Deputies: Grandmother killed by dog while babysitting

From what I've read about the tragedy that is the topic of this thread, we don't know any details about what the dog or grandmother was doing.

I don't think we can automatically blame the grandmother.

The dog could have attacked with no warning, no distress, no reason.

JMO

I really get upset reading about dogs killing people. Very depressing. This poor woman and her family. :(

Having said that, I'm still a firm believer in all dogs can and most likely will at some point bite, even well trained ones. Kill is a bit further, I haven't really gotten to deep in that subject.

I've had several friends that were attacked as children. One was just a young boy playing on a beach, a dog runs up from somewhere it was out of sight before, and attacked him. No one knows why.

Parents raised all types of dogs, so I've always been around them. My dearest passed last year, she was getting snappy but it was because she was sick. The older a dog gets, the more "snappy" it gets. Sometimes they are in pain, could be arthritis, could be cancer, could be spleen issues, you never know. Could be they have a headache. If they feel badly, they may bite.

A neighbor had a Lhasa Apso. He was a really cute little white ball of fur and moustache. She was in her 60's and had many dogs in her life. She always said, "Well, he's never bit, but that doesn't mean he won't. He is a dog, dogs bite." She was right. We had him outside with us one day when a known neighbor came up and bent over to pet him. He bit him. No one knows why, other than the dog was being grumpy that day, so she had him out for a minute or two longer than usual so he could soak up the sun and all of our attention.

In short, a dog is a dog, even well trained. If something triggers for the dog, then it does, even if it is the best dog in the world before. It is the owner's responsibility and liability. So, when my beloved dog passed, I decided to get no more. Seen too many lawsuits and dogs put down when they were being provoked, not just when the bit out of the blue. Plus I live in apartments, not many allow any kind of dog anymore. I sure do miss having a furry friend, but it is best since I work all day and do not have many hours to devote to loving, training, spending play time, energy time. That is the best decision I can make for any other pet that really needs a good and responsible home.

Don't don't like been stood over by strangers or strange people bending over them. IMO

Thanks for the analysis. I wouldn't dream of acting "alpha" with anybody else's pet.

I should add that I moved to another city 8 years ago, so maybe my friend was just trying to get her dog used to having company. From what she tells me, it hasn't worked, but she and that dog love each other with a ferocity seldom seen. I didn't mean to say I begrudge her her best friend.

Every Doberman I ever owned would only respond to my commands.

My husband could tell them to sit all day long....the dogs just looked at him like he was nuts. I had to laugh when hubby set out to have him listen to him using treats as rewards...he lost that battle too as I trained mine only to take food from me. No one could get the dogs off the sofa either. I did have one my son could lure off by throwing a tennis ball.

Sonya, that's a great vid for a few reasons - the dog is signalling a lot, but neither the cop or reporter pick it up...the cop was very quick in bringing the dog 'down', and the dog complied with his pack leader's demands. The reporter came in far closer than I would ever do, especially to a GSD and K9, and did it completely wrong - loomed over the dog while putting his hands on the dog's neck.

Not the dog's fault whatsoever...

Best-
Herding Cats

I tend to think the cop knew the reporter was too close and things were getting dicey BUT it was a news reporter and he hoped the dog would be okay and he didn't want to cause a "scene" that could be embarrassing to the reporter or on camera.

That is likely one of the reasons the officer pulled the dog back instantly, because he knew the tension was rising, the officer could feel it (LE is smart like that, instinct). I have been there and done that, be nice and don't make the humans uncomfortable or embarrassed, now I just say "please back up".

Don't don't like been stood over by strangers or strange people bending over them. IMO

That's probably it in that case, plus the dog was grumpy - not feeling well. They can't say "leave me alone, I'm in a bad mood", so they "tell you" the only way they can. The nip bites are understandable if the person is paying attention.

I guess I should have my years of breeding Chows verified. I'll email Tricia. I can be an expert? :p

Yes Chows and Pits can be aggressive. Yes- for chows and other dogs that have not been bred specifically to fight- they can snap. That cute lil terrier your hairdresser carries in her purse can just one day decide to be lethal.

As I write this I have a 14 month old Cream Female Chow ( who is in heat by the way :banghead:) laying at my feet.

We have to remember a few things-
  1. DOGS are ANIMALS. THEY used to have to kill their food.
  2. Just because they said it was a Pit does not make it a pit. The press/LE likes to label them as Pit Type Dogs.
  3. Not everyone can handle a dangerous breed or should try.
  4. My dog MUST know that we are in charge. And we do this with non abusive training methods.

Having said that I would NEVER leave a kid alone with this dog. I would never have someone in my house to stay that was not 100% familiar with her and I knew - because of past observed interaction- could control her. Or that might treat the kids in a way I would not.

Yes a dog can just snap. They can feel bad,have an off day, have enviromental changes and BOOM.

Sorry but cute and cuddly fido is an animal With animal instincts and behaviors.

Great comment. The thanks button wasn't enough. People often see their pet as a four-legged human and forget that a dog is, as you say, an animal with animal instincts and behaviors.

Yes a dog can just snap. They can feel bad,have an off day, have enviromental changes and BOOM.

I don't like the term just "snap" because in my mind it means the dog just SUDDENLY went insane for NO REASON! Maybe no reason that the humans noticed, but there is always a reason!

Dogs as a whole already have to put up with SO MUCH stupid human behavior, neglect, and even downright abuse! They are generally amazingly tolerant! When people start preaching "well they just snap ya know, just cause dogs can go crazy, it happens all the time" that just further reinforces human stupidity and takes all of the responsibility OFF the humans, if they let their kids push a dog until the dog acts out it isn't the parents fault, cause dogs just go crazy and snap!

Humans don't have to be accountable for paying attention to the dog, being respectful to the animal, making their children behave around the animal, they don't have to be accountable for anything because IF the dog acts out they can just use the great old standby excuse "dogs just go crazy and snap!".

I would not consider that dog to be "mentally snapping" unless the dog was an elderly veteran that may have been getting a bit senile, the dog for whatever reason really did not like that judge and was showing signs of agitation, of a pending conflict. She knew her dogs and knew when they were getting irritated, her dogs had aggressive temperaments but that does NOT make them "insane" it means they can be aggressive. They give of clear signs that say "I am getting irritated and about ready to kick that person/dogs butt because I don't like them and/or don't want them in my presence". If someone clueless bought one of her dogs and had that happen then the dog would be "INSANE" because the person couldn't see the dog was getting irritated and getting ready to kick some butt.

Now if the dog LOVED someone dearly for years and then suddenly bit their face off while the person was sitting quietly that would signal potential mental problems aka "insane" dog behavior.

Thanks but there is nothing you are saying here that I don't already know.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztraea
Back