Daylight Saving Time - Love it or Hate it?

Are you in favor of Daylight Saving Time?

• Yes- I love it!

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • No- I hate it!

Votes: 35 60.3%
  • I’m fine either way

Votes: 8 13.8%

• Total voters
I am always over the moon happy when DST comes around, I'm hoping we just stay on DST all year round.

I love being outdoors, so I enjoy the longer daylight in the evening, I am more active in the late afternoon than I am in the morning, mornings are/were either occupied with classes or work. And in the early spring (March and April) it's a welcome relief, where I live in the North, after months of dreary gray skies and ice, just to have that sunshine later in the day. When I had horses, it was easier to get out and ride, too, in the afternoon/evenings, and also with biking and hiking. I am into photography, DST makes that golden hour for photos even better.

I'd be fine staying on DST year round. I'm not a fan of having to change clocks and adjust to new sleep/wake times twice a year.
In 2023 the US is on DST from March 12 through November 5, so almost year round already.

I don’t care if we are on daylight time or standard time, just want to be on one or the other for the entire year.

This could be the last time we have to change our clocks, but federal approval of legislation would be required.

Although dozens of states have considered legislation to end clock changes, only federal action can establish permanent daylight saving time in the United States. States may be able to opt out of daylight saving time, choosing permanent standard time. Local governments also can request to change time zones, which the U.S. secretary of transportation must approve.

Oops, not sure if I have voted incorrectly here. Do you mean to vote on the practice of changing the clocks?
So if I want it to stay the same all of the time I vote that I hate it?
I may be misunderstanding what DST is.

I would rather have the light in the evenings so I would prefer that it stays the same all year around - and on the summer settings.

I think the light is more useful in the evenings plus I don't mind too much waking up in the dark as you know it is going to get light.

Where I live it gets dark at 3pm in the winter.

I would prefer if we have DST(changing the clocks back In November) that we set the clocks back by just 30 minutes instead of the whole 1 hour. That way we get more sunlight. I think the US Federal Government is scared to do away with DST(changing the clocks back in November) because they are scared a kid might get hit walking to the bus or to school in the morning time.

I hate it in NJ when it gets dark out at 4:30 pm(16:30 in military time) in December. It gets a little better once mid-January comes around when it starts to get darker out later.

If I had my way I would just set the clocks 30 minutes back in November and never have to set my clock back or foward again.

I would prefer if we have DST(changing the clocks back In November) that we set the clocks back by just 30 minutes instead of the whole 1 hour. That way we get more sunlight. I think the US Federal Government is scared to do away with DST(changing the clocks back in November) because they are scared a kid might get hit walking to the bus or to school in the morning time.

I hate it in NJ when it gets dark out at 4:30 pm(16:30 in military time) in December. It gets a little better once mid-January comes around when it starts to get darker out later.

If I had my way I would just set the clocks 30 minutes back in November and never have to set my clock back or foward again.

Daylight Saving Time (DST) is a practice that involves moving the clocks forward by one hour during the warmer months of the year, typically spring and summer, in order to make better use of natural daylight and conserve energy. Here's a short overview of some key points related to Daylight Saving Time:

1. Origin: The concept of DST was first proposed by Benjamin Franklin in 1784 but was not widely adopted until the 20th century. It was initially implemented as a wartime measure to conserve energy during World War I and later during World War II.
  2. Purpose: The primary goal of DST is to make better use of daylight and reduce the need for artificial lighting during the longer daylight hours of summer. This practice is believed to save energy and reduce electricity consumption.
  3. Time Changes: DST typically begins in the spring when clocks are set forward by one hour (e.g., from 2:00 AM to 3:00 AM) and ends in the fall when clocks are set back by one hour (e.g., from 2:00 AM to 1:00 AM). This "spring forward, fall back" approach is used in many regions.
  4. Regions: Not all countries or regions observe DST. The decision to implement DST or not is a matter of policy and varies from one country to another. Some countries have opted out of DST, while others follow it year-round.
  5. Controversy: DST has been a topic of debate and controversy over the years. Critics argue that the energy savings are minimal, and the clock changes can disrupt sleep patterns and lead to health issues for some individuals.
  6. Benefits and Drawbacks: Proponents of DST argue that it can help reduce energy consumption, promote outdoor activities, and improve overall well-being during the longer daylight hours. However, opponents cite potential health issues, disruptions in schedules, and the need to adjust various devices and systems twice a year.
  7. Economic Impact: DST can have economic implications, particularly in industries such as retail, tourism, and transportation. Extended daylight hours can encourage people to engage in more leisure and shopping activities, benefiting businesses.
  8. Recent Developments: Some regions have reconsidered their DST policies in recent years. Some have chosen to abandon DST altogether, while others have explored the possibility of staying on DST year-round to avoid the disruptions caused by the time changes.

As I grow older, the time changing doesn't burden me any longer. If I am not fit, I am not fit, basta.

Actually, I love it, when it is dark in the morning and dark in the evening, because it contributes to the cave feeling in my home. Safe and there is nothing to miss. - I am unique with that feeling within my family or friend circle, but it doesn't matter.

Last edited:
Daylight Saving Time (DST) is a practice that involves moving the clocks forward by one hour during the warmer months of the year, typically spring and summer, in order to make better use of natural daylight and conserve energy. Here's a short overview of some key points related to Daylight Saving Time:

1. Origin: The concept of DST was first proposed by Benjamin Franklin in 1784 but was not widely adopted until the 20th century. It was initially implemented as a wartime measure to conserve energy during World War I and later during World War II.
  2. Purpose: The primary goal of DST is to make better use of daylight and reduce the need for artificial lighting during the longer daylight hours of summer. This practice is believed to save energy and reduce electricity consumption.
  3. Time Changes: DST typically begins in the spring when clocks are set forward by one hour (e.g., from 2:00 AM to 3:00 AM) and ends in the fall when clocks are set back by one hour (e.g., from 2:00 AM to 1:00 AM). This "spring forward, fall back" approach is used in many regions.
  4. Regions: Not all countries or regions observe DST. The decision to implement DST or not is a matter of policy and varies from one country to another. Some countries have opted out of DST, while others follow it year-round.
  5. Controversy: DST has been a topic of debate and controversy over the years. Critics argue that the energy savings are minimal, and the clock changes can disrupt sleep patterns and lead to health issues for some individuals.
  6. Benefits and Drawbacks: Proponents of DST argue that it can help reduce energy consumption, promote outdoor activities, and improve overall well-being during the longer daylight hours. However, opponents cite potential health issues, disruptions in schedules, and the need to adjust various devices and systems twice a year.
  7. Economic Impact: DST can have economic implications, particularly in industries such as retail, tourism, and transportation. Extended daylight hours can encourage people to engage in more leisure and shopping activities, benefiting businesses.
  8. Recent Developments: Some regions have reconsidered their DST policies in recent years. Some have chosen to abandon DST altogether, while others have explored the possibility of staying on DST year-round to avoid the disruptions caused by the time changes.
It was originally developed to conserve energy (Use of heaters) during WWI and WWII.
However, that was when most of the population lived up north.

Now, many live in southern states. AZ does not have DST because it increases the amount of AC used.
I wish we didn't have it in Texas, but it's here to stay. It supposedly benefits sports, tourism and theme parks. But last summer's heat hurt them. I also live where it really "doesn't matter". The earliest the sun sets here is 5:36 pm in early December. I enjoy having daylight in the morning again. The earlier the sun sets in the summer, the sooner it cools off down here. Why prolong the agony?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back