill.

:moo:

My opinion is that shootings and stabbings at schools are still astronomically rare, that metal detectors at schools are unnecessary. Just look at how much national coverage just one person being killed at a school gets. Anyway, are they going to have them at every door? An outsider could just go in a side door.

There are other ways to fix this issue than metal detectors. One of my suggestions (that I do not hear mentioned) is that starting in kindergarten, there will be a class that will teach kids to respect each other (the focus will be making sure boys don't grow up to be misogynic but you know people would flip out if they knew that ugh so we will keep it on the down low). I think that a lot of violence we see is not just due to mental health, abuse, or access to weapons, but also a mindset that some men hold. This is just not about school violence, but any type of violence.

My opinion is that shootings and stabbings at schools are still astronomically rare, that metal detectors at schools are unnecessary. Just look at how much national coverage just one person being killed at a school gets. Anyway, are they going to have them at every door? An outsider could just go in a side door.

There are other ways to fix this issue than metal detectors. One of my suggestions (that I do not hear mentioned) is that starting in kindergarten, there will be a class that will teach kids to respect each other (the focus will be making sure boys don't grow up to be misogynic but you know people would flip out if they knew that ugh so we will keep it on the down low). I think that a lot of violence we see is not just due to mental health, abuse, or access to weapons, but also a mindset that some men hold. This is just not about school violence, but any type of violence.

Yes, Eileen.....very good points. A multi-faceted approach is necessary and not just the current take on metal detectors being the total solution.

(Snip)

When a boy, maybe out of embarrassment and anger, pushes a girl like Sanchez down the stairs and stabs her to death in their school, status, power and domination aren't the first thing that comes to mind. Just sadness for everyone. In the case of teenagers in particular there is such evident tragedy in the loss of the lives of two young people and the profound scarring of those around them.

But, soon after, status, power -- and the institutionalized tolerance for violent male domination -- have to be part of any constructive conversation. Otherwise we ensure the institutional tolerance that enables these crimes and reproduces a violent and misogynistic status quo.

Excellent article! The societal philosophy of "Boys will be boys" breeds Narcissistic men, imo.

These Narcissists are abusive bullies who shed their toxicity down through generations.

:twocents:

We need to change with the times. It is a sad fact but it is something we need to do.
Our local fairgrounds at first didn't want to install metal detectors because they didn't want the stigma ( wanted to retain the image of an old-fashioned fair), until there was a shooting at the fair. They finally installed metal detectors at all the entrance gates. Simple and necessary solution. Everyone accepts that it is necessary and feels safer because of it.

So glad to read the killer is being charged as an adult. Such good news. I hope they throw the book at him.

During a special court session convened at the medical facility, Plaskon's lawyer, Richard Meehan, Jr., said his client had been advised of his rights and told that he was being charged with murder as an adult. He faces 25 to 60 years in prison if convicted.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/29/justice/connecticut-school-killing-charges/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

So glad to read the killer is being charged as an adult. Such good news. I hope they throw the book at him.

During a special court session convened at the medical facility, Plaskon's lawyer, Richard Meehan, Jr., said his client had been advised of his rights and told that he was being charged with murder as an adult. He faces 25 to 60 years in prison if convicted.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/29/justice/connecticut-school-killing-charges/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Thank you for the update gxm.

So, they had to go to the facility to complete this. The defense appears to be drawing a line in the sand. :moo:

If they decide to go with the insanity defense, the burden of proof is theirs.

It will be an uphill battle. As it should be. I feel the State will be able to prove premeditation.

Thank you for the update gxm.

So, they had to go to the facility to complete this. The defense appears to be drawing a line in the sand. :moo:

If they decide to go with the insanity defense, the burden of proof is theirs.

It will be an uphill battle. As it should be. I feel the State will be able to prove premeditation.

BBM:
Standard practice for any individuals within a healthcare facility, offers the accused the ability to be present yet continue medical treatment.
This psych eval. was a joint decision, provides the prosecution & defense a "baseline" of competency to stand trial.

Yep, IF the defense decides to go with diminished capacity, it WILL be an up-hill battle. There's also the possibility of a plea bargain eliminating a trial.

Yes, Eileen.....very good points. A multi-faceted approach is necessary and not just the current take on metal detectors being the total solution.

I think metal detectors work best for schools in the inner city, which is where they mostly where they are. If you have a school where you have kids in gangs, then you don't want a fight starting, and someone pulls out a knife.

I have to wonder why so many school shootings happen in middle class or higher towns. There is a huge problem with crime in Chicago and Detroit, but you don't hear about about school massacres there.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whimzee
Back