Defending Misty on Jan 10, 2011 in Putnam County

quick thought as to attire:

none of them are at trial. they are just at sentencing hearings...
so no need for trial attire, perhaps?

quick thought on Fields' representation ...
I also find it hard to believe that after accepting the burden of Misty's high-profile case, Mr. Fields would "slack off" at showtime. I just don't think so. After all, he's a partner in a firm. He doesn't just answer to himself in his high-profile casework...

I think something's up behind the scenes and we don't really know what we're looking at as far as strategy. (LOL. What else is new.) :waitasec:
Yep. The Sixth Amendment of the Bill of Rights grants an accused the right to appear at trial before a jury in street clothes rather than prison garb and free of shackles to ensure fairness and deter bias. (Exceptions have been made for shackles). The reasoning is that individuals are judged by their appearances, and a defendant in prison garb will look guilty to the jury. Several months back, for some reason which I don't recall at the moment (the Anthony case, maybe), I researched and read the handbooks for several correctional facilities in Florida. They all allow street clothes to be brought in for trials, naturally, but they vary on the restrictions and conditions for bringing in outside clothing for hearings and other court appearances. (I remember now. It was the CA case because I noted that Orlando was the most lenient of all the ones I looked at.)

ETA: This reply was actually meant for Smooth Operator's question at post 36.

bolded by me...

Yes I am of the same opinion also that Misty did tell more information...It was reported that she was extremely upset during it and was reportedly on a "suicide watch"..afterwards.

So......IMO. SOMETHING.......came out of that meeting with her...that afterwards...whatever it was...she felt she didn't want to live anymore...
Did she implicate herself....with the cover up..OR did she the REAL STORY...and all that she knew......Perhaps even given a LDT..and passed.
IMO

According to Chelsey on JVM Friday night Misty claims she has told LE everything she knows and has also requested they give her a LDT to prove she is telling the truth but LE has not complied to her request..JMHO..

Actually, I thought Chelsea's defense of "RC was controlling her" was not a bad one. Many women get a break when it comes to domestic abuse. I think her attorney will need to do a lot more homework to make that work for her, though.

I really think the Judge already knows what sentence he is going to hand down. I have never felt what the defense lawyer or witnesses have to say makes any difference.

The problem for her now is she is a convicted felon.

IMO

I think this ship has sailed and she is going to do a minimum of 25 years no matter what is said on the 19th but if I was defending Misty I would (and would have done this much earlier on)

*enroll her in GED classes available through the jail
*enroll her in the spiritual guidance of the flavor of her choice
*grief counseling

and then I would work endlessly on the words "I take responsibility for my actions"

She needs to get in front of a judge and not say that she wouldn't be here if it wasn't for them coming after her. She needs to say I was raised by drug addicts, I lived with and married a drug addict/drug dealer, I have personally been on drugs since such a young age that it is embarrassing.

She needs to say that she should not have been there making those deals, and while she didn't understand it fully then she does understand how wrong it was now. And that what she needs is drug rehab and she is begging the court to send her to bootcamp to help her gain the education and structure she so sadly has lacked.

If she could genuinely sound like she wants that to make her a better person versus sounding like it is better than prison and she wants the easy way out it has a lottery winners chance of sticking.

But as I said in the other thread this needed to be done proactively, she would have to cooperate, and it required action on her part before sentencing, not just words on the stand, and it needed to be done independent of a guarantee that the judge wouldn't give her the minimum anyway.

I think that shipped has sailed.

I think this ship has sailed and she is going to do a minimum of 25 years no matter what is said on the 19th but if I was defending Misty I would (and would have done this much earlier on)

*grief counseling

and then I would work endlessly on the words "I take responsibility for my actions"

She needs to get in front of a judge and not say that she wouldn't be here if it wasn't for them coming after her. She needs to say I was raised by drug addicts, I lived with and married a drug addict/drug dealer, I have personally been on drugs since such a young age that it is embarrassing.

She needs to say that she should not have been there making those deals, and while she didn't understand it fully then she does understand how wrong it was now. And that what she needs is drug rehab and she is begging the court to send her to bootcamp to help her gain the education and structure she so sadly has lacked.

If she could genuinely sound like she wants that to make her a better person versus sounding like it is better than prison and she wants the easy way out it has a lottery winners chance of sticking.

But as I said in the other thread this needed to be done proactively, she would have to cooperate, and it required action on her part before sentencing, not just words on the stand, and it needed to be done independent of a guarantee that the judge wouldn't give her the minimum anyway.

I couldn't agree more, and I really think had she done all this before and during the sentencing in St. Johns Co., she would have been given the YO program. This is why I feel her attorney did not do a very good job representing her.

I couldn't agree more, and I really think had she done all this before and during the sentencing in St. Johns Co., she would have been given the YO program. This is why I feel her attorney did not do a very good job representing her.

You can't force someone to participate and take responsibility for something if they are unwilling to do the work. We don't know that it wasn't his original game plan. Hope was on tape saying she wasn't going to do any of that crap. An attorney can only work with what he has been given.

According to Chelsey on JVM Friday night Misty claims she has told LE everything she knows and has also requested they give her a LDT to prove she is telling the truth but LE has not complied to her request..JMHO..

IMO....perhaps Misty's attorney has told Misty to keep silent on the LDT (if she was given one and passed)

OR...at the time Misty talked to Chelsea she HAD NOT been given one...but HAS NOW taken one and passed...

I would think that IF Misty is giving NEW information to the LE..they would WANT it to be credible...to use it...

IMO..

I believe that you all have figured Misty wrong. She would not spend the rest of her life in jail if she didnt do anything to that child. She would not cover for any of the Cummings, no way, not for this long. Especially since Ron divorced her. nope.
She told on her brother, but I think another one or Joe is involved as these types of people do not tell on their families, they just don't. They need to ask her specifically each name during a lie detector test.
# Did blank come to where you were with the kids that night?
# were you there with the kids that night?
# Did blank do anything to harm haleigh?
# did blank take Haleigh anywhere that night?

bllah blah blah very specific questons for each person involved. I bet it is that simple.

I could be wrong, but I don't think they can ask questions about someone else's actions on an LDT. I think they can only ask what the person did or said themselves, since it is supposed to be about that person, not a way to implicate someone else.
Not 100% positive about this, but pretty sure.

You can't force someone to participate and take responsibility for something if they are unwilling to do the work. We don't know that it wasn't his original game plan. Hope was on tape saying she wasn't going to do any of that crap. An attorney can only work with what he has been given.

BBM

You're right. Sometimes I give Misty credit for a little more intelligence than maybe she deserves. IMO, Misty did something to Haleigh and conned Ron into believing she didn't, and she has managed to go this far without being arrested for anything to do with Haleigh, which is all theory. On the other hand, she explained to LE how she was mugged while she was somewhere buying drugs (???) and also proceeded to casually go out and deal drugs repeatedly when anyone with 2 brain cells to rub together would know LE was keeping a close eye on them, which is all fact. I guess I let my feelings get the better of my common sense.:crazy::crazy:

During this drug selling time, wasn't it said that Misty was staying with Ronald at GGMS's house? He had her back under his control. And, he was her "baaaaaaby"! :sick:

Didn't one of the investigators or detectives testify that Misty was the leader of this merry band of drug dealers? Until the powers that be down there stop treating Ronald Cummings so gently, I have NO confidence that Haleigh will ever get justice. :furious:
Yes indeedy, I feel you. Are they trying to have us believe hook, line, and sinker that Misty was pullin Ron's wagon and runnin the show, for cryin out freakin loud? Oh, my voluminous heiny. Amster, while they're at it they should try to sell us some ocean front, time-share property in Omaha.

So it went sah-um like this hypothetical scenario (?) Misty declares herself the alpha female in a den of GGS and TN et al, no less, jumps to her feet adopting a defiant stance, weight cocked and shifted to one leg, hand on hip which is jutted to the side, rolls her neck and jabs her index finger in the air at Ron: "Hey listen up Ron, yeah I said it; shut up, Pinhead, Im talkin; this is how it's gonna go down. You do ABC; got it, mister? I say it, you do it; Got that? Dont make me turn this car around. "

:)

(Oh my bad; I was channeling my dad there with the car thing for a sec heh)

(And quit kickin my seat!)

(Are-we-there-yet-Are-we-there-yet-Are-we-there-yet? -- I-call-the-hump)

(What? nobody normal person calls the hump. )

(Henry, that chil' aint right in the head.)

Ok Im back. :)

So we are to buy the premise that Misty was allowed to call the shots? This is analagous to... how about like... oh IDK.. like yeah, Misty called the shots about as much as Brit Brit Spears calls the shots and is allowed to control her finances.... which is to say -- she's not.

On a more severe example - I give you, Hedda Nussaum, in the horribly sad Lisa Steinberg case. Ms. Nussbaum was in no condition to object, or escape, etc and she, unlike Misty, was an adult woman (who, btw, had been an editor and author of children's books prior to her nightmare with Steinberg.)

In her 2005 book, "Surviving Intimate Terrorism," Nussbaum describes the way she was able to deny the danger to which she and their two illegally adopted kids were subjected and that that denial seems fairly common in some habitually abused/mistreated people as in Battered Person Syndrome.

Ms. Nussbaum explained that she did leave the home several times, but nevertheless returned. Ms. Nussbaum also writes about the theory that trauma, and even moreso - extended trauma, can stimulate the body's ability to generate opioid substances that cause a feeling of numbness, mentally and physically. And she asserts that the numbness causd a snowball effect which further impaired her reasoning and cognitive abilities to take action.

I'm not suggesting that Misty was in the throes of something as serious as this example above.... not yet anyway. Yet l fail to see how Misty was running the show. Furthermore, I feel fairly certain that it was not picnics and rainbows for Misty living with Ron and being under the omniscient thumb of grandma and/or TN and that it couldn't have been an easy bowl of cherries swept under the rug, mixed metaphors and all; :) and FWIW, imo, GGS and TN are no shrinking violets by any means.

moo

Miaty did the right thing. She knew they had her dead to rights. The DA had an iron clad case. No jury is going to dismiss a criminal who is doing drug trafficking these days. People are sick of illegal drugs being sold by these drug dealers.

The results would have been the same. It is the Judge that would have passed down the sentence when the jury found her guilty and they would have found her guilty no doubt imo.

If she had gone to trial the Judge would have allowed in the other trafficking charges because they are same like crimes in this one.

IMO

*grief counseling

IDK, but I get the impression that Misty is not a very accomodating client. I doubt she has opened up at all to Fields, & when it's all said & done, he's only got so much to work with. But, after 1st being arrested, Misty did show a desire to better herself. But, I think she suffers from learning disabilities, so who would work with her? & after hearing some of Lisa's claims, Misty was probably born with disabilities.

I have given a lot of thought to this thread and whether I would or could post a real and honest answer to the question posed.

How would I defend Misty?

My mouse has hovered over the title for days now but I had an ethical dilemma. Let me tell you, it really made me respect the type of thought process and compartmentalization a criminal defense attorney must have to his/her job. Mad props to those individuals who serve this very necessary role in the justice system.

My personal belief that Misty is alone or with assistance directly responsible for whatever happened to Haleigh was interfering with me giving this question a real and honest attempt at doing everything in my power to give her the best possible defense in her drug trafficking case.

But today is the day I was finally able to separate the two offences in my head enough to JUST consider the trafficking matter, release all the noise and clamor from my thoughts/theories on the Haleigh matter. So here goes

First and foremost, as her defense attorney my first action would have been to either block the release of the video and audio release of the phone calls with friends and family from jail. Yes LE has every right to monitor outside communication but can anyone else name a drug trafficking case that they remember following where the inmates phone calls were aired several times daily on CNN and other news outlets?

I also would have cautioned my client not to discuss the Haleigh matter. Granted her attorney has been hired to handle the trafficking, but as he himself said, this drug sting went down because of Haleigh, and only because of Haleigh. So I would be darned aware of the other more serious possible pending future charges to my client whether I had been hired to advise her on that investigation or not.

Those phone calls in my opinion, even if they had no effect whatsoever on the judges decision making, have tainted the jury pool to an extent that her criminal defense for murder (and I do believe those charges are coming someday) so badly it cannot help but make a fair trial that much more difficult to achieve.

I would have made it extremely clear to my client, even if I had to use two syllable words, that she must behave herself in jail and carry herself in a young, innocent, damaged, hard luck girl at all times.

While arguing her case before the judge I would have made no mention of the sting being Haleigh related, while true, it only draws that matter into the courtroom and my sole goal in procuring the best possible sentence for Misty would hinge on me making the case about her lack of major criminal background, her tough upbringing, her youth, her naiveté, etc. so that the judge was judging the trafficking charges in light of her lack of prior convictions for that crime, her tender age, etc. My sole intention going into that hearing would be in keeping the specter of that elephant (Haleigh case) out of that courtroom.

Further, I would have made it clear that her family should stay away or behaved themselves with class and decorum. Since my personal opinion is that that is not possible for that crew, I would have pushed heavily for them not being there.

In a nutshell, as her attorney I would have already done everything in my power to have separated/negated the Haleigh investigation from the equation to whatever degree possible. If Misty had not been all over the new in those stupid tapes, and if she had been out of the public eye while incarcerated all these many months, I could have given her a demure makeover and coached her on how to carry herself to best play up the argument for youthful offender.

As to how to defend her in Putnam County, I really do not know. Unfortunately the cat I think should have been avoided above is already out of the proverbial bag.

That’s it, that’s all I got. I hope I did my client justice even though I don’t have a problem with the judge’s decision the other day. And again, mad props to defense attorneys who can compartmentalize like this. I am so justice/victim oriented that I don’t often give much thought to the defense attorney til I see one on a TV program being slimy and earning my derision.

OKay, I just pasted this post in here and realized how very long it is. Sorry.

May it please the court.

EAT Just went back to read the other members advice on how they would represent Misty (wondering how I did with it, lol) and saw EmmaPeels post #24. Can I tell you that I really look forward to your posts and was soo excited that I hit upon some of the er, same misteps I saw Fields make that you brought forth. I had not even considered the whole maybe she's already arranged something on teh Haleigh matter and that's why this trafficking thing is sort of a wash anyway.

hmmmmm, gonna chew on that one awhile.

mc has almost 2 years left to file sx with a minor against rc and she should..this could have caused some mental instability on her part she no more then a child..imo

mc has almost 2 years left to file sx with a minor against rc and she should..this could have caused some mental instability on her part she no more then a child..imo

Misty & Ron were married. Misty was emancipated. I don't think such an action would have legs at this point... She didn't even bring the divorce action ... Ron did.

IMO, the Cummings anticipated this possibility when the case went so public & fixed RC's statuatory rape exposure with a wedding. They are just really good at doing laundry, they are. :cow: ;)

I have given a lot of thought to this thread and whether I would or could post a real and honest answer to the question posed.

My mouse has hovered over the title for days now but I had an ethical dilemma. Let me tell you, it really made me respect the type of thought process and compartmentalization a criminal defense attorney must have to his/her job. Mad props to those individuals who serve this very necessary role in the justice system.

My personal belief that Misty is alone or with assistance directly responsible for whatever happened to Haleigh was interfering with me giving this question a real and honest attempt at doing everything in my power to give her the best possible defense in her drug trafficking case.

But today is the day I was finally able to separate the two offences in my head enough to JUST consider the trafficking matter, release all the noise and clamor from my thoughts/theories on the Haleigh matter. So here goes

First and foremost, as her defense attorney my first action would have been to either block the release of the video and audio release of the phone calls with friends and family from jail. Yes LE has every right to monitor outside communication but can anyone else name a drug trafficking case that they remember following where the inmates phone calls were aired several times daily on CNN and other news outlets?

I also would have cautioned my client not to discuss the Haleigh matter. Granted her attorney has been hired to handle the trafficking, but as he himself said, this drug sting went down because of Haleigh, and only because of Haleigh. So I would be darned aware of the other more serious possible pending future charges to my client whether I had been hired to advise her on that investigation or not.

Those phone calls in my opinion, even if they had no effect whatsoever on the judges decision making, have tainted the jury pool to an extent that her criminal defense for murder (and I do believe those charges are coming someday) so badly it cannot help but make a fair trial that much more difficult to achieve.

I would have made it extremely clear to my client, even if I had to use two syllable words, that she must behave herself in jail and carry herself in a young, innocent, damaged, hard luck girl at all times.

While arguing her case before the judge I would have made no mention of the sting being Haleigh related, while true, it only draws that matter into the courtroom and my sole goal in procuring the best possible sentence for Misty would hinge on me making the case about her lack of major criminal background, her tough upbringing, her youth, her naiveté, etc. so that the judge was judging the trafficking charges in light of her lack of prior convictions for that crime, her tender age, etc. My sole intention going into that hearing would be in keeping the specter of that elephant (Haleigh case) out of that courtroom.

Further, I would have made it clear that her family should stay away or behaved themselves with class and decorum. Since my personal opinion is that that is not possible for that crew, I would have pushed heavily for them not being there.

In a nutshell, as her attorney I would have already done everything in my power to have separated/negated the Haleigh investigation from the equation to whatever degree possible. If Misty had not been all over the new in those stupid tapes, and if she had been out of the public eye while incarcerated all these many months, I could have given her a demure makeover and coached her on how to carry herself to best play up the argument for youthful offender.

As to how to defend her in Putnam County, I really do not know. Unfortunately the cat I think should have been avoided above is already out of the proverbial bag.

That’s it, that’s all I got. I hope I did my client justice even though I don’t have a problem with the judge’s decision the other day. And again, mad props to defense attorneys who can compartmentalize like this. I am so justice/victim oriented that I don’t often give much thought to the defense attorney til I see one on a TV program being slimy and earning my derision.

May it please the court.

EAT Just went back to read the other members advice on how they would represent Misty (wondering how I did with it, lol) and saw EmmaPeels post #24. Can I tell you that I really look forward to your posts and was soo excited that I hit upon some of the er, same misteps I saw Fields make that you brought forth. I had not even considered the whole maybe she's already arranged something on teh Haleigh matter and that's why this trafficking thing is sort of a wash anyway.

Thanks tclox, and the same back-atcha! This is a very well thought out post, hitting many things that have troubled me regarding Misty's defense. And you are right on, IMO. Even if Misty has been a most difficult and/or uncooperative client for Mr. Fields - I'm not sure why he would keep such a high profile client if he didn't intend to vigorously advocate for leniency. Why he didn't find a way to plea some of these down. Did he do everything he could do? I'm not really qualified to judge - don't know local rules/sentencing hearing protocols, etc.. But, I can't wait to read the transcripts.

It seems Tommy had one witness - IIRC, didn't Lindsy speak on his behalf to the court? It seems Ron had one witness - his mother. And Misty had one witness, other than herself. Misty was the only defendant of these three that took the stand. (I'd have to look back to see if Donna & Hope had witnesses...)

If Misty & her attorney know they're facing more charges (on Haleigh) - I do think that might explain some things ... and might explain why they were comfortable bringing Haleigh's case up during the hearing...or...not.:waitasec:

And this is why I am not operating under the assumption the cops are so stupid, and we are so smart to be the only people seeing Ronald was the king pin here. They know. They know they are never going to find the body, that this is more than likely going to be a death penalty case without a body. They have let Ronald Cummings hang himself. They have so many people and countless Miss Nancy episodes to make their case against him.

They let him feel like they really believed he was innocent and all of that, and he used it to his advantage, felt he was untouchable, and decided to sell drugs, knowing that they were probably bugging his phone, but he felt he was above all that, and then they got him into custody without him hurting anyone or talking anyone out with him, and now hes sitting in jail for 15 years, however when I look at his latest mugshot I see a man who knows he is never going to be a free man again and Mistys undying devotion and loyalty is about to come to an end.

Cant wait.

jmo

Chablis, I pray to God you are right. I'm gonna pray tonight that Misty can see the light, and come to her senses, and passes a LDT.
Good Night Everyone.:bedtime:

May it please the court.

Excellent post ticox.

We have seen of late how two different crimes can become intertwined in a case (Kyron and Haleigh) and it is very hard to separate those two different crimes and weigh each crime and not mingle them together.

I am not taking up for Fields but sometimes defense attorneys are just handed an unwinnable case. Imo he would not have been successful in Florida with keeping the jail house videos under wraps that had to do with Haleigh's case. Why? Because he absolutely has no right to at this time. Unless a charge is lodged against his client in Haleigh's case he cant even make a motion to suppress. Once and if that is done then he can file a motion to suppress certain things. Whether he will even be successful then is left up to the Judge.

I honestly don't see why some are so upset with Misty's sentence. Others here were wanting Ron Cummings to go away for 50-85 years or more for his drug trafficking and right up front he did not have as many charges against him as Misty did.

People were remarking about how Ron was selling drugs that could windup in the hands of children. Well that same thing applies to Misty Croslin. She would have never stopped trafficking drugs, imo. I think her parents taught her how a long time ago.

She told the Judge this is what poor people do. Really do they? I know plenty of poor people that get up every morning and work everyday at menial labor to make a living. Yet, Misty seems to think if a person is poor they don't need to better themselves with a real job but just be a drug trafficker instead.

So for me, I think Misty got what she deserved and I am very glad another drug trafficker is off the streets for years. She can deny until the cows come home and make excuses galore but it was Misty Croslins illegal actions that got her 25 years. Those images weren't Misty mannequins in the stings. That was the real deal.

Now I can only hope that this wont be the last charges we see against Misty Croslin. In the end the drug issues were side issues in this case and all I really care about is Haleigh being found and justice being served.

IMO

I think one thing I would do is attempt to define what Misty's role in this crime actually was.

I don’t understand the 25 year sentence imposed on Misty compared to the other defendants, particularly Ronald Cummings. I have read opinions basically saying Misty was the leader or “kingpin” of this venture, but it doesn't seem that way to me.

Watch these three illegal narcotics transactions and see who’s the “pin in the center”, “person of chief importance”, or “chief element” by asking yourself the questions below:

Sale 1:

Sale 2:

Purchase:

How many “kingpins” have you ever heard of with the name of an underling co-conspirator tattooed on their backside?

Who is the more likely “kingpin”, one with 15 prior arrests for drug crimes or an 18 year old without so much as a ticket for jaywalking?

How did Misty get 67% more time than the person whose name is the answer to each of these questions?

Man...WHAT A GREAT POST....I agree with you about 200% !!!!!!

Busted for drugs in the last year and a half plus, off the top of my head, and that I am aware of:

Hank C Sr. - Misty's father.
Lisa C. - Misty's mother.
Tommy C. - Misty's brother.
Joe O. - Misty's cousin.
WB Greg - Misty's alleged lover during Misty's alleged 3-day binge.
Nay Nay (and also some Joe? person mentioned in the 'Misty wasn't at the MH' letter) - Misty's friends.
Donna B. - Misty's friend.

Hope ? - Ron's cousin.

There was also the incident of Misty being robbed while buying drugs with 2 other women.

Just looking at this, IMO it's reasonable to assume if anyone had a network of connections for buying and/or selling drugs, it would be Misty.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back