DD pounding on the door/broken glass/Shawn "deer in headlights"

ITA and have been wondering this myself for days (well--since BD's presser). Why would you bother to pound on a door for several minutes, if you just had to reach in an unlock the door? Doesn't make sense to me at all.

Another thing that bothers me (as noted up-thread) is that if HD left at 3:30 and SD was watching t.v., why were the doors locked by 4:30 when DD came home? SD would have to get up from watching t.v. after HD left and lock the doors. We know BD said in Feb. that she doesn't usually lock the doors and redcat mentioned that it's common in that area NOT to lock your doors, as it's a small town with very little crime. It was day-time which many people consider a "safe" time of the day (not me---I always keep mine locked after reading here too much, lol!) and don't always make a special trip to lock the doors, especially if you have kids coming in and out. IMO, the doors were locked for a reason and that is SA was doing *something* that he did not want anyone walking in on unannounced. Certain things in this category (that one might want privacy for :) ) could be accomplished by simply closing the bedroom door, iykwim. But, SA went one step further than that. Imo, it wasn't something he could just do in the bedroom or bathroom, but may have involved other parts of the house or perhaps it was something that would be noisy and therefore not hide-able just by closing a bedroom door? I don't know what it was--but these two points (the door knocking with supposed easy access with a hand through a window and door locking) really bother me and don't add up, imo.

And wouldn't SA have seen the broken window as he locked the door? I mean what is the point of locking it if there's a way to reach in and open it? Or did he lock it first and then Hailey broke it? But why would he lock her out of the house when she's playing basketball in the driveway on a cold day? So that would leave DD to have to break it to get in, but no broken glass is mentioned, just that the window had been broken, and that DD was not the one who broke it. This whole door thing makes no sense whatsoever to me. I smell hink to high heaven!

The only thing that makes sense is that DD had to break the window to get in. Why BD doesn't want anyone to think he broke the window is confusing. What does that window have to do with Hailey at all? Or maybe by saying David was not the one who broke it was supposed to make SA look more innocent somehow? Or maybe that it didn't matter that he locked the door because there was still a way to get in? He'd have to be some kind of dumb, though, to lock a door with a broken window on it or next to it so that someone could just reach in and unlock it. So maybe she's saying SA is too stupid to have done this crime because he locked a door that could easily be opened by reaching through a broken window? Therefore, she can rationalize more in her mind that he has to be innocent?

imo the broken window was not caused by DDs entry I think it may have to do with whatever incident went down with Hailey imo on Sunday night.... hence the stories and confusion... and due to minors I cannot explain further .... jmo and all that

I think the "pounding on the door" is just a figure of speech and what they really mean is that he knocked on the door. Can't read too much into that because people use words differently.

And SA wouldn't have been there for an hour and a half since he was apparently still at his mother's house at 2:40. There was no cleanup because if there was, they would have found evidence for it in the search. Also, if he was gathering stuff to make it look like she overnighted, it presumably wouldn't be much and could be done in a few minutes. In any case, what would be the point of doing that since it would have soon been obvious that she hadn't made arrangements?

I think what more likely happened is that DD came home around the back and didn't see the car because it was parked up front, found the door locked, knocked on it a couple of times and then opened it through the broken window because he thought no one was there. Looking back he might have thought it was five minutes but actually was much less that. SA was watching TV up front in the living room, heard something going on at the back, and was in the process of going to investigate when he encountered DD in the corridor.
I have never heard anyone use 'pounding on the door' as a figure of speech to describe someone knocking on a door a couple of times. The term is, in my experience, used to describe a very vigorous, very LOUD banging on a door with a fist. I have a very hard time wrapping my mind around DD just knocking a couple of times and having that described as 'pounding on the door.'

I have to admit that what does bother me is the comment "deer in headlights" look. I don't necessarily know if a 16 year old would use that term.

I've gone back and read all the Affadavits for the various search warrants etc. No where do I find any mention of a "broken" window. We only "heard" about a broken window from BD 01-31-11 presser.

IMO DD raised the sash of the window he crawled through, plain and simple.

If you don't lock doors, it's a probable given, windows aren't locked either.

I've gone back and read all the Affadavits for the various search warrants etc. No where do I find any mention of a "broken" window. We only "heard" about a broken window from BD 01-31-11 presser.

IMO DD raised the sash of the window he crawled through, plain and simple.

If you don't lock doors, it's a probable given, windows aren't locked either.

That could be. My brother used to leave his bathroom window unlocked, so if he forgot his keys, he could just take the screen off and get into the house through the bathroom window. So that's definitely possible.

But why would SA make sure to lock the door, but not check the windows? Surely if he didn't want to get caught doing something to Hailey, he'd lock the doors and windows.

It sounds to me like BD looked back on what she originally said, realized how bad it made SA look, and decided to come out with a much nicer, see he's innocent version of events. And maybe that caused a rift between her and DD, and maybe that's why he left the home because he knew mom was lying to cover for SA and didn't like that one bit.

It sounds to me like the house was locked, and DD did break a window to get in, and possibly did see SA looking very guilty of something. But that looks so bad for SA that BD had to change what she said because she alone said this first version of events and made SA look incredibly guilty. I think she was more honest very early on this case than she is now. Kind of reminds me of Cindy Anthony in the 911 hearing, trying to say she made up the 'damn dead body in the car' to get the paramedics out faster. No, she was actually more honest then and was trying to cover for the fact that she knew Caylee was dead that early on, which only made her daughter look more guilty for having killed Caylee.

I think BD believes that SA is a suspect purely because of BD. So if she backs up, changes what she said, then surely LE will won't look at him as suspect anymore or think he had anything to do with what happened to Hailey. And also, that would make SA love her more and want to come back to her. He can see that BD is trying to clean up with "mess" and be happy about that and want her back. He maybe has even blamed her for LE looking into him, and she's so desperate to get him back that she's willing to change the stories she's told to win him back. How pathetic.

Just my thoughts:

There are two doors in the front of the house. If you look at the house from the front, the left door is the one BD entered after the PC, so I'm Assuming here, that is the door normally used to enter the house. The door on the right is the one with the broken window pane and was prolly "fixed" with a piece of cardboard or plywood, etc, as it was in the PC video.

DD prolly found the door on the left locked, knocked/pounded on it before he would have had to remove the "fix" in the right door to get in.

Also, Redcat said that there is a ice chest or some kind of chest behind that door. So it wouldn't have been so convenient for DD to use the door with the window knocked out.

I think people are nuts nowadays to leave their doors unlocked no matter how small a town or how far out in the county you are....especially if you have kids and they come home when your not there. SO comes in and is waiting on the kids...or whoever to walk in the door...or someone could walk in on a robbery taking place. JMO!!

Speaking of doors and locks. Wonder if HD could lock her BR door?

Just my thoughts:

There are two doors in the front of the house. If you look at the house from the front, the left door is the one BD entered after the PC, so I'm Assuming here, that is the door normally used to enter the housew. The door on the right is the one with the broken window pane and was prolly "fixed" with a piece of cardboard or plywood, etc, as it was in the PC video.

DD prolly found the door on the left locked, knocked/pounded on it before he would have had to remove the "fix" in the right door to get in.

Also, Redcat said that there is a ice chest or some kind of chest behind that door. So it wouldn't have been so convenient for DD to use the door with the window knocked out.

I think people are nuts nowadays to leave their doors unlocked no matter how small a town or how far out in the county you are....especially if you have kids and they come home when your not there. SO comes in and is waiting on the kids...or whoever to walk in the door...or someone could walk in on a robbery taking place. JMO!!

Speaking of doors and locks. Wonder if HD could lock her BR door?

I read somewhere HD'S room had been a living room at one time because BD'S home was a duplex conversion into a single family home. The doors in my family/living rooms do not lock, so IMO the knob would have to swapped out to lock.

Someone posted recently about the window. Said that if the window had already been broken by Hailey while playing ball (as BD says in the PC), then DD would not have needed to knock on the door for several minutes. He could have simply reached through the glass and let himself in.

So I believe that DD had to break the window to get in. JMO
O

Areas ^Above^ Bolded&Underlined By Me...

IMO This says it all..Most Likely True and Accurate..jmo tho..

All of that confusion concerning doors locked and keys and broken windows and 'deer in the headlights' or no deer in the headlights brings us all to DD as being the key to the real story. I feel like he is under a lot of pressure and stress because he is going to have people close to him wanting the story to go one way [ Hailey broke windows all the time/ Shawn was cool and we all exchanged 'wassups' / hailey and Shawn just joked around all the time, no problems] while others are going to hear other things.
I really hope LE can find solid evidence which would keep DD from having to say much one way or the other.

O

Areas ^Above^ Bolded&Underlined By Me...

IMO This says it all..Most Lik

ely True and Accurate..jmo tho..

Again... blaming the victim who is missing and connot speak for herself. Like they are trying to say whatever happened, it's HD's fault.

Too late to edit my post:

It was a chest freezer in front of the door with the broken window.

Again... blaming the victim who is missing and connot speak for herself. Like they are trying to say whatever happened, it's HD's fault.

I like how Billie recalled how 'clumsy' HD was. How many 13 yr olds like to be called or teased about being clumsy? I bet SA also teased her about her growing body too. !3 yr olds are very sensitive about those body changes. So is that one of the things they ' joked around' about? And is that why she always wore her hoodie?:

I've seen pictures of the front door shortly after HD was reported missing. The broken window was rather high up on the window of the door and in the pictures was covered in duct tape. It would not have been an easy task to reach in that hole and unlock the door but with two teenage boys it likely could be done. Not without difficulty though I'm sure. It would make no sense for them to have actually broken the window so high up to gain entry so I believe that it was broken prior to that day.

The boys probably did pound on the door for several minutes before deciding to try and unlock the door through that broken window. And I'm sure they were yelling and making noise too.

I still think SA was likely sleeping very soundly at this time and did not hear them. He might have had very little or no sleep the night before since we still don't know when HD went missing, and he had just spent most of that day driving from Snyder to CC to Big Spring and back to CC. Not to mention his busy day surfing the internet for unemployment information. I'm sure he was exhausted. But he woke in time to hear someone coming in and that explains his surprised "deer in the headlights" expression. If something did go down in that house either that morning or the night before, he was probably paranoid and anxious about everything and that's why he locked the doors.

There were also two witnesses to that whole scenario and I'm sure BD hasn't been able to influence the friend's testimony so hopefully he had plenty to say to LE about that incident.

Where was the window broken? I never saw a pic
Could it have been from DD knocking on the window pane? Say shoulder high? So if it broke... he and the buddy managed
to open it ...
IMO DD did break it offering, I knocked for 5 min as an excuse for why he broke the window... kwim..

In the affidavits

Clint Dunn's Says DD after pounding on the DOOR for about 5 minutes and noone would let him in. DDmade entry thru a WINDOW and got into the residence

Billie says DD did pound on the door and no one would let him and he then made entry into the residence....Billie doesnt say a window in the affidavit... kinda downplaying it...

But Clint saying "make entry through a window"...sounds more detailed like DD climbed in thru a window...and not by opening some door with a broken pane....

I can understand why Clint and Billie dont see eye to eye....

There were also two witnesses to that whole scenario and I'm sure BD hasn't been able to influence the friend's testimony so hopefully he had plenty to say to LE about that incident.

The friend wasn't mentioned in the affidavit though, the only corroboration mentioned was from BD, and she wasn't there. If there had been other people there they would have said so. That would suggest that the story being told now is not the same as the story originally told to LE.

Actually, reading the affidavit, it would appear that investigators hadn't spoken to DD at all, but instead were saying what CD and BD recalled DD telling them. That probably accounts for the discrepancies.

SA Daniel A. COTTNER and SA Janet THOMAS interviewed Clint DUNN, l—5-2011, and he stated David DUNN had told him he returned home at approximately 4:00pm on Monday afternoon. 12-27-2010. and pounded on the door for about 5 minutes and nobody would let him in. David DUNN made entry through a window and got into the residence.

SA Janet THOMAS later interviewed Billie DUNN who confirmed that David had indeed pounded on the door and nobody would let him in and he then made entry into the residence and observed Shawn ADKINS standing in the hallway with a deer in the headlights look.

How could this affidavit say "Billie Dunn confirmed" something that is not mentioned previously in the affidavit: observed Shawn ADKINS standing in the hallway with a deer in the headlights look. The way this is written it states that "Billie Dunn observed Shawn Adkins standing in the hallway with a deer in the headlights look."

DD told CD "xxxxxxxxx". No mention of DD or CD relaying this info to BD or how she would know this info. BD confirms "xxxxxxxxxx" plus the "deer in the headlights".

This official LE affidavit does not say BD was present in the house at this time. Is it omitting a crucial bit of information, is it misleading or is it badly written?

BBM

It is just curious that they didn't report what DD himself had to say, just secondhand info from his mother and father. As I said, that is probably the reason for the apparent discrepancies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back