Dad Shoots up Daughter's Laptop For Facebook Comments - Abuse or Good Parenting?

I've been known to beat a Nintendo DS to death with a sledge hammer :yes: But it was only after many, many warnings and upon the umpteenth time he was caught sneaking it out and playing it all night long when he had school the next morning. He had also stolen video games from other kids, stolen money from me, stolen my iphone, stolen from school and was placed in the alternative education program and...he stole from the teacher while there! The child also couldn't tell the truth to save his life, even when caught redhanded, so yeah, I beat that NDS all to pieces and felt great about doing it. I bought it, I paid for the games for it, it was in my house and so was he...my house, my rules. :wink:

My house, my rules too. I have NO problem with what this father did. Teach that child a little respect. All I ask of my son is to respect me, his dad, and his belongings. If he doesn't there will be consequences.

I did take his X-box, yank it out of the wall and throw it on the floor after I heard him cursing out someone in chat (he was 13 at the time). We're not exactly in a financial position to destroy such things, so it went in the closet for several months. He has it back now, but it's in the living room where I can hear his every word, and he has been nothing but respectful. Sometimes it takes extreme actions to get results.

And I don't understand all the talk of why he destroyed HER computer. When did it become her computer? Did she buy it? Did she fix it? NO. It was the parents computer and they could do whatever they wanted with it. I don't think there would have been quite an uproar if we saw him run it over with a truck - but it upset people that it was a gun (which makes it so much more violent). I looked at his you tube account and it appears he's a gun enthusiast and not some .

By looking at his facebook even his daughter is defending him against the haters. So I hope she learned a good lesson and in turn respects her parents and all they have done for her.

Like dad, I moved out at 17, got a job (2 jobs), had my own apartment, etc. If this child doesn't start learning now, she may never. I say kudos to him.

My 14 has lots of chores, lots of school activites, and I do expect him to get a job this summer (at 15). I already told him that he will then pay his own cell phone bill, and any extras. We'll provide food, a roof over his head, and basic clothing. But if he wants 100.00 Air Jordan's - ya better save up.

Call me a rotten parent. But my goal is to raise a responsible respectful child. I believe this dad is doing the same thing.

MOO

Mel

I think shooting the laptop was way overboard. I totally agree with what he's saying but using a gun is not the right thing to do, imo.

It doesn't seem shocking at all to me, but I am a multiple gun owner! The point was to destroy the laptop, and I think he chose a way that was accessible to him. Would it really have been different if he had videoed the hard drive being fed into the fireplace?

The fewer excuses to involve guns in anything, by far the better.

Please. Guns are not evil! I am a good girl, I promise. I own several guns, as do the other members of my family. We don't use our guns for anything more than target shooting, (at least not until some idiot breaks into my home and threatens me or mine!) but we do believe, as the constitution seems to agree, that we have the right to bear arms!
This man did not shoot a person, he destroyed some property that he owned....It isn't an act of violence, at least IMO.

I have no clue. IIRC, he said he's in IT. Couldn't he have figured out a way to remove all the pieces and destroyed it that way? :dunno:
. Yes, I am sure he could have. But it probably wouldn't have had the impact that shooting the darn thing did!

It doesn't seem shocking at all to me, but I am a multiple gun owner! The point was to destroy the laptop, and I think he chose a way that was accessible to him. Would it really have been different if he had videoed the hard drive being fed into the fireplace?

Please. Guns are not evil! I am a good girl, I promise. I own several guns, as do the other members of my family. We don't use our guns for anything more than target shooting, (at least not until some idiot breaks into my home and threatens me or mine!) but we do believe, as the constitution seems to agree, that we have the right to bear arms!
This man did not shoot a person, he destroyed some property that he owned....It isn't an act of violence, at least IMO.

. Yes, I am sure he could have. But it probably wouldn't have had the impact that shooting the darn thing did!

BBM - I agree. That was definitely an "oh carp" moment. and a "look what I caused my father to do".

Giving it away, throwing it in the bin, or storing it in the closet wouldn't nearly have the same impact it obviously had on her (from what I've read).

Sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do!

My opinion only.

Mel

Quick comment (I've not yet read the article):

All he had to do was take it away, and give it to a school or charity in-need.

I have to wonder if some of these 'experts' are the same 'experts' who convinced the public at large that children should be praised constantly for nothing to build their self-esteem, which produced adults who can't get by in the world now because they were raised to believe you get something for nothing.

I applaud this guy's actions. The shooting of the laptop was startling, but IMO, that was the point. I find it refreshing to see an example of a parent who actually follows through on threatened discipline, and who doesn't just give their kids everything they want. Unfortunately I know too many parents whose children are now adults, and these parents can't seem to figure out why their kids turned out the way they did.

The impact for whom? The strangers viewing it or his daughter?

Do you think this video made an impact to other young teenagers? If not, why air out your dirty laundry to thousands of people? Why is it ok to suddenly show the world how you discipline your child? This is just one example (thankfully nobody was physically harmed except the laptop)but we've seen some other videos of parents disciplining their child where they force feed them or use tabasco sauce or give them cold baths, etc.

Sometimes I wonder if these types of messages being posted on social media sites do more harm than good and I wonder who the message is really intended for? I haven't looked today but last night, this guy had over 5000 "likes" on his facebook. He made a lot of friends, I guess.

It only takes one idiot to look at this and think what a great idea. If something/someone pisses me off, I'll just shoot it.

I don't agree with Youtube parenting. It's not a good idea IMO to make a public spectacle of the bumps and problems that any parent is going to have with their teenagers. Things that are put online stay there for a long time and follow your child for quite a while. If their future employers or prospective mother in laws google their name you don't want them to see pages and pages of discussion about some stupid teenaged rants and parental temper tantrums and think that this young person must come from a wacky family. It's our job to be the adult in the family and shooting up a laptop on youtube sounds like a juvenile response to me.

Here's another thread.
[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7591700#post7591700"]'Executing' your teen's laptop might feel good, but it's a bad idea, experts say - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

I don't agree with Youtube parenting. It's not a good idea IMO to make a public spectacle of the bumps and problems that any parent is going to have with their teenagers. Things that are put online stay there for a long time and follow your child for quite a while. If their future employers or prospective mother in laws google their name you don't want them to see pages and pages of discussion about some stupid teenaged rants and parental temper tantrums and think that this young person must come from a wacky family. It's our job to be the adult in the family and shooting up a laptop on youtube sounds like a juvenile response to me.

Gosh I hadn't even thought of that!

***disclaimer time/ this is JUST MOO***
amen kgeaux!!!! i too believe in our 2nd amendment. guns dont kill people, people kill people. and yes there are responsible gun owners, not every gun owner is a trigger happy redneck or .
apparently despite the guy working in IT, this daughter apparently has pulled a similiar stunt before, posting on what a terrible son of a gun her dad is, or what torture she is being subjected to,ect...he warned her she had better not pull a stunt like that again, and yet, despite that and him being in IT( hello, he is eventually gonna find out about it,some way or another) =she goes on a online/facebook triade again, and apparently disrespecting him, and a family friend( the "cleaning lady") -his reaction, sure may be a little extreme...but she had been warned and she kept right at it. and i cant blame him either. sure he could have given it away to the needy, or put in the fire place or in the wood chipper, but i think he did it for shock value and to leave a last impression on his daughter.
i can see the other arguments too( violence is never the answer, airing dirty laundry out to future in laws or employers, ect)

I think he looks like an absolute nut. He doesn't look too far off - IMHO - from that judge in Texas on video beating the daylights out of his daughter for downloading pirated music.

He mentions she just got off grounding for 3 MONTHS when this happened -

I am curious, too, how much of the household responsibilities are hers. He doesn't seem to disagree with the list of all she has to do.

I think once she's able to leave that household, she'll be gone forever. That man completely creeps me out.

I didn't have a problem with the video and ended up following up by reading his facebook. He seems to me like a smart man and a good parent.

I could have used some consistent parenting in my teen years, even if it meant more consistently strict parenting.

Must disagree. I hope he never puts the soapbox away. Also hoping if money comes out of his 15 minutes that it help his daughter towards a good college education. Honors math student and all.

I don't find him starved. I find him a little bemused to have such an audience. But while he's got it. . .

not too long ago her disrespect would have meant a trip to the shed, and a switch, or a belt.

she is unharmed, and i dont think she will forget the consequences of this stupidity anytime soon.

What was this father thinking!!! Perhaps he is doing his best to teach his daughter some values.

A homeless teen would love to trade places with his daughter in a heartbeat. I would imagine a homeless teen would be very grateful to have a bed to sleep in and make up in the morning, a floor to sweep, a counter to wipe off, clothes to wash and a place to wash them, not to mention a father who is able to provide all this for her and a college education in her future.

A father doing what a father should do.

I think the answer to the question is best answered with another question. Did she learn anything valuable from this?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back