Dateline with Josh Powell 12-9-11

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's something really off with Josh ... he seems like a wreck with his dark circles under his eyes and dead emotions.

This interview was done right before the search warrant on Stephens house, it was toward the end of the interview that they showed Stephen being arrested and josh losing he boys...I know there were things I missed as I was trying to transcribe so I would suggest that you watch it online it is listed above...they give me the creeps and I am so happy he boys are no longer there.

Thank you, I appreciate that you were able to transcribe so well. I didn't see the show last night but I will look for it online.
joshie is beyond creepy. :)

When they first married, Steven lived in a different, smaller home.

I also watched this interview, and noticed how calm Josh was. His eyes were dead. However, when they talked about Josh meeting Susan, and their dates, he showed more emotion than I've ever seen him show.

I know every situation is unique, but I can't help but think he's way too calm and collected to be talking about his missing wife - even from the beginning. While we don't know for certain that Susan is dead - his reaction doesn't match it. My uncle killed himself this year, and he was in his 50's. My grandparents, even 5 months later, still can't look at his picture. And then you have Josh who can not only do these things with zero emotion, but he can degrade her without a second thought.

While I have thought there was definitely something wrong upstairs since the beginning, last night, it actually disturbed me. Nearly totally void of emotion.

But, I do feel an arrest is imminent, and we're watching is mental breakdown. Reading his most recent court filing was like reading the diary of a madman. I do agree with others - when he talks about Susan's childhood, he's really talking about his.

Hello, HJL. Sorry for the loss of your uncle. take care, Jacie

Josh told LE that he left around 11:45-12:00 am to go camping 100 miles away in a severe snowstorm with the young boys. LE says that this was the beginning of a very strange missing persons case.

With respect, Kimmer, because I saw the show and you're doing a great job of recapping. But I don't believe there was a severe snow storm that night, it was just very cold. "Single digits" was the phrase used.

ETA the interviewer's name is Keith Morrison. (Saturday Night Live did a parody of him just last week.)

One more thing about the "Susan is a good person" comment: he sounds like he's arguing with someone who thinks the opposite... but has anybody ever said that Susan is not a good person, besides himself and his daddy?

I think he was just distinguishing between "good person" and "perfect person" (which he said at least twice that Susan was not).

It was just a way to blame the victim while simultaneously pretending not to do so.

There's something really off with Josh ... he seems like a wreck with his dark circles under his eyes and dead emotions.

I agree with your observations, otto, so I hope this doesn't sound argumentative: but couldn't the same affect be produced in an innocent man whose wife has been missing for a year?

With respect, Kimmer, because I saw the show and you're doing a great job of recapping. But I don't believe there was a severe snow storm that night, it was just very cold. "Single digits" was the phrase used.

ETA the interviewer's name is Keith Morrison. (Saturday Night Live did a parody of him just last week.)

I'm pretty sure there was a severe snowstorm that night but they may not have mentioned it in the show. I'll look later or maybe somebody else remembers too.

We just finished watching the video. :sick:

It was interesting to watch the pervy granpa turn red faced talking about joshie's innocence.

As for joshie, was he castrated as a kid? ;) Seriously, If ever there was someone who got married to stay in the closet. IMHO

I also don't believe that the 'pancakes' were a one time thing.

I have said from the very beginning of this case that there was child *advertiser censored* involved; we now know that to 'alledgedly' be true. pervy hasn't been convicted YET. I hope that there is nothing found concerning the boys. If so, joshie will have to answer on so many levels. :furious:

Poor Susan, she had to put up with so much garbage from this ****.

btw joshie, :seeya: if you read this...I'm just wondering if at anytime during your 'rental car drive' you went from pointA, picked Susan up and went to pointB and then drove away. pointB would be state highway 6W just east of Eureka. Mighty steep drop there. If you do go back, look for the purple ribbons we tied onto the guardrail. This IS all hypothetically speaking, of course. Cause we know you would never cough*hurt*cough Susan.

One more thing, there are lots of places where you will find purple, orange and red ribbons tied; it's where people searched. Ya know what, there will be people out there again this spring, summer and fall looking again. People who have never met Susan but are concerned about her. If you thought all of the lies would discourage people, it isn't.

I agree with your observations, otto, so I hope this doesn't sound argumentative: but couldn't the same affect be produced in an innocent man whose wife has been missing for a year?

Anything is possible Would this be the same innocent man who got outta Dodge when he was named a POI? :escape:

When he said he didn't 'hurt' Susan, why oh why did the interviewer not say "That's not what I asked you, I asked did you kill her."? That's the approach I take when I think one of my teens is lying to me, and it usually works.

PS That hangdog look just makes me want to smack him, too.

I did like it, though, when he asked if josh killed his wife and josh answered, "I love her.", the interviewer fired back, "Yeah, but did you kill her? People often kill the ones they love."

I also noticed how josh reacted when he was first asked if he killed his wife. His eyes flicked, as if in a flinch, as the interviewer said the word "killed".

Also, he was fidgeting and very, very uncomfortable and nervous before the interview in the short clips they aired. Yanking on his shirt a la casey anthony and just squirming all around.

I think he was just distinguishing between "good person" and "perfect person" (which he said at least twice that Susan was not).

It was just a way to blame the victim while simultaneously pretending not to do so.

Exactly.

I'm pretty sure there was a severe snowstorm that night but they may not have mentioned it in the show. I'll look later or maybe somebody else remembers too.

I do remember. I don't know if it was severe but it definitely snowed that night because even in the broadcast they mentioned how when family and friends went to the home, they saw no tracks in the snow, coming out of the house.

LE have certainly pinpointed when it started to snow. So, I wonder if they could pin point when Susan would have had to leave that house for her not to leave tracks.

Not when that man won't speak to police about his missing wife, disappeared with his kids to go midnight camping in a snow storm in December, leaving his "sick" wife behind, when they had school and he had work the next day, is spreading vicious lies about his missing wife, high tailed it out of town after she disappeared, clocked hundreds of miles on his rental car after she went missing, leaving her cell phone and purse behind, etc., etc.

The context makes his demeanor look like nothing more than a guilty man who the police are closing in on, IMO.

In other news, I hope that he knows that all those disgusting things he tried to say about his wife, besmirching her reputation, etc., those things will help him hang one day when he is found guilty of murder.

They do nothing to promote his innocence and do everything to show how soulless and evil he and his father are and how capable he is of the premeditated cold-blooded killing of his lovely, beautiful wife.

We just finished watching the video. :sick:

It was interesting to watch the pervy granpa turn red faced talking about joshie's innocence.

As for joshie, was he castrated as a kid? ;) Seriously, If ever there was someone who got married to stay in the closet. IMHO

I also don't believe that the 'pancakes' were a one time thing.

I have said from the very beginning of this case that there was child *advertiser censored* involved; we now know that to 'alledgedly' be true. pervy hasn't been convicted YET. I hope that there is nothing found concerning the boys. If so, joshie will have to answer on so many levels. :furious:

Poor Susan, she had to put up with so much garbage from this ****.

btw joshie, :seeya: if you read this...I'm just wondering if at anytime during your 'rental car drive' you went from pointA, picked Susan up and went to pointB and then drove away. pointB would be state highway 6W just east of Eureka. Mighty steep drop there. If you do go back, look for the purple ribbons we tied onto the guardrail. This IS all hypothetically speaking, of course. Cause we know you would never cough*hurt*cough Susan.

One more thing, there are lots of places where you will find purple, orange and red ribbons tied; it's where people searched. Ya know what, there will be people out there again this spring, summer and fall looking again. People who have never met Susan but are concerned about her. If you thought all of the lies would discourage people, it isn't.

Interesting point about Josh ... in the closet. That puts the comments about his having a "germ phobia" in context. Perhaps he was playing the role of husband and father, but at a certain point didn't want to wear the facade, so he created a "germ phobia".

The following is my own opinion based only on my own reactions and observations.

I don't watch family videos usually. I admit it, I am a soft touch usually. I get swayed then someone has to hit me over the head with the evidence to make me see correctly.

But not this time. My impression? SP. Creepy smile. Creepy smile doesn't reach the eyes. It is like he thought this is what friendly and helpful is supposed to look like. So he puts on the smile for the interview like someone else puts on a clean shirt. The only time I see any real emotion from him, and this is sick but it is when he talks about the alleged relationship with Susan. I think he is enjoying recounting his fantasies about Susan in public.

JP. With him too it is like he thinks a man whose wife is missing would be depressed and serious. So he puts on the face. He doesn't realize that a person with a missing family member has a range of emotions, esp as time passes. Not just serious and depressed. That is why the face hasn't changed since Susan first went missing. Though I was surprised that even when JP was discussing the Coxes having custody and he was talking about being angry, it was still the same face. Serious and depressed. I would love to see some candid pics or video of JP taken. Even now I think they would be helpful.

I'm still watching but a couple of initial thoughts are that Josh seems robotic. I wonder if he's really well-medicated.

And why doesn't he ever entertain the thought that perhaps Susan met with foul play via a stranger? He always maintains that she 'simply left' and that she can't return b/c she's embarrassed or afraid. Wouldn't most people say something like "I hope she simply left & will come back soon but my fear is that something horrible has happened to her."? (which is almost exactly what Susan's dad said actually)

Stephen - oh man he makes me want to throw up. I can't imagine having to sit in the same room as him ever. He's sick, sick, sick.

LadyL I considered it. Medicated, depression both could cause a flat affect. But then I noticed something. If you watch his eyes, they seem aware, responsive and alert. Not something you would usually see if someone truly has a flat affect. It may be the only sign of life he shows, but it is more than you would see with flat affect.

I think he had himself on ultra control, but I think when he is out of the public eye he was cussing and kicking furniture.

LadyL I considered it. Medicated, depression both could cause a flat affect. But then I noticed something. If you watch his eyes, they seem aware, responsive and alert. Not something you would usually see if someone truly has a flat affect. It may be the only sign of life he shows, but it is more than you would see with flat affect.

I think he had himself on ultra control, but I think when he is out of the public eye he was cussing and kicking furniture.

I agree. He is totally in control and thinks that flat affect makes him look "sad" and "pathetic" and "victimized." In reality, he's just a lousy actor. I saw some of the behind the scenes footage from the news cameras last summer when he was brawling with Chuck Cox outside Fred Meyer. He had a very boisterous, angry affect until the newsman interviewed him, then he took a minute to get into character, and it was all fak-o tears and boo-hooing, and "poor wittle mee!" for the cameras. He thinks he has people fooled, but he has another thought coming.

I get the impression Susan Powell was walking on eggshells around her husband when she was alive.

Are there any theories about why she was suddenly so tired when her friend was over for the quilting (or whatever that was) meeting? Josh told her to have a nap right then at 4 if she was going to have a nap, then he left at 5:30 to go tobogganing. Was it normal for Susan to suddenly be overcome with tiredness, was she pregnant, or was there any speculation that something else was wrong ... like illness? Had he ever been winter camping with his oldest son was 2 years old, did he have winter camping equipment and was his equipment used?

I get the impression Susan Powell was walking on eggshells around her husband when she was alive.

Are there any theories about why she was suddenly so tired when her friend was over for the quilting (or whatever that was) meeting? Josh told her to have a nap right then at 4 if she was going to have a nap, then he left at 5:30 to go tobogganing. Was it normal for Susan to suddenly be overcome with tiredness, was she pregnant, or was there any speculation that something else was wrong ... like illness? Had he ever been winter camping with his oldest son was 2 years old, did he have winter camping equipment and was his equipment used?

I think the speculation was that Josh had put something in the pancakes he had made for them all. He made the special pancakes and it was reported IIRC, that he was the one who put the food on each plate,and did not have food in bowls to serve from.

I think the speculation was that Josh had put something in the pancakes he had made for them all. He made the special pancakes and it was reported IIRC, that he was the one who put the food on each plate,and did not have food in bowls to serve from.

Thanks ... I was wondering if there might have been some drugs involved. Being suddenly so tired that she had to tell her friend to continue, but she had to sleep ... that's a pretty serious urge to sleep - not normal. Most people can manage most things being a little tired. If she was pregnant, sick, or drugged, she could have felt that tired, but not otherwise ... IMO. However, if something was in the food, she should have felt that an hour after eating ... not at 4 in the afternoon. Did they eat pancakes at 3?

Josh actually sounds like a bit of a monster ... putting his wife in the position where she had to call a friend to "borrow" a couple of hot dogs so her children had something to eat. There was probably a lot more going on that Susan kept to herself.

Thanks ... I was wondering if there might have been some drugs involved. Being suddenly so tired that she had to tell her friend to continue, but she had to sleep ... that's a pretty serious urge to sleep - not normal. Most people can manage most things being a little tired. If she was pregnant, sick, or drugged, she could have felt that tired, but not otherwise ... IMO. However, if something was in the food, she should have felt that an hour after eating ... not at 4 in the afternoon. Did they eat pancakes at 3?

Yes, they did eat late. According to my memory, she walked with the kids to temple services that morning, and they arrived back at around noonish. I may be a little off, but something like that.

Josh stayed home so when they got back, he was making the whole family a special lunch. He did it all himself apparently, and they did not eat until around 2. I remember reading this and wondering how they kept the kids from eating immediately upon returning from their walk after temple. But apparently he made them all wait until he served them his special meal.

And the pancakes were mixed with something else, like sour cream and something too. I will go and look it up,but it is odd.

Remember the part about the carpets being freshly cleaned by the couch, and the box fans blowing them dry? Some have speculated that she actually threw up on the rug there.

eta:
http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...13170501570481

Per Kiirsi last night not verbatim: Susan was very ill the three weeks prior to her disappearance. The day Susan disappeared, JP called his dad for a pancake recipe. They spoke for 15 minutes. Kiirsi says in hindsight, this really bothers her. Feels bodily fluids not blood on carpet removed from home. Loveseat also removed from home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500