Do I dare ask? Weigh in on your thoughts about Katrina

Someone called into Hannity's radio show yesterday. He grew up in LA and was asking, given that LA is one of the most corrupt states, who and how will all the billions of dollars that will be poured into the rebuilding be overseen.

Interesting question, tipper. I have just been researching the well known corruption and mismanagement of funds in Louisiana. I hate to think of pumping billions of dollars into that state unless there are some kind of controls to prevent diversion.

This might have already been discussed and I missed it - I'm trying to read so much so quickly, but....

What happens if they begin spending the billions of dollars to rebuild and before the levees are fixed and before the city is habitable again, but progress is being made - new phone and water and sewer lines, etc. - and another Cat 3 or 4 or 5 hurricane comes through and destroys all that progress? Do they go back to the drawing board and ask congress for more funding? I don't mean like in a month. I mean, like, if they're rebuilding and at the beginning of hurricane season next year rolls around and a massive hurricane hits there. What happens then?

less0305 said:
This might have already been discussed and I missed it - I'm trying to read so much so quickly, but....

What happens if they begin spending the billions of dollars to rebuild and before the levees are fixed and before the city is habitable again, but progress is being made - new phone and water and sewer lines, etc. - and another Cat 3 or 4 or 5 hurricane comes through and destroys all that progress? Do they go back to the drawing board and ask congress for more funding? I don't mean like in a month. I mean, like, if they're rebuilding and at the beginning of hurricane season next year rolls around and a massive hurricane hits there. What happens then?

This hasn't really been discussed before but it is a very valid concern. I am hoping that the funds for reconstruction are place with people who are concerned with the total future of New Orleans. I would like it to be a group of business people and envrionmentalists vs. the state or the fed.

I was speaking with an engineer friend yesterday and these are the types of issues we were talking about. IMO the levees will have to be built up to Cat 5 and reinforced at every point. Then you have the toxic ground water situation....all of that will have to addressed and this after the bulldozing of most of the homes around the lake and the ninth ward. If a house has 4 inches of toxic water in it you have to level it as the health risk is too great.

Honestly, I don't think New Orleans will be habitable for 6-8 months. So much work to do.

I can't find an appropriate thread but I amfrustrated. I see evacuees on TV with such dignity I want to offer them a job and unlimited money on the spot. What can I do to make their lives whole again? Then again I see people who make me think - It's not my job to tell you to breath in, breath out. Clearly I need a net....

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zerofoxgiven
Back