Darnay Hoffman Does it Again

Thanks, candy, for the explanation. I don't recall, was Steinberg working when he did these terrible things in his home? That is, was he unemployed? My memory is foggy, sorry, it's been awhile since this happened, and I need brought up to speed. Thanks.

Yes Imon, Steinberg was working as an attorney when these things were occuring. He had a brownstone in the Village, upper middle class people.

Candy, I understand that Darnay knew Steinberg professionally and socially before the murder. I assumed Darnay figured Steinberg wouldn't have done what he did if he hadn't been on drugs at the time, and that's why he is helping Steinberg out. Is that what you mean by reoffending? Cause it doesn't seem likely he'd kill another child.

That is a little confusing. Also, if he was working and offended the first time, I don't know that I'd think that if he's working this time, he'd be less likely to offend. Unless it would infer that the offense would be less... oh, I'm confusing myself, here, but I've got some logic buried in there...really I do. :)

Oh I see the BIG difference. Hoffman is not his friend NOW, but he was then and why would an attorney feel any obligation to get their client a job after they get out of prison if they aren't still friends?
But they aren't friends "now"....what a load.

This is just garbage and a vain attempt to justify his representation and FRIENDSHIP with Joel. Here, read Hoffman's words that he typed at you know who's.
"I am, however, suprised (and shocked) that the same posters who have spent months defending the heinous conduct of David Westerfield, are now so hypocritically denouncing Joel Steinberg. At least Joel Steinberg attempted, however unsuccessfully and dysfunctionally, to raise Lisa as his daughter for 6 years and to provide a family for her."

I wonder how he can sleep at night, making excuses for a child murderer who is his friend is inexcusible.

Oh and before anyone attempts to bother with the archives at you know who's, candy has posted Hoffman's statements at CS.

Hoffman show's his lack of moral ethics with this statment as well. Now tell me after reading this if they (DH & JS) aren't still friends.

"Now, as for my representation of Steinberg. I agreed to represent Joel Steinberg pro bono (without a fee) in the personal injury action brought against him by Lisa's natural mother because I thought there was something fundamentally unfair about a "mother," who gave her daughter up for adoption without even bothering to tell her ex-boyfriend that he was a father (this is a blantant lie by DH, read the crimelibrary for the truth) so he could decide whether he wanted to raise the child, suddenly wanting a lot of money; a mother who then refused to come forward and claim her daughter's body when she died and only did so after being pressured by the police; a mother who lobbied the New York State legislature to pass a special law to allow her to sue, when the prior law had prevented mothers who had "abandoned" their children through adoption from financially benefitting from their deaths; a mother who cashed in with a book deal ("I Wish You Didn't Know My Name" Warner Books, 1990); a mother who received nearly a million dollar settlement from the City of New York and still wants more money (a hundred million from Joel Steinberg)and more publicity.
I am as offended by Michele Launder's attempt to cash in on her daugther's death as I am offended by what the Ramseys have done in taking financial advantage of JonBenet's murder from their lawsuits and book deal. All of these parents, in my opinion, have shamelessly exploited their children for financial gain."

Michelle was just 18 years old and thought she had a GOOD attorney who LIED to her and STOLE her child, ILLEGALLY!!

But anything to defend his friend, even victimizing the mother of this little girl when she thought she was doing the right thing for her.

Once again Seeker,

:bowing:

One can't help but wonder how anyone could be Joel's friend for so many years BEFORE the murder, know his friend was drugged out and God knows what else, has TWO small children and DID NOT REPORT HIM TO ANYONE AND DID NOT GET HIM HELP!

Now I agree that Hedda Nussbaum should have gone to prison right alongside Joel, for my sympathy in this case goes to the children. Hedda was over 21 and could choose to stay if she wished, but Lisa was solely dependent on both Joel and Hedda and as such, could not make any decisions for herself.

Dirty, rotten bastards! (yes that includes Darnay). How dare he pretend to care about JonBenet while caring for his FRIEND Joel Steinberg!

I'm even ashamed that I "USED TO" ADMIRE HIM!

What a loser! (and not only all his court cases) but in real life!

I really think Darnay may justify it to himself by blaming the drugs for Joel's violent behavior. Joel may have seemed like a nice guy before he got involved in drugs. IMO, that was probably a facade, but Darnay may feel otherwise.

I do think the birth mom has a good case. I can't imagine the emotional suffering she went through after she found out what happened to her baby. If she had actually abandoned her baby, or if Joel Steingberg hadn't misrepresented his intentions, it would be different. I think she'll win in court but never collect much from Steinberg. But, at least, he'll have that hanging over him as a reminder of how many people he hurt with his stupid games and drugs.

I think Darnay has done lots of good in the JonBenet case, tho. He's been a burr in the side of the Boulder authorities so they couldn't quietly sweep the case under the rug. (Two cliches in one sentence there!) I am grateful to him for that, whether or not he did it for publicity.

I think the case is a good reference for women who are thinking of giving their kids up for adoption.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shimona
Back