Ebola outbreak - general thread #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
It doesn't help that people in the affected areas are fearful of the doctors, drugs and isolation requirements needed to combat the disease. The leaders of the affected countries need to step it up with education among other remedies imo. Could take a year or more given what happened with HIV in its infancy.

Thanks for this thread. Well, not "thanks", exactly, but you know what I mean.

I will be watching carefully, and I appreciate the info.

Best-
Herding Cats

It will be interesting to see how well the British nurse fares now that he is in the UK receiving supportive therapy. Interesting sounds really cold, as if he is just some experimental organism, it isn't meant that way, but this man has received no 'wonder drug' so this is an ideal opportunity to see whether early and intensive support can help him pull through. From the sounds of it he is still relatively 'well' which would indicate that they have diagnosed him early which is good as they can start to provide supportive therapy right away before his immune system is overwhelmed.

Of course in Africa some of the patients do recover as well - if only we understood what the difference was between those that recover and those that do not (is it simply that the ones who present early enough have enough time to mount an immune system response whilst being given supportive therapy or are there other distinguishing factors?)

Anyway, I was rather dismayed to read some of the negative comments in the UK about bringing this man home. Anyone would think they were planning to dump him in the middle of Oxford Street to puke all over passers-by the way some people are getting hysterical over the issue.

It will be interesting to see how well the British nurse fares now that he is in the UK receiving supportive therapy. Interesting sounds really cold, as if he is just some experimental organism, it isn't meant that way, but this man has received no 'wonder drug' so this is an ideal opportunity to see whether early and intensive support can help him pull through. From the sounds of it he is still relatively 'well' which would indicate that they have diagnosed him early which is good as they can start to provide supportive therapy right away before his immune system is overwhelmed.

Of course in Africa some of the patients do recover as well - if only we understood what the difference was between those that recover and those that do not (is it simply that the ones who present early enough have enough time to mount an immune system response whilst being given supportive therapy or are there other distinguishing factors?)

Anyway, I was rather dismayed to read some of the negative comments in the UK about bringing this man home. Anyone would think they were planning to dump him in the middle of Oxford Street to puke all over passers-by the way some people are getting hysterical over the issue.

It was the same in the states, i read lots of comments essentially saying that allowing them into a US hospital was akin to putting ebola in the drinking water. In fact the husband of woman said he was surprised and shocked at all the negative responses he was getting and comments under that story were vicious. Saying it wasn't christian to expect to be cared for in the US and she put herself there, she should deal with it there etc.

It was the same in the states, i read lots of comments essentially saying that allowing them into a US hospital was akin to putting ebola in the drinking water. In fact the husband of woman said he was surprised and shocked at all the negative responses he was getting and comments under that story were vicious. Saying it wasn't christian to expect to be cared for in the US and she put herself there, she should deal with it there etc.

I don't see how they are going to contain it except isolating whole communities. These patients don't trust doctors. Also eat from one plate, etc.

"Mirkovic agrees. She says she understands why Ebola patients don't want to name names: There was a rumor going around the communities she worked in that getting on a contact list meant you would die -- and the deaths would happen in the same order as they appeared on the list."
http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/25/health/ebola-contact-tracing/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

It doesn't help that people in the affected areas are fearful of the doctors, drugs and isolation requirements needed to combat the disease. The leaders of the affected countries need to step it up with education among other remedies imo. Could take a year or more given what happened with HIV in its infancy.

HIV is much less infectious and lethal than Ebola.

You are certainly correct jjenny - I meant educating people on methods and getting them to use those methods to stop the spread took time. Sorry I wasn't more clear.

Warning: disturbing scenes.

"The Plague Fighters" NOVA

[video=youtube;qTcfnTISMDk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTcfnTISMDk[/video]

WHO has highlighted the heavy toll which the outbreak has taken on healthcare workers

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-28937197

This bit gave me pause for thought:

The WHO said the "heavy toll on health care workers" had consequences that further impeded control efforts, such as the closure of health facilities.

"Ebola has taken the lives of prominent doctors in Sierra Leona and Liberia, depriving these countries not only of experienced and dedicated medical care but also of inspiring national heroes," the WHO said in a statement.

"In many cases, medical staff are at risk because no protective equipment is available - not even gloves and face masks."

How incredibly sad to think of those dedicated people turning up to care for patients without even gloves to protect them.

Wow, how sad the UN or WHO has not ensured simple but essential items. No money for them? A few less perks always does the job. Jmo.

I saw that show. It is more scarier than any horror movie I have seen as it is real. :eek: :puke:

WHO pulls personnel from Ebola lab after worker infected. There are only two labs for testing.
"A WHO team arrived Tuesday in Kailahun to try to determine how the health worker became infected, review the living and working environment, and identify factors that could put others at risk.

Other health workers are waiting in Freetown to deploy to Kailahun when the investigation is complete, and appropriate action has been taken, Feig said. In the meantime, laboratory work will be performed at facilities in the eastern city of Kenema".
http://www.latimes.com/world/africa/la-fg-sierra-leone-ebola-20140826-story.html

We have similar issues here with misinformation about protection from disease, not trusting doctors, and assuming pharmaceutical companies have only evil motivations. Education doesn't seem to be the answer, since relatively educated people believe whatever they choose.

A fb "friend" of mine posted, "Watching things on vaccines. Who knew our doctors that we are supposed to be able to trust would condone such things to be injected into our children. They contain levels of mercury and other toxic ingredients that causes neurological damage, obesity, diabetes, Adhd, add and other things. It's sickening to know that our government, doctors and pharmaceutical companies don't care. All they care about is the money."

This friend's comments are not too different from some people in Ebola infected regions that spurn the work done by the WHO.

Thank you for posting this - sad and frightening viewing.

What really strikes me is what a toll this outbreak took, yet it was just focussed on ONE town in Zaire. Compare this to the current situation where practically whole countries are involved and it really brings home the nightmare situation which WHO are trying to control.

Liberia troops fire on protesters as West Africa's Ebola toll hits 1,350

Liberian authorities introduced a nationwide curfew on Tuesday and put the West Point neighborhood under quarantine to curb the spread of the disease.

"The soldiers are using live rounds," said army spokesman Dessaline Allison, adding: "The soldiers applied the rules of engagement. They did not fire on peaceful citizens. There will be medical reports if (an injury) was from bullet wounds."

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKBN0GR12X20140827?irpc=932

Freetown (AFP) - The three nations at the centre of the west African Ebola outbreak were left increasingly isolated on Wednesday as more airlines suspended flights to the crisis zone.

Air France agreed to Paris's request for a "temporary suspension" of services to Sierra Leone, leaving its capital Freetown and Monrovia in neighbouring Liberia with just one regular service, from Royal Air Morocco (RAM).

Air France's decision came a day after British Airways said it was suspending flights to Liberia and Sierra Leone until next year due to Ebola concerns.

http://news.yahoo.com/ebola-zone-countries-isolated-airlines-stop-flights-181224031.html

I know they do things differently there. And I really understand the need for quarantining neighborhoods/towns/cities.

But shooting??

Shooting??????

SMH...I weep for all. And pray for all.

Best-
Herding Cats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online