Do I dare ask? Weigh in on your thoughts about Katrina

Hurricanes, and New Orleans are two different things. I'm OK with rebuilding in a hurricane area - there's too much hurricane area, and they can hit almost anywhere. But rebuilding an area below sea level, with two big bodies of water held back by a few levees, in an area that gets hurricanes that makes it highly probable that the levees will break sometimes (this wasn't the worst case - they didn't get a direct hit, and it wasn't a cat 5) - I think that is just asking for it - like building a house on a flood plain - it shouldn't be done. If it is, we shouldn't pay for the new house to be built there.

Go here:

http://cbs5.com/

This is an excellent video on what happened with this levy.

Click on the video on the RIGHT-HAND side of the page titled
"Understanding New Orleans Floods"
I don't know how long this video will be here, but I just watched it, so it's still up.

I just had a big long story about our flood ready to post and deleted it. I told myself... "keep it simple - stupid."

People should have a choice about where they build, but safety should always come first. In our area one is not permitted to build in a floodplain. But any older homes that exist can be sold. Of course, if you buy in such an area, you must buy flood insurance...and it isn't cheap. That's why I am atop a hill, overlooking 2 creeks, I have jokingly said for years that if the creek gets this high, there's a whole lot of people in BIG trouble. But in 1996 I was seriously preparing to head even higher.

Mother Nature is fickle. So many possibilities of disasters, it's all about safety and being prepared.

Another thought I had tonight...when disasters happen around the world the good ole USA is always one of the first ones out there to lend a helping hand...are we getting any offers of aid from other countries?

My heart goes out to all those people, young and old. God bless them all, and get those children some food and water.

tybee204 said:
Everyplace is prone to one type of natural disaster or another. We rebuild California after earthquakes, the midwest after tornados, fires in the southwest and Northeast and the coast after hurricanes.

If or when a hurricane hits me you bet I will be here rebuilding ASAP.

Exactly. By the time we all move out of the Western states (earthquakes and threat of tsunamis), the Midwest (tornadoes, floods and blizzards), and the Gulf and East Coasts (the obvious), where are we all going to live?

Many of the people who hadn't left New Orleans because of the storm were unable to leave due to not being able to afford a tank of gas since it was end of the month. Some of these people may not be able to afford property in other places. I just hope that they all really do get some good long term help.

Yes it is mainly the poor who were left behind. Those middle and upper-classers who have insurance and money will survive this, but even they will have problems - like where's my job? Where do I live until my house is rebuilt?

Hasn't New Orleans been sinking for years, and also Houston? I had read that Louisiana wanted to work on its Delta area and erosion, but were not able to get the money.

The special situation is Lake Ponchertraine on the other side, a set-up for disaster with poor levees. Yes, they should have taken a lesson from the Dutch years ago.

Hurricanes cannot be avoided, but this type of disaster could be. No, I don't think New Orleans should be rebuilt in the same place or manner. They need a new plan, but they still will have a port there.

Really tough question, Laura!

I really think that there will be some form of New Orleans in the same location, if even just tourist/historical area but to rebuild an entire city there, the same way, wouldn't be smart. Yet, I have to think too that the historical buildings that have stood on Bourbon St. for hundreds of years have been okay until now, so why not rebuild at the same location?

I will not pretend to have answers or knowledge of the levee system there but it does seem to me that something more needed to be done throughout the past several years.

Lili said:
Another thought I had tonight...when disasters happen around the world the good ole USA is always one of the first ones out there to lend a helping hand...are we getting any offers of aid from other countries?
The short answer - yes, several of them and even from at least one country we typically oppose (Venezuela). However, we don't help out on all disasters, and nor do all other countries. This is small compared to the tsunami.

Nova said:
Exactly. By the time we all move out of the Western states (earthquakes and threat of tsunamis), the Midwest (tornadoes, floods and blizzards), and the Gulf and East Coasts (the obvious), where are we all going to live?
NOLA must be rebuilt, the question is:

do we have the national treasure and will to do it properly?

lex said:
yes mabel, why is it tornados only hit trailer parks?

I think it has something to do with the shiny metal on the roofs that attract them.

I live on the West Coast of Florida and I will tell, just one Hurricane 4 or 5 through this area and my butt is outta here!!!! Goodbye!!! Adios!!! Whatever. I can make a home anywhere, somewhere I don't have to live in anxiety from June until the end of November.

Does anyone know what has happened to the French Quarter? I am more concerned about the people, but I'd also really like to know if the French Quarter is completely ruined? I hate the thought of those pretty historic buildings being totally ruined.

txsvicki said:
Does anyone know what has happened to the French Quarter? I am more concerned about the people, but I'd also really like to know if the French Quarter is completely ruined? I hate the thought of those pretty historic buildings being totally ruined.

All I know is that Antoine's lost their first floor.

txsvicki said:

I *think* it was Tuesday that I heard that surprisingly the FQ is on a little bit higher ground and that it had not flooded. Surely that can't be the case now as the water has risen.

If it is ruined then it will never, ever be the same. I agree with you, people are more important but the architecture is a very important part of NO.

Anngelique said:
I was watching the news last night and I heard someone make a comment that my husband has been making for years now... why do people build up these big cities when they know they are in harms ways due to hurricanes? I mean it is like playing Russian Roulette. So do you guys think we should rebuild these cities or should people move further inland and use the coastline as more of a vacation spot? Should the tax payers keep doling out money for those who CHOOSE to live in spots such as these? I mean it is not IF they will get hit, it is WHEN will they get hit. I am not sure of my own feelings but it kind of makes sense to me to move out of such dire danger.

Before I get blasted my heart bleeds for all those affected by Katrina. I will be donating and I pray daily for them. I don't wish any ill on anyone and I am full of compassion for those who have lost lives and or property. I just wonder what should be done? What do we learn from all this? Is there a better answer than what we have been doing?

This could be quite a big can of worms to debate, but I am curious to others thoughts on this subject.

New Orleans is a very old city. Older than the USA! Although the location and altitude do leave a LOT to be desired, this is a tremendously important port city. New Orleans is a hub of art and oil businesses. It is inconceivable to me that it will not be rebuilt.

A little history......New Orleans was founded in 1718 by Jean Baptiste Le Moyne, sieur de Bienville, and named for the regent of France, Philippe II, duc d'Orleans. It remained a French colony until 1763, when it was transferred to the Spanish. In 1800, Spain ceded it back to France; in 1803, New Orleans, along with the entire Louisiana Purchase, was sold by Napoleon I to the United States.

One of my ancestors was a governor of New Orleans way back, way, way back. I cannot believe that New Orleans will cease to exist!

txsvicki said:

There's water on some streets of the French Quarter, but not all. I don't think it's as high as in some areas. But there will be some damage.

New Orleans was founded a long time ago and people didn't always plan things well. They still don't.

As for the people who didn't evacuate...Some were able but didn't, foolishly. Most left behind had no where to go and no way to get there.

I heard this yesterday about the levees, below sea level and that situation and if I understood it correctly maybe I can explain it. Anyway, the levees were built to protect the city from the Miss. River and Lake Pontchartrain but in doing so, it made it worse for the city as it's too protected now. The natural build up of soil that would come from (I think) low-level flooding hasn't happened in years and years and years. So it's kind of like a catch 22 I guess.

That's my very layman terms and understanding. Someone please feel free to correct me if this is incorrect.

shopper said:
I heard this yesterday about the levees, below sea level and that situation and if I understood it correctly maybe I can explain it. Anyway, the levees were built to protect the city from the Miss. River and Lake Pontchartrain but in doing so, it made it worse for the city as it's too protected now. The natural build up of soil that would come from (I think) low-level flooding hasn't happened in years and years and years. So it's kind of like a catch 22 I guess.

That's my very layman terms and understanding. Someone please feel free to correct me if this is incorrect.

You got it, babe. The ground is not being built up by natural deposits that would occur if the levy system were not in place. Instead, the land is actually sinking......

This article (that I just started reading) may add to the discussion. I looked it up because CNN interviewed the author earlier.

Drowning New Orleans A major hurricane could swamp New Orleans under 20 feet of water, killing thousands. Human activities along the Mississippi River have dramatically increased the risk, and now only massive reengineering of southeastern Louisiana can save the city
It's dated October 2001, btw.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheMidge
Back